http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:13:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think we really got the Phantom....  (Read 1034 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »

... but we got it in little bits.  I've been shocked how easily I consider game purchases on my Xbox 360 right now.  When I realized I had 19 purchased Live Arcade games, plus several large game expansions that were download only on my Xbox, it occured to me that Microsoft succeeded where Infinium Labs did not.  They made a home use, multimedia content system, got people to pay for the service, etc.  What is even worse...I hated the idea of the Phantom.  Purchase games that weren't really mine?  Blasphemy.  Remove physical content from my hands?  Ok, so I still have dvds of games at home..but there are a fair bit that are on my HDD.

I don't think I'll look at my Xbox 360 the same again, now that I have realized this.  But I may actually purchase a bigger HDD now.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:05:09 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on July 14, 2008, 09:54:09 PM

But I may actually purchase a bigger HDD now.

This consideration has become very real in our house.  I've hovered around 3 gigs of available space on my current HD, but that space is going fast with consistent Rock Band downloadable content and the upcoming release of Rock Band 2.  The 120 gig hard drive is looking less like a luxury and more like a necessity with each passing day.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 14, 2008, 10:05:09 PM

The 120 gig hard drive is looking less like a luxury and more like a necessity with each passing day.   

Once playing games from the hard drive comes, it's a done deal.  icon_evil

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:11:08 PM »

I've slowly gotten over my fear of not having physical media. When I started thinking about it, I realized that my money was virtual - my company doesn't pay me in cash. They pay me in numbers which are transferred to a bank which keeps track of my numbers, and subtracts the appropriate amount of numbers when I purchase something. I haven't carried cash in years, and if I can wrap my mind around the concept of something that important existing only in electronic form, then I should certainly be able to wrap my mind around the concept of purchasing minor luxuries like games and music in electronic form.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »

I am fine with non-media on the PC, but on my gaming consoles, I want media. I save lots and lots of money from lending/borrowing games to/from my friends. And used game sales help somewhat too. (Although they clearly help Gamestop more than us.) Of course, this is exactly why the game companies can't wait to go all digital distribution.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:53:07 AM »

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter with the promise of a brave new world under the clear blue skies?" - Pink Floyd

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 01:55:58 AM »

Quote from: Purge on July 15, 2008, 01:53:07 AM

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter with the promise of a brave new world under the clear blue skies?" - Pink Floyd

Actually it's, "Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?" but the sentiment was appreciated. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:07:21 AM »

Quote from: JCC on July 15, 2008, 01:00:24 AM

I am fine with non-media on the PC, but on my gaming consoles, I want media. I save lots and lots of money from lending/borrowing games to/from my friends. And used game sales help somewhat too. (Although they clearly help Gamestop more than us.) Of course, this is exactly why the game companies can't wait to go all digital distribution.

Agreed.  I hope everybody who loves digital distribution also loves never being able to sell their games when they're done with them.  I've got a copy of Warhawk on my PS3 which I detest, but how am I going to get my $45 back?  FUCK digital distribution.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »

Quote from: JCC on July 15, 2008, 01:55:58 AM

Quote from: Purge on July 15, 2008, 01:53:07 AM

Actually it's, "Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?" but the sentiment was appreciated. smile

Yeah.. I knew I missed something with it... I actually was digging out the Wall again to relisten to it. Tongue Gotta love it when an artist of one type refers to another just to make you think. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:48:20 AM »

I was quite amazed (and saddened) when I saw how much stuff I've bought through Live.

Counting Rock Band tracks I've easily spent over $1000 total.  I have 40ish Arcade games, plenty of expansions and addons and all but a couple RB tracks.

I REALLY wish I could get a 120gb HDD for a reasonable price, they'd more than make up the difference in money I'd spend on filling it up. slywink

My 20gb is down to about 1gb free with all my demos deleted and when RB2 hits I'm goign to be out of room completely.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 02:38:29 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 15, 2008, 11:48:20 AM

I REALLY wish I could get a 120gb HDD for a reasonable price, they'd more than make up the difference in money I'd spend on filling it up. slywink

That would make complete sense. Problem is, as an accessory, they have to mark the thing up by 500%. Microsoft just doesn't realize that the people who buy the bigger drives will more than likely spend a TON more on their Live services just to fill the thing up.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:08:55 AM »

After spending an entire day putting around 500 music CDs into binders for storage (threw away the case and covers), I have now fully flipped in to being okay without having physical media.  Bring it on!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: