http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:02:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I shall partake in the Mass Effect Experience (TM) - who is with me?  (Read 1191 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:12:11 AM »

There's something weird going on with me lately. When Uncharted 3 came out, I bought Uncharted 2 again and played that instead. And now that Mass Effect 3 has been released, I feel the need to play through Mass Effect 2 again. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?  crybaby Anyways, this led me to consider playing through the first game again, and that subsequently led me to wanting to read the books. The universe is so drenched in story and lore that it would be great to go back before heading into the finale.

Ultimately I decided to really experience Mass Effect. And by that I mean, read all the books and comics as well - in chronological order.

Eurogamer has a great article that collects everything (games, DLC, books, comics) and tells you what point in the timeline everything goes. The Revelation novel is a prequel to Mass Effect, but there's also the Evolution comic which explains the general state of affairs between the Alien races so I'm going to read that online while I'm waiting for the book to arrive.   

If anyone feels like joining me on this venture, post your progress here. Otherwise, ya'll will just hear from me  icon_cool

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:46:28 AM »

The prequel book is a kinda mediocre sci-fi novel on its on legs, but  the ties to the greater Mass Effect story and universe make it a lot of fun. Even now in ME3 there are characters and events that mean more to me because of the backstory in the novel.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:47:34 AM »

Right, I don't expect them to do much on their own but I expect the sum of all the parts will be great. This is what I did for the Myst series way back when and it made playing the Myst games much more fun.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:11:28 AM »

I thought that the Karpyshyn books got progressively better. I haven't read the 4th one - it's written by a different guy, is supposed to be awful, and had so many lore errors that Bioware had to promise to come out with a fixed version of the book at some point.  I love that we get to meet some of the characters from the books in ME3. I'm assuming that there are references to the comics as well, as there are a couple of story references I haven't been familiar with. I've only read the ME2 prequel comics. I might buy them off the iphone app. There's a new series just starting up as well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:06:34 AM »

I am actually re-reading Revelation now,i enjoyed it first time round,its good when replaying ME1 last week and now playing ME3 seeing the connections and it all fitting in like the comic has done for something i have just come across in ME3
Spoiler for Hiden:
Aria losing Omega to Cerberus

As much as i love the Mass Effect Universe,in some ways its up there and even better than the Star Wars Universe(please no arguments..if you like SW that's fine,i love it too),but i just hope they don't go overboard with it all,i have not even read the second,third and fourth books yet and it looks like the Comic Books are quite interesting and hold a lot of background info(there as i said above,and there are samples of them at the back of the ME2 and ME3 Prima Guides),and now you say there is a new series starting up.....I can't keep up!!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 04:26:41 AM »

I just started on my first ME1 playthrough ever.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 05:59:41 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on March 11, 2012, 04:26:41 AM

Take it slow and savor it.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on March 11, 2012, 05:59:41 AM

Quote from: Zarkon on March 11, 2012, 04:26:41 AM

Take it slow and savor it.

And know that ME2 is exponentially better than ME1.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »

I'm actually about three missions from the end of ME1.

Part of the reason it's taken me so long is that it just didn't grab me.  I've heard ME2 kicks it up a bazillion notches, so I'm looking forward to it.  But now the problem is that I keep waiting for a GOTY edition or something that collects all of the DLC, but this is like the only game of this sort ever to not go that route.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »

I'm actually in the middle of my first ME2 playthrough right now and so far I'm liking ME1 more. Not a fan of 2 combat nor how it does a couple other things yet.

I'm sure the story is awesome and all but so far I'm in the ME1 better crowd.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »

yeah i have said it before Mass Effect 1 and 2 are two sides of the same coin,ME1 does some things better while ME2 does other things better,both games are exceptional though

and for what its worth Saren is still the best bad guy

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 05:01:24 PM »

ME2 is so unpolished it's not funny. Embarrassingly bad bugs and glitches. Spelling errors, missing words, someone's head was backwards and glitching during a cut-scene were just the highlights so far.

The lady that wanted a 'skip combat' option? I'm kinda agreeing with her here.  icon_neutral

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 09:35:11 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on March 11, 2012, 05:01:24 PM

ME2 is so unpolished it's not funny. Embarrassingly bad bugs and glitches. Spelling errors, missing words, someone's head was backwards and glitching during a cut-scene were just the highlights so far.

The lady that wanted a 'skip combat' option? I'm kinda agreeing with her here.  icon_neutral

What platform? Ps3 version really isn't like that...at all..
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on March 11, 2012, 09:35:11 PM

The lady that wanted a 'skip combat' option? I'm kinda agreeing with her here.  icon_neutral

What platform? Ps3 version really isn't like that...at all..
360. Just earlier I was in the labs and backed up against a wall retreating in combat, got stuck, and rose up to the ceiling. Had to reload.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. It's been fun so far and I will definitely finish it but it could have used a little more time in the oven to clean it up.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:02:44 PM by Kagath » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:38 PM »

I highly recommend that you check out the Cerebus News Networks archives (link).  Not only are they really well done and really flesh out the universe but several of the people and events discussed on there are referenced in ME3. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »

I'm also one of those people that decided to put off the Mass Effect games until they were all released, so that I could play them back-to-back. I just completed ME1 on the 360, and parts of it were laughably bad. Most of the side missions were horrible cookie cutter activities where you landed on a planet, had to pilot your rover across a bland, empty environment, and infiltrate the exact same looking base or outpost repeatedly. Every damned base interior looked identical, except for a few containers and boxes being put in a different location.

The game universe is interesting, the main storyline was very entertaining, and for an RPG it was some slick graphics. Unfortunately, most side activities and the inventory system seemed phoned in by a group of summer interns. I'm hoping ME2 kicks it up a notch.

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 11, 2012, 11:28:38 PM

I highly recommend that you check out the Cerebus News Networks archives (link).  Not only are they really well done and really flesh out the universe but several of the people and events discussed on there are referenced in ME3. 

Do these also appear in-game?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:34:33 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 11:38:30 PM »

Is there a reason to play 'New Game Plus' in ME1, btw?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on March 11, 2012, 11:38:30 PM

IIRC the first playthrough you could only hit level 50, but any playthrough after would get you to 60.  about the only thing that gets you though is a bonus to your level when importing a character to ME2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 12:06:29 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on March 11, 2012, 11:33:02 PM

The game universe is interesting, the main storyline was very entertaining, and for an RPG it was some slick graphics. Unfortunately, most side activities and the inventory system seemed phoned in by a group of summer interns. I'm hoping ME2 kicks it up a notch.

Side missions are much better in ME2.  All take place in unique environments and no cookie-cutter dungeons.  There is only one vehicle in the game, the Hammerhead.  It controls much better than the Mako but only has a few missions, all of them DLC (one free, one paid).  But then there is the mineral scanning minigame which is incredibly monotonous. 

ME2 practically gets rid of inventory altogether (some people felt this swung the pendulum too far in the opposite direction).

Bioware was very serious about addressing pretty much all of the criticisms from ME1 however some of their solutions moved the game a bit toward Action instead of RPG for some.  Consequently there is still a pretty dedicated portion of the fanbase that thinks ME1 was the better game.  

Quote from: Dante Rising on March 11, 2012, 11:33:02 PM

Do these also appear in-game?

They did but not anymore.  When you get to the title screen in ME2 there is a little laptop screen that shows Cerebus News items.  Every day from the day of ME2's release until exactly one year later a unique news item was posted.  They retired it after a year with the exception for a couple of weeks before the final ME2 DLC, the Arrival, and before ME3 itself.  The link I posted is just an archive of all of the news stories that were posted.  ME3 has a similar interface on it's title screen but I don't know if they are planning to provide the same level of content.

BTW, I would highly recommend just about all of the ME2 mission DLC.  They feature some of the best missions in the series.  ME2, with all of the DLC integrated, is IMO a much stronger game than vanilla ME2 was at release.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 02:28:24 AM »

It was a toss up, but I think tonight it's all me2. Kingdoms of amalur doesn't have a sequel yet. It can wait.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:55 AM »

Funny, I played through ME2 twice (around 30 hours each time) and don't recall seeing a single bug.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 03:48:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 12, 2012, 12:04:48 AM

Quote from: Zarkon on March 11, 2012, 11:38:30 PM

IIRC the first playthrough you could only hit level 50, but any playthrough after would get you to 60.  about the only thing that gets you though is a bonus to your level when importing a character to ME2.

Including both DLC packs, I made it to Level 56 on a single playthrough.  The trick is to never, ever kill anything from inside the Mako.  You can pop their shields and whittle down their health, but delivering the killing blow on foot gets you a pile more experience than normal.

I'm currently New Game Plus-ing that Shepard and, after Eden Prime, all the Citadel missions, Feros, and Therum, I'm basically taking it on faith that there's enough experience points in the game to reach Level 60.  The span from one to the next is immense!

As far as Zarkon's question about *why* you'd want to New Game Plus it, high level characters let you breeze through the game on Normal difficulty if you want to experience the alternate story choices.  Finishing all the Collection Quests also gives you a (small) bonus when importing into ME2.

-Autistic Angel
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2012, 02:46:28 AM

The prequel book is a kinda mediocre sci-fi novel on its on legs, but  the ties to the greater Mass Effect story and universe make it a lot of fun. Even now in ME3 there are characters and events that mean more to me because of the backstory in the novel.

I would read the books, but they are still really expensive on the Kindle Store, and at this point my reading is limited to Kindle books. If they were $2.99 I would jump in, but $7.99 for each one is too much.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »

I will be playing from the first game. Starting soon. Will post in this thread when I do.  thumbsup
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 11, 2012, 03:04:20 PM

Part of the reason it's taken me so long is that it just didn't grab me.  I've heard ME2 kicks it up a bazillion notches, so I'm looking forward to it.  But now the problem is that I keep waiting for a GOTY edition or something that collects all of the DLC, but this is like the only game of this sort ever to not go that route.

Honestly, if you didn't like the first, I have a hard time seeing you liking the second. I consider ME1 one of my personal faves of any genre, ever, despite all the flaws (texture issues, inventory, dull side missions, etc.). What I have played of 2 is fun, but it isn't a major departure from the first in terms of gameplay.

And the hammerhead? Sucks. Give me back my damned Mako. I loved that thing.

I've read the first of the books. It was fun seeing a different side of Anderson.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 12, 2012, 04:35:21 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 11, 2012, 03:04:20 PM

Honestly, if you didn't like the first, I have a hard time seeing you liking the second. I consider ME1 one of my personal faves of any genre, ever, despite all the flaws (texture issues, inventory, dull side missions, etc.). What I have played of 2 is fun, but it isn't a major departure from the first in terms of gameplay.

And the hammerhead? Sucks. Give me back my damned Mako. I loved that thing.

I've read the first of the books. It was fun seeing a different side of Anderson.

The useless jump jets kill the Mako for me. 

What doesn't grab me about ME1 is mostly the dull side missions and inventory.  Also, the pacing is languid, which I understand is improved in ME2.  However, I also find the world to be a little lifeless and plastic, so that may carry over.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 05:49:21 PM »

Yeah, the Mako pisses me off in general 'cause of that.

And yes, a lot of the side missions are the sameo ld crap.  I'm still having fun though. smile
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »

I liked the pacing in 2 better than 1.  The narrative is very different though. In 2 there's an intitial overarching story setup, and then it's a bunch of independent character stories, culminating in a wild ride of a finale.  I also liked the streamlining of the inventory in 2, although I think they went a little too far (which is corrected in ME3).  I liked the combat in 2 better than 1, it just felt more exciting to me.  I enjoyed the story in both games, with the nod going to ME2 for the crazy, summer movie blockbuster ending. 

If you have the time and interest in the whole experience, I think it would be fun to play 1-3.  I can vouch for the fact that ME3 is a better experience with an imported character save that you've developed starting from ME1.       

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 12, 2012, 03:44:21 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2012, 02:46:28 AM

The prequel book is a kinda mediocre sci-fi novel on its on legs, but  the ties to the greater Mass Effect story and universe make it a lot of fun. Even now in ME3 there are characters and events that mean more to me because of the backstory in the novel.

I would read the books, but they are still really expensive on the Kindle Store, and at this point my reading is limited to Kindle books. If they were $2.99 I would jump in, but $7.99 for each one is too much.

Whenever it isn't occupied with worshiping at the feet of Kahlee Sanders, the Mass Effect rollup of Stephen Hawking, Jason Bourne, and Charlize Theron, most of Mass Effect: Revelation is about how incredibly dangerous artificial intelligence is.  It's illegal to even research AI development.  The whole plot revolves around it.  Here, take a look:

Quote from: Mass Effect Revelation, Page 115
Attempting to develop artificial intelligence was one of the few things specifically banned in the Citadel Conventions.  Developing purely synthetic life, whether cloned or manufactured, was considered a crime against the entire galaxy.

Experts from nearly every species predicted that true artificial intelligence -- such as a synthetic neural network with the ability to absorb and critically analyze knowledge -- would grow exponentially the instant it learned to learn.  It would teach itself; quickly surpassing the capabilities of its organic creators and growing beyond their control.  Every single species in the galaxy relied on computers that were linked into the vast data network of the extranet for transport, trade, defense, and basic survival.  If a rogue AI program was somehow able to access and influence those data networks, the result would be catastrophic.

Conventional theory held that the doomsday scenario wasn't merely possible, it was unavoidable.  According to the Council, the emergence of an artificial intelligence was the single greatest threat to organic life in the galaxy.

Wow!  Sounds pretty dire!

Commander Shepard confronts a rogue AI in the first Mass Effect game.  You might not remember because its a minor quest most people will complete before even leaving the Citadel.  A two-bit gambling cheat made one to help skim credits off a hacked slot machine, and its dastardly plan was to take its earnings, buy a shuttle, and retire to Geth space.  Look out, galaxy!

I read the prequel books for Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, and Dragon Age: Awakening prior to playing each game, and in every case the content diminished my experience with their respective games.  You might have a better time reading them after the fact, but I don't recommend them.

-Autistic Angel
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »

Don't even bother with the side missions in ME1, then, Bullwinkle. Go straight for the story planets. I got to a point where I did that and didn't regret it in the slightest. For. Me, the main story was so compelling I was dying to see what was next, rather than handle a bunch of silly errands.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 12, 2012, 07:16:26 PM

Don't even bother with the side missions in ME1, then, Bullwinkle. Go straight for the story planets. I got to a point where I did that and didn't regret it in the slightest. For. Me, the main story was so compelling I was dying to see what was next, rather than handle a bunch of silly errands.

While my brain logically knows this to be true, it goes against my core gameplay being!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 12, 2012, 05:12:20 PM

How are you using the Mako Bull?,if i fall of a high mountain/ledge then the Mako starts to get damaged(the wheel starts to flash)and eventually need a medi gel for it,using the jets at the right time when falling will prevent that

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 12:10:41 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 12, 2012, 10:50:08 PM

How are you using the Mako Bull?,if i fall of a high mountain/ledge then the Mako starts to get damaged(the wheel starts to flash)and eventually need a medi gel for it,using the jets at the right time when falling will prevent that

That's very strategic, but the only time I think to use it is trying to climb up a goddamned mountain.  This action, of course, thrusts me off the face of said mountain, causing me to fall off a high moutain/ledge.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 06:27:21 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 13, 2012, 12:10:41 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 12, 2012, 10:50:08 PM

That's very strategic, but the only time I think to use it is trying to climb up a goddamned mountain.  This action, of course, thrusts me off the face of said mountain, causing me to fall off a high moutain/ledge.

Ha,i used to do that until i saw that if there is a way up a mountain then there should be a thin layer of moss,but it doesn't stop the whole thing being annoying

There are a few planet quests that carry on over to at least Mass Effect 2(Helena Blake for one...not that she has that big a part in 2)

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 09:29:13 AM »

So far Mass Effect 2 has trumped the first game in just about every single way. Better environments, better dialogue, improved graphics, etc. I heard alot of negative criticism regarding the way ME2 streamlined the entire inventory system, but so far I haven't been turned off by the change and I consider myself to be a fairly hardcore RPG fan.

I'm currently playing on the veteran difficulty, but that still seems slightly too easy. I may need to move up to hardcore, even though the game recommends that level for your 2nd run.

So far,so good!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 01:51:35 PM »

I have said it before but the thing i hated most about ME2 was the 'end of level' stat screen,i hated that with a passion

I know this will piss people off,(because i have heard no one likes the idea),but when i am playing these games,i do still keep thinking how good an MMO would be,going to different planets and seeing players everywhere(I imagine this is what The Old Republic is like,having not played it),Join the Alliance,or even maybe Cerberus or one of the Merc Gangs,choosing what kind of race you want to be etc...of course the Citadel would be 'The Hub' where everyone hangs out as usual in MMOs(every MMO i have played has them),maybe get your own ship,or do various jobs to save for cab fair to different planets

that doesn't mean i still don't want a normal Mass Effect game,because I do

I still have The Art of Mass Effect Hardback book,a new one has just come out entitled The Art of The Mass Effect Universe,again Hardback,which apparently covers all 3 games,but it is only 184 pages long(my mass effect book is 176 pages long)...so i may hold on,see if they bring a bigger and better book out,as they may of left out a lot of good stuff in this new book so not to spoil ME3

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 13, 2012, 01:51:35 PM

I still have The Art of Mass Effect Hardback book,a new one has just come out entitled The Art of The Mass Effect Universe,again Hardback,which apparently covers all 3 games,but it is only 184 pages long(my mass effect book is 176 pages long)...so i may hold on,see if they bring a bigger and better book out,as they may of left out a lot of good stuff in this new book so not to spoil ME3

The ME3 section in the new book is just as big as the ME1 and ME2 sections so I doubt they deliberately left much out for fear of spoiling. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 13, 2012, 02:08:45 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 13, 2012, 01:51:35 PM

The ME3 section in the new book is just as big as the ME1 and ME2 sections so I doubt they deliberately left much out for fear of spoiling. 

Yeah,I think I'd rather have 'The Art of Mass Effect 2' and 'The Art of Mass Effect 3',like i said my Art of Mass Effect is nearly as big as the all 3 in 1 book,of course there was no Art of Mass Effect 2 unfortunately icon_frown

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »

Man.  Who do I want to hook Shepard up with?  Decisions, decisions.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »

Never played any ME, but for $10 at the employee store for ME1, I'm thinking about it. But I'm afraid it'll go the way of Fallout 3: started with a bang, then fizzled out and never finished.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: