http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 06:20:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I like Sudeki  (Read 1755 times)
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2004, 07:05:14 PM »

Finished Riddick, traded it and a couple others in for Sudeki & Dues Ex 2.

So far, I like Sudeki. I was going to get TOS, but to be honest, I am not sure I really want a 50+ hour game right now.

I have only been playing for a couple hours, but I like it so far. I don't expect it to be 'epic' like the FF games, I just want to have some fun. There are enough items and combos and neat locations to do just that. For me anyhow. I think the game is getting a bad rap in the reviews. Of course, I could feel differently five hours down the road.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 08:13:08 AM »

Got it rented right now; I don't think I would have felt bad about this game if I had purchased it. It's a pretty good game; I don't know why Tim didn't like it.

As for the bad voice acting : play a KOEI game sometime. This is great inflection and tone compared to "THIS VICTORY.... shall belong to WUUUUUUU!!!"

I'd say that KOTOR had worse voices based on the lack of variety. Threee people did the voices in KOTOR for the extras. In Sudeki you could make a drinking game outta finding Rasta, German and British accents.

As of right now, I'm Buki and Ailish and we're heading off to some northern city for the second crystal. (dunno how far that is).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 11:47:19 AM »

I just completed the Mo temple, and am in the underworld. I think the game just keeps getting better and better.

I think the reviewers missed the boat on this one, almost makes me wish we didn't shut wickedtoast.com down just so I can give it a fair shake.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 12:45:28 PM »

Who's to say you can't?  Review it right here man!  Show us what you got! (taunt taunt poke poke)  hhehehe

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 01:01:31 PM »

Avault's Review agrees with you.  I was wavering about this one, but I think it might be my type of RPG, so maybe I'll pick it up today.

infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 02:07:00 PM »

Heheh, I've got nothing to prove. My stuff is already out there. Look to the far right of the screen. For better or worse. smile

That Avault review is right on. Glad someone finally came to their senses.

*Edited: Please don't pimp your site here, thanks.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 02:45:15 PM »

I am happy people like it but I just couldn't stand it.  I found the combat to be...ok but not great.  It drove me nuts to be one of the melee fighters and never be able to pull of combos.  I would get the first two hits and then some monster would hit me from behind!   It was maddening and sucked a lot of fun out of it.

And then the voice acting...."Do you feel lucky, punk?  Statistically your chances are not gooo."  Wow, so bad, so very, very, very bad.

The puzzle elements were just pathetic.  Gee a big crate!  I wonder who should try to move it...a vine covered wall...whatever will I do?  

All in all it was a "C" game and with so many "A" games out there I just couldn't see wasting my time.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 02:46:12 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
It drove me nuts to be one of the melee fighters and never be able to pull of combos.  I would get the first two hits and then some monster would hit me from behind!   It was maddening and sucked a lot of fun out of it.

I had no problems with that... also, if you pull the combo off the bottom bar flashes... keep hitting the last key to extend the combo. VERY effective with TAL: XAA and AXX ... and I love the one where he spins sideways; it just DECIMATES the mobs. smile That is the only one I get interrupted in, and that's about 20% of the time. I tend to isolate one mob before using it.

And then the voice acting...."Do you feel lucky, punk?  Statistically your chances are not gooo."  Wow, so bad, so very, very, very bad.

Sudeki has different voices for most people; whereas other games (*cough*KOTOR*cough*) has 3 or 4 people who play all the NPCs. I woundn't be handing out awards for the voices in Sudeki, however given exception to a couple of REALLY BAD/ANNOYING voice acting moments, I'd say voice is mediocre-to-good.

The puzzle elements were just pathetic.  Gee a big crate!  I wonder who should try to move it...a vine covered wall...whatever will I do?

The blatant use of the 4 char's extra ability (TAL-Move shit, AILISH -See Shit, BUKI-Climb Shit, ELCO-Hover over Shit) was about as blatant as the spider-tracks in Metriod Prime. Not impressive at all; just a more complex version of red key for red door. Totally on you with this one, buddy.  biggrin  

All in all it was a "C" game and with so many "A" games out there I just couldn't see wasting my time.

I have it rented and am enjoying this B+ game.  Initially it feels like a C, but it DOES get better. smile If I bought this game used I wouldn't feel bad dropping 35-40US on it; buying at full price with the barrage of A titles coming out would definately make me hesitate.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zagreus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 04:45:08 AM »

so what's the verdict on Sudeki a couple of months on?

I don't care much for RPG stories. all I want is fun exploration and decent combat - should I take a look at Sudeki?

Zagreus sits inside your head
Zagreus lives among the dead
Zagreus sees you in your bed
And eats you when you're sleeping!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 04:59:59 AM »

I liked it, but I didn't go in expecting a full fledge 50+ hour deep RPG. I was expecting an action RPG and I got exactly that. I found it pretty fun and the story was midly amusing, but not terrible enough to make me not want to find out what was going on. The only bad thing was not enough side quests and not enough character development. Even for an action RPG it was very lite on the development side. Is it enough to warrant a purchase? I'd say for 20 bucks. Enough to warrant a rental? Sure if you have 20 hours to kill.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 07:08:30 AM »

I picked it up a few weeks back for $25, and I'm glad I did.  One thing I didn't see mentioned much was the art style, and it surprised me.  At least in the areas I've been to, the game is very beautiful, with lush colors, nice vistas, and a kind of fairy tale vibe to it.  Of course, there's also the rather gruesome scenes, with farmers impaled on pitchforks and miners with pickaxes in their heads.  Overall, I expected to like the game, but I'm finding it even better than I thought it would be.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 07:15:57 AM »

I could pick up this and fable both at once for like 10 bucks, and yet I have no drive to play either one.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 12:13:58 PM »

I really liked Sudeki, and don't think it got a fair shake by reviewers.  Most reviewers seemed to bash it for what it wasn't (they were expecting Final Fantasy for the X-Box), rather than look at what it was.

As long as you don't go in expecting a 50+ hour, epic RPG, Sudeki is a pretty fun game.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: