http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 05:20:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think my Standard Def TV days are numbered  (Read 917 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:34:26 PM »

Yesterday, I finally picked up Mass Effect, a title I've been wanting since it's release.  I get home, crack open the case, pop the disk in and fire it up.  Like an excited little kid, I race through character creation to get to the gameplay (I'll go back and do it properly later).  The first text box pops up... and I can hardly read the fucking text!  This on my 27inch SDTV with Component.

Rainbow Six Vegas was bad.. but thankfully there wasn't much text.  But in an RPG I'm doomed.  I'm planning on buying an HDTV in the fall... but this changes things.  I may break down and buy a 22inch widescreen PC monitor, as you can get them for about $250 which will tide me over until the fall.

I'm really disapointed.  I wish that companies would put an option for larger text or something.. I can't imagine that would be hard to do.

Oh well.. just venting.

"Goonies never say die"
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »

Give Dead Rising a try sometime.  Even us widescreen HDTV owners were having difficulty making it out.  I don't think it would be humanly possible to read that game's text on a regular SDTV.

16-bit and loving it!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »

I have a 27 inch HDTV that I use with my 360 and in Kameo you can't tell how much money you have because the number on the screen is so tiny.  Apparently they only test these games on 50" plasma displays.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »

Amongst the best purchases of my life have been HDTVs. So much use of them, for them, with them.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:24:54 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on January 22, 2008, 05:39:25 PM

Give Dead Rising a try sometime.  Even us widescreen HDTV owners were having difficulty making it out.  I don't think it would be humanly possible to read that game's text on a regular SDTV.

I have a 32 inch HD and Dead Rising about made me go crazy like Tom Lazy.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »

All this time I thought it was just me getting old and going blind. I couldn't see the text in Dead Rising or R6:Vegas for squat. Luckily my new LCD HDTV solved that issue  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:09:39 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 08:22:51 PM »

I have a 22" SDTV, and haven't had any trouble reading anything in Mass Effect.  The only text I haven't been able to read is in Blue Dragon, where the names of enemies appear over their heads.  Some text is smaller than I like, but that's been the only illegible thing I've seen so far.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:15:18 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 22, 2008, 07:24:01 PM

Amongst the best purchases of my life have been HDTVs. So much use of them, for them, with them.

+1

I waited and waited and waited to get an HDTV, figuring that I really didn't need one and it was an extravagance. This December we got a big plasma. I immediately wished I had gotten one two years ago.

We use our TV about five to ten hours a week, but it makes everything on it so much more enjoyable. Worth every penny we paid.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 06:31:03 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on January 24, 2008, 06:15:18 PM

+1

I waited and waited and waited to get an HDTV, figuring that I really didn't need one and it was an extravagance. This December we got a big plasma. I immediately wished I had gotten one two years ago.

We use our TV about five to ten hours a week, but it makes everything on it so much more enjoyable. Worth every penny we paid.

I just got one this week and IT IS THE BOMBOMGBOMBOMG!

I've spent the past two days setting it to my liking (still need to get a new Harmony remote), but it is super. Forza 2, GHIII, PGR3 are all superb. The HD shows are quite cool too. I'm a little scared, though, at how much more time it will suck from my life...

HDFTW!

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »

Agree, in the singular.  We got our first one just before Christmas...lol wtf was I waiting on?  No idea.  If you are reading a computer game forum I can almost guarantee you will not regret going from SDTV to and HDTV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: