http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:20:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have re-joined the RRoD Fraternity  (Read 8790 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »

Yup, last night, got the RRoD 3 times in a 1 hour span of trying to play R6V2. Called Microsoft, actually got a person that spoke great English, and the coffin is inbound. according to Keith, the 360 tech guy I spoke to, from coffin arrival, to replacement 360 (or repairs to mine) is just about 2 weeks now.....but I will believe that when I see it.

I always hated reading the posts you guys made about problems, dreading the inevitable demise of my own 360, but at least I have my sons I can use as a spare. Still doesn't feel to good, does it?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:50:29 PM by jblank » Logged

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:00:47 PM »

yeah, i wish it would only be a 2 week turnaround.  mine ate it yesterday too. 

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »

wow, what crappy timing.  i was annoyed enough missing out on the first week of r6v2, and i didn't get mine back for almost a month.  i wish you a very sincere wish of good luck, but if i were you, i wouldn't expect to see it returned for some time.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »

My recent turnaround was about 2 weeks.

I made the call, coffin on April 1, shipped it back on the 3rd, had it back in my hands on the 18th...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 06:09:41 PM »

i wonder if calling makes any difference.  i used the web site because it was easier. 

entered the ticket, got the box a few days later,  shipped next day, took 9 days to make it to tx, ~ a week to 'fix' it and then 9 days to send it back.  for that, i get a month of live.  woohoo.   icon_confused

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »

Sucks frown
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »

ouch, 5 days out from GTA4 too.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 24, 2008, 06:21:43 PM

Yup if my 360 went down today, I'd be buying a backup unit ASAP.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »

He has his son's to use as a spare, so if he wants GTA4, he can buy it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 06:29:32 PM »

Luckily, I preordered mine for the PS3, so this won't impact that.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 06:39:46 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 24, 2008, 06:29:32 PM

Must be scared of Hark. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 06:48:22 PM »

FWIW I had a 360 RRoD last month.  Total turnaround from entering the case on the website to getting the 360 back was 9 days.   Now I fear my other 360 (replaced once before in Feb of 07) is starting to go bad again.  I occasionally get lockups while playing Rock Band. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 06:49:41 PM »

sorry to hear about your 360 jblank.  I have a contingency plan in place in case mine goes belly up for GTA IV (and no, it doesn't involve the PSTrips).  MUsT CARJaCk PETeROcK!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »

Had mine go RROD'd up several months ago.  Took about a month for the whole process.

I just think it's kind of ironic - you send in faulty hardware...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 06:56:16 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 24, 2008, 06:05:17 PM

wow, what crappy timing.  i was annoyed enough missing out on the first week of r6v2, and i didn't get mine back for almost a month.  i wish you a very sincere wish of good luck, but if i were you, i wouldn't expect to see it returned for some time.

Well thanks Caine, I appreciate that. Yeah, I'm skeptical about the 2 week turnaround.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 06:57:17 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on April 24, 2008, 06:39:46 PM

Quote from: jblank on April 24, 2008, 06:29:32 PM

Must be scared of Hark. slywink

Nah, thats just in Call of Duty 4. smile

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 07:11:13 PM »

Amazing that this is still going on.  The 360 was launched, what, two and a half years ago, and yet these threads still show up with disturbing frequency.  And MS's pathetic excuse for customer service is the same as it ever was.  Unthinkable, especially now that the PS3 is proving itself a worthy competitor.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 07:37:24 PM »

Yeah if my 360 died during GTA4 week I would just play the game on the PS3 while waiting for my 360 to come back. The PS3 is an excellent back up system, like having a spare car incase your main ride is in the shop.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 07:53:48 PM »

I got mine back today.  Two weeks to the day from when I sent it out.  Add on about three days to get the coffin, that's all.

YMMV of course.

How old was yours jblank?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 10:19:41 PM »

Damn, sorry to hear that jblank.

My last 360 death came the night before Rock Band and Mass Effect were released.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 12:17:03 AM »

Quote from: kathode on April 24, 2008, 07:53:48 PM

I got mine back today.  Two weeks to the day from when I sent it out.  Add on about three days to get the coffin, that's all.

YMMV of course.

How old was yours jblank?

Mine has a build date of March 3, 2006, so it lasted over 2 years. All things considered, and I can't believe I am saying this, that's pretty good.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 01:49:21 AM »

This is sickening to read. The failure rate of these things must be close to 100% over a 2 to 3 year period. It seems like everyone on here has had theirs die. I've been teetering on a PS3 purchase anyway, and I think if my 360 RROD's, I'd probably get a PS3 that same day.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 03:47:44 AM »

It's a damned fucking shame. This is going down in the history books.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 10:38:47 PM »

That really stinks.  Mine took 2 weeks to get back.  However, while the hardware is crap, I've had nothing but great experiences with the customer service.  It's just ridiculous how many times I've had to use it.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 11:49:29 PM »

For what it's worth, on my last one (my 3rd) last month I tried the towel trick and it worked great - let me play the 360 a couple more days while I waited for the box to show up.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 12:24:08 AM »

This is sickening to read. The failure rate of these things must be close to 100% over a 2 to 3 year period. It seems like everyone on here has had theirs die. I've been teetering on a PS3 purchase anyway, and I think if my 360 RROD's, I'd probably get a PS3 that same day.

I'm one of those people that waited to buy the 360 and I would have eventually bought it, but the RRoD combined with my purchase of a PS3 has made it a no purchase for me. I don't regret going PS3 and PC at all.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »

One question, does Microsoft send you a tracking number for delivery when they ship the console back to me? Also, do you guys know of anyone that has gotten their original console back, or is it a refurb every time?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 03:19:31 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 29, 2008, 03:11:50 PM

One question, does Microsoft send you a tracking number for delivery when they ship the console back to me? Also, do you guys know of anyone that has gotten their original console back, or is it a refurb every time?

Much to my annoyance, I got my original back.  I can't remember if MS sent me a tracking number or I had to find out about it on their website but I definitely knew it was enroute, though I didn't realize that they would mandate signature confirmation for delivery. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 29, 2008, 03:11:50 PM

Can anyone else share their experience on this?

ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »

I'm on my 5th 360 so I have some experience in this arena.  The first order of business is to regester your console on xbox.com.  That will allow you to track the repair status from their website.  They do provide tracking numbers for the return trip on there, plus you'll get to see your new serial number once they issue your new console to you.  If you haven't registered and are already in the repair process you're pretty much stuck with calling them back every 3-4 days after they recieve the console for an update.

As far as recieving the same one you sent in, that's only happened to me once (the last time).  I guess it all depends on the repair needed.  RROD's are pretty much guarenteed a different unit.  Where it gets iffy is whether you'll get a "new" unit or a refurb.  I've gotten a few "new" units, but the one I'm on now is actually older than my purchased one. 

Good luck, welcome to the club.   disgust
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »

Quote from: ArmyOfOne on April 30, 2008, 04:09:12 PM

I'm on my 5th 360 so I have some experience in this arena.  The first order of business is to regester your console on xbox.com.  That will allow you to track the repair status from their website.  They do provide tracking numbers for the return trip on there, plus you'll get to see your new serial number once they issue your new console to you.  If you haven't registered and are already in the repair process you're pretty much stuck with calling them back every 3-4 days after they recieve the console for an update.

As far as recieving the same one you sent in, that's only happened to me once (the last time).  I guess it all depends on the repair needed.  RROD's are pretty much guarenteed a different unit.  Where it gets iffy is whether you'll get a "new" unit or a refurb.  I've gotten a few "new" units, but the one I'm on now is actually older than my purchased one. 

Good luck, welcome to the club.   disgust

LOL, thanks.

My console is registered and I checked and sure enough, there is the info for my repair. I just wanted to make sure I got a tracking number for the return trip because I am gonna have to make sure I am there to sign for it when UPS brings it back.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »

For all of mine, UPS has called and left an automated message the night before delivery.

gellar
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »

Wow, really? That's nice of them. Maybe they can do the same for me.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »

Got mine back last night. Haven't hooked it up yet, but its definitely the same unit I had before. Not sure that is a good thing, but, as long as it works and works PERFECTLY, from this point forward, I will be happy. Turnaround time was pretty darn quick, so I give them props for that.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »

Well, one month and 12 days later........it's broken again. RRoD City baby, hell yeah!!!!!!!

"Mallory" informed me, in a rather smart assed manner, that it is possibly not my console this time, but rather my HDD (which is BS). I informed her that I have used two HDD's and even turned it on WITHOUT A HDD IN IT, and it still gives me the RRoD.

What pisses me off is that they admitted an RRoD problem, which means (I assume) that they know what causes it, so why are they not able to FIX THEM, when they get them back? Are they just getting these RRoD 360's back and  shipping them to someone else? I'm seriously considering doing what I once though was unthinkable, getting my 360 repaired and sent back, THEN, taking it, my accessories, and all my games, and putting them right up on ebay, and going exclusively PS3. Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves, I am very disappointed.

Oh well, back to sharing my sons for another 3 weeks.  thumbsdown
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:58:49 PM by jblank » Logged

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 10:01:48 PM »

What pisses me off is the shit way they treat their customers.  There is simply no reason that they can't take a credit card number and drop ship a replacement so that you're out an xbox for 3 days rather than 2 weeks.  I mean, even EA does that for the poorly constructed Rock Band peripherals.  Most reputable retailers will do that for other hardware.  Considering how colossal the 360 RRoD clusterfuck is, you'd think that MS would bend over backwards to avoid unnecessarily inconveniencing their loyal customers.  Especially now that the PS3 is holding its own.  Look, I love my 360, but I cannot, in good consience, recommend it to friends of mine that are deciding between the PS3 and the 360.

Including this one, there are three different threads about 360s going tits up right now, on this forum, on the first page alone.  This far into the system's lifecycle, that is really preposterous.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:05:38 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 26, 2008, 10:01:48 PM

What pisses me off is the shit way they treat their customers.  There is simply no reason that they can't take a credit card number and drop ship a replacement so that you're out an xbox for 3 days rather than 2 weeks.  I mean, even EA does that for the poorly constructed Rock Band peripherals.  Most reputable retailers will do that for other hardware.  Considering how colossal the 360 RRoD clusterfuck is, you'd think that MS would bend over backwards to avoid unnecessarily inconveniencing their loyal customers.  Especially now that the PS3 is holding its own.  Look, I love my 360, but I cannot, in good consience, recommend it to friends of mine that are deciding between the PS3 and the 360.

Including this one, there are three different threads about 360s going tits up right now, on this forum, on the first page alone.  This far into the system's lifecycle, that is really preposterous.

Yeah but EA charges you $120 for a plastic drum pedal just to make sure you ship it back.  At that rate of exchange Microsoft would have to charge $800 to ensure that they get their equipment back.  I don't think it is realistic to expect them to drop ship a new 360 everytime someone calls about a repair that they can only verify over the phone.  I know, f*ck EA, f*ck Microsoft and all that.  But come on now.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 11:03:49 PM »

I've been fortunate enough to have only had 1 xbox 360 go belly up, but based upon these topics in numerous forums I'm starting to think I may go with the PS3 for my multi-platform games. And that is a real same since I prefer the 360's controller.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 11:24:01 PM »

I agree with Ike 100%, and again, I am absolutely STUNNED, that even today, they can't even take a busted 360 back and FIX IT, so that it works and won't RRoD again. If they know the problem, why can't they adequately repair them?

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 11:38:03 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 26, 2008, 10:29:28 PM

Yeah but EA charges you $120 for a plastic drum pedal just to make sure you ship it back.  At that rate of exchange Microsoft would have to charge $800 to ensure that they get their equipment back.  I don't think it is realistic to expect them to drop ship a new 360 everytime someone calls about a repair that they can only verify over the phone.  I know, f*ck EA, f*ck Microsoft and all that.  But come on now.

But so what?  I would rather them charge me $800 and credit my account when they receive my 360 back, and be without an xbox for 3 days, than have to wait on the 2-3 week turnaround time.  I don't understand why you think that's not realistic.  It's a bit more of a hassle for Microsoft, but c'mon, it's been 3 years, and these things are still failing left and right.

Gamertag = IkeV
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: