http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 11:51:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I know I'm late to the game but... Rise of Nations  (Read 1162 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2004, 11:21:13 PM »

Wow. Just wow.

I've only done the first of the two "learn to play the game" levels and it's so unbelievably awesome that I can't believe I didn't play it before now.

The sheer number of options and possible things to focus on is boggling at first. I can't wait to get deeper into this game.

There's sooooo much there I shudder to think of the things I didn't even get close to seeing in my first two plays.

Even the graphics which seem merely functional at first are very pretty.

This will be the first strategy game I've played and enjoyed since Moonbase Commander came out.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 11:50:00 PM »

Its very well done indeed. Perfect blend of Civ and AoE.  Being able to pause and give orders makes it way more fun than other non-pausing RTS'es as well.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 12:19:11 AM »

Yep, it's a good one.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 12:47:22 AM »

Quote from: "Demosthenes"
Its very well done indeed. Perfect blend of Civ and AoE.  Being able to pause and give orders makes it way more fun than other non-pausing RTS'es as well.

You just may find this slightly funny, but I didn't know you could pause.

That would have made all the difference in the world in making things a teensy bit easier to figure out.

That's what I get for not RTFM I suppose.

I assume that ability disappears in multiplayer, so I won't get too used to using it, but it will sure as heck help me learn the game faster.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 03:40:16 PM »

Fantastic game indeed, one of my favorites of last year and one of the best RTS games ever.

I picked up the expansion too, but haven't gotten to it yet...
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 05:51:10 PM »

I assume that {the ability to pause the game and issue new orders} disappears in multiplayer, so I won't get too used to using it, but it will sure as heck help me learn the game faster.

You'll be happy to know that there's an optional setting for multiplayer games that allows a player to use "Cannon Time" to temporarily slow the speed of the game.  There's a pre-determined limit on the number of times you can use Cannon Time in the course of a single game -- otherwise it could become unbearably tedious as every battle plays out in slow motion -- but it can be an excellent tactic to use during a particularly complex engagement.

You'll have to set the game rules to 'Custom' instead of 'Standard' if you want to have any Cannon Time options.

-Autistic Angel
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 08:13:09 PM »

Make sure you view the credits once, so you can listen to the theme song.  :lol:

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 08:23:12 PM »

Speaking of which, RoN has one of my favorite opening cutscenes, the intro movie.  Very classy, nicely done.  The frame wipes transitioning from era to era are really good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: