http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:13:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need one more PSP game. Help me pick.  (Read 1621 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2005, 06:11:06 PM »

I can squeeze enough $$ for one more PSP game.  I have Lumines and Untold Legends (which, btw, is much better than the so-so reviews) and am enjoying both quite a bit.  The ones I'm looking at (in order of interest) are:

1.  Wipeout Pure
2.  Ridge Racer
3.  World Tour Soccer

I'm a fan of fast-paced, arcade-style racing, provided it's done well.  It looks like Wipeout Pure has this nailed, but I'm not sure about Ridge Racer.  Does it lean more toward the arcade or realistic racing end of things?   As a soccer player, WTS intrigues me but I'm debating on waiting to see how FIFA compares.

So, which one do I get?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 06:27:22 PM »

Well the 3 games I got were RR, Wipeout and Untold Legends. I'm a big football fan, so I have Fifa on order. Personally I reckon you will enjoy Wipeout a little more, as it's certainly faster. Although RR is in no way realistic. Even Mad Max would be weary driving one of those cars. The game seems to be basically a game of catch up, as you are always last, and when you overtake a car that's basically the last you'd see of it. The tracks are all fairly similar, and it takes a while to get used to drifting. The presentation is first class, and it really makes your PSP look like a next gen handheld. I'd prefer a handheld verson of Burnout, but it's still an enjoyable game. Wipeout's a little different, as there is a lot of combat involved. Great fun, even if it seems a little more basic than RR. I haven't played it enough to really judge, as since I've got Untold Legends that's been all I've played.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 07:16:55 PM »

I like RR better, but I might be the only one!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 05:03:47 AM »

Wipeout pure rocks. I have it and thug2, both of which are great games.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 07:17:23 AM »

I like Wipeout, but it just doesn't have much depth to it.  I'd vote for THUG2 myself...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 06:16:51 AM »

I`m going to have to disagree with you on one thing. I know alot of people don`t agree with me, but I think wipeout pure has lots of replay. I just find it simply LOTS of fun. The zone mode, single races, 4 and 8 race tournaments. There`s a lot there for me at least. I`m not saying they`re wrong, I`m just saying not everyone is thinking like that, that`s all :wink: .
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 02:35:08 AM »

I'd have to toss my vote for Wipeout too. I bought Ridge Racer when I got my PSP but a few days later rented Wipeout.

I haven't even loaded the RR disc once since I rented Wipeout.

It's the game that I enjoy playing the most on my PSP.

nuff said.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 02:47:26 AM »

I know you already have Lumines, but I thought I would chime in and say I just got it yesterday and absolutely love it.

It might just be the best puzzle game I have ever played...

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 04:52:18 AM »

I have wipeout and world tour soccer.

Of all of my psp games I have played world tour soccer the most. I have beat it on two difficulty levels and am working on the third. There is a cup mode and a challenge mode. Challenge mode is a nic change but very difficult. The cup mode is a blast. Its a very fun to get through those tournaments. There are some things that will bug you every now and then while you play. For one the clock runs quite long after a foul or a throw in or something of the sort. Another thing that is annoying is that it pauses for a few seconds while the other team is subbing, which they always do right at the last ten minutes of each and every game. Best handheld soccer game Ive ever played. It might be worth it to wait for fifa, I dont know, but world tour soccer is fun with lots of unlockables. Great fun.

Wipeout is also fun. I wont say much about it because its obvious that its a great game smile. If I had to chose, I would probably chose soccer, just for the replayability of it. I can play it over and over again, never gets old ot me. Great game!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 08:14:51 AM »

I say if you are most interested in Wipeout then buy Wipeout.  Really though, it all depends on what you like.  If you need a forum to decide for you, maybe you arent interested enough in any of the games?

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 10:00:08 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
I say if you are most interested in Wipeout then buy Wipeout.  Really though, it all depends on what you like.  If you need a forum to decide for you, maybe you arent interested enough in any of the games?

I don't think he "needs" the forum to decide for him. Like many here, he was asking for impressions by those who have played the game, to  help him make his decision.  smile

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 10:22:09 AM »

Hmm, that soccer game sounds like great fun. I'm still waiting for my Fifa. As for Wipeout, apparently there will new tracks, cars (or whatever those things are) and music to download, so it might last a bit longer then you expect. I agree with Harpau 3, there is a lot to it, and each race is different. Anyone got any tips on Wipeout or RR? I'm pretty new to racing games with the exception of Burnout.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 12:04:15 PM »

From what I played last night MLB is pretty good!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 12:08:38 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I ended up getting Wipeout Pure, which is an absolute blast so far.  I'll wait on a soccer game until FIFA is released, just so I can check out the comparison between the two.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 04:04:42 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Hmm, that soccer game sounds like great fun. I'm still waiting for my Fifa. As for Wipeout, apparently there will new tracks, cars (or whatever those things are) and music to download, so it might last a bit longer then you expect. I agree with Harpau 3, there is a lot to it, and each race is different. Anyone got any tips on Wipeout or RR? I'm pretty new to racing games with the exception of Burnout.

For wipeout Ive got a tip, it may be obvious, but I didnt figure it out for quite a while. The circle button will absorb the weapon you have to increase your hp. I didnt know that ofr a long time and was frustrated when I would lose a race by being blown up. Anyways, long story short, this will help you out. Most people have already fiured it out, but I didnt. Also, dont forget to flip over when in the air so you get the boost at the bottom. Also, you can change the configuration of the controls so you can air brake with only the right trigger, and then use the left trigger to strafe from side to side. It takes a little while to get used to but helps out eventually. Enjoy the game!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 05:39:14 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Quote from: "JayG"
For wipeout Ive got a tip, it may be obvious, but I didnt figure it out for quite a while. The circle button will absorb the weapon you have to increase your hp.

Cool.  I knew you could absorb the weapon, but didn't notice that it increased health.  Very handy tip, that.

Also, dont forget to flip over when in the air so you get the boost at the bottom.

Flip over?  How?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 06:18:05 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

Flip over?  How?

While in the air press:

L, R, L for a left barrel roll

-or-

R, L, R for a right barrel roll
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 07:14:10 PM »

It's a very fun game.  Good choice!

I'm at the "plateau" of sorts, where it takes me several times to race something to get closer and closer at getting a gold medal.  And I'm kinda sorta stuck at the third zone race - only can do 28 laps - so I'm pretty close.

But it's a great game to just race and have fun with.  The O-button absorb is critical too   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 03:58:50 PM »

The zone races are difficult but a blast. If you get gold on all 4 you unlock a new  ship, which I think is the best one. Allthough I dont have the other ship you can unlock yet. Sometimes in the higher difficulty levels you get racing and you just cant believe how fast you are going and how crazy everything gets. Its pretty fun.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 04:48:34 PM »

I got burnt out on wipeout pure after about 2 weeks. It's good, but I think Quantum Redshift is better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: