http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:33:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I loved Morrowind, any other suggestions?  (Read 4085 times)
lokiju
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2004, 09:33:03 PM »

I am looking to get into a single player fantasy RPG.  I liked Morrowind, but haven't played anything similar besides MMORPG's...which I would like to avoid due to time constraints (WoW looks amazing though, just don't want to jump onto the carroted treadmill again).  So far I am looking at Thief 3, but I also want something more classic AD&D feeling.  How was Gothic 2?  Might and Magic series?

I am playing Neverwinter games atm, but although it's hard to explain, I don't get that "explorative", real world feeling.  It's not even that it's a 3rd person RPG, but something else I can't quite figure out.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Incendiary Lemon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 10:15:45 PM »

Quote from: "lokiju"
"explorative", real world feeling.

Gothic does that better than Morrowind, the gameworld is far smaller but its labored over with things to find and creatures to flee from. Dungeon Lords is a maybe, its scheduled for 1Q 2005 but there really hasn't been a lot of press for it.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 10:36:53 PM »

Gothic 2 is excellent.  Great scenery, decent combat, and it has more of a living world than MW.  
Alternatively, check out the countless MW mods on the net.  Some of them make playing it feel like a whole new game.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 10:37:03 PM »

Morrowind was the apex of an explorative world to me.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 12:17:15 AM »

Thanks for the input.  I might pick up Gothic 2 soon.

Still open to other suggestions of course...

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:56:57 PM »

Pirates of the Caribbean (Sea Dogs II) was made by the same folks - not fantasy, but at least you have an idea about what you're in for.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 02:00:12 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I might pick up Gothic 2 soon.

Still open to other suggestions of course...

One thing about Gothic and Gothic 2. It would be a great game, if the control system was even halfway decent. It has HORRIBLE controls. I have no idea what they were thinking making that horrible control system.

Gothic is a good game, but be prepared for a monumental struggle with the control system. If you can get past the first few frustrating hours though, you will find a good game lurking below.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 02:00:40 PM »

Pirates of the Caribbean was most definitely not made by the same people that did Morrowind. It was done by a russian team called Akella as far as I can remember.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 02:05:30 PM »

One thing about Gothic and Gothic 2. It would be a great game, if the control system was even halfway decent. It has HORRIBLE controls. I have no idea what they were thinking making that horrible control system.

Gothic is a good game, but be prepared for a monumental struggle with the control system. If you can get past the first few frustrating hours though, you will find a good game lurking below.

Honestly, I think people tend to exaggerate to an EXTREME degree when talking about the Gothic control system.

Yes, it's untraditional and at first will seem pretty awkward. However, after a little while it will feel almost natural. Of course, it depends on how quickly you adapt and all, but I doubt most open-minded people will have too much difficulty.

I can't say that it was a wise decision to make such a control system, but in the end you'll be missing out on a brilliant game if you let it stop you.

Coincidentally, PotC had a control system so poor that had it been the best game ever, it still wouldn't be worth it. No, I'm not exaggerating smile

Luckily, it was possible to rectify most of it by doing some editing of config files, but still.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 02:07:42 PM »

The Gothics were great...also try ArxFatalis.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 02:20:46 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

I always wondered what the developers were thinking.  I sometimes think they must simply - think in a fundementally different way than I do.  The control scheme made so little sense in a world of mice.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 02:56:21 PM »

The control system in Gothic wasn't bad at all, IMO. The real problem is that there were important keys that were undocumented (like ctrl). Once I figured that out, it was fine. This was a game where (to me) the combat required a bit of skill, yet I wasn't overwhelmed by it and thought I improved as the game went on).

I'd go w/ Gothic 2, which has a much larger area to explore than Gothic. I couldn't really get into it for that reason, but since you liked Morrowind I think you probably would.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 03:15:03 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"

I thought Arx was a top down 3rd person like Neverwinter?  For some reason, RPGs like NWN, Baldur's Gate, and the like feel completely different than Morrowind and similar first person perspective games.  I like both, but have a particular craving atm.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 03:22:23 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"

I thought Arx was a top down 3rd person like Neverwinter?

Nope.  Arx is actually quite a bit like Morrowind: first-person perspective, big world to explore, pretty non-linear.  My only problem with Arx, and the reason I didn't finish, is the underground-only setting got tiring for me after awhile.

Otherwise it's a great game.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 05:26:37 PM »

Hmmm, Arx has an 80% average on Game Ranks.  Maybe I will check that out as well.  

How about the might and magic series?  I haven't played one since Sega Genesis I believe.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 05:33:17 PM »

Hmmm, Arx has an 80% average on Game Ranks.  Maybe I will check that out as well.

There's a demo for Arx which you might want to download.  It'll give you a pretty good idea of the rest of the game.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 05:38:28 PM »

Thanks Big W

EDIT:  Um, er, I meant little w

Gorath
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 09:29:55 PM »

Arx Fatalis was meant to be a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld. I think it´s common understanding that it was quite successful at that.
Arx 2 is in development, it uses Valve´s Source engine.

Gothic 2 is definitely a game you should play. It has simple game mechanics, but it gives you a lot of freedom for a story driven game. I tend to agree with all the print mags here in Germany which see MW, G2 and KotOR one level ahead of the legions of "good" SP RPGs.
The controls aren´t half as bad as some people make them. They´re closer to a FPS than to other RPGs. They´re quite effective, though. Compared to KotOR´s for example they´re lightning fast.

Might & Magic is outdated nowadays, IMHO. I didn´t like 6 & 7. The series went downhill after part 5. Just my opinion, of course.

Now playing:
The Moment of Silence
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 10:22:09 PM »

Quote from: "Driver"
Pirates of the Caribbean (Sea Dogs II) was made by the same folks - not fantasy, but at least you have an idea about what you're in for.
No, please don't associate that game with us smile  That's Akella's handiwork.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2004, 02:18:43 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Quote from: "Driver"
No, please don't associate that game with us smile  That's Akella's handiwork.
Well... You DID publish it. Its not like the association is out in left field.  Tongue

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2004, 03:29:11 AM »

My bad.  I like Morrowwind and was thinking of picking up Pirates of the Caribbean for kicks.
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 05:12:52 PM »

Strange how Gothic comes up in relation to Morrowind.  I loved the Gothics and thought Morrowind was mediocre at best.  I tried it when my dad first got it and 10 hours into the game and still level 3 with no main quest in sight I got bored real fast.  A few months back I decided to give it another go.  A month ago when I stopped again I probably got at least halfway through, but then the game just slowly lost appeal.  I think Morrowind was TOO free form.  And the world seemed rather uninteresting.  Maybe I'll get around to finishing it someday.  I had such high hopes for it too.  I guess my point is I think the Gothics are great and you should play them, but you might not like them because I did and didn't like Morrowind.

Who reads these anyway?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 05:28:59 PM »

I think the Gothic games are good comparisons to Morrowind since they also kind of specialize in exploring a large world from a first/3rd person point of view.  

I far prefer Gothic 2 to Morrowind however.  Gothic 2's world isn't nearly as big as Morrowind (though still quite large in and of itself) but it has a much more personal feel during the interactions with the NPCs, almost none of whom are the carboard cutout, encyclopedia types so heavily prevalent in Morrowind.  The interface does take some getting used to but I can't say it ever bothered me and I appreciated it after a short time with the game.

G2 is far superior to G1 IMO.  Gothic 1 starts off great but once you "choose" your camp (approx 1/3 of the way through the game) the game becomes very linear although still fun.  Gothic 2 really makes good on the promise shown at the beginning of the first game and stays interesting and dynamic throughout.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2004, 06:21:26 PM »

I'll chime in with another vote for the Gothic games and Arx Fatalis.  Although I loved Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis didn't quite capture the same magic and I got bogged down after a while.  

Gothic was much more fun to explore  and the control scheme isn't that bad.  You get used to it.  It was no tougher to get used to the Gothic scheme than it was to go from Doom to the WASD+mouse scheme.

No recommendations for Wizardry VIII yet?  I haven't played it myself yet, though I hear that it's extremely combat-heavy.

Don't let them talk you out of the later Might & Magic games.  If you can find VI and/or VII, give them a try.  They were really fun games.  

Also if you like exploration and don't mind a 3rd-person view, check out Ultima  IX.  It may not have been a great Ultima game, but it was a good game on its own.  There were lots of cool things to discover.

Since you like Morrowind, you might consider Daggerfall (larger world but blander) or Arena (free download, so what do you have to lose?).
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2004, 12:24:44 AM »

Thanks for the ideas all.  I actually tried Wizardry 8 when it came out but couldn't get into it.  I loved the older versions, but for some reason I gave up on VIII after a week or so.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2004, 12:54:58 AM »

I'm no hue Morrowind fan, but I'll echo the voices in this thread:

-Arx Fatalis is fantastic, but it has the nasty habit of running like crap unexpectedly.  Plus it's a little too easy to do things out of the sequence you were supposed to do them in, and thus heartily confuse yourself (but you won't break the game... I don't think.)  Though it takes place totally underground, it VERY much rewards careful exploration.

-Gothic and Gothic 2 are both great.  Wonky controls, yes, but great games.  G2 is cheap now... $10, I think?  Hell of alot of game there for that price.

-Might and Magic 6 is quite possibly one of my favorite RPGs of all time.  I love that game.  7 is good too, but it's a little less balanced.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2004, 09:15:17 PM »

Thanks Lord, I have now added some of the M&M games to my list!

Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2004, 03:32:44 AM »

If by any chance you haven't picked up the morrowind expansions, you'd do yourself a great disservice to miss them.  Bloodmoon in particular was awesome.

As for what everyone else has said... I dunno.  Nothing really comes close to Morrowind for what it aimed at.  The best you can do is some of the old *old* school CRPGs such as the old Ultimas.  Depending on how far you're willing to stretch to get that explorable world thing, X2, Freelancer and the immortal Privateer allow you to do that in a sci-fi setting...
D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2004, 04:46:44 AM »

Sadly all the games mentioned are just about it, for good First person RPG within the last 5 years.

I played Gothic 2 first and still had fun with 1 later on. Because 2 is more contemporary, I recommend playing that first. It won't ruin much if you do it that way because the very fact they did a 2 shows you the protagonist from gothic  1 survived . . . or did he???

Arx Fatalis is also a great game but it has no real game music. However,  it has some of the creepiest underground castle sound efffects you're ever going to hear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: