http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:35:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I'm having too much fun with 24: The Game  (Read 981 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:56:02 AM »

Decided to just rent this because of things I have heard around various forums before its release...

And they were true - the game itself isn't very good.  

But you know what?  They have the presentation down, the cinematics are gorgeous and totally have that 24 feel and the story has already pulled a few twists on me!

I am nearly halfway through the game after about 3-4 hours played today, so I wouldn't even think about purchasing this at its current price, but it's a fun game for any fan of the show, I think.

Oh, and one of the very cool things are the different gameplay styles they've plugged into the game.  None of them are done particularily well, but by the time you've nearly had enough of one type, it'll switch you over to the next.

I gotta recommend a rental to any fan of the show - it is just incredibly cool to literally be "playing" a season of 24.  Granted, it's not played very well, but it's cool to see what transpired between season's 2 and 3.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 01:28:41 AM »

I'm having a blast with it too.  I'm not as hard on the gameplay as most though- the core third person combat segments are solid, if unspectacular, and most resemble the mechanics from Everything or Nothing.  

Driving sucks.  I don't know what they were thinking when they developed the driving model.  It's been a pretty minor part of the game so far though (I just hit 10 pm).  

The little hacking mini games are decent enough diversions.  

As TML said, the mission variety is really good.  One of the more interesting missions so far had Jack having to blend in with a tour group and sneak away at various points to do nefarious things and still make it back to the group before he was missed.  And I think I'm the only person on the planet to really enjoy the Kim stealth level.  All in all I would call the overall gameplay average with the occassional awful bits balanced by some truly inspired segments.  

Presentation is outstanding.  The game looks great, supports progressive scan and widescreen, and the cinema sequences really feel like outttakes from the show.  And the plot is outstanding- some great twists and so far it actually seems less full of holes than the show even if it is just as outlandish.  And they really amp up the events so that they are actually doing some things in the game they could never afford to do on the show.  This truly does feel like a missing season of the show.  

All in all it's a really fantastic use of the license.  If you don't like or haven't seen 24 then it's a definite pass.  For fans of the show, it's at least a must rent.  

And a great bonus to us Angel fans- one of the main bad guys is portrayed in both voice and likeness by Christian Kane who played Lindsey on that show.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 01:45:06 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
And I think I'm the only person on the planet to really enjoy the Kim stealth level.

I really disliked that level biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 02:00:37 AM »

"You don't play as Jack Bauer. You merely give Jack Bauer suggestions."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 02:12:50 AM »

I like the part where you attach the car battery to the guy's nuts.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 02:33:46 AM »

CHLOE, OPEN UP SOME SOCKETS FOR ME, NOW!

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 03:26:09 AM »

DAMMIT!  WE NEED MORE TIME!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 04:25:29 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I am nearly halfway through the game after about 3-4 hours played today, so I wouldn't even think about purchasing this at its current price, but it's a fun game for any fan of the show, I think.

Well then it's not truly 24 after all, is it?  :wink: I'll probably rent this one, since I really haven't watched the series at all. <*gasp!*>

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 04:35:28 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Well then it's not truly 24 after all, is it?  :wink: I'll probably rent this one, since I really haven't watched the series at all. <*gasp!*>

If you have even an inkling of ever watching the series then avoid the game- It will pretty heavily spoil the first two seasons.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 04:37:20 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

Oh, you MUST watch the series!  

I usually don't rent games, but for this I might just to get the whole story of what happened after S2.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 09:22:56 PM »

Just beat it.  Very cool story, loved the presentation.  If the game didn't have the 24 license, I wouldn't have played it, most likely.  ALTHOUGH, the more I played the on-foot action parts, the more I liked them.  Getting headshots is fun biggrin  Plus, it uses the Havok physics engine, so some cool death animations here and there was a plus.

If you get above a 90% completion rating on a mission, you get a bonus.  I unlocked Carlos Bernard's interview - but I want Reiko's!  Anyone know which mission I have to get 90% on for her interview??

NM, FOUND IT!

6am - Wired to Blow: Interview with Reiko Aylesworth movie

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 09:38:38 PM »

That minute of Reiko footage was worth the rental ALONE.

<3 Michelle <3

ANYWAY, plot discussions follows (so, spoilers for those who haven't seen season's 1-3)

Spoiler for Hiden:
A few questions...where was the budding romance I was getting ready to see between Michelle and Tony?

I guess the end sort of shows why Kate and Jack decided to end it.  I'm not sure she wants to be taken hostage that much!  Also, he totally got on the helicopter and left her with Chase, talk about DISSING your GIRL!

I wanted more Nina.  I think she showed up ONCE.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 10:01:56 PM »

I think I might give this one a rent as well.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 10:20:49 PM »

ANYWAY, plot discussions follows (so, spoilers for those who haven't seen season's 1-3)

I'll finish it up tonight (I just made it to 4am when I had to go to bed last night) but:

On your first point, I noticed the game really downplayed a lot of the personal lives of the characters, particularly the conflicts.  Chappelle, in particular, folded way too easily to Jack's antics.  I don't see that as much of a complaint though- that type of stuff didn't really seem to fit into the context of a videogame.

And on your third point, I think it was necessary to minimize her involvement since anything much larger wouldn't have fit in with S3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: