http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 07:01:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I might not be a Consoler...  (Read 2233 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:14:21 AM »

I recently got the X-Box 360. My first console system. (other than watching the kids play theirs)

I hate to admit this but after a couple of weeks I barely use it. I have Gears of War, GRAW-2, CoD-3...rented, Tiger 07, NFS-carbon...I can see the graphical quality in these games no-doubt, but I don't understand why they're not grabbing me like PC games do..

I have money burning a hole in my pocket and when I have spare time I wander the isles of EB and Future shop, and yes sometimes Wal-Mart looking for a X-box game to buy....There is just nothing that I see that would give me hours of fun that I feel 60 plus bucks should get.

Maybe I'm just an old dog that struggles being taught new tricks. If the 360 had a MMORPG title that had a vibrant community I probably wouldn't be so down on it...Well, its not that I'm down on it, just that I'm a little sad I'm not feeling the love like some of the others do with this latest gen-console.

I'm worried that I've now got a dust-collecting brick attatched to my TV...
Hind sight being 20\20 I think personally I would have been better served sinking the dough into my computer making it more suitable for newer titles......
Live and learn I guess.............expensive lesson. icon_eek

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »

Don't feel too bad.  I just got my 360 this week and I'm already discovering that there's not many games currently out that I want to play.  About the only game that interests me so far is Enchanted Arms, and I've tried quite a few.  Bought the system with Gears of War, Ghost Recon, and Tony Hawk 8, then purchased Enchanted Arms, Table Tennis and rented NHL2K7 and Madden 07.   Out of all those, EA is probably the only one I'll keep.  I might enjoy GoW if I was better at console shooters, but when you can barely make it past the first level on Easy mode, that's a pretty good indicator the game isn't for you.  I was really hoping that at least one of the others would grab me, but none of them have.

That being said, I knew this would be the case right now and purchased the system more on potential.  With games like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, etc., there should be plenty of stuff for me to play in the next year.  it might gather dust for a while, but I'm sure there will be enough to keep me busy later.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 29, 2007, 11:14:21 AM

I recently got the X-Box 360. My first console system. (other than watching the kids play theirs)

I hate to admit this but after a couple of weeks I barely use it. I have Gears of War, GRAW-2, CoD-3...rented, Tiger 07, NFS-carbon...I can see the graphical quality in these games no-doubt, but I don't understand why they're not grabbing me like PC games do..

I have money burning a hole in my pocket and when I have spare time I wander the isles of EB and Future shop, and yes sometimes Wal-Mart looking for a X-box game to buy....There is just nothing that I see that would give me hours of fun that I feel 60 plus bucks should get.

Maybe I'm just an old dog that struggles being taught new tricks. If the 360 had a MMORPG title that had a vibrant community I probably wouldn't be so down on it...Well, its not that I'm down on it, just that I'm a little sad I'm not feeling the love like some of the others do with this latest gen-console.

I'm worried that I've now got a dust-collecting brick attatched to my TV...
Hind sight being 20\20 I think personally I would have been better served sinking the dough into my computer making it more suitable for newer titles......
Live and learn I guess.............expensive lesson. icon_eek

Could you not just return it and have the lesson be inexpensive yet equally poignant and dramatic?

And can you put that money into a PC upgrade? Its what I just did (or am about to do).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:39:12 PM by Calvin » Logged
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 12:25:27 PM »

Maybe you just need to give it a little time.  You seem to play a lot of shooters.  It took me a while to get used to playing a shooter on a controller rather than a mouse and keyboard.  I still won't say I prefer it, but it's become more second nature to me.

The 360 also has an excellent multiplayer component.  Add a bunch of us to your friends list.  You can find at least a few of us on at pretty much any given time, and there are frequent multiplayer nights.  I don't know if you used up the free 30 days of XBL Gold membership that came with the system.  I hate paying for multiplayer, but I have to begrudgingly admit that it's worth the price.

Also, try some of the other games that have been recommended around here and you won't find on the PC.  Particularly, you should check out Dead Rising.  If you can get past the save system, it's a tremendously fun game.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »

Maybe you should sell me GRAW 2 cheap?

And you should try Gears of War MP with us. That will change everything.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:37:10 PM »

There is no shame in it.

You seem to like more in depth games, which the PC provides.

I used to be a PC fanatic. But my lifestyle (2 kids, big house, crazy job) doesnt allow for 4 hour gaming sessions. So to sit down for 15 minutes to play Need for speed, or Worms.. is PERFECT and allows me to play.

I also find I enjoy the large screen 5.1 monster sound and a Fat comfy couch to hunched over a mouse keyboard.... lately.

I cant even remember the last PC game I bought... My Pc is also aging, so I wouldnt want to play something sluggish....

Its personal.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 29, 2007, 12:31:16 PM

Once he hears you complain the entire game he may never play Live games again. That will certainly change his outlook on Live!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:44:46 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 29, 2007, 12:38:32 PM

Once he hears you complain the entire game he may never play Live games again. That will certainly change his outlook on Live!

Funny, I never complain much when playing with you, but I guess that's because I've turned you into gibs 90% of the time.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »

Girls, girls.  You're both pretty.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 12:46:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 29, 2007, 12:44:46 PM

Quote from: Calvin on March 29, 2007, 12:38:32 PM

Funny, I never complain much when playing with you, but I guess that's because I've turned you into gibs 90% of the time.

Come ON GUYS, work as a TEAM Golly gosh, I never heard that before...

Sorry Arclight, derail ended.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 12:52:44 PM »

For your first console I probably would have recommended a PS2.  Yeah, the graphical fidelity isn't there, but the library of great games is so enormous that you would have had a lot more to choose from in a lot of different genres.  And the console and most of the software is so cheap that there would be less chance of buyer's remorse. 
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »

I think I identify with Gratch, almost totally...... paranoid

I too like the look of Mass Effect and Assasin's creed........I'm really not a FPS lover its just that those games were the ones I heard the most about and being a hype-sucker I followed along.

I just don't have the reflexes or something to be anywhere good at FPS.......so please, don't make me loose face by playing a FPS multiplayer.. tear

I'll choose to believe, for the moment, that the 360 will age nicely like a fine wine.

Don't you guys think that this console system would be a great platform for a full blown MMORPG?

Thanks for the input.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 02:21:21 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 29, 2007, 01:53:40 PM

Don't you guys think that this console system would be a great platform for a full blown MMORPG?

Square did too.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 02:23:31 PM »

I just don't have the reflexes or something to be anywhere good at FPS.......so please, don't make me loose face by playing a FPS multiplayer.. tear

Meh, you have to get over that.  It's fun regardless of how good you are, and you will be surprised how fast you get better when you play with and against other humans.  And generally, there will probably be someone worse than you.  According to ATB, that person will be me.

Gamertag = IkeV
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 02:26:14 PM »

You know that Gears of War has online coop right?

I would also suggest you at least rent Halo and Halo2 (if you hadn't played them on PC)... those two games helped define the FPS controls on consoles, and IMHO they are some of the best. Once again, go co-op.

If you're playing with yourself no good can come of it. icon_eek

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 02:29:48 PM »

Arclight-

It's all just kidding. Calvin and I and Ike get along great in games. It's just some friendly baiting that definitely doesn't carry over to guys who are new.  We all were new once.

It'd be a grand time to have you join us and we would pull you closer to us with one hand (explain the game mechanics, where stuff is on the maps, how to do stuff) and push you away with the other (blow you to bits).

Don't let worries about your skills being lacking deter you from trying MP (it hasn't detered Calvin <zing!>).  I've started a thread or two about how it has totally changed me from an SPer to an MPer and it might do the same for you.  So at least give it a shot.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 02:32:34 PM »

ATB likes group encounters. He's fallen from the grace of only playing with himself.

Too much, twice in the same thread? I hope not. frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 02:34:06 PM »

I think I identify with Gratch, almost totally...... paranoid

I too like the look of Mass Effect and Assasin's creed........I'm really not a FPS lover its just that those games were the ones I heard the most about and being a hype-sucker I followed along.

I'll choose to believe, for the moment, that the 360 will age nicely like a fine wine.

Thanks for the input.

Looks like me and you need to start our own MP game.  Let the Battle of the FPS Handicapped commence!!  slywink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 02:34:22 PM »

Um. I was never new. I was always level 2 or higher  icon_wink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »

Remember guys, in GoW it's all about taking cover.
and if you can get your reload to hit the sweet spot, your weapon damage is increased for those rounds.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 02:36:46 PM »

not into consoles????

UNCLEAN!!! UNCLEAN!!! BURN THE WITCH!!!!!!

er...

well, each to their own.  The first X-Box I got sat untouched and ended up being traded in, and a couple of years later I picked up another.  Granted, the PC (and Billy Dee Williams) still rules me, but I've become comfortable with my console adultery.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 02:41:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 29, 2007, 02:35:57 PM

That's the biggest problem I'm having with GoW.  The few FPS games I've enjoyed have been all about run & gun, while GoW seems much more tactical.  Having to constantly duck behind cover is a foreign concept I'm having some trouble wrapping my brain around.

I'm a pretty decent FPS player with keyboard & mouse, but for some reason have never been able to get a handle on console FPS controls.  I feel like I'm trying to control my guy with an Etch-A-Sketch.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 02:45:42 PM »

lol gratch...

You know what? I'll let you in on a little secret. GoW takes some getting used to anyways. I suck at it for 10 minutes before getting back into the swing of it. I play a lot of GRAW2/RS:V and you'll often hear me ask for button reminders when we first start up GoW mp... although to be fair I've not been on the mp all that much.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 03:02:13 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 29, 2007, 02:41:59 PM

That's the biggest problem I'm having with GoW.  The few FPS games I've enjoyed have been all about run & gun, while GoW seems much more tactical.  Having to constantly duck behind cover is a foreign concept I'm having some trouble wrapping my brain around.

I'm a pretty decent FPS player with keyboard & mouse, but for some reason have never been able to get a handle on console FPS controls.  I feel like I'm trying to control my guy with an Etch-A-Sketch.

Then never play R6:V. In GoW you at least have a chance of surviving gunblasts to the face and chest. In RS:V you are D double E to teh A back upta da D.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 03:03:55 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 29, 2007, 03:02:13 PM

Then never play R6:V. In GoW you at least have a chance of surviving gunblasts to the face and chest. In RS:V you are D double E to teh A back upta da D.

So..."deead"?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »

Yeah, can't see myself enjoying that one much.  I tried both GRAW and whatever the latest Splinter Cell game is, and completely lost interest within about 15 minutes.  Part of it is that I simply don't like the military setting, part of it is that I simply don't have the patience for that sort of thing.

Mind you, I'm not opposed to a more stealth-oriented game.  Hell, I loved both the Thief & Tenchu series.  I guess if I'm a ninja or medieval thief, it's just far more appealing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 03:11:10 PM by Gratch » Logged

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 03:14:50 PM »

I have the opposite problem with my 360 - with my limited gaming time I have too many games to play and not enough time to play them.

Last night I had about 90 minutes and was staring at -
Crackdown - finish off some gang dudes and grab some agility orbs
College Hoops 2K7 - just starting a new season with some recruits
Dead Rising - working my way to the parking garage for some zombie-driving
Rainbow 6: Vegas - do some tango hunting
Oblivion - doing the final couple assasin quests to own that guild
Worms - been wanting to hook up with some GT/OO'ers. 
NBA2K7 - fantasy drafted an all-rookie team that I hope to build into a powerhouse
Enchanted Arms - just moving to a more interesting part of the story; love the combat
Gears of War - need to finish off the rest of the SP.
When my daughter's in the mood, we're playing some co-op Lego Star Wars II together or Viva Pinata.

To each his own, I guess... but there's a ton of variety right now on the 360 and a pile of what I think are great games.  I just need more time to play them all.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 03:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 29, 2007, 03:03:55 PM

So..."deead"?

oh SNAP!  you go girlfriend!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 03:22:29 PM »

I'm committed to getting a 360 when the new ones come out, for the same reasons as Hankraptor. I share many of the concerns of Gratch and Arc though. I'm pretty sure WoW has destroyed gaming for me altogether, but i dont want to give up yet. I just don't get the same sense of highs and lows from gaming that i do from WoW. I tried Oblivion, but got so bored with the 'static' world compared to an MMO. Like i said, i'm committed to reforming, but i think i may need professional help!! biggrin
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 03:23:54 PM »

If you prefer RPGs and do not like shooters or sports games then the 360 is probably not a great investment at this point.  Personally I agree with Jament.  I have too many games and not enough time to play them.  Then again I love shooters.  icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »

I really wish there were more in-depth strategy games on the newer consoles.  Of course, the handhelds have some, too.  However, I would love to see a SimCity or Civ IV or C&C 3 or Anno 1701 make the transition to the XBOX 360. 

xbox live: nude rick james
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »

Quote from: Clay on March 29, 2007, 03:34:01 PM

I really wish there were more in-depth strategy games on the newer consoles.  Of course, the handhelds have some, too.  However, I would love to see a SimCity or Civ IV or C&C 3 or Anno 1701 make the transition to the XBOX 360. 

I believe C&C 3 is on the way.  Also BFME2 is availailable if you like RTS's on consoles.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 29, 2007, 03:36:21 PM

I believe C&C 3 is on the way.  Also BFME2 is availailable if you like RTS's on consoles.

Be fearful of the controls though. Fearful!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 03:42:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 29, 2007, 03:38:23 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on March 29, 2007, 03:36:21 PM

Be fearful of the controls though. Fearful!

I think I am the only person on earth who actually liked the controls for BFME2.   paranoid

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 29, 2007, 03:23:54 PM

If you prefer RPGs and do not like shooters or sports games then the 360 is probably not a great investment at this point.  Personally I agree with Jament.  I have too many games and not enough time to play them.  Then again I love shooters.  icon_biggrin

Actually, there are quite a few RPG's coming for the 360.  I think the PS3 will be the RPG console of choice in the long run, but there are quite a few coming for 360 that have potential to be very good.   I picked one up now for that very reason, since I'm mainly an RPG gamer.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 04:11:35 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 29, 2007, 11:14:21 AM

thats funny actually because i kinda feel the same way about games on the PC,i can see that if you have a decent enough graphics card that the graphics are great,but i just cant play them like i can console games...i started final fantasy 11 some years back on the PC,but it wasnt until i got it on the 360 that i really got into it....i went through the COD 1 phrase....but couldnt last more than 30 minutes playing(whereas i can play COD3 all day)...maybe its that fact that i am sat at a desk playing on the PC instead of my couch icon_frown

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 07:53:46 PM »

I would recommend trying out some games that are more unique to consoles like Crackdown and Dead Rising.  I love my 360 and it's my preferred platform, but it seems you might be playing games that have very similar counterparts on your PC.  Although Gears is a great game if you can get used to the cover mechanics.  And try to get in some MP with the gang and you'll understand why it's such a big deal.  Also, there is a lot of good stuff on Live Arcade right now and they've at least had a steady, if not alway spectacular, flow of releases lately.  Try out Assault Heroes, Heavy Weapon, Worms, Cloning Clyde, Geometry Wars, etc.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 02:08:36 AM »

The rest of the thread bedamned, I am not so much not a console gamer, but I realized that I don't quite fit into the 360's target. I am, however, holding onto the system to play Blue Dragon, Bioshock, Assasin, Too Human, and maybe Mass Effect. Otherwise I see the games on Wii being more to my taste, and even the PS3 looks to have a little more of what I want, or at least going in the directions I want with things like Little Big Planet and Uncharted coming out. For the most part there is too much 3rd party dreck throughout the year in general and I would love it if the publishers would actually, you know, make better games all around... Just me though.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 02:23:22 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 29, 2007, 03:07:33 PM

Mind you, I'm not opposed to a more stealth-oriented game.  Hell, I loved both the Thief & Tenchu series.  I guess if I'm a ninja or medieval thief, it's just far more appealing.

Well Tenchu Z will be hitting the 360 in the US mid-June, so stay hardy!  The series does have it's faults, but for some reason I really like playing them. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2007, 09:52:14 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on March 30, 2007, 02:08:36 AM

The rest of the thread bedamned, I am not so much not a console gamer, but I realized that I don't quite fit into the 360's target. I am, however, holding onto the system to play Blue Dragon, Bioshock, Assasin, Too Human, and maybe Mass Effect. Otherwise I see the games on Wii being more to my taste, and even the PS3 looks to have a little more of what I want, or at least going in the directions I want with things like Little Big Planet and Uncharted coming out. For the most part there is too much 3rd party dreck throughout the year in general and I would love it if the publishers would actually, you know, make better games all around... Just me though.

'and maybe mass effect'??...what do you mean maybe?....this is top of my list,it looks awesome...and all the other 360 titles you mentioned are there for me, on my list as well.....i mean,theres 5 games right there,are you sure you dont fit in the 360's target?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: