http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 06:29:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need an RPG  (Read 1688 times)
ScubaV
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:52 AM »

I currently am out of games I own that I'm interested in playing.  RPG's are my favorite genre, so anyone know any good, recent RPG's?  I've played Witcher and NWN2+expac, so those are out.  I'd try Mount and Blade, but I'd rather wait for it to get finished (if that happens) rather than play a beta and get bored with it before the full release.  I'm not interested in MMO's.  I played WoW, but that's on hold now until the next expac.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 12:52:45 AM »

Mass Effect?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:40:21 AM »

Eschelon:  book 1 smile

D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:58:43 AM »

Mass Effect is a great change of pace Sci Fi RPG - cant quite tell if I'll finish the game but  I'm having fun nonetheless.

I'll skip all the old games and go with new or relatively new games

1) Two Words (1/3 person perspective)
sorta like Witcher. Where as Witcher has great story, voice acting, and combat - Two worlds has a more open game world where you can do a lot of exploring. If your are the adventuring type when playing a game then Two Worlds will not disappoint.  The art direction is relatively the same in both games. Wither with all it too the rail plotting still easily trumps the open Two Worlds. But I liked Two Worlds a lot definitly get the now planned sequel.

Two Indie titles to look our for are Depths of Peril and Eschalon book 1.
Both are overheard perspective games - Eschalon just announced they were coming out with Book 2 (supposed to be 3 books), the demo for Eschalon was good but very very short. Depths of Peril didn't look good to me but it gotten great reviews and whenever there is  Depths of Peril thread, its usually filled with enthusiastic players
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:21:54 AM »

First 20 levels of Age of Conan is a nice RPG...

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »

Are there any Infinity Engine games you never got around to playing?  Seems to be a lot of renewed life for them now that the high resolution mods are getting so much more publicity.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:38:13 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 12, 2008, 09:21:54 AM

First 20 levels of Age of Conan is a nice RPG...

yeah, but to get the conclusion to the story you need to go further  Tongue  besides, the first 20 can be cranked out in 5 hours.

Another vote for Two Worlds here.  Just don't go in expecting a visual masterpiece/deep story like The Witcher.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:40:13 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
KC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »

Oblivion mods?
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:58 PM »

Age of Conan - Out, not gonna consider MMO's.
Mass Effect - Possibly, the tales of crappy combat make me worry about it holding my interest.
Indie titles - I might check those two out, generally I don't play indie games as they lack polish, but we'll see.
Oblivion/Two Worlds - I definitely like focused, story-driven RPG's far more than the sandbox, open world type.  So these two are probably at the bottom of my list.

Thanks for the ideas.  It's too bad RPG's as a genre have been in such a slump in recent years.  At least the Europeans are somewhat picking up the North American developer slack.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:26:09 PM »

+1 to Mass Effect.

Great sci-fi story and I enjoyed the combat (you have to at least tolerate 'tactical' shooters though).

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 12, 2008, 12:57:15 PM

Are there any Infinity Engine games you never got around to playing?  Seems to be a lot of renewed life for them now that the high resolution mods are getting so much more publicity.

I ordered Baldur's Gate II Ultimate Collection today from Amazon for $14.99, and it includes the Throne of Bhaal. I'm looking forward to playing it with the high-res mod.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36:14 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 12, 2008, 11:17:33 PM

I ordered Baldur's Gate II Ultimate Collection today from Amazon for $14.99, and it includes the Throne of Bhaal. I'm looking forward to playing it with the high-res mod.

Great game and one of the best addons ever made. Really gave completion to the series. And I loved that little imp smile.."AhahHAHhhh shinies"

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »

I need an RPG

I have the that same thought while sitting in traffic.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 06:47:54 AM »

Did you play any of the StarWars Knights of the Old Republic games?

I liked both of them a lot, even though the second one lacked polish...and ending...hmm, well, get the first one  icon_biggrin

A new one
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 08:53:59 PM »

Bill Harris has a nice blog posting about a graphical mod for Planescape Torment that upgrades it to 1600x1200, supposed to be nice. So could try that oldie but goodie.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 11:47:04 PM »

Quote from: D.A.Lewis on June 12, 2008, 04:58:43 AM

I almost picked up Two Worlds, but the screenshots were all third person perspective (and I've got this thing where I don't like having my character out in front of me), so I passed. (Oddly, I don't mind a top-down three-quarter isometric view for some reason, as in Crusader.)
My interest is now rekindled.
How does the 1st person perspective work? Can you choose to play entirely in 1st person, or is it primarily third person, with brief first person areas?
D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 12:02:45 AM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on June 13, 2008, 11:47:04 PM

I almost picked up Two Worlds, but the screenshots were all third person perspective (and I've got this thing where I don't like having my character out in front of me), so I passed. (Oddly, I don't mind a top-down three-quarter isometric view for some reason, as in Crusader.)
How does the 1st person perspective work? Can you choose to play entirely in 1st person, or is it primarily third person, with brief first person areas?

simply move the mouse wheel all the way in and you are in total 1st person perspective. But I can't remember if it is Two Worlds or Gothic that switches you to 3rd person when you are in combat.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 12:08:30 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 12, 2008, 11:17:33 PM

I just did the same thing for about the same price with shipping.  I'm looking forward to playing the game again.  I don't think I ever finished the expansion the first time.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 01:25:11 AM »

Quote from: D.A.Lewis on June 14, 2008, 12:02:45 AM

Quote from: Giles Habibula on June 13, 2008, 11:47:04 PM

simply move the mouse wheel all the way in and you are in total 1st person perspective. But I can't remember if it is Two Worlds or Gothic that switches you to 3rd person when you are in combat.
Thanks. As I think the game is discounted now, a "mostly first person" option is good enough for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: