http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 05:05:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I need to quit gaming for a while  (Read 1470 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2005, 05:00:37 PM »

I think I might need a break from gaming for a while.  I don’t know if it’s the games themselves, or if it’s the fact that I have become the stereotypical cynical, jaded gamer, but I just don’t seem to be enjoying gaming anymore.  Nearly everything I play has that been-there-done-that feeling to it, and there is absolutely nothing that feels remotely innovative or creative.  Even when I come across a game that I enjoy, there are always these little things that frustrate me and I’ll quit playing.  For example, I was really quite enjoying Digital Devil Saga.  The artwork, music, characters, story…everything was great.  But the encounter rate took the frustration level through the roof, and I quit playing.  A few years ago, I may have soldiered on and tried to finish, but now I simply lose interest and figure the frustration level isn’t worth it.  It is a very rare occasion that I put more than 8 hours into a game, and that seems a struggle even with games I enjoy.    Hell, I recently sold Castlevania DS, Advance Wars DS, and Black & White 2 after only a week.  They received great reviews and I really wanted to like them, but every time I sat down with them, I either got frustrated or bored within an hour.

Honestly, I’m really hoping that taking a break for a while will renew my interest in what has been my favorite hobby for the last 15+ years.  I just wish that there was a game that could give me that ‘Wow’ feeling that I used to get when playing games.  A game that I could sit down to play, look up the clock and realize that 3 hours just flew by.  It’s been far too long since that happened, and maybe stepping away for a while will help.

We’ll see.  frown

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 05:09:48 PM »

Sounds like you need a good dose of multplayer. Single player games are great but playing with other people makes games a whole new experience.

For example playing BF2 last night with Doomboy and we were on Mash City not sure if your familar with the concept of conquest but the there are several strategic sites marked by a flag the idea is to take and keep these sites.

Well my squad was at the mosque site and the flag kept dropping and we couldn't figure out why, there were no MEC soldiers around then it occured to me the bastards were on the roof. Oh and not just one bastard like 5 or 6 of them. Hadn't even occured to me to do that but sure enough they did, it took a helicopter dropping them off but it's do able. Of course we dug em out with grenades and arty strikes but thats the point never know what your going to get against other human players. Even if doomy didn't have any freaking grenades to help out with..

Ascendent
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 05:12:29 PM »

Monagamy can be good.  Give one game a try and really focus on that one game.

Also stop reading previews.  For me that is the biggest detractor from the games I am playing - seeing all the games that looks so much better, play so much better, etc. just around the corner.  I think that is the downside to the Internet age.  It used to be I would get a magazine and it would talk about a game - and I had never heard of it, or seen screenshots!  Now it feels like no game is new, everything is previewed to death, we have developer diaries, screenshots, promo videos, etc.  Take a brake from the glut of information for awhile and I think things might be more fun.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 05:16:18 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I just wish that there was a game that could give me that ‘Wow’ feeling that I used to get when playing games.  A game that I could sit down to play, look up the clock and realize that 3 hours just flew by.  It’s been far too long since that happened, and maybe stepping away for a while will help.
Well, I think the first step is trying to identify the elements of the games you played for timeless periods.

I really don't think a lack of innovation is the problem.  It helps, sure, but I've played plenty of non-innovative stuff that's extremely compelling.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Sounds like you need a good dose of multplayer. Single player games are great but playing with other people makes games a whole new experience.

For example playing BF2 last night with Doomboy and we were on Mash City not sure if your familar with the concept of conquest but the there are several strategic sites marked by a flag the idea is to take and keep these sites.

Well my squad was at the mosque site and the flag kept dropping and we couldn't figure out why, there were no MEC soldiers around then it occured to me the bastards were on the roof. Oh and not just one bastard like 5 or 6 of them. Hadn't even occured to me to do that but sure enough they did, it took a helicopter dropping them off but it's do able. Of course we dug em out with grenades and arty strikes but thats the point never know what your going to get against other human players. Even if doomy didn't have any freaking grenades to help out with..

Ascendent

Actually, I have never enjoyed multiplayer games.  Some of it is the obnoxious-profanity-spewing-12-year-old to decent gamer ratio, some of it is the fact that I don't have enough 'practice' gaming time to actually be good enough to enjoy it, and some of it is the simple fact that gaming - for me - is a very individual hobby.  (Hence my penchant towards RPG's)

i've tried both MMORPG's (which I absoutely despise, but that's a whole 'nother topic) and online shooters, and quickly grew tired of both.  I did enjoy playing the first UT online, but that's about it.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 05:27:25 PM »

I hear what you are saying Gratch.  It's the anticipation of the next "wow factor" game that actually keeps me going.  I may go through 100 games and that 101st game is the "wow" game.  It's worth the trip.

In the past several (3-4) years, there have been only the following games that I finished and enjoyed to the point of a "religious experience".  Those games were:

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
HALO 1
Advent Rising (Xbox)
Luigi's Mansion
Legend of Zelda:  The Windwaker

That's it!  And I've played a ton of games in the last few years and only those six are the ones I completed and overwhelmingly enjoyed.  It's the "next one" that keeps me going.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy the "other" games but I certainly didn't finish them, playing them only to the point that I "got my fill".

That's how I approach gaming.

Edited to add Windwaker - Purge reminded me in his post!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 06:17:36 PM »

Half-Life 2, Halo 1 & 2, Dynasty Warriors Version 3,4 and 5, Burnout 3 (and revenge is really good too). RE4 and Zelda have also entertained me beyond the point of remembering to go to bed. smile

I dunno, I tend to be a cynical gamer, but I love me a few games that feel worth it to slog through the mediocre (such as the Hulk slywink ). I used to love Anime RPGs, but since not having a PS2 for 3 years, I've been out of touch with them. I tried to go back, but frankly the ones I've tried (FF8 and FF9) were so overwrought and predictable I lost interest.

I'd also have to say some of the TC games have been enough to keep me going; multiplayer LIVE is a definate IN~ for me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 07:47:56 PM »

I have had periods like this. I think everyone does. I think there are a few options here:

1. Take an extended break and get the fire back-or see if it comes back.
2. Concentrate on one game and one game only of your favorite genre and stick with it.
3. Go back to your favorite game of all time and play through it-if you can't enjoy that, then maybe you do have a problem smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Half-Life 2, Halo 1 & 2, Dynasty Warriors Version 3,4 and 5, Burnout 3 (and revenge is really good too). RE4 and Zelda have also entertained me beyond the point of remembering to go to bed. smile

That's the sad part.  I've tried every one of those games, and the only one I enjoyed for more than a few hours was Burnout 3.  If I can't get into the supposed 'best of the best', then maybe I am hopeless.  Hell, I even bought a Gamecube twice - once when Zelda came out and once when once when RE4 came out.  Ended up selling it both times because once I realized I didn't care for either game, there wasn't anything else that made me want to keep it.

One of my biggest pet peeves (I do realize I'm in the minority here) is the trend towards open-ended gaming.  There is nothing I hate more than wandering around wondering what to do next.  Many of the newer RPG's are leaning that way by giving 8,000 different quests and letting the player decide which to do first.  No thanks.  I much prefer something stricly linear like FFX where I'm lead from place to place with a strong narrative and memorable characters.  Hell, even platformers - which used to be simple, straightforward fun - are picking up on the trend.  I tried Jak 3 a while back and ended up wandering around for an hour wondering what the hell I was supposed to be doing.  Granted, I'm probably just an idiot and missed something obvious, but it insanely frustrating.  This probably sounds like a 'grumpy old man' rant, so I'll stop while I'm ahead.  slywink

I like the idea of sticking with one game.  I'm mainly an RPG gamer, but I do enjoy stealth action (mainly the Thief and Tenchu variety, not the Splinter Cell or Metal Gear type.  Not into military games of any type.).  maybe I'll play through one of those again, as I thoroughly enjoyed both those games.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 09:59:10 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
3. Go back to your favorite game of all time and play through it-if you can't enjoy that, then maybe you do have a problem smile

i like that suggestion - i had as much fun replaying the original tomb raider this year as i've had with all the new stuff i've enjoyed. &, kinda along the same lines, i'd suggest trying an oldie or 2 you never got around to playing - doesn't always work, but when it does (most recently, for me, the 2 zelda 'oracle' games) it can be a surprisingly good time...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 10:21:36 PM »

I think this really depends on how much you game, I play games whenever I feel like it, or when I have time. I dont have very much time to sit down a play games every day for 3 hours at a time. I play games maybe 3 times a week, or something, and I ususally play sports games, racing, and hockey as of lately, but i got bored with the racing and now I'm playing hockey, so when I get bored with that, maybe I'll play some racing again, or just not play games for a few weeks or something.

I dont think playing games everyday and enjoying every minute of it is realistic. I love the Grand Theft Auto series, but I didnt enjoy every minute of the 50 hours + I put into the game to get 100%, I was very upset and frustrated at times and I took a break for 3 months of that game at one point.

I think your just having a down period in your gaming world right now.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 10:30:29 PM »

I felt like that until I got a DS and some of the games that take advantage of the unique features.  Damn, I love the DS and the games that I have for it.  biggrin

xbox live: nude rick james
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 11:44:09 AM »

Gratch, you have a friend.  I could have EASILY written this myself.  I think there are several problems with gaming:

1) I've "been there and done that" a MILLION times.  

2) They go out of their way to make games difficult.  Not enough easier options and many games EVEN LIMIT INGAME SAVING!!!!  I guess they wrongly figure everyone has the time AND enjoys replaying sections OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  Wrong!

3) Online is a fresh experience, but that is *totally* ruined with: a) People with horrible attitudes b) Foul mouthed hot-tempered opponents c) No teamwork d) **Cheating**

Gaming has some serious obstacles to overcome if it intends to grow.  I have tons of disposable cash and find little reason to spend it.

I think I might need a break from gaming for a while.  I don’t know if it’s the games themselves, or if it’s the fact that I have become the stereotypical cynical, jaded gamer, but I just don’t seem to be enjoying gaming anymore.  Nearly everything I play has that been-there-done-that feeling to it, and there is absolutely nothing that feels remotely innovative or creative.  Even when I come across a game that I enjoy, there are always these little things that frustrate me and I’ll quit playing.  For example, I was really quite enjoying Digital Devil Saga.  The artwork, music, characters, story…everything was great.  But the encounter rate took the frustration level through the roof, and I quit playing.  A few years ago, I may have soldiered on and tried to finish, but now I simply lose interest and figure the frustration level isn’t worth it.  It is a very rare occasion that I put more than 8 hours into a game, and that seems a struggle even with games I enjoy.    Hell, I recently sold Castlevania DS, Advance Wars DS, and Black & White 2 after only a week.  They received great reviews and I really wanted to like them, but every time I sat down with them, I either got frustrated or bored within an hour.

Honestly, I’m really hoping that taking a break for a while will renew my interest in what has been my favorite hobby for the last 15+ years.  I just wish that there was a game that could give me that ‘Wow’ feeling that I used to get when playing games.  A game that I could sit down to play, look up the clock and realize that 3 hours just flew by.  It’s been far too long since that happened, and maybe stepping away for a while will help.

We’ll see.  frown
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 11:47:06 AM »

I am soooooooooooooooo loving this. LOL!  I could not agree more!!!!!!!

Gaming either descends into having to play a difficult section OVER and OVER and OVER OR not knowing what to do next.

Amen! Amen!  Amen!

This is not an isolated problem either.  I've seen the statistic many times indicating that a very small percentage of games are played until the end.  Why is that?????  That's sad.  My prediction is they they either got bored (could not figure out what to do next) OR gave up (got stuck).

One of my biggest pet peeves (I do realize I'm in the minority here) is the trend towards open-ended gaming.  There is nothing I hate more than wandering around wondering what to do next.  Many of the newer RPG's are leaning that way by giving 8,000 different quests and letting the player decide which to do first.  No thanks.  I much prefer something stricly linear like FFX where I'm lead from place to place with a strong narrative and memorable characters.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »

I'm mainly an RPG gamer, but I do enjoy stealth action (mainly the Thief and Tenchu variety, not the Splinter Cell or Metal Gear type.  Not into military games of any type.).  maybe I'll play through one of those again, as I thoroughly enjoyed both those games.

Hmm.  Did you play the T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age expansion for Thief II?  It's pretty fantastic.  And free!

http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=T2X will get you to the Bittorrent file.

Fileplanet link
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 02:48:44 PM »

I like the idea of sticking with one game.  I'm mainly an RPG gamer, but I do enjoy stealth action (mainly the Thief and Tenchu variety, not the Splinter Cell or Metal Gear type.  Not into military games of any type.).  maybe I'll play through one of those again, as I thoroughly enjoyed both those games.

If you enjoyed the Thief series then I'd reccomend the 'unofficial' Thief 2 expansion that came out awhile ago(after years of waiting). It's as well done as any of the official Thief stuff.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 02:52:32 PM »

Quote from: "DiamondDecision"
I am soooooooooooooooo loving this. LOL!  I could not agree more!!!!!!!

Gaming either descends into having to play a difficult section OVER and OVER and OVER OR not knowing what to do next.

Amen! Amen!  Amen!

This is not an isolated problem either.  I've seen the statistic many times indicating that a very small percentage of games are played until the end.  Why is that?????  That's sad.  My prediction is they they either got bored (could not figure out what to do next) OR gave up (got stuck).

One of my biggest pet peeves (I do realize I'm in the minority here) is the trend towards open-ended gaming.  There is nothing I hate more than wandering around wondering what to do next.  Many of the newer RPG's are leaning that way by giving 8,000 different quests and letting the player decide which to do first.  No thanks.  I much prefer something stricly linear like FFX where I'm lead from place to place with a strong narrative and memorable characters.

The tendency of most players to not finish a game has been around long before the GTA 'open ended gameplay' trend came about.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 05:33:57 PM »

Well, I think the first step is trying to identify the elements of the games you played for timeless periods.
 LE, that's a great idea to start with.  Also, the suggestions to go back to a game you loved and try that - and maybe way back - try the NES Legend of Zelda, or the Cube version (if you picked up another Cube) - totally simple, and addicting.

I can't remember all the great advice I just read, but I'd try them if you really don't want to give up the old hobby.  I thought I'd lost my desire for video games, too, a little while back, but then I played Thief on the XBox.  That led to Doom 3 and Riddick - and I was back into it.

Don't give up on multi-player totally, either. You could go to the multiplayer forum here, and post what your playing preferences are (like whether you run and gun, or have to open every box and barrel), and you could play co-op, against the game, not live opponents.   PS2 Ratchet:  Deadlocked might be your cup of tea (Oct. 25 release), I played a ton, and only ran into one person I really couldn't stand playing with, and another that I could "tolerate".  All the rest were quite mature and fun. And the regular version will allow you to see who's in a game before you join.  Remember not to play anytime around 3 PM when school lets out!

Also, the XBox 360 Live will have different zones you can join - check the latest EGM mag for details, I believe one was no-profanity, another sounded like a less-competitive "fun" group, or something similar.  I think there are five zones you'd be able to choose, plus you can play with, and against, a lot of folks here.

For single player, like Starshifter said, try lots of games (old, cheap ones, too, like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, or Sudeki), give them a decent shot so you have a chance to get hooked, and play only games that allow you to save anywhere and that have difficulty levels.  Don't put up with frustration just to keep to your normal difficulty level - games are supposed to be fun!  Whoever invented save points was a sadist...

And that's the other reason I suggest old, cheap, used games - burn thru a bunch of them if you want, until you hit the one that grabs you.  Often, you only need one to get you going again.  Just give them long enough to know it's not for you, then move on.  And don't worry about finishing them - worry about whether you had fun and got your money's worth.  The only frustration you should be putting up with is the small amount you get when you have to try to kill an enemy more than once - but then you're rewarded by the feeling of fulfillment.  If the game isn't rewarding enough to play through that, don't bother.

I also don't understand when people say they don't like open-ended games, because they don't know what they're supposed to be doing.  I'm sure some are like that, but ES: Morrowind wasn't.  From the time you step off the boat you are told what to do - the only difference is that there are a ton of choices available if you want them.  But  you had the main quest, with instructions on what to do next, then you join a guild or two, with specific goals and rewards. All the while you're also working toward various higher skill levels.  The - "can't stop, must do one more quest..." factor was fantastic.  

Way too much advice here... but one more bit:  try a different genre, maybe one very close to your old favorite (like an "action" or "real-time" RPG instead of turn-based.)  A non-RPG example: Wolfenstein - you say you don't like military games, but when you play it, you see it isn't really a military game.  It's some enemy-killing (guns and grenades), a little puzzle solving, a little stealth - and zombies, too.  

You won't have to worry about taking a break - if you read this whole thread, you're getting a pretty long break, lol!

Good Luck!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 07:21:22 PM »

Those are my thoughts exactly!!!  I seem to have some problems with open-ended RPGs.  I mean, you're a Shadow Hearts: Covenant fanboy like I am.  One of my favorite games of all time.  Pretty dang linear (except towards the end to get everyone's ultimate weapons/armor).

Have you played the original Shadow Hearts?  It's pretty much the same formula as Covenant.  Very great game.

I'm gaming a lot on my DS.

Or just take a break!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: