http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:55:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have re-joined the RRoD Fraternity  (Read 8827 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:14 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 26, 2008, 11:38:03 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on June 26, 2008, 10:29:28 PM

Yeah but EA charges you $120 for a plastic drum pedal just to make sure you ship it back.  At that rate of exchange Microsoft would have to charge $800 to ensure that they get their equipment back.  I don't think it is realistic to expect them to drop ship a new 360 everytime someone calls about a repair that they can only verify over the phone.  I know, f*ck EA, f*ck Microsoft and all that.  But come on now.

But so what?  I would rather them charge me $800 and credit my account when they receive my 360 back, and be without an xbox for 3 days, than have to wait on the 2-3 week turnaround time.  I don't understand why you think that's not realistic.  It's a bit more of a hassle for Microsoft, but c'mon, it's been 3 years, and these things are still failing left and right.

"Hmm.  I have a 3 year old 360 and I'd like to get one of those fancy "newer" ones with the smaller die and better cooling.  I'll just call Microsoft and tell them I am getting a RRoD.  They'll ship me a  new unit and I'll just send mine back.  Let's see them try to challenge me when they can't find anything wrong with it.  I've already got my new 360 and they have my old one.  There's no way they can charge me $800 now.  I'll run to the interwebs and tear them a new one!!!"

I agree that the 360 is a train wreck hardware wise.  But to say that Microsoft is treating customers badly when they are still paying shipping both ways and repairing 3 year old hardware at no charge is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 12:07:49 AM »

Until you realize just how big a problem the 360 failures are. It's their own fault, they did a poor job in constructing the machine......PERIOD. If users were doing something to break them, I would agree Denog, but the fact is that Microsoft is still "paying for shipping both ways and fixing 3 year old machines", because of their own doings.

"Fixing" 360's like they fixed mine, is treating the customer badly though. We send them back to be completely repaired and they can't even make one last 2 months? Thats shoddy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:10:30 AM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 12:43:20 AM »

Quote from: jblank on June 27, 2008, 12:07:49 AM

Until you realize just how big a problem the 360 failures are. It's their own fault, they did a poor job in constructing the machine......PERIOD. If users were doing something to break them, I would agree Denog, but the fact is that Microsoft is still "paying for shipping both ways and fixing 3 year old machines", because of their own doings.

"Fixing" 360's like they fixed mine, is treating the customer badly though. We send them back to be completely repaired and they can't even make one last 2 months? Thats shoddy.

Trust me I know how big of a problem it is.  I've been through 3 of them myself.  But you have to seperate the crappy hardware from the customer service itself.  I just think expecting them to ship a new 360 to every person who calls them reporting a problem on 3 year old machines without being able to verify the claim is rediculous.  I have recieved both of my repaired 360s less than 10 days after reporting the problem.  For comparison I sent a Dell laptop that is less than 5 months old in for repairs over a month ago and I am still waiting to get it back.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 01:20:21 AM »

I wouldn't care if it was new, though reasonably clean and shiny would be nice, I just want it to work for longer than 6 weeks.  icon_lol Still, like someone said, they would have your credit card info, and if you try to rip 'em off, well bam, you just bought a 360.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 02:17:18 AM »

Quote from: jblank on June 27, 2008, 01:20:21 AM

Still, like someone said, they would have your credit card info, and if you try to rip 'em off, well bam, you just bought a 360.

Sure as long as they don't just cancel that card after they recieve the new 360. icon_biggrin

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 02:30:50 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 26, 2008, 10:01:48 PM

unnecessarily inconveniencing their loyal customers.  Especially now that the PS3 is holding its own.  Look, I love my 360, but I cannot, in good consience, recommend it to friends of mine that are deciding between the PS3 and the 360.

I agree 100%. I'd recommend the PS3 to a friend every time. The failure rate of the 360 is just crazy. Great machine when it works, but if I'm recommending a console to a friend, it'll be the PS3 (I own both). MS better pull their heads out, because their one big advantage, Live, is about to be met head-on with Sony Home, and if Home works well, MS will be in big trouble.

Seeing people having gone through 2, 3, and even more ... I mean .. wow. I'm feeling blessed by the gaming gods that mine has lasted 6 months.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 03:15:50 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 27, 2008, 02:30:50 AM

Seeing people having gone through 2, 3, and even more ... I mean .. wow. I'm feeling blessed by the gaming gods that mine has lasted 6 months.

Uh oh, better get a Game Boy to tide yourself over, you just screwed yourself pal. paranoid

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 03:44:26 AM »

I agree 100%. I'd recommend the PS3 to a friend every time. The failure rate of the 360 is just crazy. Great machine when it works, but if I'm recommending a console to a friend, it'll be the PS3 (I own both).

that would last until they asked me what PS3 games I got that make it so great and me answering 'well, uh... Uncharted'- I can't recommend games I haven't played on a system to my friends.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »

I agree 100%. I'd recommend the PS3 to a friend every time. The failure rate of the 360 is just crazy. Great machine when it works, but if I'm recommending a console to a friend, it'll be the PS3 (I own both).

I still recommend the 360.  But I just offer to buy it for them with my Coscto membership.  icon_biggrin

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 01:29:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 27, 2008, 03:44:26 AM

that would last until they asked me what PS3 games I got that make it so great and me answering 'well, uh... Uncharted'- I can't recommend games I haven't played on a system to my friends.

Are you referring to exclusives? There are still a bunch of good PS3 exclusives. But I guess my point is that most of the big titles are on both systems. I couldn't recommend a system to someone that I knew would probably fail in the first year.
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on June 26, 2008, 11:03:49 PM

I've been fortunate enough to have only had 1 xbox 360 go belly up, but based upon these topics in numerous forums I'm starting to think I may go with the PS3 for my multi-platform games. And that is a real same since I prefer the 360's controller.

After going through 5 different 360's I've already joined the PS3 bandwagon.  I picked one up in May.  Granted my 360 is still running, but I had some interesting conversations with my Microsoft handler during my last repair process.  It turns out after so many repeat repairs, Microsoft assigns you your own handler.  They actually call you every few days to give you status updates.  However she did mention something that I found interesting.  She asked if my 360 was plugged directly into the wall, or was it plugged into a surge protector.  She said that it clearly states in the manual that a 360 has it's own internal surge protector so adding another one will cause power issues and cause the unit to fail.  She also threw the stat at me that only 4% of 360's ever need to be repaired twice.  That caused my BS alarms to go off so I took everything she said with a grain of salt.

For the first week I had my unit isolated to it's own power outlet without issue.  I plugged it back into the surge protector as a test.  The S.O.B. locked up the first game I tried to play.  I plugged it back into its isolated outlet.  I haven't had an issue since.  Hmm... maybe they're on to something.

Either way I'm still buying PS3 only for multi platform games.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2008, 02:49:33 PM »

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on June 27, 2008, 02:27:31 PM

However she did mention something that I found interesting.  She asked if my 360 was plugged directly into the wall, or was it plugged into a surge protector.  She said that it clearly states in the manual that a 360 has it's own internal surge protector so adding another one will cause power issues and cause the unit to fail.  She also threw the stat at me that only 4% of 360's ever need to be repaired twice.  That caused my BS alarms to go off so I took everything she said with a grain of salt.

I sure as hell ain't plugging any piece of delicate (PC, game console, TV, power cord, etc) electronics directly into a wall socket. And the people at Microsoft should realize that. That's gotta be total BS on their part, short of trying to pass the blame on to somebody else.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »

Err whats BS about it? You know more about the 360 hardware than MS does?

If the 360 has its own surge protector then well...it does. Then again regardless of facts I guess some people will slam MS no matter what.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on June 27, 2008, 03:09:05 PM

Err whats BS about it? You know more about the 360 hardware than MS does?

If the 360 has its own surge protector then well...it does. Then again regardless of facts I guess some people will slam MS no matter what.

1. I seriously doubt the 360 has a "built in surge protector". These are the same people that can't make the damn thing work well in the first place, do you trust THEM to be able to take care of surges?

2. Regardless of whether it has one or not, plugging it into a surge protected power strip will not make it more likely to fail.

3. People aren't "slamming MS no matter what", they are slamming them for being unable to adequately build an expensive piece of hardware, THEN, when it does break, they either (A) don't fix it well, (B) don't accomodate the customers delivery wishes, or (C) try to push the blame BACK onto the customer, a REALLY big no-no in the minds of many.

Microsoft has lied a lot in the past, why are you willing to believe them when they say plugging it into a surge protector can make it break? I thought the whole "don't plug it into a surge protector" thing was totally debunked?

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2008, 06:25:15 PM »

Poked around on the web and found the 360 manual. assets.xbox.com/en-us/support/na-console-full.pdf

It states:

Do not overload your wall outlet,
extension cord, power strip, or other
electrical receptacle. Confirm that they
are rated to handle the total current (in
amps [A]) drawn by the Xbox 360
console (indicated on the power supply
unit) and any other devices that are on
the same circuit.

Seems to me that regardless of Microsoft's Surge Protector claim, they have no issue with people using other means of plugging the system into the wall. Trust me, if they let you use a common extension cord or power strip, a surge protector isn't going to matter.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »

Quote from: jblank
*what jblank said*

That was the point I was trying to get across. Remember - I own all the consoles, and spend quite a bit of time on each one (well, short of the Wii anyway). I just found it so disappointing that the 360 is basically a made-to-fail piece of junk. If it didn't have such great games for it...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »

https://eshiponline.purolator.com/ShipOnline/Public/Track/TrackingDetails.aspx?pin=82074290493

Here comes #8. I demanded a new one, we'll see how that goes. Also, they gave me a 1 year warranty on whatever they sent me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »

Well mine went out yesterday.  I got Bourne Identity in the mail, plugged it in, locked up a few times and eventually got the RROD.

Damn, thought I would be one of the lucky ones.

Right on time with madden!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »

#8 going back out; refurb that has bad fan-whine and games on disk are choppy.

Whee!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 31, 2008, 12:50:16 PM

Whee!

Thank goodness they gave you the 1 week year warranty.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2008, 03:02:33 PM »

Whee!

icon_eek

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2008, 03:53:43 AM »

So tonight, I'm bored and i'm looking at my bookmarks and I see my xbox 360 log where tracks your accomplishments and your play time.  As mentioned last night, my I received the 3 rings of death.

So I load it up, and this is what it says

Thought that was funny considering that's the day it blew up.

And I wouldn't consider I "turned on the juice and did some serious gaming"  All I was able to do was watch the intro, and watch the game lock up everytime I press the Y button.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2008, 02:10:58 PM »

Whee!

That is unreal. They should give you 2 brand new ones for the crap they have put you through.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2008, 02:19:05 PM »

Quote from: jblank on August 01, 2008, 02:10:58 PM

Whee!
That is unreal. They should give you 2 brand new ones for the crap they have put you through.

Why? People apparently put up with it. People continue to buy games, pay money for Live service, etc. Why should they compensate you for their craptastic hardware as long as you continue to spend money?

This is one reason why I don't do much gaming on my 360 anymore. It also doesn't help that my console is a noisy fucking piece of shit.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »

It's still the best game experience IMHO. Better library of games (BC on PS3 is now nil... I'm not dropping half a grand for a 60GB on ebay), and the best online experience. Plus I'm not paying for the disservice. At this time though I am in talks with the support team for compensation.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2008, 05:57:30 PM »

I'm probably the only person to not have a problem yet with my 360-probably has something to do with my never owning one biggrin
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2008, 07:39:03 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 01, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

I'm probably the only person to not have a problem yet with my 360-probably has something to do with my never owning one biggrin

i think of non-360 ownership as the ultimate extended warranty, myself...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2008, 04:02:02 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 01, 2008, 02:19:05 PM

Quote from: jblank on August 01, 2008, 02:10:58 PM

Whee!

Why? People apparently put up with it. People continue to buy games, pay money for Live service, etc. Why should they compensate you for their craptastic hardware as long as you continue to spend money?

This is one reason why I don't do much gaming on my 360 anymore. It also doesn't help that my console is a noisy fucking piece of shit.

It was a bit of hyperbole, I was just joking around.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2008, 04:57:49 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 01, 2008, 07:39:03 PM

I agree. Abstinence is the best form of birth control. Let me know how that works out for ya .. Tongue

lakers1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »

I am still having my weird problem; I can't remember whether I posted it here or OO.

Basically got the RROD about 2-3 months ago. Called it in. But it mostly kept working. So I never sent it as they got me a bit worried by telling me if they couldn't replicate the problem they wouldn't fix it. Occasionally (about 8 times over that period) it would RROD on start-up but if I turned it on later all good. Interestingly it is now as quiet as a church mouse and if I plug in the Nyko intercooler and restart (which I had removed when this started) it RRODs every time.

Anyway 3 days ago RROD. But this time no joy on waiting so I figured that this was it finally. So I called it in again yesterday. Did the troubleshooting with the (very pleasant) customer person. Still no joy. Got the email with the postage label (we have to send it in ourselves in New Zealand). Found a box and some packaging. Decided to turn it on and hey presto, working.

Big GH2 & GH3 session yesterday afternoon. Still working. Turn it on this morning, working. Son now playing POTC.

I don't know what to do.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »

Send it in, it's on them to reproduce the problem, not you.  Remember that they're backs are to the wall right now legally because if they deny you, even if you clearly have the RROD, they get sued and nasty articles appear online.

Oh, and buy a PS3.  slywink
lakers1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2008, 11:25:09 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 02, 2008, 11:16:39 PM

Send it in, it's on them to reproduce the problem, not you.  Remember that they're backs are to the wall right now legally because if they deny you, even if you clearly have the RROD, they get sued and nasty articles appear online.

Oh, and buy a PS3.  slywink

Yes you are probably right.

Don't want to de-rail but I do have a PS3 - which raises the interesting question of which version of Rock band to get (we still don't have the 1st one yet - don't get me started). I have 2 360 guitars and wasn't going to shell out for the RB guitar (and would have to buy a second for co-op play).

But I do wonder whether I should get the PS3 version instead and suck up the cost.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2008, 01:49:24 AM »

Quote from: Purge on August 02, 2008, 04:57:49 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on August 01, 2008, 07:39:03 PM

I agree. Abstinence is the best form of birth control. Let me know how that works out for ya .. Tongue

were the 360 the only girl in town, it could definitely present a problem. but then again, considering how often your's is on the rag, you're probably as in the know re: abstinence as anyone smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2008, 02:07:45 AM »

Who says I don't believe in polygamy? Tongue

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2008, 04:06:50 AM »

Quote from: Purge on August 03, 2008, 02:07:45 AM

guess i just prefer mine well-built slywink ...

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2008, 01:16:25 AM »

Mine just took a dive today.  crybaby
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2008, 03:04:37 AM »

Quote from: naednek on July 31, 2008, 12:39:59 PM

Well mine went out yesterday.  I got Bourne Identity in the mail, plugged it in, locked up a few times and eventually got the RROD.

Damn, thought I would be one of the lucky ones.

Right on time with madden!

Looks like mine shipped back to me on Friday or Saturday.  Hopefully I'll have it soon so I can play some madden. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2008, 04:54:04 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 03, 2008, 04:06:50 AM

Quote from: Purge on August 03, 2008, 02:07:45 AM

guess i just prefer mine well-built slywink ...

Oh, I do to.

As a matter of fact I had almost had a PS3; but that didn't go the way I had hoped.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2008, 01:00:20 AM »

Finally received my replacement.  I got a new xbox, and it was built on my birthday smile

It's only 1.5 months old.  Awesome!
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2008, 02:19:31 AM »

Mine is on its way back to me.  UPS said it'll get here Friday.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: