http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 02:07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I want a PSP. *Edit* PSP acquired, mission accomplished.  (Read 715 times)
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »

I need some help.  I'm thinking about picking up a PSP on the way home from work, but I'm kinda wishy-washy on the whole idea.  At this stage in the game is it worth while?  Or should I just wait until the 3DS comes out (I have a DS Fat).  

I was looking at that MGS: PW bundle to get me started, but I don't know.

I've got the feeling this is like asking a dealer how much dope I should buy, but I trust you guys.   retard
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:33:16 AM by ArmyOfOne » Logged
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »

It depends on what types of game you like. If you like Strategy RPGs and playing old PS1 games on the go I would say the PSP is a solid purchase.

If not I would wait on the next iteration of the PSP before buying.  I tried to play Peacewalker on my PSP and had to give up because of the controls.  Without a second analog stick any type of 3d action game, or sports game just doesn't work IMHO.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »

Game-wise I'm not really picky.  One of the big selling points is I get to go back and play the majority of Final Fantasy games.  I've only ever played I and XIII.  GoW:CoO and the Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines peak my interest as well.  I'm sure there are a fair amount to keep me busy.

I'm just wondering if it's worth while to buy now.  Is the current platform (PSP-3000) a cumbersome pile of rubbish, or have they pretty much ironed out all the bugs since it's inception?

Thanks for the input!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:36:32 PM »

The list of RPGs and strategy RPGs available for the PSP finally reached critical mass for me, and I bought a modded device last month along with a pile of games.  I was aiming to convert some of my collection of PS1 RPGs to play on the device, but didn't find the time.  Overall it's a great system if you like the games it has available.

This morning I gave it to my son as a reward for helping us in our recent move, so now I have to make a decision: cough up the $150 for a new 3000 at Gamestop, or $120 for a used (but possibly moddable) 2000?  Decisions, decisions.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:43:39 PM »

i'd say check out the psn store. otherwise, as denoginizer said, depending on what you're into, there's a lot of good stuff available at this point (never mind if you get an older model & hack it smile )...

&, while i agree the controls can be frustrating afa action games, i've been able to play & enjoy whichever of them i've wanted to, including peace walker...

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on July 23, 2010, 07:32:50 PM

Is the current platform (PSP-3000) a cumbersome pile of rubbish, or have they pretty much ironed out all the bugs since it's inception?

not really sure what you're referring to. at all smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on Today at 02:32:50 PM
Is the current platform (PSP-3000) a cumbersome pile of rubbish, or have they pretty much ironed out all the bugs since it's inception?

To be honest neither do I.  I'm assuming like most gaming platforms there were issues that the majority of the consumer base didn't like or turned people off altogether.  If not, then all the better  icon_biggrin

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:00:50 PM »

There are many fantastic games for the PSP. There is absolutely no reason to wait. If you enjoy RPGs, I would also recommend you grab the excellent Persona 3 Portable. For strategy RPGs, I would start with Final Fantasy:War of the Lions and then grab Jeanne D'Arc.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on July 23, 2010, 07:58:44 PM

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on Today at 02:32:50 PM

To be honest neither do I.  I'm assuming like most gaming platforms there were issues that the majority of the consumer base didn't like or turned people off altogether.  If not, then all the better  icon_biggrin

The PSP has always been incredibly stable and well built. The original PSP had some issues with the D Pad, but even that was very minor. Most upgrades have been to increase features and reduce weight. The screen on the 3000 apparently has a few minor screen issues with certain games, but it is very well built.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:19:21 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:17:10 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 23, 2010, 08:00:50 PM

There are many fantastic games for the PSP. There is absolutely no reason to wait. If you enjoy RPGs, I would also recommend you grab the excellent Persona 3 Portable. For strategy RPGs, I would start with Final Fantasy:War of the Lions and then grab Jeanne D'Arc.

Even if you didn't buy another game, these three alone would justify a PSP purchase.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »

I picked one up a month or two ago through GT and have been very pleased. Also nice, is most games are very cheap on Goozex smile. Lots of good RPGs on the horizon, in addition to Persona 3, FF IX, and others that came out recently.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 09:53:06 PM »

I think the PSP has an amazing library that more than justifies the purchase price (though I would recommend against AC: Bloodlines unless it's really cheap). 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »

I was a rabid PSPer until a couple years ago. Haven't touched my two PSPs since then.

To me the crying shame was that most developers that did something I liked on PSP just saw it as a stopgap measure or stepping stone to developing for the full consoles. I loved the games mentioned here along with Dungeons and Dragons Tactics, and Warhammer 40K: Squad Command, but stuff like Killzone: Liberation and SOCOM Tactical Strike were my favorites. I assume the devs just can't make enough money on PSP to justify focusing on it, or even doing more than one game for it.

I didn't find it much fun owning a system where my favorite games were always "one and done."  icon_frown

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 11:35:05 PM »

Done deal.  Picked up a PSP-3000, Final Fantasy, Persona 3 Portable and a 4Gb Memory Stick.

Pretty kick ass,  thanks guys!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on July 23, 2010, 11:35:05 PM

Done deal.  Picked up a PSP-3000, Final Fantasy, Persona 3 Portable and a 4Gb Memory Stick.

congrats! - you done got persona-fied smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 12:10:07 AM »

Nice. 

In addition to your current games I will second the above recommendation for Killzone Liberation.  God of War Chains of Olympus is also great.  Another must have is Lumines.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 03:44:18 AM »

Done deal.  Picked up a PSP-3000, Final Fantasy, Persona 3 Portable and a 4Gb Memory Stick.

Pretty kick ass,  thanks guys!

Nice work.  Which Final Fantasy did you get (FF1, FF2, FFVII Crisis Core, FF Tactics, or Dissidia?)

If it's FF Tactics, I can't even begin to imagine the time sink between it and Persona 3.  I've put in well over 150 hours between those two games.   eek

ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 24, 2010, 03:44:18 AM

Done deal.  Picked up a PSP-3000, Final Fantasy, Persona 3 Portable and a 4Gb Memory Stick.

Nice work.  Which Final Fantasy did you get (FF1, FF2, FFVII Crisis Core, FF Tactics, or Dissidia?)

If it's FF Tactics, I can't even begin to imagine the time sink between it and Persona 3.  I've put in well over 150 hours between those two games.   eek

The Final Fantasy I remake.  But I haven't even touched it yet.  I've been playing Persona 3 and haven't put it down yet.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 09:20:13 PM »

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on July 24, 2010, 09:05:50 PM

The Final Fantasy I remake.  But I haven't even touched it yet.  I've been playing Persona 3 and haven't put it down yet.

Just personal opinion, but the FF1 port isn't very good.  Unless you're in it for nostalgia's sake, I'd swap it for one of the other FF games which are far, far better games.

ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »

Yeah, I plan on going through them all.  I had the original NES version when I was younger, and I picked up XIII recently.  But I haven't played any of the titles in between.  I figure this is a excellent way to catch up on the franchise.

I'm looking for a decent platformer too.  Looks like Little Big Planet and Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles should be good.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 10:27:58 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 24, 2010, 09:20:13 PM

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on July 24, 2010, 09:05:50 PM

The Final Fantasy I remake.  But I haven't even touched it yet.  I've been playing Persona 3 and haven't put it down yet.

Just personal opinion, but the FF1 port isn't very good.  Unless you're in it for nostalgia's sake, I'd swap it for one of the other FF games which are far, far better games.

I'm going to parrot Gratch on Final Fantasy I. It is not very impressive. But considering its age, that is to be expected. I would also swap it out unless you are committed to playing through the series.

While I'm at it, let me recommend some other stuff you may wish to research. I'll try to cover a variety of genres. Don't forget about the demos on PSN. Even if you don't have a PS3 you can download them via the PC:

SRPG
Final fantasy: War of the Lions
Jeanne D'Arc
Yggdra Union
Wil Arms XF
Disgaea (both titles)

RPG
Persona (the first game)
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Star Ocean (both titles)
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Crimson Gem Saga

Platform
Ratchet and Clank:Size Matters
Little Big Planet
Hammerin Hero (goofy but very cool)
castlevania

Strategy (standard-not SRPG)
Metal Gear Ac!d (both titles)
SOCOM: tactical Strike
Warhammer Squad Command

Action
GTA Chinatown
Killzone:Liberation
Resistance:Retribution
Final fantasy Dissidia

Horror
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Shattered Memories

Rhythm
Patapon (both titles)

Upcoming titles I would recommend you take a look at are Valkyria Chronicles 2, Ys 7, Knights in the Nightmare

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:31:02 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »

I thought LocoRoco 2 was pretty awesome.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 01:12:02 AM »

I haven't started Loco Rocco 2, but my wife's been playing it as a study break
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »

Patapon (never played 2) was a standout;  Lumines 1 and 2 are basically the same game but both are fantastic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: