http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 08:49:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I now own a PS2  (Read 870 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2006, 03:20:59 PM »

Got it new off ebay for 141 bones shipped (which if you account for tax saved me 20 dollars).

It will be here in a few days and though I pulled the trigger on it before I wanted to- I wanted to play through my xbox backlog first- I'm pretty pumped.

The raves that Shadow Heart's Covenant has gotten makes me want to get it, but as I'm a bit of a completist, I'd like to play the first one first.

It rates lower than the Covenatn on Gamespot, but the user reviews are high.

Should I play the first one first?  Anyone know where to get it cheap?

Oh...and don't think I'm not salivating for Guitar Hero.

Finally, I have the DragonQuest VIII demo (cause for whatever reason I signed up for it) and am looking forward to that too.  Similar question: I haven't played this series since Dragon Warrior III on the NES.  Can I pick up VIII and enjoy it or will I be totally lost?

Thanks...and for the first time since Genesis/NES ...I own TWO consoles.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 03:38:10 PM »

Welcome to the PS2 club!

I played about 5-6 hours of the first Shadow Hearts and it just didn't do it for me.  But I hear the sequel is much improved so I'd recommend skipping SH1 unless you just have to play it.

Regarding Dragon Quest 8 - be warned I sorta liked the demo but it really didn't wow me.  The actual game itself is probably one of my all-time favorites.  I'm constantly struggling with playing it all the time because I love it so much or taking my time because I don't want it to be over.  So don't let the demo sway you too much.

And no, DQ8's story is not connected at all with the others.  You can jump right to VIII with no problem.

Now go buy Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando or I'll swat you.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 04:15:30 PM »

Good luck finding the first Shadow Hearts.  The only way I was able to get my hands on it was through Gamefly (just got it on Monday).  I played a bit of Covenenant and I think the dialogue in the second game is definitely more mature but I haven't gotten very far in either one (and I have the third, which is due next week, on pre-order).

If you like action RPG's grab Kingdom Hearts.  It's 20 bucks new and a blast to play.  I'm on the fence about Guitar Hero.  It's one of those games I'd really like to try out first before spending 70 bucks on.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 06:06:26 PM »

Play Shadow Hearts 1 if you can.  Once you get past the dated technology (graphically it's much closer to a PS1 RPG than PS2) it's a really fun and worthwhile game.  And it will add *a lot* to your playthrough on Covenant. In fact there is a section on the second disk of Covenant that I can' see having much resonance or impact if you haven't played the first game.  

Hell, I have an extra copy of the first game.  PM me your address and I'll send it to you free of charge.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:11:58 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Play Shadow Hearts 1 if you can.  Once you get past the dated technology (graphically it's much closer to a PS1 RPG than PS2) it's a really fun and worthwhile game.  And it will add *a lot* to your playthrough on Covenant. In fact there is a section on the second disk of Covenant that I can' see having much resonance or impact if you haven't played the first game.

I agree.  If you can get past the outdated graphics, it's a great game.  It's one of the few RPG's I was able to completely finish.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 09:15:00 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I agree.  If you can get past the outdated graphics, it's a great game.  It's one of the few RPG's I was able to completely finish.

I don't remember much of it so maybe I should give it another try.  I do remember being embarrassed by the really cheezy sexual innuendo between the two main characters at the start of the game.  Embarrassed as in "I hope my wife doesn't walk in and read this or she will start laughing at me."  Did that ever get better?
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 09:18:20 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I don't remember much of it so maybe I should give it another try.  I do remember being embarrassed by the really cheezy sexual innuendo between the two main characters at the start of the game.  Embarrassed as in "I hope my wife doesn't walk in and read this or she will start laughing at me."  Did that ever get better?

There was a smattering of it throughout the game, but it's not prevalent throughout the game.  Yes, some of the dialouge is pretty bad, but if you can get past it, the game is great.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 09:29:18 PM »

I finished the first Shadow Hearts and thought it was a mixed bag. Its not bad as far as JRPGs go,  but its curious that you would fix your attention to this series just after buying a PS2. The PS2 library is huge and there are literally dozens of more deserving games (and more than a  few of them are RPGs) that you should look at before even considering spending any time with this series.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 10:00:29 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
I finished the first Shadow Hearts and thought it was a mixed bag. Its not bad as far as JRPGs go,  but its curious that you would fix your attention to this series just after buying a PS2. The PS2 library is huge and there are literally dozens of more deserving games (and more than a  few of them are RPGs) that you should look at before even considering spending any time with this series.

Well, Covenant is considered by many to be one of the top RPGs of the generation.  Personally, I'd only put DQ8 and FFX before it on the PS2.  The first game isn't quite to that height (though I think it's pretty damn good) but really should be played if possible before Covenant.  

And as a bonus, SH1 is pretty short as far as RPGs go (20-30 hours).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 10:18:26 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
but its curious that you would fix your attention to this series just after buying a PS2.

Betcha it's the 'erotic' trading card collecting out of Covenant.  :twisted:  I'm at work or I'd go to search for and post the Penny Arcade strip about that side quest.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 11:13:56 PM »

Grats man, you are in for some fantastic games.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 12:44:46 AM »

I am back in the fold. I sold my PS2 about 2 years ago to fund the purchase of an mp3 player.

Recently, with all the kewl PS2 games available, specifically GUITAR HERO, I just had to have one again. Unfortunately, I wasn't gonna break the bank to do so.

Enter eBay. Sold some software, received $180. Played a gig last night, received about $60.

Picked up the PS2, memory card and GT4 today! I'll ask for GH for my birthday next month.

I'M BACK, BABY! I'M BACK!

infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 12:53:29 AM »

Some I can suggest without hesitation:

God Of War
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Hunter (wait for the re-release)
Dragon Quest 8
Guitar Hero

There are tons more of course, but you cannot go wrong with any of the above, imho. I'd also take DQ8 over SH:C, myself.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: