http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 12:51:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I'm going to sell my PSP  (Read 1825 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2005, 04:32:14 PM »

Stupid impulse purchases.  I basically picked up my PSP on a whim (largely due to the CG forum effect, I might add) because it did look really cool.  I'm not into multiplayer gaming, and I don't have much need for a portable system, but I just couldn't resist the allure of a sexy new gadget.  Now that I've had it for a month or so, I realize that there's really not that many games for it that interest me, nor are there many coming out that make me want to keep it.  So far I've been through:

-  Untold Legends (starts off good, gets repetitive & boring very quicly)
-  Wipeout Pure (a fun racer, but I wasn't terribly good at it)
-  Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (I liked the old Tony Hawk games, but the open-endedness of the Underground series really bugs me.  Besides, I spend close to 2 hours just trying to get past one stupid trick in the tutorial.  I guess I'm just not good enough)
-  Lumines (It just didn't grab me like it has everyone else.  It's a decent puzzler, but I really didn't see what all the fuss is about)
-  FIFA soccer (I really enjoy this game, but the lack of a career mode is going to seriously impact it's longevity.  Once I finish my season, there's not much incentive to go back and play through it again.)
-  Hot Shots Golf (easily my favorite PSP title so far)

When I look at the upcoming releases, I only see 2 games that really pique my interest:  Madden 2006 and the Final Fantasy VII game.  I'm mainly an RPG fan, and the lack of any RPG's for this system (now or upcoming) is really starting to kill my interest in the PSP.   The only ones I know of, and correct me if I'm wrong, are Y's (which was an absolute pile of ass on the PS2) and Tales (which I didn't really care for on GCN).  

So are there any good RPG, SRPG, or maybe some unique titles coming down the pipe that are must-have-OMG-look-at-that, type games.   I really don't want to sell it, but I hate to see it simply collect dust while I wait for something good to come out.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 07:50:34 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I really don't want to sell it, but I hate to see it simply collect dust while I wait for something good to come out.

well, keep it in it's little slipcase, then smile ...

tho i'm not selling mine, i hear what you're saying - the absence of a traditional rpg or srpg title becomes more glaring every day, &, combined with most of what's out there (including my personal favorite bomb, dynasty warriors), the psp, like the ds, has gone pretty damn quiet pretty fast, game-wise. personally, i've just decided to be patient, play a little wipeout now'n'then, & get on with other stuff in the meantime...

as far as upcoming titles, for me, besides a couple 3rd-person games (death jr & advent shadow), there doesn't look to be much of anything ahead til the end of the year at least. i strongly recommend metal gear acid, btw - i'd never played a card game before, & had a great time with it...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 08:01:01 PM »

Considering how the DS and PSP just came out recently, you can't expect that many good games to be out.  The PS2 went nearly a year without any decent games.  Many people have sold their consoles when they saw nothing of interest in the future, only to have to re-buy the console when the next "must-have" title comes out.  

I'd keep it and just wait for some better games.  How much does a used PSP go for anyway?  The shelf life for the PSP is going to be at least 5 years and a current coming soon list is only going to cover a small fraction of that.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 09:25:22 PM »

So are there any good RPG, SRPG, or maybe some unique titles coming down the pipe that are must-have-OMG-look-at-that, type games.   I really don't want to sell it, but I hate to see it simply collect dust while I wait for something good to come out.

There is a turn based (yes, TURN) RPG that's due out from Agetec (makers of the Armored Core and RPG Maker series) in the next few months. It's called PopoloCrois, and if you can get past the super-deformed/anime look, it looks like it'll be a fun little game.

Unfortunately I didn't get any time to play the game at E3 (and it currently being in Japanese only made it really hard to do so), but it looks promising.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 11:02:15 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

There is a turn based (yes, TURN) RPG that's due out from Agetec (makers of the Armored Core and RPG Maker series) in the next few months. It's called PopoloCrois, and if you can get past the super-deformed/anime look, it looks like it'll be a fun little game.

Unfortunately I didn't get any time to play the game at E3 (and it currently being in Japanese only made it really hard to do so), but it looks promising.

thanks for the info (&, speaking of being in japanese, the sony japan website is here)...

released in japan the end of february, due here in (hopefully) september, it's a 'revised' re-release of the first 2 (ps1) games in the series. & it does look like it could be fun...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 12:59:48 PM »

And because I didn't want you to look at purely Japanese screenshots, I just uploaded 28 screenshots into our database.

How's that for service? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 02:16:00 PM »

Sweeeeeeet Thanks Destructor.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 06:38:54 PM »

NIS America is brining Generation of Chaos, described as "Monopoly meets Final Fantasy Tactics" (whatever that means slywink) to the US next spring.  They were working on a Disgaea-type game called Makai Wars, but it's been put on hold.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 06:44:44 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
NIS America is brining Generation of Chaos, described as "Monopoly meets Final Fantasy Tactics" (whatever that means slywink) to the US next spring.

And here I thought that Odama's "Military simulation meets pinball game" was confusing enough. biggrin

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 07:53:25 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
They were working on a Disgaea-type game called Makai Wars, but it's been put on hold.

wauuugh!!!!...

exactly what i didn't want to hear (damn!)...

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 10:38:05 PM »

You could always sell it now and get most of what it's worth before the price drops and lose out even more money, then get one later on if you see any games you might want.
The PSP is bound to drop in price sooner or later (as have all consoles) not to mention the you got one from the first batch (the guinea pig batch) where they always learn from it and make improvements with each new batch. (Xbox is a good example as the first ones out the door had the Thompson DVD problem)

If you really aren't putting the PSP to use and aren't sure about the future, IMO, sell it now and get some money for it now before it's too late and you see a $50 price drop and lose that money because you weren't sure if you wanted it or not.
I've done the same thing with the Xbox, I got one when it was around the $200 mark, and because of the (what seemed like) lack of backwards compatiblity for the xbox 3, I wanted to get a ps2 because sony confirmed the ps3 would be backwards compatible. (It helped justify paying $50+ for a game knowing it would still be good next generation.) But I wasn't 100% sure about it and next thing I knew the xbox dropped to $149.99 and I didn't sell it until then because there were a couple future xbox games I might have wanted, if only I had sold it about 3 weeks earlier..  :wink:

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
shadow9d9
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 03:23:23 PM »

It is funny.. the same person that would sell a psp this early on is the same kind of person impatient enough to buy it... Every console/handheld takes a looong time to get the good games out... The system has a good 4+ years left to it.. what do you have to lose by waiting?
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 08:05:53 PM »

what do you have to lose by waiting?

The current trade in value for the PSP.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 08:12:05 PM »

My suggestion: Keep your PSP and get a DS to go with it. I think that come next year there are going to be some amazing titles for the PSP and you'll be kicking yourself. However the DS library right now is great so it kind of make sense to go with a DS.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 12:47:04 PM »

Quote from: "shadow9d9"
It is funny.. the same person that would sell a psp this early on is the same kind of person impatient enough to buy it... Every console/handheld takes a looong time to get the good games out... The system has a good 4+ years left to it.. what do you have to lose by waiting?

Well, since I recently had to take a nearly 35% pay cut with my new job (happened after I bought the PSP, btw), the market value I could get for the PSP far outweighs the possibility that a game might come out that interests me.  Besides, I agree with Corruptrellic.  I can probably get nearly what I paid for it if I sell it now, then maybe buy one down the road after there is a more established library and a price drop.

I had also considered getting a DS, but there is even less that interests me about the that system.  The touch screen seems gimmicky, there are still no RPG titles, and the couple games that I've played weren't very impressive.  I think I'll just hold off on handhelds for now.

It's up for sale in the trading forum right now, btw.

/shameless plug

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: