http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 12:10:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have Half-Life 2 in my hand  (Read 7551 times)
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2004, 01:49:10 PM »

For those of you that have the game, how much harddrive space does the game take up?
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2004, 01:59:21 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Steam on the other hand prevents me from playing Valve products more often than not.

"more often than not"???

You're kidding right?  You are actually saying that you've been trying to play a game (not Half-Life 2 obviously) on Steam and there have been more times that you haven't been able to play than times you have?  Have you played recently?

I'm on Steam about 4 times per week and have been for the past month or two.  Not once, never, have I not been able to play a game because of anything to do with Steam.  Mrs. Warning wanting me to do something else?  Yes.  Steam problems?  Nope.

Perhaps the reason that you can't play on Steam greater than 50% of the time is because you have Starforce installed?   biggrin
Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2004, 02:13:08 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"
For those of you that have the game, how much harddrive space does the game take up?

I haven't installed it yet, but the box says 4.5 gig.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2004, 02:14:22 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
You're kidding right?  You are actually saying that you've been trying to play a game (not Half-Life 2 obviously) on Steam and there have been more times that you haven't been able to play than times you have?  Have you played recently?

Yes, I've always had problems with steam. Steam would refuse to authorize, steam would corrupt requiring a complete reinstall (and hours of recieving the latest pushes) or just general flakiness with the server browser.

Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2004, 02:15:19 PM »

Quote from: "Ranulf"
Quote from: "Tony"

The box says, "Internet Connection Required."

Yeah, so? Thats pretty vague. Its not like it actually says on the outside of the box: "YOU CAN NOT PLAY THE GAME UNTIL 11/16/04 when we turn on the authorization servers".

Valve is worried about being sued further, I think they still have a lawsuit against sierra/VU going, if BB broke the date Valve/VU can sue them for breach of contract or Valve could sue VU for breach if it was stated that steam/retail sales' activiation doesn't start until 11/16.

Actually, if you look a little further down on the box, it says, "You Can Not Play the Game Until 11/16/04, and if you get this game before then, it's Vivendi's fault you bitches!"
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2004, 02:34:25 PM »

More Half-Life 2 hillarity...

*strong language is used*

http://www.users.qwest.net/~amerrill/hl2msg.wav

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2004, 02:59:39 PM »

Quote from: "Ranulf"

The box says, "Internet Connection Required."

Yeah, so? Thats pretty vague. Its not like it actually says on the outside of the box: "YOU CAN NOT PLAY THE GAME UNTIL 11/16/04 when we turn on the authorization servers".

Valve is worried about being sued further, I think they still have a lawsuit against sierra/VU going, if BB broke the date Valve/VU can sue them for breach of contract or Valve could sue VU for breach if it was stated that steam/retail sales' activiation doesn't start until 11/16.

Actually, if you look a little further down on the box, it says, "You Can Not Play the Game Until 11/16/04, and if you get this game before then, it's Vivendi's fault you bitches!"

LOL!  Now that would be a clearly written disclaimer.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2004, 03:22:40 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Quote from: "msduncan"

I'm not making it sound like that.

I'm saying that this whole thing has been a fiasco, mismanaged, mis-calculated, mis-labeled, and mis-everything since just prior to the infamous code-theft incident.

But I don't think any of that has anything to do with the subject at hand. That being the early release, and non-unlocking of the game. Even if everything you said above about Valve were true, that wouldn't make this incident their fault.

What a JOKE of a company, and what a JOKE of a publisher.    Here we find yet ANOTHER instance of a company SO concerned with piracy that they are punishing honest consumers.

Screw em all, and especially the French bed wetting publishers.

Valve has made some mistakes, (who hasn't?) but I don't see them as a "joke of a company".  I must be missing out.. what's this circus you speak of? what *really* has valve done that's so bad? Saying it would be released on 9/30/03? Ok, yeah, that was "bad", I guess (er, it is just a PC game though, not a cure for cancer), but what else?

They made arguably the best PC game of all time, and could arguably top that with the best PC game of all time. They did manage to finish it, something 3DRealms will likely never do with Duke4Ever, and it will be out Tuesday. And guess what... all the Valve-bashers will be first in f**king line to play it smile

Seriously.  Folks, it's a *game* - find something more important to get outraged over.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2004, 03:24:26 PM »

Quote from: "Torfish"

I'm assuming that's just for Half-Life 2. My steam install with all the goodies is closer to 7.5 GB.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2004, 04:02:40 PM »

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"
Has anyone bought the CE yet?  Exactly what comes in it?  I know a t-shirt, etc., but I am curious about the Prima book.  I'm kind of expecting a pamphlet or thin, stapled sampler of the real guide.  I hope I'm wrong though.

Also, does anyone think HL-Source will show up again besides the collector's edition?  I forsee either a total conversion or a freebie in the future of half life source.  Hopefully...
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »

Chain stores break street dates all the time. Breach of contract matters squat, because the publishers need their games in those stores more than the stores need an individual title.

The point of street dates, generally, is to try and get product into all the retail outlets at the same time, but in the end, in the vast majority of cases, they don't mean a bloody thing.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2004, 04:07:44 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

I'm assuming that's just for Half-Life 2. My steam install with all the goodies is closer to 7.5 GB.

Yeah, Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source probably since those are the only products in the regular edition.  Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life: Source and the old games you get via Steam with Silver/Gold order would probably push it to the 7.5GB range.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2004, 04:16:56 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Chain stores break street dates all the time. Breach of contract matters squat, because the publishers need their games in those stores more than the stores need an individual title.

The point of street dates, generally, is to try and get product into all the retail outlets at the same time, but in the end, in the vast majority of cases, they don't mean a bloody thing.

Ever heard of Best Buy breaking a street date for a big DVD release? Yeah, me either. This was a point brought up in a similar discussion over at QT3, and I think it's a good one. BB fears the music and movie industry, and respects the street dates. Here, they show contempt for the gaming industry and try to get an upper hand on their competitors. Valve is doing the right thing by keeping it locked till Tuesday. Otherwise Best Buy is rewarded for this shitty maneuver.  F**K Best Buy.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2004, 04:27:02 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

Ever heard of Best Buy breaking a street date for a big DVD release? Yeah, me either. This was a point brought up in a similar discussion over at QT3, and I think it's a good one. BB fears the music and movie industry, and respects the street dates. Here, they show contempt for the gaming industry and try to get an upper hand on their competitors. Valve is doing the right thing by keeping it locked till Tuesday. Otherwise Best Buy is rewarded for this shitty maneuver.  F**K Best Buy.

The reality is that PC game sales contribute a much lower percentage of sales to the store compared to movies. Also, I believe that EVERY movie has a firm street date whereas PC games "might" have a street date. We also do not know if there WAS a firm street date in the contract between VU and BB. For all we know VU left it out intentionally in order to get the extra sales. I am sure that MANY people bought the game early at the stores thinking that they get the game 4 days earlier then the steam version. In fact, I would put that many people on the net bought it, thinking that Valve WOULD unlock it once it was confirmed that people were buying it.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2004, 05:00:18 PM »

I have seen TV seasons on DVD earlier than their release dates at Best Buy.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2004, 07:06:05 PM »

Same here. I see new releases out days early at Best Buy constantly. The only exceptions are big, big name movies that are heavily advertised as being out on a certain day (ie. Shrek 2, Star Wars, LoTR).

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2004, 07:48:28 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Same here. I see new releases out days early at Best Buy constantly. The only exceptions are big, big name movies that are heavily advertised as being out on a certain day (ie. Shrek 2, Star Wars, LoTR).

I think that strengthens my point that BB is run by scumbags who will get away with whatever they can get away with, rather than play by the rules.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2004, 09:19:04 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Ok,
This is just about the first time that I read up on HL2, so what's all this about an activation?

You mean to tell me that you can't even play the SP without a Steam activation?
And what exactly will the activation ask for?

As you can tell, I have almost no interest in the game right now....and now I won't even be buying it on impulse cause of this activation crap.

BTW I loved the original game

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2004, 09:30:51 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Ok,
This is just about the first time that I read up on HL2, so what's all this about an activation?

You mean to tell me that you can't even play the SP without a Steam activation?
And what exactly will the activation ask for?

As you can tell, I have almost no interest in the game right now....and now I won't even be buying it on impulse cause of this activation crap.

BTW I loved the original game

See you on Tuesday
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2004, 10:27:42 PM »

I think that strengthens my point that BB is run by scumbags who will get away with whatever they can get away with, rather than play by the rules.

Well duh. bestbuysux.org   biggrin
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2004, 01:48:56 AM »

I finished my download of HL2 minutes ago.  I got the silver version.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2004, 01:54:02 AM »

To the guy who said "it's a game, don't get outraged"

I think all "outrage" by sane people is contextualized here.  It's a given that we're not talking about world hunger.  Fact is, it's pretty crappy from the consumer's POV to be sold something off a store shelf and not be able to use it when they bring it home.

That's a lousy situation and it's a screwup on somebody's part, whether Best Buy or Vivendi or Valve or all of them rolled together.

It doesn't affect me personally -- I bought it through Steam and was well aware of the 11/16 date.  But Joe Customer shouldn't have to browse Gamespy and PlanetHalfLife to make sure that a game he *buys* in a *store* in a *box* freakin' works when he takes it home.  That's BS.  It's not as much BS as world hunger or terrorism, but it's still BS.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2004, 02:08:11 AM »

Quote from: "bluefugue"
But Joe Customer shouldn't have to browse Gamespy and PlanetHalfLife to make sure that a game he *buys* in a *store* in a *box* freakin' works when he takes it home.  That's BS.  It's not as much BS as world hunger or terrorism, but it's still BS.

Boo-frickin-hoo.  Should I call the "WAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance?"

Best Buy sold it a couple days early.  Vivendi and Valve are unfairly getting the flak for that.

If I was Vivendi, I'd sue the crap out of BB.

Anyone that bought the game--tough luck, you get to wait like the rest of us.  You're welcome to cry about that.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2004, 02:22:48 AM »

But Joe Customer shouldn't have to browse Gamespy and PlanetHalfLife to make sure that a game he *buys* in a *store* in a *box* freakin' works when he takes it home. That's BS. It's not as much BS as world hunger or terrorism, but it's still BS.

I'm on this bandwagon as well.  I think its crazy that they are dragging this out any longer now that their management of the release has been botched all to shit and back.  It was a nice plan VU, now let it go and let us play already.  The only thing that waiting does is frustrate consumers.  

That said, I've got more than enough to play to bother with HL2 right now.  A few more days will let me knock out a few more reviews before HL2 hits the 'shelves' so to speak.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2004, 02:56:37 AM »

To this day I am also shocked that BB has not been ass-raped by some State's Attorney General.  They pull some illegal shit and get away with it ALL the time.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2004, 03:50:17 AM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"

To this day I am also shocked that BB has not been ass-raped by some State's Attorney General.  They pull some illegal shit and get away with it ALL the time.
I think Ohio's SAG actually did sue Best Buy.  I'm far too lazy to look up the details, though.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2004, 04:19:35 AM »

I'm even lazier to confirm your post.  Tongue

Edit:  OK...I lied... http://www.ag.state.oh.us/press_releases/2004/press_release_20040819.htm
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2004, 05:44:18 AM »

Just read over at Gametab that Best Buy home office has sent out a corporate memo to all stores to pull all copies of HL2 till Tuesday. Seems they're being threatened by Vivendi. Cool. Glad to see those assclowns get called on this one.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2004, 11:42:11 AM »

There's no way Valve or Vivendi can back down on this one. As soon as they do, it makes any future threats or release date plans invalid. As long as they stick to their plan, they can make things like early releases a thing of the past...and I don't mind. So far it hasn't been pirated and I like that.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2004, 12:10:29 PM »

Just read over at Gametab that Best Buy home office has sent out a corporate memo to all stores to pull all copies of HL2 till Tuesday. Seems they're being threatened by Vivendi. Cool. Glad to see those assclowns get called on this one.

Did best buy hold a gun to people's head and made them buy the game?

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2004, 12:56:28 PM »

Did best buy hold a gun to people's head and made them buy the game?

How is that relevant? The average customer wouldn't know that BB was breaking their agreement.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2004, 01:01:35 PM »

They shouldn't and they wouldn't if it wasn't for Valve forcing steam on HL2.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2004, 03:31:48 PM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"
There's no way Valve or Vivendi can back down on this one. As soon as they do, it makes any future threats or release date plans invalid. As long as they stick to their plan, they can make things like early releases a thing of the past...and I don't mind. So far it hasn't been pirated and I like that.

Ironically, Vampire, which was supposed to be out after HL2 has been. This may see a trend where more companies decide on the activation route, which sucks. Hopefully, they will at least provide some sort of phone activation in the future as well.
Although activation will only serve to stop early releases and not stop pirating as I am sure there will be a pirated version of HL2 bythe end of the month.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2004, 07:34:37 PM »

Good news about Vampire...no online activation for that one. smile  Good 'ol CD in drive activation.  Of course, it's only single player (which I hope to remedy) so who knows.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2004, 05:32:33 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Boo-frickin-hoo.  Should I call the "WAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance?"

Best Buy sold it a couple days early.  Vivendi and Valve are unfairly getting the flak for that.

If I was Vivendi, I'd sue the crap out of BB.

Anyone that bought the game--tough luck, you get to wait like the rest of us.  You're welcome to cry about that.

I completly agree with LE on this one. (dear God !!!  :shock: )

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: