http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 07:38:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want Dragon Quest VIII, and I want it now.  (Read 6154 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2005, 04:44:18 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
OOH OOH!! Is it symphonic like?? Like on that old Dragon Warrior symphony CD released in Japan? That would rock so hardcore.

Well, I don't exactly know where this falls into the whole scheme of things, but I'll provide you these two links to find out yourself:

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/ - contains a whole bunch of video game music in PSF format (look under PSF2 for DQ8).

http://www.neillcorlett.com/he/ - WinAmp plugin to play said files.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2005, 06:03:39 PM »

Is DragonQuest the same thing as DragonWarrior?  Wasn't DragonWarrior a NES title...?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2005, 06:24:46 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Is DragonQuest the same thing as DragonWarrior?  Wasn't DragonWarrior a NES title...?

Yes.
Yes-Dragon Warrior 1-4 were on the NES, 5-6 on the SNES in Japan only, and 7 on the PS1.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2005, 06:38:12 PM »

The Dragon Quest series was renamed Dragon Warrior when originally brought to the US due to a trademark issue.  Now that the trademark has expired, SquareEnix is now calling the series Dragon Quest in the US as well.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2005, 11:40:36 PM »

Oh, glorious day - I have played the Dragon Quest 8 demo smile  There are two modes - story, which contains a small town, some story elements, and then a large wilderness area and cave, and battle, which is a large open area, where your party can fight monsters and level up.  The graphics are gorgeous, the voice acting is excellent (especially given the myriad of accents used - it fits the game perfectly), the writing/translation is great, and there are cool nostalgic touches sprinkled in the game from previous games in the series.  The battles are fast to load and play out, although at early levels, you're mostly limited to just plain attacks.

There's a great feeling of exploration in the game, from the tons of searchable/breakable objects in towns to the wide-open outside areas.  It feels both old and new.  It still feels like Dragon Quest, but there's nothing about it that seems out-of-date.  The only downside is that the demo is quite long, and you can't save.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2005, 12:03:11 AM »

Nice Eddie!  Sounds dandy!  Now I'll just need to grab that slime controller and play the actual game when it comes out . . .

The "new but old" feeling is a nice selling point.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2005, 01:18:45 AM »

That sounds perfect Eddie!! I looked at a few places and couldn't find it, but I will be going to more tomorrow! Where did you get it?
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2005, 02:06:27 AM »

Thanks for the impressions.  I'm going to make another sweep of the local stores tomorrow to see if anyone has it.  Yesterday one Gamestop didn't know what I was talking about, one EB didn't have it yet and another Gamestop said that it would arrive on Monday.

But persistence is a good thing, right?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2005, 02:10:03 AM »

I got mine for pre-ordering at Gamestop, and they rarely get the pre-order goodies.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2005, 02:37:14 AM »

I've had some luck talking the guys at Gamestop into giving me demos without preordering, so I'll try there again.  However, I already have the rest of my EB store credit earmarked for this game, so I might just go there.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2005, 12:21:43 AM »

I just put in about two hours of play time in the story portion of the demo and I loved every second of it. First off, I really enjoyed just wandering around the town and talking to the different characters. The townsfolks' dialog gives a little of the story and foreshadows some of the upcoming events. And, every once in a while, you get a slight bonus for peeking into every nook and cranny. It's perfect, and much better than most console RPGs where you spend half-an-hour talking to everyone in the town and then realize you could have just skipped everything and gone straight to the cut scene trigger without missing anything.

I died on the second level of the dungeon and decided to just stop there and wait for the final game. This game has shot to the top of my 1st day purchase list, up there with F.E.A.R. and the new Fire Emblem. I want to echo everything Eddie said--especially the bit about how the game feels familiar without seeming out of date.

If the rest of the game is as cool as the demo, DQ8's going to surpass Paper Mario 2 as my favorite RPG of this console generation. What's not to like? Fantastic graphics with a first-person mode, full day/night cycle, seamless overworld, and the traditional Dragon Quest turn-based battle system. If you like console RPGs, grab the demo--you won't be disappointed!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2005, 12:55:54 AM »

Thanks for the impressions.  You've answered the critical question: Is it fun?  That's what really matters.

I'm going to make the rounds again tomorrow and see if I can track down the demo.  I've had some fun conversations with RPG-loving game store staff while looking for it so far.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2005, 01:11:20 AM »

I've been wanting this demo SO bad!  Rage is sending me a copy (I <3 you Rage-a-rooni!) so that's good.

I don't know if this particular store is around anyone else, but Shopko had a pretty standard deal.  If you bought either Radiata Stories or Nascar 06, you would receive the Dragon Quest VIII demo disk free of charge.

Since I had to desire to pick up Nascar and already had purchased Radiata Stories, I went in there, asking if I could pay the "$4.99" value of the demo disk or they could just perhaps let me have a copy.

Nope.

So I went in there today, after the promotion ended yesterday, inquiring about all of their left over demo disks.  They told that they were just sending them back to the vendor.  I asked if I could perhaps pay $5 for one of them.

Nope.

Could I perhaps just snag a copy?

Nope.

So I'm waiting for a copy Rage is sending me.  Sounds like it's a winner!  Can't wait to play!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2005, 02:50:54 AM »

Rage has this game. Rage loves this game. I am a huge DQ fanboy, have been since DQ1 on the Nintendo when I was about 7. Anyways, I finally got this demo disc the other day and I am almost entirely impressed. I played the battle demo for a couple hours and spent a couple hours on the story mode until I got killed by the dungeons final boss.  

So, lets see, how to break this demo down:

Graphics: Cell shaded perfection. Detailed, extremely colorful, cute, fun, diverse, colorful. Great great stuff. Some of the outside worlds textures are a little blurry and low res, but the characters and monsters are just great-nice animations and terrific character models.

Sound: Classic DQ-the music is newer and nice symphonic stuff, but the sound effects are all old school DQ-if you don't like that or it annoys you, well, you might find some of the effects grating. Being an old fan, I love it.

Story so far: Not bad. Interesting enough to keep me going through the first town and the first dungeon. Fairly linear, classic DQ/FF style gaming. A little bit..what is the right word...simple from the demo-but that is one of the earliest parts of the game. I have a feeling that its going to be very linear at the beginning, but that shouldnt really be much of a suprise for DQ or FF fans. The fact that there is a reasonably large outside area to wander about in the first town makes me feel like while the main story and quests will be linear, actually wandering around will be a lot more free and interesting than FF's too linear rail-like locales. The story and dialogue itself is a tad...juvenile. I really don't mean that in a bad way. IMNSHO, a lot of console rpgs, especially J-RPGs, are very juvenile in comparison to most PC RPGs for instance. Either way, it's not that big a deal, but from the little story so far it seems interesting, but not deep, clever and funny, but a little juvenile, and the dialogue is either aimed at a slightly younger audience or is meant to be more slapstick in nature.

Battles: I think this is the only area where I am really not that happy. I am not unhappy either, I just didn't really get what I wanted. I also think the battle system is where they are going to lose some US gamers. The battles are pretty classic DQ. The enemies line up in front of you, you choose your attacks, and then the animations play out FF style. There are a few different kinds of attacks-regular, abilities, and spells. The abilities seem pretty cool and pretty varied, and the animations and effects are ok-but nowhere near FF caliber. Same with the spells. They look fine, but plain and not that interesting overall. There is a limit-break type idea, called psyching up, but I havent entirely figured out how it works, the GUI doesn't keep track of it, and it doesn't do a whole hell of a lot from my experimenting with it. The enemies are pretty cool though-a huge variety in the demo, they are fun and entertaining, and they have lots of different abilites. Overall though, the battle system is extremely old school, and while functional and fun, its probably still several steps behind most newer RPG's.

So as of now this is my most anticipated console game for the next several months. As a DQ fan I can't wait, and I really hope the full game builds on the promise of the demo.

No worries Deppy, I will mail it out tomorrow.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2005, 04:17:49 AM »

Two words - LEGO Slimes.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Two words - LEGO Slimes.

ROFL

I got ahold of the demo as well via my local Gamestop from preordering (as well as somehow my brother snagged me an extra copy), and the game just oozes classic Dragon Warrior. From how the turn-based battle system goes, to the classic sounds, this game reminds me so much of the games I used to love so long ago.

I was fearful of the voice acting going into this game (as most RPGs, well, suck in this department), but I'm very impressed. Some would say it's a bit overblown at times, but I love how there aren't just like 3 voice actors you'll hear over and over the entire game.

I can't wait for this game's release. Dragon Warrior VII was utter tripe IMHO, and this game looks to be the one that gets the series back on track.

*goes back to playing an almost fully translated Dragon Quest VI in the meantime* biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2005, 05:38:14 PM »

No luck here again.  Bleeping Gamestop will only give out the demo for a preorder (and yes, I can understand why), but I will not preorder a game there.  I'll preorder at EB, but of course they don't have any demos, even though I call them every day to ask  :wink:

Keep up the impressions guys.  At least I can enjoy the demo secondhand!  I really hope that the game lives up to the previews and the demo (what I've heard, anyway).

edit: forgot to add </rant>
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2005, 11:45:40 PM »

I played the demo and I have no idea what the big deal is.  But that is directed as much towards the entire genre known as console RPGs as much as it is this particular game.

I wish the art direction and general theme of japanese RPGs were more adult, more 'western', whatever you want to call it.  The spell names are goofy.  The dialogue is goofy.  The main character looks about 14, tops.  The monsters are little joke type creatures.  Etc.  Etc.

I'll also add that calling a game an RPG that has an occasional yes/no dialogue that doesnt matter at all seems like a stretch to me.  As much of a stretch as calling Diablo an RPG.  Stats and levels dont make a game an RPG.  Anyway.

As for this particular game, I found the Story mode to be boring.  Lots of running around talking to cardboard NPCs who recite the same non interactive dialogue over and over again.  The occasional 'story' NPC with VO and maybe a yes/no type choice that ultimately made no difference.  Granted its just a demo and I only played an hour, maybe the full game is different.

The combat was ok, I liked it I guess.  I am a sucker for turn based anything.

olaf
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2005, 12:14:01 AM »

Game looks really great, I do really miss the hand-drawn animations from DQVII, though.

I'll also add that calling a game an RPG that has an occasional yes/no dialogue that doesnt matter at all seems like a stretch to me. As much of a stretch as calling Diablo an RPG. Stats and levels dont make a game an RPG. Anyway.

Heh, they've been calling such games RPGs since the NES. Every FF and DQ are this way. Thought we'd all be used to it by now slywink
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2005, 03:04:15 AM »

When you're talking about console RPGs, DQ8 is an archetype of the genre.  The first Dragon Quest created the genre of console RPGs, with the first Final Fantasy coming not long after.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2005, 03:14:46 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
When you're talking about console RPGs, DQ8 is an archetype of the genre.  The first Dragon Quest created the genre of console RPGs, with the first Final Fantasy coming not long after.

Exactly. In a way, all console RPG-ing owes itself to DQ. If you don't like DQ, ok. If you don't like CRPGs, ok. Just remember though-DQ defines console RPGs.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2005, 03:35:18 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

Exactly. In a way, all console RPG-ing owes itself to DQ. If you don't like DQ, ok. If you don't like CRPGs, ok. Just remember though-DQ defines console RPGs.

Yeah, its interesting that PC and Console RPGs have very similar roots.  Console RPGs, including Dragon Quest, were very much inspired by the early PC RPGs like Wizardly and Ultima.  The original Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games really aren't that dissimilar to the PC RPGs of the time, only more limited in computing power.  But from Dragon Quest 1 and Final Fantasy 1, console RPGs developed down an "alternate" path from CRPGs.  

It seems like people who get up in arms about console RPGs being termed RPGs are those who were predominatly PC only until the last generation or two (though I don't know if that accurately describes Olaf).
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2005, 03:56:17 PM »

Release date for DQ VIII has been announced: November 22nd (same day as the 360 launch). They also announced that it will include a playable FF XII demo!

Source: http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2005/9/21-59
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2005, 05:22:04 PM »

/me adds another $50 tab to that day frown

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2005, 05:29:18 PM »

That FFXII demo pretty much seals the deal for me.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
depward

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2005, 05:42:07 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
That FFXII demo pretty much seals the deal for me.

Wow same here.  Pretty nifty!

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2005, 05:45:54 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Release date for DQ VIII has been announced: November 22nd (same day as the 360 launch). They also announced that it will include a playable FF XII demo!

Source: http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2005/9/21-59

Bloody son of a...

WHY must developers release all their games on the same day/week? And especially on the same day as a system launch! frown

Not gonna stop me from buying it day one though. smile

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2005, 06:42:04 PM »

The great RPG-related news just keeps on coming this week  biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2005, 07:41:39 PM »

Ok. There was ZERO chance I would not buy DQ8. I would have spent 70 on day 1 for a new, finally up to date with the times DQ game. But throw in the emeffing goshdamn holy smokes FFXII demo?? To the moon Alice, to the moon!!

WOOOOT!! I guarantee you with my level of FFX fanboiism I will probably play that demo obsessively before I even start DQ8. Woot!!
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2005, 07:46:40 PM »

Very cool. I'm not really hyped up about FFXII, but who knows after I play the demo  biggrin
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2005, 07:53:37 PM »

What would really be awesome is if they included a Kingdom Hearts II demo as well.  That game has supposedly been pushed back to a February 2nd release worldwide frown

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2005, 08:12:11 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
What would really be awesome is if they included a Kingdom Hearts II demo as well.  That game has supposedly been pushed back to a February 2nd release worldwide frown

So, lets see. DQ on 11/22-FFXII....Christmas maybe? and then KH2 on 2/2? What a fabulous 3 months for RPGing.

Seriously though, does anyone actually have any information on the FFXII release date?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2005, 08:17:45 PM »

I believe it comes out in Japan in April...FFXII is at least a June 2006 release here I think, probably next holiday unfortunately.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2005, 09:52:35 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I believe it comes out in Japan in April...FFXII is at least a June 2006 release here I think, probably next holiday unfortunately.

Oh wow! I didn't realize that at all. THat is a major major bummer for me. You mean we are going to have the demo in about 2 months and not have the game for possibly another year!!! Squenix, WHY??
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2005, 10:02:57 PM »

Final Fantasy XII is set for release in Japan on March 26, and Kingdom Hearts 2 is scheduled for Japanese release on December 22.  I'm guessing both are being localized as the games are being developed.  I'd guess the US releases will be spring for KH2 and fall for FF12, with hopefully Grandia 3 in the summer.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2005, 11:20:59 PM »

Mmmm . . . Grandia III *drool* . . .

I'll probably play the FF12 demo before actually playing DQ8.  I know, I'm a lamer   biggrin

depward

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2005, 03:18:51 AM »

Another thing I read in that story that no one has pointed out yet:

"Updates for the North American release include: voice-overs, a full-orchestral soundtrack, a completely renovated GUI menu system, new battle abilities, and improved animations."

Did the Japanese game not have a full-orchestral soundtrack?!  Anywho, pretty dang cool that we're getting that enhancement!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2005, 03:24:33 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Another thing I read in that story that no one has pointed out yet:

"Updates for the North American release include: voice-overs, a full-orchestral soundtrack, a completely renovated GUI menu system, new battle abilities, and improved animations."

Did the Japanese game not have a full-orchestral soundtrack?!  Anywho, pretty dang cool that we're getting that enhancement![/quote

So SEXAY!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: