http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 04:03:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have purged.......TIME TO BINGE!!!!  (Read 2619 times)
stimpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2005, 08:31:53 PM »

I know this has been discussed before, but I figured it's ok to ask since the hype has died down.
Today I had a garage sale and made ALOT of my fellow neighborhood geeks very happy. I sold a ton of old systems and games. Now I sit with a wad of cash, with an eye on FINALLY buying a handheld. I have never even tried any of them. So.....what is the best portable gaming system bang for my buck? I am not into the Mario ot Tetris type games too much. I dig a good dungeon crawl, golf, FPS. Something that will keep me interested in it for awhile. Something that has a good choice of games.
So I am open to any type, new or old, just as long as it has legs and I wont regret buying it. I have rid myself of the old. I am ready to move onto mobile gaming, even if it is with an older system. Whatever the best way to go is.....What do ya think?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 08:40:12 PM »

I know I'll probably be the only one in here to say it but I LOVE my PSP.

I'm finally able to play sports games on a handheld.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »

stimpy - golf fan and youre even ?ing which to get... all i can say is - tiger woods, near ps2 looks and yes, legs included!  get the damn psp smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 09:38:40 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I know I'll probably be the only one in here to say it but I LOVE my PSP.

I'm finally able to play sports games on a handheld.

I'll be the first to admit the PSP is a great system.  Problem is, unless you are really into sports games, there are no great games for it right now.  That's why I sold mine.  If your genre of choice is RPG's, then the future is particularly bleak and you'd be far better off with a GBA or DS.  There are some fantastic RPG and SRPG's for that platform.

I have no doubt that I'll buy a PSP again once the library is stronger and the price drops.  Right now, however, it was a $250 paperweight.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 09:59:08 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
stimpy - golf fan and youre even ?ing which to get... all i can say is - tiger woods, near ps2 looks and yes, legs included!  get the damn psp smile

I'd have to say Mario Golf for the GBA is the best golf game on a handheld right now.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 10:56:11 PM »

Mario is good, but not as good as HSG.

Gratch - I admit that, other than sports, the PSP library is pretty thin but wouldn't you think some of the RPGs and SRPGs that are the strength of the PS2 start making  their way over? Don't know for sure but it seems logical.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 11:05:53 PM »

My PSP has helped me through many an airport wait and boring flight.

gellar
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 11:07:34 PM »

Touch Golf for the DS was shown at E3.  If I remember right, it was supposed to be pretty fun.  Check out a trailer here.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 11:12:14 PM »

The PSP is one sexy piece of hardware and has tons of potential, but the announced game lineup is mysteriously pretty barren for the next 6 months.  The DS is starting to get its second wave of good games, and with heavyweights like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi 2, and New Super Mario Bros (plus the ability to play all those great GBA games that are available right now), I think the DS is the current handheld to get if you can only choose one.

I've played my DS about 50x more than my PSP, but of all that DS time I'm guessing that 95% of it was spent playing GBA games.  Damn FFTA...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 11:40:11 PM »

Gratch - I admit that, other than sports, the PSP library is pretty thin but wouldn't you think some of the RPGs and SRPGs that are the strength of the PS2 start making  their way over? Don't know for sure but it seems logical.

The problem is nothing is announced so anyone buying a PSP for RPGs is buying on hope as there is very little forthcoming in that genre this year.  Considering the lack of announcements at E3, it will likely be next year or so before we start to see some major RPG releases.  

I've also heard some rumors that Sony is very much frowning up straight up ports of PS2 games.  I understand their reasoning and applaud their push for original content.  Unfortunately thats also going to hamper development for some time- supposedly the costs for developing a new PSP game are substantially higher than a DS or GBA game so publishers are reluctant until it reaches higher market penetration.  That presents some chicken before the egg issues.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 12:02:58 AM »

Not bashing the DS at all - I do have one but I rarely use it. The wife LOVES Zoo Keeper and Kirby though!

I hear you guys on the lack of announcements for upcoming PSP games but Sony frowning on ports is something you've gotta laugh at. How many of the current Sony PSP games are ports? All but Untold Legends?

I usually beat up on Nintendo for re-hashing everything they've ever done (wooohooo Mario Kart again!), but this is a little different simply due to the fact that Sony has never had the opportunity to bring games to a handheld.

I would imagine we'd be seeing some of the PS2 RPGs sooner rather than later but like these guys said they seem to be pretty quiet.

So you might not get all the PS2 RPGs on the PSP but you'll never get
sports on a DS like you already can with on a PSP.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 12:12:29 AM »

I hear you guys on the lack of announcements for upcoming PSP games but Sony frowning on ports is something you've gotta laugh at. How many of the current Sony PSP games are ports? All but Untold Legends?

Well there is a difference between a port and original content from the same IP- I can't speak to the sports games but Metal Gear Acid, Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, and NFSU: Rivals are all new games in existing franchises.  Sony doesn't have an issue with that- it would be silly to put the kibosh on popular IPs but they are pushing devs to bring something new to the table when putting those IPs on the PSP.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 12:13:49 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Right now, however, it was a $250 paperweight.

right now, mine is a $250 paperweight (with death jr almost 2 months away)...

i'd have to say ds (even tho i don't own one), if for no other reason than the large number of gba games, all of which will look better than they do on my sp (still the bang-for-the-buck champion of'm all - & cube compatible)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 12:19:32 AM »

Kevin - I was actually thinking of the Sony published games. MLB, NHL, Hot Shots etc. All ports but Untold Legends...I think. Which is why I thought it was ironic that they would frown on ports by other companies but it would be OK for them.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 12:45:13 AM »

Ah, got it- good point too.  I don't keep up with sports games.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 01:24:38 AM »

I don't own either, but if I was to choose a system today it would probably be the Nintendo DS simply because of the promising games coming up.  I think Sony REALLY dropped the ball at E3 both at their pre-E3 conference (no PSP games were shown...it was all PS3, PS3, PS3! with a sprinkle of FFXII) and at E3 itself (where was the coverage of upcoming games...are there any good ones?).

Nintendo actually chose to show off DS games at their pre-E3 conference and they seemed to be front and center on the game show floor from what I heard.  Yes, most of the good-looking games are coming from Nintendo, but there is the Castlevania game upcoming from Konami that I can think of off the top of my head.

You can get the DS for $150 and have $100 to spend on games (you can get possibly a few since most games are $29.99 and some push $34.99 and $39.99) and that would equal the price of the base PSP available now.  However, you have to be into Nintendo games versus the more mainstream-friendly PSP games (what little there are out there).

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 02:11:41 AM »

Mario is good, but not as good as HSG.

I would think it's logical as well, but there seems to be a near complete silence in regards to upcoming RPG's.  Had there been even a shred of information that something was coming, I might have held onto mine.  As it is, there is nothing coming in the next 6 months that I can honestly say I'm interested in.  The only two I even know of are Y's (which was horrid on the PS2) and a 'Tales of' game (which I've never cared for).  Lame.

The promotion of the PSP is really strange so far.  You'd think that with the launch of such a sexy gadget, Sony would really be pushing developers to get something...anything...out for it.   It's almost like they're counting on the multimedia capabilities to carry the device, which I think is pretty risky.   If it's truly a gaming platform, get some damn games out already!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 02:28:55 AM »

I hear you - It's like Sony doesn't want to tell anyone about the PSP.

I figured I'd be alone in picking the PSP over the DS but again, as a sports gamer, there really isn't a choice.

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 02:56:05 AM »

I have MONEY that Sony will do somethign big with the PSP within a month or two.  They wanted to show off the PS3 and kill some of the 360's thunder.  But they know the DS may/should/is win/winning the handheld war with a better selection of games and Sony will bring the customers what they want. hopefully sooner rather than later.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 01:37:13 PM »

I've learned the hard way that you don't buy systems on what you think might happen. Go with what is proven or atleast has given you enough information to know that you'll be taken care of.

You look at the last half of the year for the DS and it's packed with a lot of good games, some really interesting and original games and what looks like a lot of games with some serious depth.

Heck you'll have a portable Europa Universalis II as well as a couple of other Strategy First titles.  On top of that we know that there are a lot of RPGs that have been announced and are in Development. Their are some decent sports games, but no where near as nice as the PSP games, and the FPS games will be coming.

I chose DS for three games, Another Code now called Trace Memory, which is an point and click type adventure game, Lost in Blue, where you're stranded on an island with one other  person and you have to survive and eventually get off, and Castlevania DS. Now I'll be getting over 10 more games than that, and I've already owned 5 games.

Like others have said, once the PSP library gets stronger and comes down in price it will be worth jumping on. Right now it reminds me of when the PS2 first came out and everyone was jumping on every coming release like it was the next coming, eventhough it really took a year to get any truly solid titles.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 03:42:56 PM »

I love my PSP, but more as a media player, and for a game of FIFA. Emulation is pretty good, but still at a pretty basic stage. Upcoming games are a little lacklustre, both Burnout and GTA are remakes of previous versions. Yeah I know that GTA has new missions, but I know liberty city like the back of hand (to be honest a lot better, as I have no idea about the back of my hand), and the fun of a GTA is exploration. I'm pretty sure that the DS is great gaming machine, but I'd have to get it back from my wife, whose addicted to Yoshi. Kirby is supposed to be great, but I have no idea when it's coming to Europe, and Another Code is just out here. Although the reviews haven't been great. I say we will have a better idea at XMas, but at the moment the PSP is mainly going to be used for watching tv and homebrew. And with the huge success of the DS, I wonder if it's worth losing that ability when Sony seem to be concentrating on P3.

That's my incoherent thoughts for today.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 05:18:30 PM »

Now, I'd like to start off with saying this isn't Sony bashing, and I'll likely own a PS3 as well as Xbox360. I don't currently own a portable, however I do have a few GBA games and a cube with the adapter.

As I see it, Sony has picked a horrible time to walk out into the handheld gaming. They're months behind the DS, and with the DS second wave games coming it's going to stagger their PSP front. (1.5-2nd wave games are the system defining ones; look at the PS2 for historical reference). Just as they should be pushing their games forward with their own 1.5-2nd wave games, they're staring down the barrel of Free Xbox live, low price point Xbox360, and the weak legs of the PS2.

Next year, DS3rd wave hits and (hopefully) have a better shot at the 2nd screen development which will make the product shine. Nintendo is famous for creating Fads that rake in the coin; I expect no less from the DS. (plus it has the GBA library to help it along). Who knows, we may even see a redesign of the DS. Sony is ramping up for PLAYSTATION3 (trademark, apparently you are required to type it only in CAPS). Since they're also needing to dedicate market focus to the PSP's lineup, as well as counter MS's barrage of new games, their camp is divided on two new fronts, both of which are late to market.

The PSP would stand a much better chance if the UMD market was there, and any DVD releases came with the free UMD version with it, or if their multimedia was more robust (reencoding MP3s and videos for PSP is lame and well beyond the open-mouth-breathing mainstream masses). It's a bad time for Sony to be dictating media standards, as they aren't the unstoppable juggernaut they once were. Sony video files, reencoded MP3s, UMD, Memory Stick and Blu-Ray are three shaky fronts that don't add up. They *could* soar, but with 3 non-standards besides Sony, they're likely to take a bath on at least one front. Open adoption of industry standards would make the PSP an easier pill to swallow.

If someone said to me "Justin, you're buying a PSP or DS right NOW." I'd say "hand me the DS, and 3 games, please. "

FTR: Untold Legends *is* a port... of Gauntlet. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2005, 03:17:33 PM »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
I think I have narrowed it down to getting a Nintendo system.
My only other question would ne, is the DS necessary or would I be just as happy for now going with the GBA SP? Reason I ask is some places have the GBA on sale for like $80, whereas the DS is going for $150?
Is it worth the extra for the DS?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2005, 03:57:19 PM »

Quote from: "stimpy"

Probably, as the screens are better. Besides, touching is good. smile You're talking about buying a ~4 year old product, or buying their new product which will support the GBA massive library. I'd suggest the DS for the cool new stuff. 70 bux ain't bad over the old GBA. If you want to get a GBA I'd suggest getting a used one; they're even cheaper.

Oh, btw: I love the subject title. heh.

- Purge: The Demon Within

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2005, 05:49:57 PM »

I would say yes for a couple of reasons:

- Visuals and sound for GBA games are substantially better on the DS.  

- Many of the best GBA games are getting sequels for the DS.  You don't want to play a GBA game that you love and then not be able to play the sequel because its DS only.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2005, 08:05:13 PM »

Is there I site I can go to that has a list of all the games available for the different systems?
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2005, 08:21:11 PM »

Try ;

http://www.gamefaqs.com/

I'd recommend the DS as well, as most games look a lot better. The only problem is that old games can sound awful. But after owning the DS, it is hard to go back to the GBA.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2005, 08:50:51 PM »

Is there I site I can go to that has a list of all the games available for the different systems?

Uh, how about using the CONSOLEGOLD.COM search engine??

Here's a link

It's available from every page that's not on the forums. Click on the "advanced search" blue text near the top right corner of the site.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 12:38:53 AM »

I think I have narrowed it down to getting a Nintendo system.

I'm sure you have a great time with it...for a few hours!  :wink:

stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2005, 05:48:31 PM »

Went to my brothers for his son's graduation party this weekend.
My nephew had a PSP. All I can say is, if that is the biggest, best screen, I'm in trouble. I have worn glasses all my life and the peepers aint gettin any better as I approach 40. The game he had was Untold Legends and man was I struggling to see and play it. This scares me. How does the DS screen compare in size and quality?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2005, 08:31:40 PM »

The DS has 2 screens. They are smaller than the PSP's.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 10:26:02 PM »

Quote from: "JCC"
The DS has 2 screens. They are smaller than the PSP's.

however, the DS isn't trying to get a ~850x480 screen res on a 2" screen either. The fact is, the PSP screen is not the clearest video out there; it's just the best portable screen for a handheld.

I found the screen to offer too much ghosting in rapid combat, and untold legends required some patience with the display.

::shrug:: From a technical standpoint, PSP. From a gaming standpoint, PSP ain't there yet, and Nintendo is a pretty safe bet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: