http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:16:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I now officially don't understand Fanboisim  (Read 1646 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2006, 01:24:29 PM »

Ok.  I loved the XBOX for the nearly 4 years that I had it exclusively as my console.  I don't know that I ever bashed PS2 or GC during that time.  I would say simple stuff that the graphic capabilities of the XB are better and having the hard drive is really convenient...but I don't know that I ever slammed another system.

As I've said a gozillion times in the past month, I got  PS2 at the beginning of March and I love it.  True, I'm cherry picking the best titles released in the past 5 years (and beyond) so it does have a bit of an advantage in that I'm almost guaranteed not to get a dud, but having the PS2 has not caused me to dislike the xbox.

Additionally, having a PS2 and XB has not caused me to hate Nintendo.

So what's the deal?

Is most fanboisim a result of having one console and not having the other?

Or is it like having a favorite sports team?  You root like crazy for your team and hate like hell any rivals?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:08:16 PM »

Beats me.  I have my favorite, which is admittedly Nintendo, but that's primarily because my favorite franchises are on their systems.  That said, I've been a multi-console owner for a while now, and love what the other systems have had to offer for the past few generations as well.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 02:14:52 PM »

Well, I will note that im pretty sure it is encouraged by the companies themselves and the titles for specific platforms helps to feed into this crap. I also think there is a little jealously due to the fact that most people can only afford one console so when you make a choice, and then hear about a killer title you can't get for your console you have to somehow legitimize your purchase and easiest way is to put down the other console.

For example, I can't get the new metal gear solid games because they are PS2 only titles and I have the best gaming platform in the world Xbox and PS2 suxxor anyway, so no loss.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »

Well you almost never see it with females - only with males.  I think it has to do with insecurity over penis size.  It's the same reason some guys are attracted to monster trucks.

I used to do it too.  Not too long ago I would have vigorously defended my PC and slammed consoles as "for kids."  It's nice to grow up and embrace my inner Katamari.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 02:28:13 PM »

This is because Hetz *HAD* to rush and put up that Nintendo bashing without fully reading the article from which he was quoting, right? :lol:

I have always thought liking something is cool, but the need to denigrate something else as a way to 'prove' what you like is best is just stupid.  Just me.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Ok.  I loved the XBOX for the nearly 4 years that I had it exclusively as my console.  I don't know that I ever bashed PS2 or GC during that time.  I would say simple stuff that the graphic capabilities of the XB are better and having the hard drive is really convenient...but I don't know that I ever slammed another system.

As I've said a gozillion times in the past month, I got  PS2 at the beginning of March and I love it.  True, I'm cherry picking the best titles released in the past 5 years (and beyond) so it does have a bit of an advantage in that I'm almost guaranteed not to get a dud, but having the PS2 has not caused me to dislike the xbox.

So what's the deal?

Or is it like having a favorite sports team?  You root like crazy for your team and hate like hell any rivals?

I don't consider myself a fanboy, but I do react negatively when people unreasonably trump up one console or the other.  Nintendo hype really sticks in my craw because much of it is a remnant from days long gone, looking through the rose-colored glasses of Nintendo Nostalgia (tm).  So you played your NES non stop your entire childhood - great.  It doesn't mean that everything they touch will turn to gold.  Yet for many people, Nintendo can do no wrong, and they will proclaim their virtues to the heavens with only the slightest shred of information (see: Revolution).  

I feel the same way about Apple - I have a couple of Macs and iPods, I enjoy using them, but I haven't "drank the Kool-Aid".  People who worship at the altar of Steve Jobs and vilify the EVAL MICRO$OFT!!11 drive me batty.  Yeah - It's a nice computer - but Apple doesn't deserve any kind of particular loyalty just because they sell an "image" as much as a physical product... just like Nintendo sells "nostalgia" as much as they sell games.

Lest anyone think I'm just another fanboy - I own both Xboxes, both Playstations, a Dreamcast, a GameCube, a N64, *and* a gaming PC (And a powerbook and two iPods).  

Anyway, rant off smile
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »

I also think there is a little jealously due to the fact that most people can only afford one console so when you make a choice, and then hear about a killer title you can't get for your console you have to somehow legitimize your purchase and easiest way is to put down the other console.

100% agree.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 03:15:42 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Quote from: "ATB"

So what's the deal?

I don't consider myself a fanboy, but I do react negatively when people unreasonably trump up one console or the other.  Nintendo hype really sticks in my craw because much of it is a remnant from days long gone, looking through the rose-colored glasses of Nintendo Nostalgia (tm).  So you played your NES non stop your entire childhood - great.  It doesn't mean that everything they touch will turn to gold.  Yet for many people, Nintendo can do no wrong, and they will proclaim their virtues to the heavens with only the slightest shred of information (see: Revolution).  

I feel the same way about Apple - I have a couple of Macs and iPods, I enjoy using them, but I haven't "drank the Kool-Aid".  People who worship at the altar of Steve Jobs and vilify the EVAL MICRO$OFT!!11 drive me batty.  Yeah - It's a nice computer - but Apple doesn't deserve any kind of particular loyalty just because they sell an "image" as much as a physical product... just like Nintendo sells "nostalgia" as much as they sell games.

Lest anyone think I'm just another fanboy - I own both Xboxes, both Playstations, a Dreamcast, a GameCube, a N64, *and* a gaming PC (And a powerbook and two iPods).  

Anyway, rant off smile

Bravo, Laner!  smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »

I'd also say that I think most fanboi-ism comes from having to "pick a camp" because most people can only afford one system. I've been able to own two of this generation's crop, and extensively play the third, and they definitely have their pros and cons. And if I were to proclaim a winner, it would be the one that I've had the most fun on ... and that's actually the PS2, which I never expected to enjoy when it first came out.

I've had my stupid little sig for a long time now, but I think it still rings true: people should really be focused on the games first, and then the console second. That's why, for instance, the Revolution is either going to sink or soar, because the games are either going to be really fun or, well, really not. I play video games for the enjoyment. It's why I walked through an electronics store and was instantly hooked on Katamari, while I couldn't figure out / couldn't get into the beautiful HD King Kong kiosk and quickly walked away from it.

So, I think general system bashing is foolish, of course. Honest, equal-minded game discussion is not, however, and that is a fair way to indirectly judge a console. Got nothing against anyone who hates the Cube because they hate the games on it, for instance, though personally I think they're missing out.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 06:16:40 PM »

I have all the consoles and don't suffer form fanboyism.  Sure, I like Nintendo over all others and I defend them because I think they need it, but I don't put down the competitors.  With all these great gaming systems out there, I count myself lucky that I can enjoy them all and not have to side with one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 10:21:31 PM »

I have a favorite, but I like almost anything that plays games, one of my favorite systems growing up was the Turbo Duo, for the love of Pete!

However, I love to argue just as much, and the internet and forums are a great place for me to get my itch scratched without pissing off loved ones. So I will generally defend one side or another with no other purpose than to further discussion. However, I try my damndest to make good points, and to refrain from simple bashing. I've also done my share of simple bashing so I am not totally innocent, but those arguements are never fun.

You can tell a true fanboy when they post on everything little niggling detail, or start arguements over things that don't really matter. In 2001 I was a big Gamecube fanboy, and I would do this, but it's pretty ridiculous.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 01:34:26 AM »

I'm probably the only person in the world who only has got a GC last generation.

But, I'm more into PCs than consoles, the GC gives me my Zelda and Metroid, and that's really about all my requirements RE:consoles.

Yes, I like other things, and have a PS1 (or rather, a borrowed one).  I'll probably get a PS3, if for no other reason than to play the PS2 games I own but never played.

I'm into RPGs, and not into sports.  So really, I'm not sure what the XBox would offer me, personally, which I can't get from a PC.

As for the fanboyism, I don't get it either.  I've always been happy with my GC, and since it isn't my source of gaming, it's comparatively lower number of titles doesn't even bother me.  I agree, it has to be the "sour grapes" thing.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 01:48:42 AM »

Nintendo has always held a warm spot in my heart.  I want to defend them.  But I have been so uttery disapointed with the Gamecube that I can't bring myself to do it anymore.  If you would have told me 3 years ago that I would have invested countless more hours playing my Xbox than the Cube I would have said you were crazy.  

With the advent of the 360 and the maturation of Xbox Live, I find myself firmly in the Microsoft camp.  I can't believe I just wrote that.  :shock:

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 01:54:50 AM »

My consoles tend to gather dust, but if that is your chosen form of gaming, I can see why people would have expected more out of the GC (had that been the only console of that generation they purchased).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 12:13:52 PM »

I just play the games.  Doesn't matter who makes them, if it has good games I'll buy.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
I have all the consoles and don't suffer form fanboyism.  Sure, I like Nintendo over all others and I defend them because I think they need it, but I don't put down the competitors.  With all these great gaming systems out there, I count myself lucky that I can enjoy them all and not have to side with one.

Yeah, I have all the consoles, too and as much as I love my shiny new 360, there's still some fantastic games coming out for the PS2 and regular Xbox.  As a matter of fact, most of my gaming time lately has been spent playing MLB 2006 The Show on my PS2.  

I love my little Gamecube, too, but it doesn't look like there's much coming out for it in the near future.  

I'm a fan of whichever system makes the coolest games.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 01:00:34 PM »

Bravo, DiscoJason!  biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 02:14:22 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"

Bravo, DiscoJason!  biggrin

Ditto. smile

MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 03:29:54 PM »

well, chicks can experience the "console fanboy-ism" too, i'll tell you right now.  ^_^

the first console i remember playing a lot was the Sega Genesis, and it pretty much endeared me to Sega and SonicTeam for life (to this day, Phantasy Star 4 is one of my favorite games).  i really enjoyed the SegaCD (mostly for Silpheed).  i was a little disappointed in the Saturn, just because i wasn't used to needing a 'memcard' (hell, i wasn't used to being able to save, except in long RPGs), but the games were still gorgeous (NiGHTS and Microcosm being some faves). then the Dreamcast came along and just blew me away.  by that time, i think i probably had an N64 (for Banjo Tooie and Killer Instinct Gold), but i don't think i had a playstation.  i remember comparing the graphics to Playstation and laughing my ass off at my friends for not having Dreamcasts.  we bought the console specifically for Soul Calibur and DOA2, and we weren't disappointed.  of course, then we got Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia, and i was downright hooked (did i mention how much i adored Sonic Adventure 1 & 2? more than any little girl should love any video game that doesn't have Barbie or Hello Kitty in it).  i was thoroughly a Sega fan (and wanted to bomb Nintendo when i heard about the hostile takeover).

along with that, i've always disliked Nintendo, both for their laziness and lack of courage as far as pushing technology to its limits, and for the fact that they were Sega's main rival company.  i was totally neutral about the PS2, however; it had the game support, and i'd heard it was a real work horse, but i wasn't close friends with anyone who gave it a glowing review, so i had to be convinced slowly for myself (bought it anyway, just because we needed a family DVD player).  little did i know, there were amazing games like .hack and FFX on the horizon for the PS2...  i was a bit wary of the Xbox, just because it's Microsoft (ewww, i still feel all germy about it, even though i love the Xbox so much...).  yeah, but then i played Otogi, and i just couldn't hate a system with such pretty graphics.

i would guess that so-called "fanboy-ism" has to do with what you grew up playing, what consoles have the best/most of your favorite kind of game, and whether you value gameply, graphics, or performance most.  *shrug*

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 08:52:42 PM »

Fanboy-ism is ghey.  :lol:

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 09:31:26 PM »

I truly believe it stems from a mix of immaturity, a specific brand loyalty due to an economic model and the avoidance of buyers remorse. Think of it, most of us don't consider ourselves "fanbois" because many of us own multiple platform. Many of us are older now and have more of a disposable income to dedicate to our hobbies (gaming). Teenagers on the other hand, typically have to beg mom and dad for that one console, and that's all they are gonna get until the next gen (or they get a job and move out of their parents basement). So they are going to fiercely defend their only option. No one like to feel like they wasted their money.

This is also why the loyalty to certain video card manufacturers is bitterly viscous. No one (even us working types) want to spend $400-$500 dollars on a video card just to find out that the cometition is better. These days, the performance between ATI and Nvidia cards is somewhat of a wash. They perform so closely, yet the fanboism is as strong as ever.

It's a weird phenomenom nontheless.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 10:44:30 PM »

I was a fanboy once, I loved the N64 and swore up and down that it was way better than the Playstation.  Yeah, I learned my lesson.  I'm no longer a fanboy and I think "console wars" are a huge waste of time.  If you like something cool, if you like it better than something else, thats cool too.  Just dont make it a forced point, no one else gives a shit.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 12:44:09 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
I was a fanboy once, I loved the N64 and swore up and down that it was way better than the Playstation.  Yeah, I learned my lesson.  I'm no longer a fanboy and I think "console wars" are a huge waste of time.  If you like something cool, if you like it better than something else, thats cool too.  Just dont make it a forced point, no one else gives a shit.

Heh... actually, I did like the N64 more than the PS1, with the exception of JRPG's, which were sorely lacking.  biggrin  But again, I picked up both to enjoy my favorite games on each.  I tend to have more money for gaming with how much I save off of not buying booze all the time like so many other people I know.  slywink

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 09:48:36 AM »

I loved the N64. Had a hell of a time with it, much more so than the PS1 ... but the PS2 rules the roost this generation, for my tastes.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: