http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 09:50:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I really need to quit rebuying games  (Read 1808 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2005, 10:40:20 PM »

Gamestop started up their "Buy 2 get 1 Free" deal again today.   I had about $70 store credit from some other trade-ins, so I grabbed Phantom Dust and PoP:  WW.  Got looking around for a couple others I might want to try, but nothing really grabbed me.  Then it happened again.

There was a used copy of Fable.  I thought "Y'know, I had a good time with this one first time around basically playing a good guy.  I'd like to try it again as an evil bastard."  So I bought Fable.  Again.

Looking around for my freebie game, I picked up Zelda:  WW.  I really burned out on the first one with the whole sailboat exploration thing, but I thought, "Y'know, I may enjoy this game a little more if I just play it for myself and not try to stick so close to the strategy guides.  Maybe I'll try it again."  So I bought Zelda:  WW.  Again.

So I've now spent full price and used price for both of these games, which probably makes me a colossal idiot.  However, there have been a couple games that didn't grab me on the first try (Final Fantasy Tactics, Majesty, FF8, etc.) that I didn't like the first time, but really enjoyed when I tried them again.  Guess I keep hoping that will happen again.

Am I the only one that does this?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 11:00:16 PM »

I've bought Knights of the Old Republic twice.  Gave a copy away to my brother-in-law and had hankering to replay it.  Since he lives far away I just spent the $20.

I've bought Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Xenogears each twice.  I never did see what others saw but I thought I should try again so I spent about $250 on those 3 games.

Max Payne 1 I bought twice.  I never liked it at first.  Not sure why but when I rebought it I loved it.

Fallout 2 twice.  Each time I kept thinking "I liked this better in Fallout 1".

Warcraft III twice.

GTA III twice.  I tried the Playstation 2 version but hated the control scheme.  I bought the PC version and rolled over it like a Mack truck.  Mouse/keyboard makes my day.

Rogue Spear twice.

Planescape Torment twice.

Age of Mythology twice.

The first Baldur's Gate I bought three times!!!

So, yeah, you're not the only one!   biggrin
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 11:15:48 PM »

One of my customers has bought and then traded in Nascar '03 for the Xbox no less than three times.  The fourth time he bought it, he told me "If I ever try to trade this in again, stop me."

Me, I usually hold onto games once I have them if I think I might want to play them again.  This results in me having an incredibly large library of stuff I may get back to someday.  Essentially, I'm banking on the world ending and just being left with myself, my games, my TV, and a functioning nuclear power plant.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 11:20:09 PM »

What on earth possesses you to trade in games?  That's your problem: you must have a character flaw which leads you to trade in games.  You need to get an implant of the Packrat Gene.

The only time I ever trade in games is when I hate them so much that I can't even stand to look at them:

Wing Commander Prophecy (GBA)
Splinter Cell (Xbox)
ummm.... that's it.  Those are the only games I've traded in during the last 10 years.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 11:48:06 PM »

Lucky gazillionaire  :?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:56:05 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Me, I usually hold onto games once I have them if I think I might want to play them again.  This results in me having an incredibly large library of stuff I may get back to someday.  Essentially, I'm banking on the world ending and just being left with myself, my games, my TV, and a functioning nuclear power plant.

Man you sound just like me.... Except I have a whole slew of games I haven't even OPENED yet!  The oldest I can think of being Lunar for PSone

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 12:24:50 AM »

Quote from: "Qbe"
The only time I ever trade in games is when I hate them so much that I can't even stand to look at them...

i got that category, plus one other: games i kinda enjoyed (& finished), but knew i'd never, ever wanna replay (primal, xenosaga, shadow hearts 2)...

just not into accumulating 'stuff', i guess. i only keep either games i really like or ones i can't quite make my mind up about (most of which, not so surprisingly, eventually fall into the hate category smile )...

must admit to recently re-buying the first 2 dmcs after playing dmc3, but, other than that, my way of doing it's worked pretty well for me so far (now, as far as digging up oldies on ebay that i've never played, like persona 2 & rhapsody? - that's where i can end up blowing some real money. not that it isn't usually worth it)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 12:43:55 AM »

I am squarely in the catagory of if you bought it once you should buy it twice!

I don't know.  I get angry and put off by games and then trade them.  Then a few months later I get a hankering to play them again.

In fact I think I have actually bought most of the games I have finished more than once.

Oh well.  I guess that is why it is a hobby.  It isn't about making the best choices but about enjoyment.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 01:25:59 AM »

Quote from: "Jack Burton"
Quote from: "Chaz"

Man you sound just like me.... Except I have a whole slew of games I haven't even OPENED yet!  The oldest I can think of being Lunar for PSone

Oh, believe me, I've got a ton of those.  They're all open because I like to make sure the game's actually in there and look at the manual, but they're never actually played.  I bought Xenosaga within the first two weeks it came out.  To this day, the game has never left the case.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 01:41:51 AM »

I do it all the goddamn time. Most recently was ICO I think, but there have been too many games to count. I also include trading to get games back that you have already had and sold/traded in this category.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 01:44:53 AM »

Quote from: "Jack Burton"

Me too, but at least I've OPENED them biggrin  Seriously, at least if somebody asks I feel confident I can recall a few facts from reviews I read so that I can act like I played it.  I am really contemplating the purchase of Fatal Frame 1 & 2 for Xbox.  I am fairly certain I will never play them, but I have only ever seen the first once and I am a completist when it comes to the series.  Ask me about my special "Koei-only" CD wallet. Tongue

I've never traded anything in.  The local EB manager even asked me why since he sees me buying so much crap.

If I've played 1/4 of my games then I am surprised.  I actually spent last weekend with a stack of 30 Live-enabled games downloading updates and downloadable content for games I never player and don't know if I ever will.

While I'd love to be a part of Chaz's "end of the world" scenario, I'd probably spend all my time reading books and giving my all towards the repopulation of Earth slywink

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 03:09:30 AM »

The beauty of the end of the world scenario is that it's just me, the games, the DVDs, and the books.  Once the games are done, I can move on to another medium.

And there's also no females, at least not any near me.  While I'm sure I would pine for female companionship, it would inevitably lead to less time to catch up on entertainment, since I would be forced to watch chick flicks and talk about our feelings about the world ending, and other crap like that.  I like to think that in the next crater over is a female, and I'll go visit as soon as I'm done catching up.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 01:46:33 AM »

I bought KOTOR twice and still don`t have a copy. I just didn`t like it, it tried and tried...
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 04:05:04 AM »

I've owned NHL Hitz 2002 four different times on 2 differents systems frown

I would keep finding it for great prices (< $10) then would let it sit and collect dust before trading it in (and so on and so on).  Funny thing is, I'm not sure I've even put in more than an hour of total playtime in the game.

At least one of the times I had actually bought a copy of NFL Blitz; it just happened to have a copy of Hitz in the sleeve when I got home.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 02:14:30 PM »

Diablo 2 and Mafia (sorry no console games) are the only games I have bought twice... I bought another copy of D2 after I quit playing everquest and found myself with a lot of free game time and Mafia I always regretted selling, it's one of those games I will own a copy of "For Eternity" (a very short list).

-Coop

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 06:51:34 PM »

I'm a packrat: I almost never sell, trade, or give away my old games.  Hell, I've still got a lot of crap for the 2600 and TI 99/4A somewhere.  So there are only a handful of reasons why I might buy the same game twice:
 - I've lost or damaged my original and need a replacement.
 - An updated / revised / "special" edition of a game I already have comes out with extra content I want.  E.g., I bought the original NWN, then I bought the Collector's Edition for half-price (basically to get all the nifty tchochkes it came with), then I bought NWN Platinum when it came out, because it seemed more cost-effective than picking up the expansions separately and I wanted it all on one DVD.
 - I buy a cheap second copy of a game I like to loan to friends, to "share the love," as it were - or I buy a cheap second copy to replace a game I've loaned out already, rather than wait for its return.
 - I've managed to forget I already own a game - something I bought and never played - and buy it a second time.  Only happened a couple of times - that I can recall *cough* - but it has happened.
 - I buy extra copies for LAN party purposes.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 07:02:47 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I do it all the goddamn time. Most recently was ICO I think, but there have been too many games to count. I also include trading to get games back that you have already had and sold/traded in this category.

Agreed. I've traded away unfinished games then will go to clean out my saves a few months later, realize I wanted to see the ending on the game I traded, then I'll trade for it again. I'm actually on a "new game" freeze right now (including trades) because I genuinely want to finish the games I have right now. Heresay, I know, but I realized I'm physically out of room for my DVDs thanks to my games taking up the bottom shelf, so I need to burn though a few and trade them in for $$$. Or trade them for more DVDs. biggrin

/cycle continues

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2005, 04:47:39 PM »

I just keep my games.  Then I can play them whenever the fuck I want.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2005, 05:29:33 PM »

If I know it is a game with no replayability, or that for no reason at all I just know that I won't play again, I'll sell it in a heartbeat.  So far never bought a game after dumping it (though Kotor I would love to do again; I beat it light and dark side, so why?)

I probably still own only about 1/3 of the total number of Xbox/PS2 games I've ever bought.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: