http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:35:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have joined the Fraternity (360).  (Read 6286 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2009, 03:04:28 AM »

Well, it finally happened.  My launch 360 bit the big one last night, and now has RROD, and is well outside of even the 3 year warranty.  probably going t obe a while before I can afford a new one, too. frown
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 03:42:16 AM »

Sweet, we haven't had this thread in hours!

Also, that sucks.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »

When I 1st read what you wrote I wanted to write "well at least you got 3 years out of it." Then I thought of my Gamecube (7+ years) and Xbox (6 years) and think it's BS that a console doesn't even last it's generation. It's just so odd to hear someone actually made it through the warranty period without a RROD. I guess if there's anything positive that can be put on this, it's that your cost of replacement, if you're content with a 20gb HD, will be 1/2 of what you originally paid. Making anything positive out of this, is admittedly a bit of a stretch though.  icon_confused
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:04:49 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 04, 2009, 03:01:31 PM

When I 1st read what you wrote I wanted to write "well at least you got 3 years out of it." Then I thought of my Gamecube (7+ years) and Xbox (6 years) and think it's BS that a console doesn't even last it's generation. It's just so odd to hear someone actually made it through the warranty period without a RROD. I guess if there's anything positive that can be put on this, it's that your cost of replacement, if you're content with a 20gb HD, will be 1/2 of what you originally paid. Making anything positive out of this, is admittedly a bit of a stretch though.  icon_confused

Your current HD would still work, so you definitely wouldn't need anything more than the 20GB.  Do they still sell 360s with no HDD?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »

Yeah, and it's not much more expensive than repairing this one through MS;  $140 for repair, $199 for new.  Just can't afford it.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 08:19:41 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on May 04, 2009, 06:19:50 PM

Yeah, and it's not much more expensive than repairing this one through MS;  $140 for repair, $199 for new.  Just can't afford it.

Dell seems to have frequent sales on the Xbox 360. The price usually drops as low as $159 for the entry model. Its happened twice this year already. Hopefully one will turn up again soon.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »

I have a spare 20g model. It works, I just bought a 60g cause I wanted HDMI and a bigger HD. It's almost 2 years old, if you're interested.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:21:17 PM »

Sorry to hear that Zarkon!  I have two launch units, both of which survived past warranty date - one of which had a failing HD, the other had a failing console.  I got an Arcade unit and a 60 GB hard drive which fixed them both.  That leaves me with an extra console and HD - which never went all the way to RRoD.  One unit would just shut down due to overheating, but prior to damaging the HD.

There are places on the 'net that sell (I think for about $30) repair manuals "guaranteed" to fix your RRoD 360.  If you decide to try one of those, and need spare parts - you are welcome to either (or both) of the two "halves" that I'm not using now.  Just PM or email me.  nod

I've been playing my DS a lot lately, but really don't think I could bear to be without a 360 for very long. so be sure to ask if any of this can help you... and Good Luck! 

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 09:53:51 PM »

Have you called the support number?  I did that and they fixed mine for free.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 09:57:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 04, 2009, 03:04:49 PM

Quote from: kronovan on May 04, 2009, 03:01:31 PM

Your current HD would still work, so you definitely wouldn't need anything more than the 20GB.  Do they still sell 360s with no HDD?

The $200 Arcade SKU is still sold in the US and Canada. Unfortunately it no longer comes bundled with lego Indy and Kung Fu Panda. There is however an arcade bundle with Sega Superstars Tennis -meh- and 5 XBLA games; 3 of which are decent.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:02:28 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 10:01:41 PM »

Quote from: Graham on May 04, 2009, 09:53:51 PM

Have you called the support number?  I did that and they fixed mine for free.

Yeah it's always worth a call. They are after all in competition with Nintendo, who seems to replace units with no questions asked.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »

For what it's worth, when mine died I did the towel trick so I could still use it while I waited for the box to get shipped to me from MS (which took almost 4 weeks  thumbsdown) and it worked fine  icon_biggrin

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »

As stated elsewhere in this thread, there are 'manual' ways of fixing your 360 once it goes pop. Seems to be a relatively easy fix (assuming you don't mind cracking open your 360 and replacing a few parts) too.

Stupidly poorly designed piece of junk...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 01:05:08 AM »

Mine died tonight.  It's still under the 3 year anything goes warranty so it will be going back this week.  It lasted a damn long time considering it was a 2005 original model and has seen a LOT of hours...even being left on overnight many times.  Oh well...it was going to happen eventually.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 12:24:05 AM »

Had my second RROD  crybaby. This was on a refurbished one from Gamestop that's WAY past their store warranty. Damn.

So, how do I tell that I'm getting a good new one? Jasper is it? I'm too depressed to look it up...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:26:44 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 12:48:44 AM »

I expecting my 7th (or 8th, I forget) refurb tomorrow.  They've gotten a lot better, about a 2 week turn around now.  Incuding shipping time. 
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 01:02:05 AM »

Oops, I was mistaken. The Gamestop one is the dead one over in the corner. The one that just died is one MS already repaired and yup, it's still under warranty. Too bad the damn website won't take my damn repair request. I hate to have to deal with the damn phone support again.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 01:20:57 AM »

At least repair was free and had about 2 week turn around for both time. (had 2 RROD)
However, my PS3 is collecting dust, refusing to pay for $150.00 repair bill.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 01:35:55 AM »

Is this constant "Unable to Complete Repair" request rejection normal? I've been trying for awhile and their system will not accept my repair request.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 02:36:51 AM »

I wish I was getting two week turn around.  It's been shipped and a week later hasn't even arrived.  At this rate I'm looking at two more weeks before it gets back to me.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 02:40:21 AM »

i got 2 RRoDs,on 2 xboxs in one day about 4 weeks ago

1st one took about 2 weeks to get back to me,the second one got picked up today(as i took my time ringing UPS for a pick up)

i bought both 360s well over 3 years ago,but i got them fixed free of charge...thank god for the loophole

the loophole being that i had problems with my xbox before and sent it off and instead of them sending me my 2005 model back they sent me a 2006 model and when it went back again i got sent back a 2007 model,so i was covered when i rang up

this time they have sent me a 2009-03-01 model,so i am covered now until 2012 icon_smile..even though technically,i bought it in December 2005

so really,they way i see it,you only get charged if you are lucky(or maybe not if you are getting charged) enough to not get a RRoD in the first 3 years.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »

After getting the "Unable to Complete Repair" status over the entire weekend whenever I would try to get my 360 entered into the online system for a repair, I finally called the 1-800 number. Then I was treated to a bunch of menus while they kept reminding me that I could do all of this online!  icon_mad. Finally I got an agent who thankfully didn't waste a lot of my time trying to talk me into something, but then it didn't hurt that I had all the info he needed right away. After going through some more hoops I finally got a trouble ticket number assigned and they are sending me a label. We'll see how long that takes.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »

My unit, by the by, is outside of the 3 year warranty, and also had the drive flashed (for GT-related work, to take some of the load off Ron with debugs).  So, I'm pretty hosed on that, I think.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 07:52:48 PM »

And number four dies a RROD failure.  It was a couple months past the three year cutoff, but the online system accepted my repair request.  I'll ship it out Monday.  Will the next one break me out of the refurb cycle of doom?  Sorry to anyone on my friends list who saw me going online and off as it was in it's death throes.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 02:00:26 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on May 29, 2009, 12:24:05 AM

Had my second RROD  crybaby. This was on a refurbished one from Gamestop that's WAY past their store warranty. Damn.

So, how do I tell that I'm getting a good new one? Jasper is it? I'm too depressed to look it up...

Where is SL when you need him??  Just go to the advanced search and look up "jasper" under USER: Canuck
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 02:01:44 AM »

How to tell if it is a Jasper
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »

I joined a few days ago (well, the sorority for me), which I mentioned in some thread, somewhere.  I had two launch unit 360's that just kept chugging along, with some problems near the end of their lives - but they refused to go all the way to RRoD.  One of them would shut down after 15 minutes of game play, to protect itself from overheating... if it had gone RRoD right away, it would've qualified for "fixing" but noooo, it couldn't quite manage that!  It is now a DVD player, because it will play DVD's, just not games.  saywhat

Last week, the console I was using, a launch console with a new 60GB HD... finally decides to RRoD, lol.  Oh, but too late to get fixed for free, of course.  Now I have one fully functional 360, one RRoD waiting to see what I decide to do with it (probably will take it apart and have some fun with it), the unit that is now a DVD player - and an extra 20GB HD not attached to anything.

The plot thickens though:  after a "Friday DVD night" - the TV that the "360 DVD player" is hooked to... just up and croaked.  Like turning it off but without the little plink or click noise... just Doornail City. And it is a gigantic anvil, we need Best Buy or someone to remove it, it weighs so much.

So, I have my Jasper info ready - soon, I will go looking for a 360, plus another HDTV - and hope to be done with 360 and TV purchases for a little while at least.  I hope.   Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »

As I and others here have mentioned, they have accepted some older units for repair/refurb with the three rings.  It's worth a trip to the xbox repair site or a call to the help line to make sure.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »

mine died too frown

i THINK its outside the warranty.  im going to try calling to see if ms will fix it for free, BUT if they dont i have a question... (i know we have some ms people here who might be able to answer, even via pm)

lets say i decide to take ms up on the $140 repair fee if its outside my warranty.  before i do that, can i crack open my 360 and try to repair it myself?  and if i still get rrod can i then send it into ms for the $140 repair?  just curious...  all hypothetical of course - ill most likely end up sending it in without breaking the seal on the thing
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 08:42:59 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on July 05, 2009, 08:29:50 PM

As I and others here have mentioned, they have accepted some older units for repair/refurb with the three rings.  It's worth a trip to the xbox repair site or a call to the help line to make sure.  Good luck.

Yup, I planned on checking in with them - but since mine are both about 4 years old, I'm ready for rejection! Thanks for the reminder on the repair site,though, I will likely go that route to check it out.  The help line - so far - has been less than wonderful (to be ironic, lol.)

Doopri - if mine is not covered (likely) I may still get one of those 'Net docs on how to fix RRoD - IF I do that, and IF it works, I'll let you know.  I suspect though that you will be in more of a hurry to get the answers than I, especially if you have only one 360.  Since I spend hardly any money on other entertainment venues, I have - and will have - two 360s at all times. It's too bad that the 2nd 360 has turned out to be a rather useful insurance policy!

Also, is it really $140 now to fix a console-only problem? Sounds like a lot to me, because you could get a new Jasper chip-set Arcade console for, what? $150... or is it $200?   icon_confused
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:06:44 AM by mytocles » Logged

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 01:15:33 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 05, 2009, 11:55:51 PM

lets say i decide to take ms up on the $140 repair fee if its outside my warranty.  before i do that, can i crack open my 360 and try to repair it myself?  and if i still get rrod can i then send it into ms for the $140 repair?  just curious...  all hypothetical of course - ill most likely end up sending it in without breaking the seal on the thing

There's a warranty sticker underneath the faceplate that can't be be broken - if it is, they'll just send the box back.  frown
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:41 PM »

well good news as i wont have to resort to any extreme measures...

despite the fact that my 3 year anniversary had passed a few months ago, microsoft is going to repair it free, so thats a plus.  i will definitely NOT be ripping the guts out of her now (probably wouldnt even have done it before)

strangely enough, i now feel like i REALLY have owned a 360 and participated in the full experience smile  heres hoping it doesnt take too long
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 03:47:28 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on July 04, 2009, 07:52:48 PM

And number four dies a RROD failure.  It was a couple months past the three year cutoff, but the online system accepted my repair request.  I'll ship it out Monday.  Will the next one break me out of the refurb cycle of doom?  Sorry to anyone on my friends list who saw me going online and off as it was in it's death throes.

I got my 360 back today.  So that's only a week after I shipped it.  The good or bad news is that they fixed my refurb.  I'm not sure what they did since the last unit already had the improved heat sink.  It has the same serial number but a new sticker indicating the repair date. 

On the one hand, I'm happy they were willing to fix it and got it back to me quickly.  On the other, I now have a double (at least) refurbed Xenon 360.  I read the article talking about their improved repair process, but until my experience matches their claims, I'm not going to feel I can rely on my 360.

I was hoping that the last iteration would last until another price drop.  Now maybe this one will.  I guess I'll try to use it steadily for a while to make sure there are no obvious problems before my 90 day repair warranty expires.  Of course, the last one was working perfectly until it died out of the blue.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »

I feel your pain - but I was lucky enough (or unlucky in some ways) to have two launch 360s last since their birthdays.  So I got full use - overuse, actually - of both of them, but also can't get them fixed for free.  I'm okay with that since my entertainment budget has little in it besides video gaming, but still...

I'm a 360 "fangoil" - or is it "fangurl?" - it is by far my favorite system - but even I believe that MS should be absolutely ashamed of themselves over the performance issues of the 360.  I've decided not to bother checking if they will fix mine (i have one console with RRoD, and one that will only play DVD's, both of which are 4 years old.)  One of these days, I'll buy one of those "Fix your RRoD!" tutorial downloads and see if I can match up my extra 20GB HD with one of the broken consoles.  I'll pass it along to a nephew, because I can't imagine needing three 360's lol.  And if I cant fix it, it's no big deal to me, they've literally been played to death!

But MS should still be ashamed - at the very least - because my 4-year "success" with the consoles seems to be an aberration, not the norm.   disgust
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:09:16 AM by mytocles » Logged

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 06:50:13 PM »

hroth thats a nice turnaround!  gives me hope to have mine back somewhat soon maybe???

and myto i had a fairly old one too - i always kept my fingers crossed and was even somewhat superstitious when it came to talking about it still kicking.  but i think deep down i knew it would happen eventually smile

as a funny aside - when i dropped mine off at the ups store the lady gives me a wry smile and sort of a snort.  i jokingly ask her "so let me guess, you see a lot of these huh?" - her response?  "about two a day - they must have really good games because you keep bringing them here" smile
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »

We have two 360's in the house, a pro and an elite.

The Pro died after 14 months.  Video chip problem not covered by RRoD warranty.  Net result is $100 for a new warranty and a refurb.

The Elite (which I just bought) died after only six weeks.  DVD drive problem covered by warranty.  Net result, I was supposed to get my coffin box yesterday since according to the UPS tracking site it was "Out for Delivery" and I watched the UPS guy drive by my house no less than four times but he never stopped. 

Friggin' thing better be there when I get home today.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 09:26:41 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on July 14, 2009, 06:50:13 PM

hroth thats a nice turnaround!  gives me hope to have mine back somewhat soon maybe???

and myto i had a fairly old one too - i always kept my fingers crossed and was even somewhat superstitious when it came to talking about it still kicking.  but i think deep down i knew it would happen eventually smile

as a funny aside - when i dropped mine off at the ups store the lady gives me a wry smile and sort of a snort.  i jokingly ask her "so let me guess, you see a lot of these huh?" - her response?  "about two a day - they must have really good games because you keep bringing them here" smile

Wow, and I keep getting a little more surprised (not really, lol) at every post on threads like this.  I think because I had two launch units that held up for 4 years, I probably was starting to feel invulnerable... or at least, very lucky.  Two a day, yikes...

Quote from: TK-421 on July 14, 2009, 07:59:50 PM

We have two 360's in the house, a pro and an elite.

The Pro died after 14 months.  Video chip problem not covered by RRoD warranty.  Net result is $100 for a new warranty and a refurb.

The Elite (which I just bought) died after only six weeks.  DVD drive problem covered by warranty.  Net result, I was supposed to get my coffin box yesterday since according to the UPS tracking site it was "Out for Delivery" and I watched the UPS guy drive by my house no less than four times but he never stopped. 

Friggin' thing better be there when I get home today.

Good grief... a recent Elite, and it's already bitten the dust? I'm not sure whether to tell you to forget about buying lottery tickets - because you are clearly cursed... or to buy lots of them because you are clearly due!

Probably for the first time in 5 or 6 years (for consoles of any brand), when I picked up a Pro on Sunday - I also got the extended warranty.  $40 that I hope will be a complete waste...

Does anyone remember this Time magazine cover?  And I thought that the glitches in Morrowind were the worst I - or anyone - would ever suffer through...  I'll bet if they had it to do over again, that picture would not include two Red Rings!   Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 06:57:51 PM »

Who knew that I had downloaded over 500 items to my 360?

It took me about a half hour to 'localize' or 'relicense' my stuff.  Obviously I only did that for things I wanted offline like my XBLA games, Rock Band DLC and various map packs.  Unfortunately there's no way to sort that list.  I also found out that games installed to disk had to be deleted and reinstalled to work on my refurbed refurb.  Bummer.

I'm glad there's a way to transfer my licenses, but would it kill MS to find a way to automate it or at least sort the Downloaded Items list?

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »

Just had my first red rings a couple of nights ago. Mine is about 2 1/2 years old.

I don't remember the pattern, but I think it was 3 rings. Everything seems fine except the wireless adapter USB port, which is inop now.

Ale
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 08:19:19 PM »

2 xboxes and no RROD. VICTORY!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: