http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:46:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I like Steam a lot more tonight: backing up games  (Read 1102 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2004, 02:59:06 AM »

Today's Steam update addressed my biggest gripe: if something gets corrupted then I have to download Half-Life 2 all over again.  According to the site:
Steam Client Update Released
November 8, 2004, 1:39 pm ยท valve

A platform update is available and will be applied automatically when Steam is restarted. The changes include:

Added backup game files feature (right click on game)

Added purchase support for American Express, Discover and JCB credit cards.

Yep I can now back up my Steam games, including Half-Life 2.  I dreaded something happening and having to wait another day or two to play.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 04:00:38 AM »

Very cool. thanks for the heads up. I'll load steam now and get that update. I've been meaning to get my HL2 dnload backed up.

edit: i got the update, restarted Steam as it said, and I don't see anything about backing up games ... I'm right-clicking on HL2... nada.

edit again: nevermind. it worked when I clicked on Counterstrike, and then let me select HL2 as well. Said I needed 4.3 gb of space.

You have to back it up to a hard drive, you can't pick a CDRW or DVDRW drive, but ... it will compress the files into CDR size, or DVD-R size, to a directory you choose, then you can just burn that dir to a DVD, or series of CDR's.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 07:15:38 AM »

I think I am going to buy HL2 on steam just because of that...sounds good to me smile

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »

I have a tip for when you do your backup. When the utility asks you for the size you want to break the backup into (4.7 GB vs 650 mb), choose the 650 mb chunks, even if you're backing up to a dvdrw. When I tried to backup a single 4.0 gb file onto a dvd, Nero said a single file over 2.0 gb was incompatible with the CD file system.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 07:34:43 PM »

A nice gesture, but it was pretty easy to back it up even before - just go to the SteamApps folder and copy all the .gcf files - takes two DVD-Rs, and made the transfer to my 56K connection at home a lot less painful smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: