http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 11:11:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have Half-Life 2 in my hand  (Read 7638 times)
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2004, 10:31:53 PM »

Glen Burnie, Maryland.  Best Buy on Ritchie Highway.  Plenty of them in stock.  Whether it runs or not I have no idea.  Just wanted to say it is available.  Getting ready to install now.
TorpidSloth
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 10:37:35 PM »

Yeah, I read over on Quarter to Three that BestBuy HQ had authorized its stores to break street date. If these copies work w/o activiation, I'd be a little miffed as I'm sitting here with the game on my HD but can't unlock it.
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 10:38:17 PM »

cool news dude.  post pics.  i would say that it won't work though, sorry.  at least you have it installed for tuesday though

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 10:42:43 PM »

for what it's worth, i was just in BB for other reasons and picked up a copy of HL2...they had a display full of them in the front of the store, along with the CE and Prima guide, so i grabbed mine a little early.

so what's in the box? you get the 5 discs in paper sleeves, a 6x4.5" reference card with install instructions on one side and controls on the other, and a mail-in rebate card good for $20 off an ATI video purchased by March 1, 2005. that's it...unless you consider the box art to be something special (i got the G-man).  although there's not much to see, i've thrown up a picture here if anyone is curious.

in the end, having it now does me absolutely no good because it isn't playable yet...but it does save me another trip to BB later. the other upside is that i should be able to unlock it early on Tuesday morning at the same time as all the Steam buyers and get some play time in right away. in any case, i have my copy now and it only cost me $46 thanks to a handful of those BB Bucks from McDonalds Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 11:47:40 PM »

Man, what a bunch of cheap bastards!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 11:57:31 PM »

What's worse is that Valve STILL hasn't unlocked it, so all these people buying it from Best Buy -- INCLUDING consumers that don't know anything about this locked software business -- are getting this thing home to find out it doesn't work.

VALVE:   If you know what is good for your business UNLOCK THIS GAME NOW.

There are a LOT of casual consumers that are picking this up in Best Buys all over the nation that are going to be ticked -- and returning copies -- when they find out it doesn't work.    From what I hear they don't even get an indication of why it won't work when they try to run the CD version.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 12:56:14 AM »

Exactly. Best Buy has broken street date, so now there are a ton of people with the game. My Best Buy had a ton of them on the shelves when I went there today.

Valve needs to unlock this thing NOW, or they will have a TON of pissed off people soon...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 12:58:48 AM »

An update from Valve that has been posted on their website...

If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam authentication servers at this time.

Thanks for your patience and we will update you when we have more news to share.

Their forums are down right now as well, due to all the traffic....

Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 12:59:32 AM »

Agreed Hetz.

As a side effect, I'm hoping the STEAM version is unlocked as well.

I'm sorry, but the activation for the retail version is just plain stupid.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 03:06:49 AM »

If Valve hadn't put in the activation for the retail version, they could have probably had an excuse to VU to activate Steam, since now VU, through their retailers, have broken the street date.

As a side note, since VU is still not letting Valve activate since they say it is not released, I think everyone should boycott the retail version completely. VU knows that there are a lot of people who would like this game at the earliest either via Steam or Retail. By "letting" the stores continue to sell the retail version, they are just trying to make sure the early adopters get their version instead of the Steam version.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 03:10:09 AM »

Yep, I just cancelled my EB retail order and bought the Silver version over Steam.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 03:34:25 AM »

Aren't the retailers in violation with the publisher's contract?  It's not Valve's fault that the retailers are out to make a quick buck.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 03:45:17 AM »

Quote from: "mori"
Aren't the retailers in violation with the publisher's contract?  It's not Valve's fault that the retailers are out to make a quick buck.

In general, yes the stores are in violation, however we don't have any facts. It is possible that VU never put a strict release date in their contracts or on their shipping boxes. Maybe they never thought the game would be in the stores early enough.

Also, it is VU's responsibility to reign in the retail stores. Valve could conceivably sue VU for breach of contract(and then VU would have to sue the stores if they ahd a contract). Why should Valve suffer a loss of sales because VU is "letting" the stores sell early?
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 03:56:10 AM »

Quote from: "Raintitan"
As a side effect, I'm hoping the STEAM version is unlocked as well.

I'm sorry, but the activation for the retail version is just plain stupid.

There is NO difference between the Steam and retail verison, except for the fact that the retail has an install script.  You end up with the exact same encrypted files that the Steam preload provides.  It needs Steam to run, just like the preload.  So when it unlocks for one, it inherently unlocks for the other.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2004, 04:00:40 AM »

Well, VU is now technically in breach of contract as well, since I am sure the contract stipulated a simultaneous BM/Online release. Obviously, VU has no direct control over BM stores breaking the release dates, but since they know BB has done so, it is a purely-as far as I see it-hateful, spiteful, silly, petty decision on VU's part to prevent Valve from directly perhaps getting a leg up on online sales.

I hope Valve says fuck you to Vivendi the second they have fulfilled their contractual obligations, makes a billion dollars off of their self published, internet only game, and VU crumbles into oblivion.

Seriously, I have had it up to -----here with the era of big publishers. Fuck off EA, VU...the only big publisher that frankly has done me no wrong-Microsoft.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2004, 04:06:43 AM »

:lol:

Now people are calling Gabe at his home and telling him to unlock the damn game!

http://www.users.qwest.net/~amerrill/nirv-gabe_newell.wav

:twisted:

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2004, 04:08:41 AM »

I was at Best Buy tonight as well and saw it. I was tempted to buy it but I already have a copy on order from gamestop.com. You can't play it till Vavle turns steam on. They claim they will do it like 3pm EST but I have doubts since you have to use Steam and that service doesn't work on any given day. I can imagine how crippled it will be come launch day. So I'm kinda glad I'll have to site back a few days.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 04:09:39 AM »

Admittedly, despite what the other sections of MS has done, MS games is a surprisingly good company.

But, back to the topic, I'm just hoping they release the whole damn thing on sunday, because I want some play time this weekend.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2004, 04:10:21 AM »

VUG is in the wrong here for not reigning in the stores. Valve clearly said there would be internet activation as of Nov. 16, 2004, and that anyone who got it early would be up shit creek. Now, if that's not clearly labeled on the box is something else entirely. For those that have it now, does it say clearly on the box "Requires internet authentication"?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2004, 04:11:49 AM »

Has anyone bought the CE yet?  Exactly what comes in it?  I know a t-shirt, etc., but I am curious about the Prima book.  I'm kind of expecting a pamphlet or thin, stapled sampler of the real guide.  I hope I'm wrong though.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2004, 04:26:20 AM »

So places like BB(possibly with the ok of Viviendi) start to sell the game early . What do gamers here to? Rag on Valve more even though they had nothing to do with it and are stuck with not activation the game until the 16th for contract reasons. I swear this Valve bashing is just getting pathetic people. Is it possible for you complainers to give them a break just once?  SHeesh people...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 04:30:12 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Now people are calling Gabe at his home and telling him to unlock the damn game!

http://www.users.qwest.net/~amerrill/nirv-gabe_newell.wav

:twisted:

Is that shit real?? Thats gotta be someone who knows him...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 04:36:03 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
So places like BB(possibly with the ok of Viviendi) start to sell the game early . What do gamers here to? Rag on Valve more even though they had nothing to do with it and are stuck with not activation the game until the 16th for contract reasons. I swear this Valve bashing is just getting pathetic people. Is it possible for you complainers to give them a break just once?  SHeesh people...

But... but....

Hey you're confusing us with your Jedi Mind Trick.  I got your number bud.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 04:37:25 AM »

For those that don't know, Gabe's home number is listed publically and he does take calls from fans and gamers.  He alos answers emails directly. So yes, it probably is real.
Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 04:41:44 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
VUG is in the wrong here for not reigning in the stores. Valve clearly said there would be internet activation as of Nov. 16, 2004, and that anyone who got it early would be up shit creek. Now, if that's not clearly labeled on the box is something else entirely. For those that have it now, does it say clearly on the box "Requires internet authentication"?

The box says, "Internet Connection Required."
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 04:42:59 AM »

Completely agree. To me, it's obvious that Valve is not responsible for this problem, and they are handcuffed by VU.

Since Rage mentioned the era of the big publisher, I thought it'd be interesting to note that EA employees are filing a class action lawsuit against EA, for downright heinous workplace practices. I hope they win big. EA is raping their employees.

If interested,  see this thread, and be sure to read the livejournal entry at the top. You might be shocked at how badly EA treats their people.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2004, 04:47:10 AM »

I will do some research tomorrow and examine the merits of this lawsuit (at least what we see on the surface)

I am taking employment law as we speak, so the information is fresh in my mind.< Unfortunately, in at-will states, employers figuratively can do whatever they want to their employees and get away with it-including egregious personal privacy violations-monitoring them, holding them to obscene personal conduct standards, etc.

Like I said, give me some time to tool around with my books and I will see what I see.

I know that the overtime issue itself is going to be very difficult for them to make up much ground on-overtime is rarely required for anyone that is a salaried employee for any reason.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2004, 05:11:13 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

Completely agree. To me, it's obvious that Valve is not responsible for this problem, and they are handcuffed by VU.

Since Rage mentioned the era of the big publisher, I thought it'd be interesting to note that EA employees are filing a class action lawsuit against EA, for downright heinous workplace practices. I hope they win big. EA is raping their employees.

If interested,  see this thread, and be sure to read the livejournal entry at the top. You might be shocked at how badly EA treats their people.

I disagree with both of you.

This game and the circumstances surrounding it has been an ongoing circus for going on two years.    This last few days are just continuation of the madness.     Are these people really running a business, or are they totally winging it and one day the house of cards will fall?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2004, 05:28:50 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"

You disagree with what point? I've only contended that Valve has *no control* over whether smacktard managers of Best Buy release the game before the official street date, and that VU is forcing Valve (with legal threats, I'm sure) to hold fast to the official unlock date.

People are making it sound like Valve is rubbing their hands together, laughing manically saying ... "We did it Gabe! we made 'em think they could play it. BUT THEY CAN'T!!! MUHUHAHAHAHA!!!"  :roll:
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2004, 05:34:14 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

You disagree with what point? I've only contended that Valve has *no control* over whether smacktard managers of Best Buy release the game before the official street date, and that VU is forcing Valve (with legal threats, I'm sure) to hold fast to the official unlock date.

People are making it sound like Valve is rubbing their hands together, laughing manically saying ... "We did it Gabe! we made 'em think they could play it. BUT THEY CAN'T!!! MUHUHAHAHAHA!!!"  :roll:

I'm not making it sound like that.

I'm saying that this whole thing has been a fiasco, mismanaged, mis-calculated, mis-labeled, and mis-everything since just prior to the infamous code-theft incident.

What a JOKE of a company, and what a JOKE of a publisher.    Here we find yet ANOTHER instance of a company SO concerned with piracy that they are punishing honest consumers.

Screw em all, and especially the French bed wetting publishers.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2004, 05:36:44 AM »

Hehe.  Amusing.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2004, 05:42:08 AM »

I'm not making it sound like that.

I'm saying that this whole thing has been a fiasco, mismanaged, mis-calculated, mis-labeled, and mis-everything since just prior to the infamous code-theft incident.

But I don't think any of that has anything to do with the subject at hand. That being the early release, and non-unlocking of the game. Even if everything you said above about Valve were true, that wouldn't make this incident their fault.

What a JOKE of a company, and what a JOKE of a publisher.    Here we find yet ANOTHER instance of a company SO concerned with piracy that they are punishing honest consumers.

Screw em all, and especially the French bed wetting publishers.

Valve has made some mistakes, (who hasn't?) but I don't see them as a "joke of a company".  I must be missing out.. what's this circus you speak of? what *really* has valve done that's so bad? Saying it would be released on 9/30/03? Ok, yeah, that was "bad", I guess (er, it is just a PC game though, not a cure for cancer), but what else?

They made arguably the best PC game of all time, and could arguably top that with the best PC game of all time. They did manage to finish it, something 3DRealms will likely never do with Duke4Ever, and it will be out Tuesday. And guess what... all the Valve-bashers will be first in f**king line to play it smile
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2004, 05:53:06 AM »

Its our hobby, and the joke is on us, the paying customer.  What kind of industry can get away with selling something that its use is prevented by design?

This was a bad idea, internet activation for an offline video game.  But its just a continuance of the screwing plenty of honest customers experience at the hands of copy protection day in and day out.

olaf
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2004, 07:29:27 AM »

Quote from: "olaf"
Its our hobby, and the joke is on us, the paying customer.  What kind of industry can get away with selling something that its use is prevented by design?

This was a bad idea, internet activation for an offline video game.  But its just a continuance of the screwing plenty of honest customers experience at the hands of copy protection day in and day out.

olaf

In the end I will take something like this, a one time internet activation, over starforce any day.

If anyone is to blame here it would be first off, Best Buy for jumping the damn gun and second VU for not seeming to care the gun has been jumped.  At this point I don't think valve cares at all, the post made it sound like they would turn it on this second if VU wouldn't sue them into the ground for it.
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2004, 07:41:07 AM »

Quote from: "Tony"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

The box says, "Internet Connection Required."

Yeah, so? Thats pretty vague. Its not like it actually says on the outside of the box: "YOU CAN NOT PLAY THE GAME UNTIL 11/16/04 when we turn on the authorization servers".

Valve is worried about being sued further, I think they still have a lawsuit against sierra/VU going, if BB broke the date Valve/VU can sue them for breach of contract or Valve could sue VU for breach if it was stated that steam/retail sales' activiation doesn't start until 11/16.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2004, 09:12:45 AM »

/shrug.

The game comes out on the 16th.  You get to wait like the rest of us.

Boo hoo.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2004, 10:19:47 AM »

Man, I'm glad I ordered it over steam. G-Man on the box looks icky biggrin

HELLO!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2004, 01:07:28 PM »

Ok,
This is just about the first time that I read up on HL2, so what's all this about an activation?

You mean to tell me that you can't even play the SP without a Steam activation?
And what exactly will the activation ask for?

As you can tell, I have almost no interest in the game right now....and now I won't even be buying it on impulse cause of this activation crap.

BTW I loved the original game

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2004, 01:11:45 PM »

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2004, 01:41:07 PM »

Quote from: "Vidiot"
Quote from: "olaf"

olaf

In the end I will take something like this, a one time internet activation, over starforce any day.

I rather Starforce. Starforce has never prevented me from playing a game. Steam on the other hand prevents me from playing Valve products more often than not.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: