http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 10:43:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just played a Nintendo DS  (Read 4539 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2004, 11:35:27 PM »

WalMart has one on display. Metroid Prime Echoes was loaded, and fully playable.

VERY cool.  The graphics were much better than I thought they'd be. Full 3D, and all that.

Must. Own. One.

A few questions. I see they support GBA games, will those have any extra functionality?

What are the big launch games, and how much are the games?

Does it have PDA functions, like an address book, etc?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 11:43:15 PM »

My impressions in the other thread not good enough for you?  :wink:

It was OK. Not going to stop me from getting it but certainly didn't wow me either.

Maybe it was the game (Metroid), controls or little of both. Controlling with your finger completely covered the lower screen, rendering it somewhat useless. I think the same game could have been done using one screen and Halo-like controls (shoulders being gun triggers and movement based on left controller and right buttons). Be ready for finger prints too!

With this game it seems kinda gimmick-y but who knows what good stuff they might come up with.

It will play GBA games and with the Sega, 'Touchy/Feely' launch game old Sega games will provide unlockables. I'm sure that's a glimpse into the future.
Release games are't looking all that hot.
Not sure about PDA functionality..

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 01:21:12 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
A few questions. I see they support GBA games, will those have any extra functionality?

Does it have PDA functions, like an address book, etc?

The DS supports all SINGLE PLAYER GBA titles. It does NOT support any multiplayer features whatsoever, as the link cable will not work with the DS. Other than that, yes, it'll play all GBA games out there.

As for the PDA... This would be a fantastic idea. Just think - a console that can play games extremely well and be a PDA AND sell for only $150 (compared to a $300 Palm device)? Now that would sell.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 02:48:34 PM »

It doesn't look like it has much in the way of PDA functionality other than something called PictoChat - wireless chat for 'up to 16 people'. There is the so-called 'microsite' here or the official website here for more information.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 03:32:54 PM »

Some of the questions I had were pretty basic, and I could've looked them up, sorry, I was on my lunch break, plus just starting up conversation smile

Now that I have time to look into it, I've read up. I do want one of these, but I think I'll wait. The games are $30 - $40 each, but there are some titles I'd like, like Tiger 2005, Metroid, and others.

I'll wait till I hear more feedback from everyday gamers.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 04:21:56 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
I'll wait till I hear more feedback from everyday gamers.

Well, I'll be picking it up on launch day, once I get home from work. Am I 'everyday' enough for you? smile

The thing is though, I don't have any current plans on picking up any games, short of the demo. I don't exactly play my GBA all that often. Metroid should be enough to keep me occupied for the time being.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 04:59:38 PM »

According to what I've read, it goes on sale tomorrow, and all places selling it are supposed to sell out quick.

Does it come with the metroid demo?
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 05:05:25 PM »

Yes, it does come with the demo.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 06:35:08 PM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
Yes, it does come with the demo.

And that pictochat thing loaded into ROM. I think I'll just turn mine on and wander down the block - see if there's any kids who also got one in the area. smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 10:45:39 PM »

I'll  be getting mine tomorrow along with Mario and Touchy-game from EB.

Will report back...

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 12:53:49 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I'll  be getting mine tomorrow along with Mario and Touchy-game from EB.

Will report back...
You're buying one despite not being wowed by it?

I know you said it wouldn't stop you from buying it, but man, $150 is alot...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 04:29:53 AM »

Yeah - I wasn't wowed but I have a LOT of trade credit at EB and figured a new system would stay in my collection much longer than 3 new games.

I still think there will be some wowing going on, maybe just not yet!

We'll see!

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 04:41:56 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Yeah - I wasn't wowed but I have a LOT of trade credit at EB and figured a new system would stay in my collection much longer than 3 new games.

I still think there will be some wowing going on, maybe just not yet!

We'll see!
Ah, trade credit.  Gotcha.  Makes sense now.

Do keep us up to date with your impressions.  I still find the system a little gimmicky, but I'm open to a change in opinion if it really is good.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2004, 04:50:59 AM »

I'm picking up mine tomorrow with Mario as well (they have added a metric ton of minigames apparently)

Don't know if I'll spring for any other launch day titles...

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 05:09:39 AM »

I played it for a few minutes at Best Buy.  Wow I hated it.  I can't imagine a more useless handheld.  

While playing Metroid Prime the lower screen was really, really helpful by showing me a map...wow I couldn't possibly get that without two screens!

It serves no purpose.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2004, 05:15:34 AM »

While I hesitate to call the dual screens "useless", it's not something I would want to go out and buy. But then again, the last portable I bought was a Game Boy Pocket. That's when I realized handhelds just aren't my thing. Thank god for the Game Boy Player. smile
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 05:51:41 AM »

I saw one at EB.  Played with it a little.  I was underwhelmed, but then I never really got into the Gameboy thing.  The first model I owned was the SP, and while I enjoyed Fire Emblem a lot for a good bit, I cant say I ever got into another game on it.  And I tried plenty.

I havent seen the PSP in person, but it just seems a hell of a lot cooler.

olaf
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2004, 07:30:39 AM »

I'm waiting on the PSP myself.  Nippon Ichi's next game is PSP exclusive, after all...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2004, 01:45:19 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I'm waiting on the PSP myself.  Nippon Ichi's next game is PSP exclusive, after all...

Is it really? Wow...!
Yes, the PSP already looks a hundred times more promising than the DS. EB had a special trade-in deal locally towards the DS so I was only out of pocket about $25. I figured at that price I could give it a shot. We'll see if it's any good...

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2004, 04:41:07 PM »

VERY IN! on the PSP but the DS is first so I guess I have to start here!  :wink:

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2004, 11:16:04 PM »

The DS may have a rough start, according to the first batch of game reviews. I'm all for the system if game developers manage to use the unique features creatively, but so far having the pause screen shown on the second screen isn't a huge leap in gameplay - IMO.

I mean, just having a Pikmin-like real time game where you have to manage two characters at once, one on each screen, has the potential to be a quick, intense little experience. If developers are given the time (and money?) to brainstorm a little I'm sure some cool games would pop out.

Or they could make a Pokemon game.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2004, 11:37:29 PM »

Well, I've put in a bit of time on my DS here at work (I'm bored, so sue me smile ), and my first impression is as followed:

It's dark.

Maybe I'm used to the 'ultrabrite' technology on my laptop, or the ability to bring up the backlighting on my Palm Tungsten T|3, but playing the demo of Metroid Prime: Hunters, my first thought was that the game is very dark.

The game controls well, is very smooth (looks to be locked at 30fps), and is decently pretty (looks to be about a N64 title, if not a bit better looking thanks to the small screen). Surprisingly, after a bit of a learning curve, controlling the game with the wrist strap 'thumb thing' works very well. It won't replace an analog controller (something which you can find on portables like the Tapwave Zodiac), but it works.

But where's the controls to turn up the brightness? Maybe in a darker room it'll be brighter, as my work is filled with light. More on that later.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2004, 12:15:34 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

The PSP has a chance of being teh only handheld i have owned for more than a few weeks.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2004, 02:51:48 AM »

I've only used it for about 20 minutes with Mario and the setup.

The Bad:
-It's prettty big

-It's cheap feeling

-You kinda have to shut down after you go from app to app - Pictochat to game for instance.

-Control in Mario is going to take time

-I have a dead pixel  :cry:

The Good:
-The Mario Mini-Games are fun

I'm gonna need more time with this...

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2004, 03:15:11 AM »

Take it back because of the dead pixel. My little brother had to take back his GBA SP twice because of dead pixels. I wouldnt just take that.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2004, 03:22:53 AM »

I picked one up from Best Buy today, along with a copy of Super Mario 64 DS. It's silver and my first impression was that it looks good. I have to disagree with Devil's assertion that it looks cheap. The outside case looks relatively stylish compared to the SP and the thing feels very durable. Unfortunately, it is a bit on the heavy side. After the first twenty minutes it started to feel like a brick, but I'm starting to get used to it. Just got done playing MArio 64 for an hour and didn't have any problems.  

I have very favorable impressions of Metroid Prime Hunters. It controls wonderfully using the directional pad and the thumb strap. Felt completely natural and I felt like I had almost as much aiming accuracy as I did with a mouse. I thought the left hand would feel awkward trying to fire using the left shoulder button, but didn't have any trouble.

3D graphics in the game are very impressive for a Nintendo 64 title. Still, it was great playing a full 3D game and the artwork is very stylish, even if it is not all the detailed. I hope the full game has a nice single-player component (as that is all I'll be using the DS for).

I never played Super Mario 64, so I have to so I was surprised to find out just how cool this game is. I collected 8 stars in a few hours and am completely hooked. Since I've never seen the original, I can't say how the graphics compare, but the game looks great on the DS top screen. The game displays a map on the lower screen, and it is very useful for navigating. I guess on any other system it could be displayed in a corner of the main screen, but I don't think it would have the amount of detail that the DS map can show.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase so far. I'm a little worried about not having enough games to play, as the only one I'm interested in now are Viewtiful Joe DS and Metroid Prime Hunters, but according to EB they aren't coming out until May.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2004, 04:27:23 AM »

Played around a bit with Mario and the Metroid demo. Both were pretty good.

I'm surprised at the comment that the screen was too dark. That was not my impression at all. The mini-games in Mario are alot of fun and both my son and my wife had fun playing them. The thumb strap thing will take a bit of getting used to I think. Went back to trying Mario without and actually enjoyed it more without the strap.

I never played the original game on the N64 but this game is a hoot and has beautiful sharp graphics. I'm having lots of fun running around as Yoshi! Cool

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2004, 04:28:06 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
I picked one up from Best Buy today, along with a copy of Super Mario 64 DS. It's silver and my first impression was that it looks good. I have to disagree with Devil's assertion that it looks cheap. The outside case looks relatively stylish compared to the SP and the thing feels very durable. Unfortunately, it is a bit on the heavy side. After the first twenty minutes it started to feel like a brick, but I'm starting to get used to it. Just got done playing MArio 64 for an hour and didn't have any problems.  

I really should pick up Super Mario 64 DS. I loved the original, and I think it's about time I replay it again... biggrin

As far as the weight of the console is concerned, hold it exactly like Nintendo suggested inside the manual somewhere - one hand holding the Digital Pad/L Button (or the buttons/R), the other on the other side, with your thumb aimed towards the center of the touch screen. It's a bit odd at first, but it distrubutes one's weight rather well.

Honestly, I don't think I'll ever use the stylus short of Pictochat. The thumb thingy is too inaccurate for accurate point-and-click, although the game does compensate to a point if you have it on.

And to show off how well you are at controlling the touchpad, try going through the Morph Ball sequence with the MP:H demo using the touchpad only. If anything, it will drastically improve your 'touching' abilities. biggrin

One last thing - If you score in the top five of all three sequences in the demo, you'll unlock a secret movie in MP:H. Looks pretty, and if you want to show it off afterwards, you can click on a new glowy button at the title screen (Touch here to start).

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2004, 07:10:32 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
As far as the weight of the console is concerned, hold it exactly like Nintendo suggested inside the manual somewhere - one hand holding the Digital Pad/L Button (or the buttons/R), the other on the other side, with your thumb aimed towards the center of the touch screen. It's a bit odd at first, but it distrubutes one's weight rather well.

The problem is the games that want to make use of the stylus. Its ok when you hold it with both hands, but one handed? Thats just going to become uncomfortable really quick.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2004, 07:21:43 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Quote from: "Destructor"

The problem is the games that want to make use of the stylus. Its ok when you hold it with both hands, but one handed? Thats just going to become uncomfortable really quick.

That's why they included the thumb strap.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2004, 02:39:11 PM »

I still think it feels kinda cheap!  smile

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2004, 04:18:06 PM »

My hunch is that you're going to see the bottom screen used for game-specific touch-sensitive controls a lot more than you're going to see an actual second thing to look at.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2004, 04:29:53 PM »

Hmm...for only the second time in my life I am not excited about a new console release. I had a chance to pick one up at Best Buy on Saturday and passed it right on by. That is the only second time in my life I have ever passed up a chance to buy a console on the first day it was available, the other time was the Atari Jaguar. I even got a 3DO for christs sake!

The Nintendo DS just seems....rushed. The launch lineup is really not impressive at all. The only game I am even remotely interested in is the new Super Mario Bros game, but that won't be out until late 2005.

I honestly think the Sony PSP looks much more impressive.

Just my 2 cents.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2004, 05:49:22 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Hmm...for only the second time in my life I am not excited about a new console release. I had a chance to pick one up at Best Buy on Saturday and passed it right on by. That is the only second time in my life I have ever passed up a chance to buy a console on the first day it was available, the other time was the Atari Jaguar. I even got a 3DO for christs sake!

The Nintendo DS just seems....rushed. The launch lineup is really not impressive at all. The only game I am even remotely interested in is the new Super Mario Bros game, but that won't be out until late 2005.

I honestly think the Sony PSP looks much more impressive.

Just my 2 cents.

Forget the 3DO, you even got the Philips CD-I? Or the infamous N-Gage? :shock:

EDIT: sorry, I'm just messing around to see how the "edited by..." below the post works.  :lol:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2004, 06:34:08 PM »

The N-Gage?  No. That is not even a gaming console, I consider it a phone with some gaming capabilities.

CD-I, yes I got it. Bad, bad move on my part.

The 3DO though was a pretty good system.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »

Played metroid on the DS at gamestop over lunch... with my left hand holding the device, controlling directional movement and shooting and my right hand using the stylus on the lower screen I found it to be the most responsive console shooter ever. Of course that was only possible because the console was mounted on a pedestal and the game was pretty dark and the jumping puzzle appears impossible, but it was still pretty cool.

Not in.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2004, 09:19:20 PM »

Liked it.  But too few games, and too big.   The SP is just so perfectly sized.

I may pick one up when more games are available... Advance Wars and an RPG of some kind.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2004, 09:33:23 PM »

Quote from: "Bob"
Liked it.  But too few games,

That was the killer for me. The selection of launch titles, to put it bluntly, sucks.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2004, 10:57:08 PM »

Never was interested in the Nintendo DS.  

Really, I don't like any NIntendo consoles or the games that they produce any longer. I bought TWO Gameboy advances and ended up trading them in once I realized that they were hardly ever being used. I'm just not that impressed by anything they do anymore. Mario Sunshine? Boring. Zelda? Grew old fast after a Link to the Past.
Pikmin? Wha? Nintendo in the past 3 and a half years has failed to attract me to their consoles or the games that run on said consoles. I think Nintendo has hurt themselfs by not pushing harder to keep up with growing technology trends. No support for multiplayer was their biggest mistake ever. Oh, and ofcourse using smaller versions of DVD disc. That was a real big mistake imho.

Now they come out with a console that is another big gimmick much like their Virtualboy.

On the other end of the spectrum you have Sony. The Sony PSP handheld definitely appeals more to me. The game lineup is nice and the technology seems more streamlined and useful. Microsoft seems well planted in the console market and will most certainly want a taste of the handheld market in the future. I look forward to what they have to offer.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2004, 11:36:24 PM »

Wow, I'm surprised at everyone's impression.  I just picked it up today and I'm extremely impressed.  I applaud innovation.  The two screen thing is going to take off.  We have to give it time.  I truly believe games will be developed for it that will utilize the two screens in interesting ways.  For now, using it as maps and as a touch screen is fine for me.

I also don't understand the complaint about launch games either.  I'm happy with Super Mario 64 for now and the Metroid demo.  I have Halo 2, Godzilla STE, ESPN NHL 2K5 & soon KOTOR 2 to keep me busy.  The games will come.  Maybe I'm just more patient than most.  I can't wait for Animal Crossing & Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

I also don't think it feels rushed or cheap.  It feels solid to me in my hands and it is actually more comfortable than the SP, which I thought was a little too narrow.

By the way, the Metroid demo was outstanding.  I can't believe how stellar the 3D graphics look.  I almost feel like I'm playing on the Gamecube.  The controls, especially using the stylus is very fluid.  I love it.

Big thumbs up here! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: