http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:17:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I never would have survived the 16 bit era  (Read 1056 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »

Between the Atari 2600 and the PSX I didn't own any consoles.  So there are a ton of classics out there that I have never played, and now, with re-releases I can pick them up.  One such example is Zelda: A Link To The Past, which I picked up for my DS.

Maybe I'm just a really bad gamer, but this game is hard. Simply walking from one are to the next is like running the gauntlet - knights charge and shoot arrows at you, things pop out of the ground, birds swoop through the air.  I'm lucky to reach a dungeon, much less get inside and kill the boss. I have died countless times already and I have only gotten to the second boss (the caterpillar guys, which I have to figure out how to take out).

I don't know how you guys did it.  No tutorial, no gamefaqs (I at least have not had to resort to that yet), just you and an instructional manual (and 95 cents a minute for the hint line, I guess).

16 bit era gamers, I salute you!

On a side note, I am really impressed on the links between the Zelda games.  I have only played Wind Waker, and it was pretty cool to see that they use the same exact pieces of music or audio (in lo-fi versions) when you meet fairies, or uncover a secret, or when Link swings his sword.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:31:13 PM »

Not to worry Teggy; LOZ: LttP is one of the hardest Zelda games ever released. I picked this up for my son a few years back and had to help him a number of times before he beat it. If you get too frustrated pick-up the Minish Cap which is another excellent Zelda game that was released for the GBA. Minish Cap is much easier than LttP.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 04:35:32 PM »

Back in the day the help line had game counselors and it was a free 800 number.  Man, those days were sweet.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 19, 2007, 03:43:09 PM

Between the Atari 2600 and the PSX I didn't own any consoles.  So there are a ton of classics out there that I have never played, and now, with re-releases I can pick them up.  One such example is Zelda: A Link To The Past, which I picked up for my DS.

Maybe I'm just a really bad gamer, but this game is hard. Simply walking from one are to the next is like running the gauntlet - knights charge and shoot arrows at you, things pop out of the ground, birds swoop through the air.  I'm lucky to reach a dungeon, much less get inside and kill the boss. I have died countless times already and I have only gotten to the second boss (the caterpillar guys, which I have to figure out how to take out).

I don't know how you guys did it.  No tutorial, no gamefaqs (I at least have not had to resort to that yet), just you and an instructional manual (and 95 cents a minute for the hint line, I guess).

16 bit era gamers, I salute you!

On a side note, I am really impressed on the links between the Zelda games.  I have only played Wind Waker, and it was pretty cool to see that they use the same exact pieces of music or audio (in lo-fi versions) when you meet fairies, or uncover a secret, or when Link swings his sword.

i come from basically the same video-gaming background as you (i was playing computer games), & just finished lttp last year for the first time. yeah, i found it to be a pretty nasty game, too, & am pretty sure i wouldn't've had the wherewithall back then to've seen it through. why that changed i'm not sure - maybe playing the more recent entries in the series re-engineered my skills? it still took quite a bit of on-again/off-again playing for me to get through it (but it was very, very worth it)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 04:46:07 PM »

See, I would disagree with calling "LttP" extremely tough. Was it difficult? Sure thing as it required you to think about how to approach certain puzzles and without GameFAQs as a go-to if you're stuck then it became that much tougher "back in the day." Frankly, I love the game top to bottom and would still play it had I a DS (which I'm almost ready to pick up funds-wise).

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:41 PM »

The best example I can give people who didn't game back before things like Gamefaqs is Infocom games.  Infocom games were text-based adventure games on the computer.  You would type things like "go west" to move west.  I loved Infocom games from Zork to Infidel to Wishbringer.  When I would play them, I would get stuck, though.  And sometimes I would be stuck for a month.  I would try all kinds of things to advance in the game and eventually would give up for a while.  Then, maybe a month later, I would think about it again and finally come up with what I had to do to get past that spot.  Imagine being stuck in a game for a month.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 04:53:55 PM »

I used to invest a lot of time into games because they were so hard back then I guess.  I never really considered it from that standpoint I suppose.  smile  Now I find I have a very short attention span when it comes to gaming, so I tend to try and find stuff that's not very hard but fun. 

If I could ever land a damn Wii I would more than likely be in Gaming Nirvana!  smile  Just the included Sports title looks like enough to keep me and the wifey busy for a while. 
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »

You want hard? Try Contra. I played that game a year or so ago for the first time since the 8-bit Nintendo era. Good lord. How the hell did I ever manage to get past the 2nd level?  retard

Wait, I know - up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start. That's how I did it.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 05:02:13 PM »

I've loved all the Zelda games I played, but the SNES and hand-held versions hold a special place in my heart.  They are true gaming goodness.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 05:09:09 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 19, 2007, 04:48:41 PM

The best example I can give people who didn't game back before things like Gamefaqs is Infocom games.  Infocom games were text-based adventure games on the computer.  You would type things like "go west" to move west.  I loved Infocom games from Zork to Infidel to Wishbringer.  When I would play them, I would get stuck, though.  And sometimes I would be stuck for a month.  I would try all kinds of things to advance in the game and eventually would give up for a while.  Then, maybe a month later, I would think about it again and finally come up with what I had to do to get past that spot.  Imagine being stuck in a game for a month.

i just want everyone here o know that i, suck as i might at other games, i did indeed figure out how to get the babel fish in hhgttg completely & totally on my own...

infocom uber alles - great, great memories (floyd!). being stuck in a game for a month has never been more fun...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 19, 2007, 05:09:09 PM

Quote from: The Grue on January 19, 2007, 04:48:41 PM

i just want everyone here o know that i, suck as i might at other games, i did indeed figure out how to get the babel fish in hhgttg completely & totally on my own...

infocom uber alles - great, great memories (floyd!). being stuck in a game for a month has never been more fun...

I used to draw out maps for Infocom games, with one box for each room or area you went into and lines representing the paths out E,W, etc.  I can't remember which game, but one of them had a maze in it.  A maze in text - talk about frustration.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 06:06:47 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 19, 2007, 05:32:11 PM

I used to draw out maps for Infocom games, with one box for each room or area you went into and lines representing the paths out E,W, etc.  I can't remember which game, but one of them had a maze in it.  A maze in text - talk about frustration.

infocom was likely as good a friend as the graph paper industry's ever had smile ...

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 06:10:16 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 19, 2007, 06:06:47 PM

Quote from: Teggy on January 19, 2007, 05:32:11 PM

infocom was likely as good a friend as the graph paper industry's ever had smile ...

Yep, I used to draw out maps on graph paper as well.  I almost wish I had kept them to just look back on them fondly.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 06:12:31 PM »

I LOVED  those infocom games -- inparticular the 3 Zorks, Witness, Deadline, Hitchhikers Guide...  I believe I finished ZorkI, II and Witness on my own.  Deadline and Zork III i bought one of those books with the invisible ink,and marker which you ran over it to only open up the clues that you actually wanted.  I have no idea how many hours I played those games...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »

I may still have some of my old graph paper maps around, especially for Bards Tale and Pool of Radiance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: