http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I never thought I say this about Gamepro...  (Read 1483 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2005, 10:45:31 PM »

But they are so right on the money, well at least this opinion piece is...

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/games/features/39489.shtml

Prior to the November 9 launch of Halo 2, many media outlets were calling it "the most highly anticipated shooter of all time." I'd venture to say it's the most over-hyped shooter of all time--a fun shooter that breaks as many boundaries as Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer do for films
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 11:19:47 PM »

For multiplayer on a console it certainly does break boundaries.  Unfortunately they ran out of time to give the same treatment to the single-player game and we got a short and mostly average, albeit still fun, shooter.  Personally, I would not compare it to the no talent *ss-clown Bay though (Bruckheimer produces some good, some bad).
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 11:32:30 PM »

I wish more sites did brief re-reviews for the major releases. I know Black & White sure as hell could have used one. I think a re-review every once in a while would be great, allowing a reviewer to step away from the hype that clouded the initial release of a given game and see whether or not the game deserved the scores it received.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 11:38:08 PM »

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by Halo 2 as well.  Even the multiplayer portion, which is was most people seem to enjoy the most, doesn't seem like much more than vanilla deathmatch to me.

It's a shame that over-hyped games usually do end up selling well, while truly excellent games like Pikmin 2 go completely unnoticed in the marketplace.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 12:14:30 AM »

So what? Only the most brainless Halo fanboy would lap up the massive hype for the game. The same goes with any of the other titles released that get listed "As the greatest thing since sliced bread". The game never was going to live up to the hype. Neither was HL2 or any other game. Stop listening to all that hype crap and you will enjoy your games allot more I say.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 01:45:12 AM »

wow still the halo 2 complaints!!!

the game is fun, its quicker easier and less expensive than pc which (aside from battlefield and such) has pretty much the same FPS offerings.

im gonna start mailin everybody who posts about it a copy of goldeneye 2 or that stupid vietnam game - how much better of a shooter did you want??? (okay, 100%deformable terrain and structures would rock but i dont think well see that kind of power for another couple years).  think how many of us cried and laughed at the shear awesomeness of live and UC when it first came out - next to halo its wolfenstein

and yeah if you listen to 100% of hype and believe it then the entire earth and better part of the solar system should have imploded on nov 9th smile  (at least accordin to PR) - and that would have been after the game manual gave you a free handjob while cookin you dinner.

Im def NOT a halo 2 fanboy but damn if this game "isnt that good" then id hate to live up to any of those expectations
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 02:17:54 AM »

when you compare it to PC standards, Halo 2 and the original, is mediocre at best.  When you compare Halo 2 to Riddick, it's also mediocre.  However, while I didn't care for it, it has done well in the multiplayer department for the xbox.

But overall without the hype, it's a mediocre game, that offers nothing new.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 02:34:53 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I wish more sites did brief re-reviews for the major releases.

What would you like me to re-review?  I personally didn't do the Halo 2 review, Tim did.  Anyway, much like other posters have said...there was no way games like Doom 3, Half-Life 2 or Halo 2 could have possibly lived up to the hype that preceded them.  Half-Life 2 is seeing about as much backlash as Halo 2 is nowadays.

The bigger the internet gets the more hype that is generated for games.  There are a few games this year that will have lots of hype build-up and it will be interesting to see if there is massive hype that they can't possibly obtain or whether the hype will simmer and not get so out of control.  Games I can think of off the top of my head that may succumb to hype this year:

Jade Empire (Xbox) - I don't know how much BioWare can keep the lid on

Legend of Zelda (GameCube) - if Nintendo was smart, they'd show this at E3 and not before, I can only guess a pre-Thanksgiving release on this

Gran Turismo 4 (PS2) - already has tons of hype, already has been said that the computer still drives the same route every time

The Square-Enix Lineup (Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts II, Dragon Warrior VIII) - this is indeed the year of the RPGs and the major console RPG force are bringing these 3 heavyweights to the ring.  DW is already out in Japan and should be the first one out in the states.  KH2 is supposedly going to see a worldwide release sometime in the second-half of the year.  FF XII is also supposedly coming in the second-half of the year, but little has been seen of the game...which is good because once the hype starts it will snowball into something no game can live up to.  All three will see hype of varying levels and we'll see if they can all survive it or not.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (All) - The original team is back on the game, the hype once the full previews hit are going to be deafening

Brothers in Arms (All, including PC) - The hype is about to blow on this one and it's due next month

Battlefield 2 (PC) - EA and DICE have kept a lid on the game until CES, now that people have played it a bit the hype is about to begin

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC) - if it indeed comes out this year, the hype will be greater than anything it could bring to you

F.E.A.R. (PC) - the "next" FPS and it's from Monolith, which could be good or bad

OK...that's more than a few and you can probably think of more, but you get the idea.  Granted, none of the games (outside of possibly FFXII, Gran Turismo 4 and Elder Scrolls IV) can measure up to the hype of a Halo 2 or Half-Life 2, but large amounts of hype will probably be generated nonetheless.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 04:31:13 AM »

Fox, I'd love you long time if you re-reviewed the major games for any console (or platform) six months or so after they were released. Even thoughts on how the game sits with the original reviewer half a year after playing it would be cool, though I think replaying the game would be the best way to go about it. The point isn't just to weed out those games that floated solely on hype, but also to praise those that were actually worth everyone's attention in the first place.

So, come April, what does everyone still think of Halo 2? GTA: San Andreas? Half-Life 2? Resident Evil 4? Metroid Prime: Echoes? Metal Gear Solid 3? World of Warcraft? etc...

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 06:25:28 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Metal Gear Solid 3?

I didn't review the others, but 2 months since this game I still stand by my review.  I think MGS3 actually benefitted from Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 being hyped to high heaven.  It didn't have as much to live up to as MGS2 did, which is the reason I think a lot of people didn't like MGS2 (I personally did).  I'd even go so far as to say MGS3 is better than the original MGS...I was very hesitant about MGS3 with it being set in the past and all that, but Kojima and company hit a home run in my mind.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 06:57:01 AM »

Cool. See, I seem to have the strange idea that a second review would be a little more honest, and maybe bring up some things that were missed the first time through. You're not rushed to get the review out. There isn't any sort of hype bias that would influence you. You'd be able to notice things, good or bad, that you didn't take in before - bugs, glitches, inconsistencies, or little touches that add to the gameplay, story, atmosphere. Is the gameplay still fun? Does the story still work? Do the graphics still hold up artistically? Did they really add anything new to the genre or the series?

I see it like a movie - after the opening weekend, what's the movie's staying power? I know I've walked out of many films, impressed with what I saw, only to wonder later on what I liked about the movie so much. And on the flip side, there are many movies that still entertain, still impress, still work perfectly years later, no matter how many times I watch them.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 01:07:09 PM »

Dafones wrote:
Metal Gear Solid 3?

I didn't review the others, but 2 months since this game I still stand by my review. I think MGS3 actually benefitted from Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 being hyped to high heaven. It didn't have as much to live up to as MGS2 did, which is the reason I think a lot of people didn't like MGS2 (I personally did). I'd even go so far as to say MGS3 is better than the original MGS...I was very hesitant about MGS3 with it being set in the past and all that, but Kojima and company hit a home run in my mind.

as they did in my mind (& ign's mind as well, where they just gave it both their best action game & best story of the year awards)...

on topic: i'm all for re-reviews, nothing like a little post-game reflection on the one end to blow away the pre-release hype on the other...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 02:46:49 PM »

The Sith Lords needs to be dragged out into the light to show its broken, fetid corpse clinging onto an untapped storyline and flawed gameplay.

At least, this is *my* opinion.  :twisted:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: