http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 03:54:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just got an xbox 360, now I have questions  (Read 1611 times)
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2006, 06:57:53 PM »

I'm one of the cool kids now, I have an xbox 360! I hooked it up to my 42" TV but my wireless router is upstairs. So my first question is I really don't want to pay another $100 to get on Xbox live, can I use other network adapters? My other question is the sales person was pushing some external cooling unit. I know that the 360 tends to get hot and needs good ventalation but is it worth it to buy one of these coolers?

docD
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 07:04:05 PM »

Can't answer your first one as my router is right by my TV so I don't need to go wireless.  For your second question, I have seen reports recently suggesting the external cooler was actually bad for the 360.  Who knows what to really believe, though.  I don't have one and mine works just fine.

Oh, by the way, the cool kids have PS3 pre-orders, apparently, so you are tragically uncool.  Don't worry, though.  So am I.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 07:04:45 PM »

You don't have to pay $100 for the official adapter, you could always buy an opened box one off of Ebay for around $60 shipped.

Also any game wifi adapter (such as the linksys wireless g gaming adapter) should work on it, but the retail price of those also hovers around $100. (The wireless b one goes for a lot cheaper though.) Same deal though, check ebay and you should be able to pick one up for around $50 shipped. I haven't personally tired the wireless g adapter on my 360, but it worked fine on the PS2 (connects through the ethernet port) and doesn't require any drivers.

Just me personally, but I'd recommend the official 360 adapter. It connects right on the back of your 360, is small, doesn't require any drivers and doesn't need to be plugged into the wall. And at around $60 shipped, IMO, it's hard to go wrong with it.

As far as the intercooler, they're only $20 and I had been using one the entire time I had my 360, so I'd say yes it's a good investment as it helps cool down your 360 (just put your hand behind your 360 with it on and you'll see how good of a job it's doing) though there have been some very rare reports of people putting it on wrong and it burning up the connections, but if you follow the directions and put it on exactly as it says there shouldn't be any problems.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 07:04:57 PM »

Hey I remembered this thread from awhile ago.

Check it out

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,10537.0.html

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 07:20:36 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 31, 2006, 07:04:05 PM

Oh, by the way, the cool kids have PS3 pre-orders, apparently, so you are tragically uncool.  Don't worry, though.  So am I.

Well we'll be back to being the cool kids when Sony only manages to ship 2 PS3s  icon_twisted

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 31, 2006, 07:04:45 PM

You don't have to pay $100 for the official adapter, you could always buy an opened box one off of Ebay for around $60 shipped.

Also any game wifi adapter (such as the linksys wireless g gaming adapter) should work on it, but the retail price of those also hovers around $100. (The wireless b one goes for a lot cheaper though.) Same deal though, check ebay and you should be able to pick one up for around $50 shipped. I haven't personally tired the wireless g adapter on my 360, but it worked fine on the PS2 (connects through the ethernet port) and doesn't require any drivers.

Just me personally, but I'd recommend the official 360 adapter. It connects right on the back of your 360, is small, doesn't require any drivers and doesn't need to be plugged into the wall. And at around $60 shipped, IMO, it's hard to go wrong with it.

As far as the intercooler, they're only $20 and I had been using one the entire time I had my 360, so I'd say yes it's a good investment as it helps cool down your 360 (just put your hand behind your 360 with it on and you'll see how good of a job it's doing) though there have been some very rare reports of people putting it on wrong and it burning up the connections, but if you follow the directions and put it on exactly as it says there shouldn't be any problems.

Thanks corruptrelic, my wife says I've maxed out my gaming budget but I'll take a look on ebay. Hopefully, I can convince her that $60 is acceptable.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 07:27:29 PM by DocD » Logged
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 07:34:10 PM »

Quote from: DocD on October 31, 2006, 07:20:36 PM

Thanks corruptrelic, my wife says I've maxed out my gaming budget but I'll take a look on ebay. Hopefully, I can convince her that $60 is acceptable.

Perhaps she'll change her tune when you tell her the alternative is 100 feet of CAT5 running through the house up to the router. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 07:37:21 PM »

I got the Dlink game bridge and it has worked wonders for me. My only complaint is that I have an older G router and might upgrade to AG+ to get a better signal

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 07:55:43 PM »

DocD,

I have a wireless bridge that I'd be willing to sell you.  It's D-Link DWL-810 (I think that's the model number).  It will work, but it's 802.11b and not 802.11g.  I didn't have any issues as far as playing games and downloads, but you can't do the streaming stuff from your PC if you want to do that.

Let me know if you'd be interested.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 02:57:50 AM »

Thanks for the offer Graham but after looking at my finances I'm going to have to wait for a while. When I want to use Live I'll just have to hook it up to my computer monitor for the time being.

docD
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 03:23:02 AM »

Quote from: DocD on November 01, 2006, 02:57:50 AM

Thanks for the offer Graham but after looking at my finances I'm going to have to wait for a while. When I want to use Live I'll just have to hook it up to my computer monitor for the time being.

docD

You will probably want to hook it up to your network and monitor to power it up at least once and download the updates that have been made available.  I personally just run CAT5 cable to my 360, but I live alone so there's nobody to tell me it's in the way or looks bad.  icon_smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 03:28:22 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 01, 2006, 03:23:02 AM

Quote from: DocD on November 01, 2006, 02:57:50 AM

docD

You will probably want to hook it up to your network and monitor to power it up at least once and download the updates that have been made available.  I personally just run CAT5 cable to my 360, but I live alone so there's nobody to tell me it's in the way or looks bad.  icon_smile

I could let DocD sublet Purge from me and he can tell you how to run Cat5 through the walls!  Huzzah for purge!  Huzzah for wired Live access
Irongut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 04:21:02 PM »

On using an intercooler, be warned, the Intercooler can(will) void your repair warranty with MS.

I dont have an intercooler, but this conversation came up while I was placing a repair order for my console (the dvd drive/harddrive were not working well.)

An MS rep was telling me that it can cause the plastic venting to show discoloration (scorching I guess from the heat flow) that tells them right away you used an intercooler. Upon seeing this discoloration, they will not service it, but instead send it back to you as-is.

It's considered a non-approved add-on.  The intercoolers use some sort of pass thru powercord, meaning it pulls a small amount of power away from the unit itself.  Their perspective is that it can lead to damage of the system components.

Only other thing I've ever heard is that some of the intercoolers fans are of a poor quality and can actually get stuck, blocking airflow into your console. How ironic is that.

So if you are going to get one, I just post this so you are informed in your decision.  It could affect your ability to use the MS warranty and a lot of folks I know seem to eventually have a 360 problem where the warranty comes into play.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 04:31:11 PM by Irongut » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 05:24:07 PM »

That, and the 360's heat dispersion methods have changed from the original on release day. Apparently the intercoolers have not changed design and can actually stifle heat distribution.

Don't do it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 05:31:50 PM »

With all due respect, having had an Intercooler for the entirety of my consoles life, I find it hard to believe it can harm the system. It's pulling heat OUT of the system, not blowing in, and the part that faces the 360 is VERY open, so I don't see how it can block anything and bind heat up within the 360. I have never seen one bad review of it, but I have seen people report their 360's run cooler (I believe mine is one of those), and even remember someone testing it and showing as much as a 10 degree drop off in temperature, so it obviously does its job.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Irongut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 05:55:33 PM »

I'm just relating what the MS rep said to me directly.  Hopefully it helps weigh the options if you are considering paying 20 for an intercooler that could potentially invalidate a 60 dollar extended two year warranty resulting in 130 dollar repair costs (I forget, I think this is the repair cost after 90days.... if I'm wrong on this number I apologize).  Personally, I just think the 360 is a flawed design and the ability to get a repair or replacement over time is important.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:06:37 PM by Irongut » Logged
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 06:45:53 PM »

Thanks for all the information everyone. I bought my 360 at Costco so I if there is a problem I'll take it back to them. That said I think I will wait on the intercooler for now and see how hot it gets.

I could let DocD sublet Purge from me and he can tell you how to run Cat5 through the walls!  Huzzah for purge!  Huzzah for wired Live access

So what's the going rate to sublet him?  icon_wink Actually that's what I've decided that I will probably do. I've done some wireing work at the house already so one more wire shouldn't be hard. I was just trying to take the lazy way out. icon_biggrin

docD
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:53:59 PM by DocD » Logged
Irongut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 07:19:51 PM »

I ran CAT 5e wires through my attic and couple of walls last week by coincidence too.  My dad is a certified electrician and I guess I had observed enough of his real wiring techniques that it helped a bit.

Wiring the jacks was absolutely easy.  Each jack comes with everything you need to splice them onto the wire.  Access to the walls you need to get through is gonna be the biggest issue.  I was very lucky in that my attic and a crawlspace gave me access to the walls I needed so I could do vertical drops.  This can get pretty tricky though if you are dealing with walls that dont have any prior access.  In my case I had run some Cable TV jacks a few years back and so the hard part about figuring out where I needed to drop lines etc was basically done and I was able to use those wiring paths to also do the ethernet wiring, not much fishing to do at all.  Biggest decision was to decide on 568A or B standard for how you wire the ethernet jacks, and the only secret there is to choose one and stay consistent.  I ended up going with the A standard.

At any home improvement place (Home Depot/Lowes) you can pick up the CAT 5e wire and all the parts you need.  The jacks are self splicing and come with a little plastic tool to do it, you just need to read the instructions and follow the wiring diagram.  They make these neat modular faceplates for the ethernet jacks, they you can plug and play sockets for Cable TV, phone etc.. it was really modular (and cool)

I wish you good luck, ethernet is something folks can learn, just dont mess with real electrical, thats for the professionals.(oh wait I see you did some already)  You'll need to spend a bit of time figuring out how you could best run the lines, sometimes your options become a little more limited (i.e. maybe you dont have access or the tools to drill through the header of wall frame etc.

I was so psyched when I finished the two lines.  Called my dad up to tell him about my wiring achievement, he called me a geek. Gee thanks Dad!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 07:33:25 PM by Irongut » Logged
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 08:59:04 PM »

Quote from: Irongut on November 01, 2006, 05:55:33 PM

I'm just relating what the MS rep said to me directly.  Hopefully it helps weigh the options if you are considering paying 20 for an intercooler that could potentially invalidate a 60 dollar extended two year warranty resulting in 130 dollar repair costs (I forget, I think this is the repair cost after 90days.... if I'm wrong on this number I apologize).  Personally, I just think the 360 is a flawed design and the ability to get a repair or replacement over time is important.

Nah man, information is great, but its a real head scratcher to me how even if both fans failed, it could keep heat in. I'm no engineer or anything, but it looks pretty impossible to me. I definitely don't discount what you are saying about the Microsoft rep though.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 09:07:21 PM »

... and my source was a buddy of mine who manages an EB; he was told that by his MS rep too.

In such a small place, changing airflow direction can have a real negative impact if there is airflow paths engineered to move the hot air away (and said aftermarket product could create a null zone where the air doesn't move).

In the "redesign" he cited that they had changed some of the internals and MS was starting to get calls on intercooler'ed systems dying. The release systems apparently had no problems with it, and they were highly recommended initially.

When was your 360 mfgr'd? My buddy moved on and is no longer at EB (left about a month ago; apparently Starbucks treats him way better as the Regional Mgr for EB is sputtering idiot) so I he doesn't have contact with the MS rep to follow up on it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 11:16:29 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 01, 2006, 09:07:21 PM

... and my source was a buddy of mine who manages an EB; he was told that by his MS rep too.

In such a small place, changing airflow direction can have a real negative impact if there is airflow paths engineered to move the hot air away (and said aftermarket product could create a null zone where the air doesn't move).

In the "redesign" he cited that they had changed some of the internals and MS was starting to get calls on intercooler'ed systems dying. The release systems apparently had no problems with it, and they were highly recommended initially.

When was your 360 mfgr'd? My buddy moved on and is no longer at EB (left about a month ago; apparently Starbucks treats him way better as the Regional Mgr for EB is sputtering idiot) so I he doesn't have contact with the MS rep to follow up on it.

Mine is a 3/20/2006 build.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 01:53:53 AM »

Quote from: jblank on November 01, 2006, 11:16:29 PM

Mine is a 3/20/2006 build.

He mentioned this back when I took mine in for a replacement (August) and this was when the problems were "rearing their ugly head". I dunno <shrug>.

My 360's have all worked fine (except some noise with my first one).

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 02:54:58 AM »

I actually read this article about the possible problems with the Intercooler just a few days ago.  The personal cases are based on only his six friends but it mentions they all had problems as well as similar statements from Microsoft call center reps to those mentioned above. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 02:37:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 02, 2006, 02:54:58 AM

I actually read this article about the possible problems with the Intercooler just a few days ago.  The personal cases are based on only his six friends but it mentions they all had problems as well as similar statements from Microsoft call center reps to those mentioned above. 

Thats a very interesting article.

Just to be safe, I actually removed my Intercooler last night, and probably won't use it again. I checked my console, no scorch marks, and it hasn't misbehaved any (1 lock up since I owned it, knock on wood) since I have used the Intercooler, but if Microsoft says "Don't use it and if you do and it breaks, we won't replace it", then I better not use it. I'm still a BIT skeptical about their claims, but better to be safe than sorry.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: