http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 08:48:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have succumbed to consolitis!  (Read 1200 times)
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2004, 03:53:17 PM »

And it's not so bad. smile  I picked up a Gamecube the other weekend and I don't regret it at all.  I've been a PC gamer for a VERY long time (all the way back to the TI-99 and C64 days slywink )

I got the GC because my nieces and nephews have a PS2 and I like Nintendo games for some reason.  I always hated the original NES but the N64 had some good stuff.  I absolutely fell in love with Paper Mario.  I think now that the consoles are somewhat on par with PC performance and graphics is what made me take the plunge.

I got Pikmin which is very fun and Viewtiful Joe which I would put in the "BEST GAME EVAR" category.  I was able to get them both used which is a nice change from the PC world.  I was a little leery at first but the guy at the store said I could bring them back up to a week afterwards in case they didn't work.

The system came with Metroid Prime and that's the only game I'm having trouble with.  I've never been able to get the hang of FPS with console controllers.  I'm definitely a mouse/kb purist that way.

So congratulate me, or criticize me for buying the baby system slywink or make game reccomendations.  I know Pikmin 2 and Joe 2 are out, as well as the next Paper Mario so they're on my list for eventual buys.
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 04:01:28 PM »

I congratulate you!

The cool thing about 'going console' is that you don't really have to give anything up (your PC games). Rather you open your doors to a lot more options.

In fact, now that I'm on board with an xbox and a PS2, I find there are almost too many options. It can get hard on the wallet!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 07:41:37 PM »

Congrats! Don't let all the X-Box and PS2 nerds ( slywink ) around here tell you that you made the wrong decision! The GCN is awesome! smile

Don't give up on Metroid Prime. I had similar problems to you. The thing is you're really NOT playing a FPS on a console. You are playing a First Person adventure with shooting in it. There's a big difference. Remember when shooting, that you don't have to aim, you lock onto creatures with your L-Trigger. Once you get used to it, you'll be loving all that Metroid goodness!

Now, you need to go out and buy Zelda Wind Waker, and Eternal Darkness and you'll be in gaming bliss! Oh and don't forget Paper Mario 2. I finished Chapter 2 last night, and it's a total blast!

Have fun!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 07:48:52 PM »

Yeah, I think MP's controls work just fine for how the game is designed.  It isn't designed as a FPS and you shouldn't try to control it that way.  There was a bit of a learning curve but once I was off of the space station it was second nature.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 02:07:06 AM »

Metroid Prime will be the first, First Person Game, you play with jumping puzzles that don't piss you off. Because of the game's controls jumping around and exploring the world is very natural.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 03:47:55 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
The thing is you're really NOT playing a FPS on a console. You are playing a First Person adventure with shooting in it. There's a big difference.

:roll: Aw crap, not *this* again. She's got a freakin' arm dedicated to shooting. Shoo-ting. Shoe T'ang. Blammo. Batteries not included. See store for details, offer good while quantities last. This coupon carries no cash value, and forgot it's credit card at home.

That being said, the game is fun enough to play, although I found myself missing the 2d version pretty bad since this game is considerably smaller and all the "exploration" points are blatantly obvious. For instance: spider tracks, hmm, do I have to come back here later? The bomb+ball was used in the 2d to explore the glass ceiling. Glass. As in transparent.

I also agree with the controls in "exploration" as they aren't obtrusive. I would have preferred options to change layout, as I'm not a big fan of the controller and the Z button, or the little yellow joystick.

I'd stick through it so you can get the story out of it, but after beating it I've never picked it up again.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 05:02:56 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "JCC"
The thing is you're really NOT playing a FPS on a console. You are playing a First Person adventure with shooting in it. There's a big difference.

:roll: Aw crap, not *this* again. She's got a freakin' arm dedicated to shooting. Shoo-ting. Shoe T'ang. Blammo. Batteries not included. See store for details, offer good while quantities last. This coupon carries no cash value, and forgot it's credit card at home..

Indeed.  The "first person adventure" nonsense is nothing more than a lame excuse for "The GC's controller sucks for FPS games".
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 05:33:20 PM »

Er no, Metroid Prime plays fundamentally different than a FPS. In MP it is IMPOSSIBLE to run, aim, and shoot at once, not due to the controller, but due to the setup of the controls. In MP you LOCK onto targets and then shoot. To me this represents wildly different gameplay than your standard FPS. Roll your eyes and made snide remarks all you want....

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 05:38:47 PM »

Metroid Prime controls just fine once you get used to the setup. I wouldn't want to play a game like this with dual analog sticks. Jumping, an integral part of the game, would be much harder and a lot of the boss fights would play out completely differently.

I have yet to hear any  valid argument against the control scheme Prime implemented. Honestly, most arguments I've seen boil down to "It sucks because it's different from what I'm used to." Not all games need to be carbon copies of one another.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 02:40:36 PM »

Have they developed a cream for consolitis?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: