http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:26:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I officially love the PSP  (Read 3622 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:28:06 AM »

Now, before I begin on explaining why I've become a PSP lover, I have to bash my DS Lite a little bit. See, I've owned a DS Lite since it was launched. Since it's release, I've played a multitude of games on the platform only to be continually disappointed. I'm not saying there aren't good games on the system because obviously there are, I just don't think they are the right type of games for me and the games that appeal to me are far and few in between. I own NSMB, Brain Age, Animal Crossing, PotC, Metroid, and Pheonix Wright (might be forgetting a few since I rarely play them). Most of these games have been highly praised by this community and the gaming community in general, but with the exception of Mario, I've grown bored of these games within hours of starting them. I'm also not a fan of the DS hardware which, in my opinion, is decidedly lackluster. The dual/touch-screen setup is rarely utilized in any way that is evolutionary to the standard controller layout. Metroid, which I do agree utilizes the DS setup to a great extent, still fails sell me on the controls. I still find aiming to be slippery, and my hand cramps up pretty quickly. Not to mention the DS hardware can't do 3D worth a damn, and I'm sorry but when there is a competing portable that can do PS2-level graphics, I have a hard time feeling satisfied with the SNES-level quality of the DS. Now, I don't entirely hate the DS, I still find it to be a great platform for RPG's and platformers, but I really feel like the system is aimed at the younger audience and those who pride themselves in playing obscure Japanese titles. I don't fall under that demographic. 

So, this brings me to the story of how I fell in love with the Sony PSP. My friends and I went out of town this weekend, requiring a 4 hour drive to and from our destination. I was happy to find out one of my friends had brought along his PSP, since I never quite gave the portable the time of day to get to know it, I figured this would be a good time to dive in and see all that it has to offer. Basically, I ended up being glued to the screen for the duration of my time in the car. I played a few games, including NFS: Most Wanted and GTA: Liberty City Stories. I was blown away at the quality of the graphics in these games, as far as I could tell the games looked nearly just as good as their PS2 counterparts, not to mention offered just as much content and extras. The PSP is a freaking portable console, it really is. Then I watched a few movies, I watched The Island and Click, again I was blown away. The PSP's screen is like a mini HDTV! The quality of the movies was astounding, plus I was wearing a nice set of headphones so it seriously felt like I was watching a movie on my home theater setup. Between the games, movies, listening to music, and messing around with the PSP's internet capabilities, I couldn't believe the system was being sold for not even $100 more than the DS. The PSP has restored my faith in portable gaming when I was beginning to think I simply didn't enjoy portables. The PSP definately has its share of flaws, the load times in the games were much longer than an average DS game, and the analog stick isn't perfect, but for the most part I enjoyed everything about it. With all the good games slated to come out for the PSP and the PSP's interactive potential with the PS3, I think I'm going to be doing a lot of my gaming on this little wonder =)

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 03:36:22 AM »

thumbsup

Play Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.  It's unreal how great it looks and plays.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:48:53 AM »

MGS portable ops sold me on the PSP.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:06:08 AM »

I recently found my DS being used less and less, and last month I bought a PSP.   So far, I'm very happy with - so much so I sold my DS and all the games.  I liked the DS, for a long time - but the games were just too... I don't know - kiddie-ish.  I never like the touch screen feature all that much, and the dual screen was nice, on some games, but most of the time it added nothing.  I'm going to miss the great DS Castlevanias- those were A+ - but I'm loving the PSP - MGS portable ops just rocks.  Pirates!, Valkyrie profile, Ratchet and Clank, Daxter, and Kingdom of Paradise - all great games, and there's more I want to pick up, with some great titles coming down the pipe.  I've joined the dark side!

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:18:32 AM »

I was the opposite, I sold my PSP because I liked my DS so much better. I am too old to worry about if a game is too kiddy or not, if its fun, I will play it.

But, some of the games coming out for the PSP this year may get me to buy another one if those games get solid reviews.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 05:20:15 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 03, 2007, 03:36:22 AM

thumbsup

Play Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.  It's unreal how great it looks and plays.

i am still waiting for that ...May release here

i have been playing the warriors on PSP,which i am loving,although its best to play in the dark as in a lighted room you cant see shit...always set at night you see

EDIT:oh,and i have been putting episodes of Scrubs on it and watching them during my dinner at work....so it gets a double A+ for that
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:30:52 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 05:26:17 AM »

Any news on the rumored (price drop)/(new version)?

I remember before the PSP came out, someone designed a "stand" which would let you display the PSP onto your TV and plug in a PS2 controller.  Had that been released, I would have gotten a PSP, and praised it as TEH BEST CONSOLE EVAR.  Oh well.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 05:34:51 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 03, 2007, 05:26:17 AM

funny you should say that

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/psp-core-drops-to-169-tomorrow-249036.php

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:47:25 AM »

Quote from: Lee on April 03, 2007, 05:18:32 AM

I was the opposite, I sold my PSP because I liked my DS so much better. I am too old to worry about if a game is too kiddy or not, if its fun, I will play it.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying I don't enjoy the DS because the games are too kiddy. I'm mostly just not a fan of the hardware.

Sean Lama
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 05:49:11 AM »

I remember before the PSP came out, someone designed a "stand" which would let you display the PSP onto your TV and plug in a PS2 controller.  Had that been released, I would have gotten a PSP, and praised it as TEH BEST CONSOLE EVAR.  Oh well.

is this not what your talking about? http://www.pspontv.com/

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 01:15:17 PM »

I am really close to getting one, but the talk of a revision is holding me back.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 01:51:49 PM »

All I can say is:  icon_biggrin

It is a viable alternative/compliment to the DS now, isn't it!?

Welcome to the party!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 02:23:52 PM »

Yep - I am also close to finally picking this up.  Nancy sold me on it earlier, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Question though?  What is this "upgrade/revision" thing and is it significant enough to wait, since I'm not in a rush?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on April 03, 2007, 02:23:52 PM

Question though?  What is this "upgrade/revision" thing and is it significant enough to wait, since I'm not in a rush?

Just speculation/rumor for now. 

Two possible scenarios:

1) Revision like the DS Lite.  Same underlying hardware/capabilities but with new, smaller form factor and maybe some other usability improvements.  May contain a large amount of onboard memory for storage.

2) PSP 2.  Likely removal of UMD functionality and switch to flash based media for games.  Second analog stick, other various improvements. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 02:32:02 PM »

OK.  Thanks Kevin.

Any gut feelings if the rumors are true by chance?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on April 03, 2007, 02:32:02 PM

OK.  Thanks Kevin.

My gut feeling is that *something* new is definitely coming.  People can point out how good the overall sales of the PSP are (ie install base almost as big as Xbox and Gamecube in half the time) but most of that ground was gained after initial release. Hardware sales have been mediocre and software sales awful for the last year.  I think Sony has to do something to reinvigorate the platform and while the price drop will help, a new hardware revision would be better (see DS Lite).
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 02:52:18 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 03, 2007, 02:50:22 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on April 03, 2007, 02:32:02 PM

OK.  Thanks Kevin.

My gut feeling is that *something* new is definitely coming.  People can point out how good the overall sales of the PSP are (ie install base almost as big as Xbox and Gamecube in half the time) but most of that ground was gained after initial release. Hardware sales have been mediocre and software sales awful for the last year.  I think Sony has to do something to reinvigorate the platform and while the price drop will help, a new hardware revision would be better (see DS Lite).

Is there any truth in your opinion to the rumors that they could spring this on us this summer pretty much unannounced around the time of the old E3? I know that rumor was floating around for a while.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 03:56:27 PM »

I think it will definitely be little to know announcement- usually there is only about a month's notice for these things (see PS2 Simline, 360 Elite).  Although if they may decide to do Japan first and the rest of the world later (like the DS Lite) which would give us some more lead time.

This price cut could be an effort to clear out the channel.  Sony has drastically overshipped the PSP in the last year so their shipments are already incredibly low.   
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 03, 2007, 03:56:27 PM

I think it will definitely be little to know announcement- usually there is only about a month's notice for these things (see PS2 Simline, 360 Elite).  Although if they may decide to do Japan first and the rest of the world later (like the DS Lite) which would give us some more lead time.

This price cut could be an effort to clear out the channel.  Sony has drastically overshipped the PSP in the last year so their shipments are already incredibly low.   

Well, if its actually going to happen I must wait then (unless I find out the firmware stuff is fixed and I can't play the old games I legitimately own on it), how cruel.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »

I have a PSP and I like it a lot.  I would love to see some more RPGs (NOT Japanese) for the system.  That said, I loved the (fixed version of) NCAA Football '07, Lumines is great and Burnout is a ton of fun.  SSX is fun, too, and usually very cheap.  Katamari, Dungeon Siege, the list goes on ...  Actually, there are quite a few games that I really love.  They don't tend to be as quirky as the DS games, but they're still a lot of fun. 

xbox live: nude rick james
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 04:48:44 PM »

With the games on the system that I would enjoy, for me the point of it being a purchase worth the value of the price is when the PSP hits the sub-$100 range. At that point, I think I'll probably grab one for the exclusives I'd love to play.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 04:50:31 PM »

Portable Hot Shots Golf is crack.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 05:06:02 PM »

Quote from: warning on April 03, 2007, 04:50:31 PM

Portable Hot Shots Golf is crack.

One of the reasons I want one honestly.

LD

unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 05:12:47 PM »

Quote from: Darren8r on April 03, 2007, 05:49:11 AM

is this not what your talking about? http://www.pspontv.com/

Nah, that's like the ghetto version of the thing I saw.  I believe Sony served up a "cease and desist" on the base unit thing: it was just a cradle you drop the PSP into.
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »

Hmm... here is what I'm talking about (the PSP2TV), but it seems a bit more involved than I thought.  You have to take the PSP apart and install it.  Also, I don't see it for sale anywhere.  So maybe it vanished because it didn't work well?  Dunno.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 03, 2007, 02:29:09 PM

2) PSP 2.  Likely removal of UMD functionality and switch to flash based media for games.  Second analog stick, other various improvements. 

With the current PSP, can't you transfer a UMD game to the Memory Stick and play it that way somehow?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 06:07:32 PM »

Well, if its actually going to happen I must wait then (unless I find out the firmware stuff is fixed and I can't play the old games I legitimately own on it), how cruel.

I wouldn't hold out on buying a PSP now especially at this price, simply because of rumor and speculation. I read through the entire "future of the PSP" feature at IGN and they didn't hint whatsoever at a revised/PSP2 in the future. I'm sure it will come down the line eventually, but I'm not going to wait however long it takes to come out when I'm so excited about the PSP right now. I say buy the sucker and start enjoying the some of the games you've missed out on so far (which there are a lot of I realized when browsing the PSP library the other day).

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »

Quote from: JSL on April 03, 2007, 06:06:43 PM

With the current PSP, can't you transfer a UMD game to the Memory Stick and play it that way somehow?

Officially?  No.  Via firmware hack?  Yes. 
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 07:07:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 03, 2007, 06:08:14 PM

So how much of a PIA is it to hack the firmware and still have all of the functionality of the PSP?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »

Quote from: JSL on April 03, 2007, 07:07:36 PM

So how much of a PIA is it to hack the firmware and still have all of the functionality of the PSP?

Depends entirely on what version and/or model number of your PSP. The older ones are dirt easy. The newer ones require a somewhat hard to find game (older version of GTA). It makes the PSP a far better purchase though, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 07:40:26 PM »

The downgrade process isn't too terribly bad.  Tedious is probably a better description but it's worth it that one time.

The more aggravating part is having to track all of the firmware changes being issued.  When a new game comes out you need to know if it ships with new firmware and, if so, is a hack out for that firmware.  If there is no hack available then you either have to ditch the custom firmware or forgo playing the game until a hack arrives in then go through the process of updating the firmware. 

A bit of a pain in the butt.  It was worth it for a while until I exhausted myself of the homebrew stuff at the time and then just went back to "official" firmware.  Then when the PS1 emulation hit I went through the process again so I could play PS1 games on it.

Personally it kind of makes me wish that Sony *does* revise the hardware in some form so I can just buy that and keep my existing PSP as a little emulation machine with no need to play the firmware tracking game anymore. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 08:17:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 03, 2007, 07:40:26 PM

The downgrade process isn't too terribly bad.  Tedious is probably a better description but it's worth it that one time.

The more aggravating part is having to track all of the firmware changes being issued.  When a new game comes out you need to know if it ships with new firmware and, if so, is a hack out for that firmware.  If there is no hack available then you either have to ditch the custom firmware or forgo playing the game until a hack arrives in then go through the process of updating the firmware. 

A bit of a pain in the butt.  It was worth it for a while until I exhausted myself of the homebrew stuff at the time and then just went back to "official" firmware.  Then when the PS1 emulation hit I went through the process again so I could play PS1 games on it.

Personally it kind of makes me wish that Sony *does* revise the hardware in some form so I can just buy that and keep my existing PSP as a little emulation machine with no need to play the firmware tracking game anymore. 

Wait wait, I could put vagrant story, FF 7,8,9 on the PSP and play them like that? Uh...I am almost sold.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 08:21:46 PM »

The word is so far that it's a PSP2, a revision and extra features.  But as always, these are subject to change.  This comes from Kotaku, which has been right occasionally.

So for the big things are:
- included 4 to 6 GB of NAND flash memory (the same type that's in USB thumb drives)
- possible integrated camera (same camera that's in cell phones)
- possible touch screen
- UMD will still be in the system, but the way it loads is more like a cartridge, aka a slot you insert the umd into, instead of a flimsy pop out panel like a portable cd player.
- only slightly smaller, about 1/4" shaved off all around.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 08:43:26 PM »

As much as I would love a 2nd analog on the PSP, I can't say I wouldn't be annoyed if they came out with a big revision like that so early in the product's life.  Maybe if they had some attractive trade in plan, but I don't know why they would do that - they'd wind up with a whole mess of PSPs that no one would want.   The stuff in Turtle's post seems more logical.  Nothing that would prevent you from being able to play any future psp games (unless someone came out with a game that used the touch screen).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 08:49:52 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 03, 2007, 08:17:47 PM

Wait wait, I could put vagrant story, FF 7,8,9 on the PSP and play them like that? Uh...I am almost sold.

Absolutely.  I currently have FF7 Disc 1 and Vagrant Story on my 1 Gig card right now and I can switch between them at will. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 08:54:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 03, 2007, 08:49:52 PM

Absolutely.  I currently have FF7 Disc 1 and Vagrant Story on my 1 Gig card right now and I can switch between them at will. 

So so tempting. If the price drop was to 149.99 they may have made me do it. For now I think I will hold out given my limited time. But man, I could try to sneak it into work!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 08:59:47 PM »

I currently have FF7 Disc 1 and Vagrant Story on my 1 Gig card right now and I can switch between them at will. 

Kevin Grey's PSP is so heavily modified it lets him change programs using the sheer power of his mind.  He has to do that concentration thing that Hiro does on Heroes but it works!
unbreakable
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 09:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 03, 2007, 08:54:29 PM

So so tempting. If the price drop was to 149.99 they may have made me do it. For now I think I will hold out given my limited time. But man, I could try to sneak it into work!

A friend picked up a used PSP from someone he knows for $100.  Lucky bastage... he isn't even much of a gamer.

When I heard about the hack letting you play any PS1 game, the willpower almost gave out.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 09:58:40 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 03, 2007, 08:43:26 PM

a 2nd analog on the PSP

IMHO, this is sorely needed.  I certainly hope they put one on the new revision, but it doesn't sound like it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 10:08:53 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 03, 2007, 09:58:40 PM

Quote from: Teggy on April 03, 2007, 08:43:26 PM

a 2nd analog on the PSP

IMHO, this is sorely needed.  I certainly hope they put one on the new revision, but it doesn't sound like it.

See at that point you pretty much have to make it PSP 2 instead of just a revision.  Old games wouldn't work with it and people with current PSPs couldn't play games that required dual analog. 

I'm honestly fine with that

Quote from: warning on April 03, 2007, 08:59:47 PM

I currently have FF7 Disc 1 and Vagrant Story on my 1 Gig card right now and I can switch between them at will. 

Kevin Grey's PSP is so heavily modified it lets him change programs using the sheer power of his mind.  He has to do that concentration thing that Hiro does on Heroes but it works!

Actually, it no longer works for me.  But I think if I can get a mystical sword back from Mr. Linderman I might just be back in business....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: