http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 04:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I loath incredibly tough final bosses  (Read 1037 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2005, 03:20:36 AM »

So I am playing Tactics Orge for the second time.  I am at the last fight and I  reminded again how much I loath games with final battles that are 10 times tougher than all the previous battles.

The final boss has twice the number of hit points, he is about impossible to damage, and he can create new minons as often as he wants.

The stupid thing is that I know how to beat him.  Just chip away and heal, chip away and heal, for hours.  Then I win - yippie.

This kind of battle is just stupid.  It is only tough because they make the boss stronger not becuase of strategy or anything.  It is just annoying.  

It also really annoying that the final boss is so much tougher than any other character.  Why not ramp up the difficulty?  Why just throw a hugely powerful boss into the end?

YUCK>>>>

Oh and I have Tactics Orge for trade....it is a great game!

:lol:

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 03:36:09 AM »

oh, are you ever right!  

and the only thing more annoying than that is when you have to negotiate your way to the boss, via a maze or series of stupid jumping moves, in order to go in there and face that freakin' boss.  to this day, i remember the evil queen in Willow (NES).  i'd go through this awful maze - bear in mind, i'm lost all the time in games - enter the room to go "bing, bing - dead!" (me, not her, of course).  it took me hours of maze work just to get a clue as to her weaknesses.  i finally gave up in sheer frustration.

and, no thanks on your *#&$@#* Tactics Ogre, too! :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:45:07 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I am at the last fight and I  reminded again how much I loath games with final battles that are 10 times tougher than all the previous battles.

okay, maybe not "10 times tougher", but, in both superstar saga (which i never did beat frown ) & paper mario 2, i thought the final bosses dealt waaay more damage than previous bosses - very nasty...

& then, on the other hand, there're final bosses, like the ones in ratchet & clank 2, & final fantasy x, where the battle's all over in 3 minutes & you're just kinda left scratching your head thinking "that's it?"...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 03:47:59 PM »

Clive Barker's Undying had a horribly hard end boss if I recall correctly.

So did MDK2.

Mike Tyson in MT's Punch Out was amongst the worst. Never did beat him...I got two knockdowns but could never get  the 3rd.

PS. (If anyone chimes in with Beyond Good and Evil they should be kicked in the eyeball!)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 04:13:45 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"

PS. (If anyone chimes in with Beyond Good and Evil they should be kicked in the eyeball!)

It wasn't that BG&E's boss was so tough so much as it was like playing a different game.  For 99% of the game you use your brains to get around combat, then suddenly are forced into a combat situation.  That is what I found annoying.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 04:41:40 PM »

It wasn't that BG&E's boss was so tough so much as it was like playing a different game.  For 99% of the game you use your brains to get around combat, then suddenly are forced into a combat situation.  That is what I found annoying.

Tough, because I'll mention it. Combat is fun in the game, but it's not the main focus, then out of left field you're thrown into a tough all-combat situation, then they invert the &*%&ing controls on you. Got mostly past him, then he'd hit me with cheap shots where I couldn't touch him. At that point I said screw it and haven't looked back.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 05:01:14 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

Tough, because I'll mention it. Combat is fun in the game, but it's not the main focus, then out of left field you're thrown into a tough all-combat situation, then they invert the &*%&ing controls on you. Got mostly past him, then he'd hit me with cheap shots where I couldn't touch him. At that point I said screw it and haven't looked back.

It wasn't that tough of a boss...really! it wasn't!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 08:48:34 PM »

Haha, Mike Tyson was probably the hardest end boss ever when compared to the difficulty level of the rest of the game.

But man, it felt so good once you did finally beat him...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: