http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:34:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a new DS title!  (Read 2166 times)
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2006, 03:11:23 AM »

I definitely need a new one.  Right now my library consists of..

SM 64 DS
Kirby
Nintendogs
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Lunar: Dragon Song

I need something long and lasting, but I don't care what kind (not to big on random puzzle games.)  Give me some ideas please!

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:14:08 AM »

...Ouendan...

I KNOW I KNOW, you hear it a lot from GT.  But it really is a fun rhythm game.

You could always trade for my Metroid . . .?  Ho ho ho!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 03:19:55 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
...Ouendan...

I KNOW I KNOW, you hear it a lot from GT.  But it really is a fun rhythm game.

You could always trade for my Metroid . . .?  Ho ho ho!

I wouldn't mind playing Quendan..but I feel the lack of english will upset me.  I mean i'm sure the story of cheerleaders isn't to hard to follow in pictures, but I'm also lazy about ordering it.  

As for Metroid..once again, if worse comes to worse I might pick it up.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 03:33:47 AM »

Metroid has been an enjoyable experience for me so far.  However, I would say get Tetris!  20 years later and its still the most fun you'll have while taking a shit.  They also added in a bunch of new modes including a puzzle mode that is actually pretty challenging.  If you like puzzle games, definitely get Tetris!

Queequeg
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 04:15:00 AM »

I'd suggest one of these:

Metroid Prime: Hunters - Just finished the single player campaign. Excellent game and the wi-fi multiplayer is loads of fun.

Mario & Luigi Partners in Time

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

If you like strategy you can't go wrong with Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I also liked Age of Empires and Prince of Persia Battles was surprisingly good.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 04:21:33 AM »

I love Tetris but I'm a little hesitant to reccomend it to anybody but the hardcore puzzle fan.  The Nintendo stuff is a nice touch, but the naysayers might have been onto something when they bemoaned it as "just another Tetris."  Some of the stuff bothers me, like SIX preview pieces, the infinite floor spin, and the INSANE speed those bricks take on after level 8.

I still love it, but the regular Tetris seems almost broken compared to the other versions I've played.  I've had a great time with the puzzles and especially mission mode, but push mode, touch mode, and catch mode don't really do it for me.  I consider myself somewhat of a Tetris connoisseur so maybe I am harder to please.

Damn, that turned into quite the Tetris rant!  Like I said, I love it, but don't go into expecting anything more than a dressed up Tetris (and an average one, imho, at that).

I think Bust-A-Move DS is probably the most addictive DS game I've played since Castlevania: DoS.  I also enjoyed Puyo Pop Fever.  Both can be had cheap, but are an aquired taste (particularly PPF) to say the least.  ...And I just noticed you don't like puzzlers!  Oops.

Maybe Castlevania: DoS if you are into the old 2D side-scroller Metroidvania thing.  Otherwise you might check out Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 05:34:26 AM »

Advance Wars DS is another good title.  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 05:35:20 AM »

Beyond what you mentioned, I really like advance wars: ds so far, great turn based strategy stuff.  Depends on if you like that kind of game.  And Warioware: touched is pretty fun for a short bit, but very short if you don't go for max completion(under 2 or 3 hours short...) but I still found it interesting and fun for a little distraction.

I *would* recommend Age of Empires 2 for it, really fun turn based strategy version of it, but the game crashes fairly regularly and sometimes the game can actual brick(make totall unplayable) itself...not a feature I want in any game, let alone a console...

Don't forget the huge library of gameboy advance games that it can play, if you haven't already played them.  Mario games, castlevania games, final fantasy tactics, tactics ogre, metroids, mario and luigi, zelda: minish cap, wariowares, and the golden suns(off the top of my head)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 06:37:45 AM »

"20 years later and its still the most fun you'll have while taking a shit."
Have you ever considered a career in advertising?  They really should put that on the back of the box  biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 06:45:09 AM »

For old-school RPG fans, Wizardry Asterisk on DS is worth checking out.

http://www.s-f.co.jp/soft/ds/wizardry/index.htm

It's better than Wizardry Summoner for GBA (also ported to PS2 last year).

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/software/awzj/index.html

Plus it's much better than the recently released Wizardry Xth 2

http://www.michaelsoft.jp/wiz2/03system/

Of course, if you never liked Wizardry during Apple/PC days, then Wizardry Asterisk isn't going to do much for you.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 06:50:21 AM »

I've been enjoying both Tetris and Sonic Rush lately - both excellent games!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 10:47:46 AM »

Quote from: "Galadriels"

From the website it looks like it's a Japanese release.  Is there a US version out or coming out?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 11:09:54 AM »

I thin Mario and Luigi 2 would be your best bet- fantastic game and fairly long too.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 01:10:44 PM »

I actually wouldn't mind tetris even though its a puzzle game, but I think the first post about it sums it up.  I wouldn't really take time to play it, but when I was bored I would.

I'm sort of interested in Age of Empires, but I haven't heard to many talk about it..anyone want to give a short review?  

The others that strike my interest are Sonic Rush (but once again seems like it would be short) and Advance Wars (which ive never played the series before).  

So I guess I will pick from Mario and Luigi, Age of Empires, Advance Wars, or possibly Sonic Rush.  If you guys can give me a little more of a review on them.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
I definitely need a new one.  Right now my library consists of..

SM 64 DS
Kirby
Nintendogs
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Lunar: Dragon Song

I need something long and lasting, but I don't care what kind (not to big on random puzzle games.)  Give me some ideas please!

I really like meteos, but that's more or less a puzzle/zrcade type game so maybe not the best choice for you.

I've played through most of the tutorial for Age of Empires and like it a lot so far. I enjoy turn based strategy. I've been looking for a used copy of Advance Wars, but no luck yet.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 08:12:11 PM »

Mario and Luigi 2 was really fun.  Took me 19 hours to beat it too, so it's a fairly long'ish game.

It never got burdensome for me - battles were fun, story was interesting (though, come on, it's a Mario game, so the story really isn't the selling point), the dialogue was funny.  The "babies" aspect, I thought, was pretty well done.

Can't say anything else for your other choices.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 08:33:07 PM »

I'm sort of interested in Age of Empires, but I haven't heard to many talk about it..anyone want to give a short review?

I'd be willing to trade it to you!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 08:55:37 PM »

Fun title with decent tactical depth, suffering from some graphical issues.  I really like it, and it is Turn Based Gold.....but it lacks that little something to keep me playing it.  I think the lack of internet play hurts it, and there is no single card play.  Thankfully you can play it hotseat, so I don't have to browbeat friends into buying the cart.  

It's good..but the time needed to get through a battle and the trouble of picking out individual units when they're grouped together makes me hesitate before dropping it into my DS.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 12:32:19 AM »

I am currently enjoying

Viewtiful Joe Doubel Trouble

Sonic Rush

Ultimate Spiderman

I used the current buy 2 used get one free at Gamestop and each one was 24.99, so I maximized my purchase. All are worthy titles.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 01:35:30 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Galadriels"

From the website it looks like it's a Japanese release.  Is there a US version out or coming out?

To be honest with you, since the demise of Sir-Tech years ago, I doubt that we will ever see another Wizardry release in North America.  For some reason though, they still make 2~3 Wizardry games per year in Japan.  

In addition to the PS2 release of Wizardry Xth 2 last week, and Wizardry Asterisk for DS 2 months ago, there is also a Wizardry Five Ordeals for PC coming in 2 months.  http://wiz-pb.jp/fo/index.html

Fortunately for Wizardry Asterisk, there are options to display monster and item names in English.  However, those not fluent in Japanese are going to miss out on the story and general "ambience" of dungeons (because they will occasionally display some "flavor" text a la Wizardry 7 or old Bard's Tale).   However I am not sure if anyone playing Wizardry would really care about the story.   :wink:

Lastly, like all Wizardry titles, it's rather hard to find unless you order it online.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 03:23:47 AM »

someone throw out a comparison of Advance Wars with Age of Empires..  

Maybe give me a comparison to some other strategy games (i've played fft, ffta, fire emblem, and nippon ichi tittles to name a few)

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 03:38:19 AM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"
someone through out a comparison of Advance Wars with Age of Empires..  

Maybe give me a comparison to some other strategy games (i've played fft, ffta, fire emblem, and nippon ichi tittles to name a few)

Hmm, both games feel very different but I guess if I started writing it out on paper they really end up sounding the same.  Age of Empires is pretty much what it sounds - a turn based version of the PC game.  Lots of tech trees, veteran units, heros, economy, ages - it's all here in turn based fashion.  The presentation and production values are extremely top notch.  My only complaints so far is the fact that each map takes an *extremely* long time to play (at least for me since my tactics generally suck), and what seems like a very low unit cap.  It's also very hard for me to tell what the exact outcome of a battle will be - sometimes the matchup screen makes it look like I should be able to wipe someone out and I barely touch them, and other times the opposite.  Still, these are my only minor complaints in what is otherwise a great strategy game - one that I've enjoyed more than Advance Wars DS up to this point (although I still prefer FFTA)

As far as the gameplay mechanics, it's very similar to Advance Wars.  Each unit can move X squares depending on the unit and the terrain.  Combat works the same way.  The standard rock/paper/scissors balance is still there.  Some differences are the economy (which must be maintained/grown in addition to your army, although I tend to hit the unit number cap way before I run out of resources), heros  (i.e. one uber unit that has a ton of different spells they can cast that greatly overpower anything else on the battlefield), and the technology trees that can be researched once per turn.  Campaign mode objectives vary quite a bit, and there are a lot of secondary objectives on each map - some very hard - whose completion gives you points that you can later spend to unlock unique units available in any game mode.

I haven't tried multiplayer so I have no idea how fun it is....  Any other specific questions about it I can answer?

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 03:11:23 PM »

haha that was great, thanks for the detailed comparison.  One other question I have about them is what are the stories like.  Do they lack story and the main focus is on the gameplay? One thing that I hate about srpg's is when each and every battle is to clear the field.  I like ones that have a specific objective each mission.  Which one do you feel is more like that?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 03:35:22 PM »

if you can hold off a couple weeks, this looks very interesting:

lost magic

from 1up: "Studio Ghibli fans should know Yoshiharu Sato of My Totoro Neighbor worked as art director on Lost Magic, which has players using the touch screen to manipulate three different symbol spells that can combine to form over 350 combinations. There's also a bit of a Pokemon influence allowing players to collect and fight with various monsters." (i think that's "my neighbor totoro", but whatever...)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »

Actually that is one area where AoE excels - each mission of the campaign mode is rooted in historical events, and they set up the story both in the premission briefing as well as through events during the missions themselves.

The mission objectives seem to vary quite a bit so far - not just the generic 'clear the map'.  In addition, every map has secondary objectives you can complete as well for a bonus - control all resources on the map, find certain hidden treasures, win by turn X, kill some special person, etc.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 04:32:54 PM »

I like the Tony Hawk game. Its reminds me of a mix of THPS2 & 4 on a DS w/ cellshading. It controls well too. I haven't played a lot of it yet due to mainly PC gaming but I do like the game though it may be too easy if your real good at the TH games (I'm not smile )

The new Super Mario Bros game is also coming out next month (May 21?)I believe.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2006, 08:11:58 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
if you can hold off a couple weeks, this looks very interesting:

lost magic

from 1up: "Studio Ghibli fans should know Yoshiharu Sato of My Totoro Neighbor worked as art director on Lost Magic, which has players using the touch screen to manipulate three different symbol spells that can combine to form over 350 combinations. There's also a bit of a Pokemon influence allowing players to collect and fight with various monsters." (i think that's "my neighbor totoro", but whatever...)

That's friggen' awesome, seeing as how I <3 Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki films.

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 02:36:18 AM »

I think i'm going to pick up Age of Empires..but I feel like they need to make a game like that for wifi..that would sell me in a heartbeat.

as for Lost Magic..that looks very interesting.  I wouldn't mind reading some reviews for that when it comes out.  Sadly..I am also excited for the new Pokemon (I know, I know) but I bet it will be fun on the DS, also the new Zelda for the DS.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 02:54:46 AM »

weleavefossils remind me when it gets closer to coming out because im pretty sure ill be picking up lost magic on the first day.  

and age of empires is a very good game, the resource and research bits are a lot of fun but there is a weird "something" about it that kept me from really loving the game.  i dont know what it was, it just lacked that special greatness that you really cant explain or define. if youre like me youll have fun, but youll put it down and not really look back
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 04:40:25 AM »

I think we need a devoted DS ongoing thread.  Help keep us reminded of its goodness.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 12:09:48 PM »

so I picked up Age of Empires last thursday and I have 2 more missions to go on the Joan of Arc Tutorial..man do these missions take forever.  

Without ever playing a Age of Empires game before (or any others like it) I'm not used to this sort of strategy game.  I guess it just takes some getting used to, but I feel like i'm the worst at it.  The last mission needed to be completed by day 30 to get a bonus..I think i finished around 50 days.  

but also..this reminds me of how much I want a FF Tactics for the DS..but they better make a better story then the FFTA.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 12:54:59 PM »

I'm planning to pick up Magnetica, which is a Puzzloop remake (from what I understand Zuma is largely a clone of this). You get to use the stylus to flick the colored balls where you want them to go. Sounds good to me. I'm hoping it has strong production values.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: