http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:23:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a PS3 now.......  (Read 1932 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2007, 01:38:08 AM »

discuss. Tongue

Just kidding.

Boy, this thing is frigging HUGE isn't it? Sure seems to spit hot fire also as I was surprised at how warm the area behind the console was. Got Underworld Evolution on Blu-Ray.......not too impressed. Great movie but the picture quality was on par with some of the lesser HD DVD films I had, not a huge upgrade over the excellent looking SD DVD. The Formula 1 game I bought should be good, too bad I won't be playing much tonight.

The online thing is kinda rinkydink, nowhere near as good as Live. System seems to be built extremely well, but the controller is WAY too cheap and light feeling. Also, the "charging cable" is so damn short I had to sit in the floor to setup the system. WiFi performs well, better than the 360. Setting up an online account was easy enough, nice and well explained.

Not bad guys, not bad at all.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 01:42:28 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what pushed you over the edge into getting one?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 01:54:02 AM »

I wasn't playing my Wii, plain and simple. I just absolutely lost interest in it and nothing on the horizon really screamed "BUY ME". The PS3 on the other hand, offered more HD gaming and movie playback options, as well as more games I am interested in, so I went with it.

Good question though.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:05:03 AM »

Quote from: jblank on April 12, 2007, 01:38:08 AM

Got Underworld Evolution on Blu-Ray.......not too impressed. Great movie but the picture quality was on par with some of the lesser HD DVD films I had, not a huge upgrade over the excellent looking SD DVD.

If by "great movie" you mean "righteous hot sex scene with Kate Beckinsale and that's it" then you're right. icon_wink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:18:25 AM »

Just curious: with you buying a PS3 and selling your HD-DVD player for the 360, does this mean that you're forcasting that Blu-Ray is going to prevail?

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 02:21:44 AM »

Because if that's the case, we should probably un-ban Hetz.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 02:30:41 AM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on April 12, 2007, 02:18:25 AM

Just curious: with you buying a PS3 and selling your HD-DVD player for the 360, does this mean that you're forcasting that Blu-Ray is going to prevail?

No, I was presented with a "one or the other" by the wife, so I had to make a choice. Either I keep the HD DVD add on and Wii and get no PS3, or I sell them, and get the PS3.

Before anyone even asks, no, I don't change my allegiances after 2 hrs. I still like the XBOX 360 better, I just think it is a better gaming platform at the moment, and honestly, if this is a very good Blu-Ray release, then HD DVD smacks it down, just as I thought and had seen in demos.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 02:33:33 AM by jblank » Logged

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 02:36:34 AM »

Welcome to the club, CabriX on PSN

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 02:39:19 AM »

Im Jblank on there. Add me and lets hook up sometime.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 02:50:59 AM »

Quote from: jblank on April 12, 2007, 02:30:41 AM

No, I was presented with a "one or the other" by the wife, so I had to make a choice. Either I keep the HD DVD add on and Wii and get no PS3, or I sell them, and get the PS3.

If I could find a 20gig PS3 in the wild I would consider trading my Wii for a PS3. Not much going on with either console for me right now, but the PS3 seems like the better future investment.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 02:52:20 AM »

Agreed.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 03:02:13 AM »

BTW, is it ok for the standby light to stay on? Should I completely turn it off by using the switch on the back?

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 03:04:27 AM »

Before anyone even asks, no, I don't change my allegiances after 2 hrs. I still like the XBOX 360 better, I just think it is a better gaming platform at the moment, and honestly, if this is a very good Blu-Ray release, then HD DVD smacks it down, just as I thought and had seen in demos.

Why do you have to have an alliance with a platform to enjoy it? It's just a video game machine, if it's got good games it's got good games. Congrats on the PS3 though, most definately a more future-proof investment than a Wii.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:12:48 AM »

Nah buddy, I think you misunderstood me. What I was trying to say was that just because I bought a PS3, that doesn't mean I am gonna go back on what I have said in the past. Perhaps allegiance was a bad choice of words, but no, I don't have to have an allegiance to enjoy it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 03:20:40 AM »

Boy, this thing is frigging HUGE isn't it? Sure seems to spit hot fire also as I was surprised at how warm the area behind the console was.

That's my big hang up right now, even before the price.  I honestly don't have a good place to place such a monstrosity and properly ventilate it without re-doing my whole entertainment center.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 04:36:16 AM »

I just bought one off of Ebay ($495 shipped - brand new 60gb version) so should be getting that next week sometime.

Which brings me if anyone is complaining about price - give ebay a try. I've seen plenty of 60gb's (new) for less than $550 shipped. Just do 'buy it now' and then list by 'lowest price first'.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 05:19:15 AM »

discuss. Tongue

Just kidding.

Boy, this thing is frigging HUGE isn't it? Sure seems to spit hot fire also as I was surprised at how warm the area behind the console was. Got Underworld Evolution on Blu-Ray.......not too impressed. Great movie but the picture quality was on par with some of the lesser HD DVD films I had, not a huge upgrade over the excellent looking SD DVD. The Formula 1 game I bought should be good, too bad I won't be playing much tonight.

The online thing is kinda rinkydink, nowhere near as good as Live. System seems to be built extremely well, but the controller is WAY too cheap and light feeling. Also, the "charging cable" is so damn short I had to sit in the floor to setup the system. WiFi performs well, better than the 360. Setting up an online account was easy enough, nice and well explained.

Not bad guys, not bad at all.

congrats,i am still a way off until i get one in
just how hot does behind the console get?...same as behind the 360?...even the Wii can get quite warm for the little blighter

is that true that Kate does a sex scene in underworld 2?....if so,im getting it

is Hetz really banned?....if so,shame ,he made me laugh,he really did love his PS3,and it was funny how he tried telling everyone all the time,LOL

oh,Jblank,that formula 1 game was high on my list for the ps3 if i ever got one,should be good,but i heard they have last years teams etc in...which i cant understand,so if i did buy it,it would already be old icon_cry

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 05:24:27 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 12, 2007, 05:19:15 AM

yep.

is Hetz really banned?....if so,shame ,he made me laugh,he really did love his PS3,and it was funny how he tried telling everyone all the time,LOL
yep (you need to read most of the first page to see what led to it being permanent).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 05:27:15 AM »

"BTW, is it ok for the standby light to stay on? Should I completely turn it off by using the switch on the back?"
My PS2 has been on standby for 5 years straight now, and it still works fine.  I think that's how it's designed to function, and I would assume it's the same for the PS3.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 06:14:42 AM »

Yup, I never touch the switch behind the PS3 and mine is running just dandy.  Played some Motorstorm with Depward tonight - another night of flawless, lag-less online play.

I really, really love the PS3 controller.  It takes the PS2 design and makes it even better.

Welcome to the club, jblank!  Help us CURE CANCER!

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 06:47:07 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 12, 2007, 06:14:42 AM

I really, really love the PS3 controller.  It takes the PS2 design and makes it even better.

Well, except the whole no rumble thing.  I really do miss it, but I knew that I would.  Hopefully it returns.  In fact, I refuse to buy another Sixaxis until they put the rumble in because I don't want two no rumble controllers.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 06:52:58 AM »

Say, can the PS3 controller's tilt function be used to control motorstorm's vehicles?  A la excite truck?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 06:53:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 12, 2007, 05:24:27 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 12, 2007, 05:19:15 AM

yep.

yep (you need to read most of the first page to see what led to it being permanent).

thanks for the link CK,not sure how i missed all that

back to PS3,is it true that the nice shiney parts of the console gets scratched easily?,or have i just heard that from someone who is clumsy?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »

i want a ps3 frown
but i want to save money too, god damn why is life so hard?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 08:35:05 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 12, 2007, 06:52:58 AM

Say, can the PS3 controller's tilt function be used to control motorstorm's vehicles?  A la excite truck?

Sure can.

But it's hard has hell to control.  Not because the Sixaxis doesn't work, but it's hard enough in the mud!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 10:55:37 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 12, 2007, 06:47:07 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 12, 2007, 06:14:42 AM

Well, except the whole no rumble thing.  I really do miss it, but I knew that I would.  Hopefully it returns.  In fact, I refuse to buy another Sixaxis until they put the rumble in because I don't want two no rumble controllers.

Yeah, its got no rumble and weighs about 4 ounces, which is comfortable until you realize it has no heft to it whatesoever. Its a fine controller, but its still nowhere near as refined as the 360. You can most tell the difference playing a shooter on the PS3 then another on 360. The difference in position of the sticks and weight is astounding.

Congrats J, I hope you enjoy it bro!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 10:56:36 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 12, 2007, 06:52:58 AM

Yes it can. No, it doesn't control well.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 12, 2007, 01:54:02 AM

I wasn't playing my Wii, plain and simple. I just absolutely lost interest in it and nothing on the horizon really screamed "BUY ME". The PS3 on the other hand, offered more HD gaming and movie playback options, as well as more games I am interested in, so I went with it.

Good question though.

As someone who should be getting a PS3 in the next couple of days, maybe sooner as I now will check Ebay today, I can agree to an extent. I think that since you didn't see anything on the Wii-horizon that interested you it probably was a good idea to move it on. However, I am kind of amazed that you didn't notice how similar, as in almost identical, the PS3 and 360 release schedule is. There is so little to differentiate the two that I am surprised that you just didn't sit on the 360 + Hd-Dvd for the next 6 to 12 months until a PS3 price drop and more exclusive games hit the pipeline.

For me, the PS3 will be my HD Movie player and there are a couple of unique games that I want that are only coming to PS3, so I will get it now mainly to clear out the PS2 library that I still have, and to watch Blu-ray Movies.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 01:00:52 PM »

Eh, hopefully Sony is smart enough to pump money into some new, but experienced studios to produce some new exclusives to replace the ones they've lost.

Main reason I would get a PS3 right now is to play some of the many PS2 games I missed out on and have the system be useful for future games too.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 01:31:40 PM »

Quote from: jblank on April 12, 2007, 02:30:41 AM

Quote from: Captain Caveman on April 12, 2007, 02:18:25 AM

I've seen it and I don't agree with the reviews that this one is a 4 star video quality Blu-ray.    I do know a 5 star one though --  Happy Feet.    Not a great movie though, but DIZZANG the transfer looks good.   Makes me quiver for what Cars will be like.   smile

Anyway... try going to www.highdefdigest.com.    They review both and often compare the two transfers between Blu Ray and HD Dvd.    In other words they are pretty neutral as far as the format wars go.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 02:12:40 PM »

Welcome to the Club.

Its going to be a nice system someday. As soon as more killer apps are released it will be GREAT. I have no doubt.

The controller, is too light and its not perfect, but neither is the 360.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 03:49:50 PM »

Welcome to the club.  You'll love it.

Add me up - depward!  We should play some Motorstorm sometime!

AND join team GamingTrend to CURE CANCER - team number (if I remember correctly) 60205

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 04:15:12 PM »

Heh, Dogs and Cats, Living Together!  Armageddon!!!!   icon_lol

Sounds like a good decision for you to make there J-Blank based on your feedback.   thumbsup  Hope you enjoy that nice new toy of yours.  smile  Having both High Def dvd options is teh hawtness, i'm sort of jealous sir!

This really does make me sad that Hetz isn't around anymore, because I think this just goes to show you that it's not really about being a fanboy, it's more about gaming and what each individual person enjoys about gaming for themselves.  All three consoles seem to serve up different gaming experiences that will be liked and/or disliked by a large variety of people. 

J-Blank is a perfect example of this.  As much shit as he and Hetz may have given each other, it was really about the gaming experience for each of them personally, not so much about the console war itself.  Hell, both of these guys are freaking gaming/technology whores in my opinion!   icon_lol  GET A ROOM HIPPIES!!!!!!   icon_cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: