http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:37:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have 3 ways to Buy an Xbox 360? Which is the way to go?  (Read 924 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2006, 02:30:48 AM »

Yay! My insurance company has begun paying me back for my stolem items. One of the things I'm going to re-purchase is the Xbox 360. Considering all of the hardware issues, I want an extended warranty. Which way should I go when making the purchase?

Option 1- Amazon.com

$399.99
No Tax
No Shipping charge
Free copy of Dead Rising ($49 value)
Microsoft 2 year extended warranty: $60
TOTAL= $459.99

Option 2- EB GAMES
System $399.99
Tax $31.00
1 Year extended warranty $49.99
TOTAL=$480.98

Option 3- Costco
System $399.99
Membership to Costco (Acts as an extended warranty? I would probably also use the membership to but my PSP and Microsoft Zune) $50
Tax $31.00
TOTAL=$480.99

Basically, by going through Amazon I get Dead Rising plus the system for $20 less than the other two options, but I would be using MS to service the system if it crashed. EB and Costco are a wash, but I suppose buying the Zune and PSP at Costco throws extra warranties on these items also.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:58:52 AM »

I'd immediately scracth option # 2.  It's the same as option 2 in cost plus if you buy the other items option #3 makes alot more sense.  You can use the money saved on extended warranties for more games.

Go with 3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 03:06:04 AM »

I'd go with either #2 or #3. You want to avoid the Microsoft warranty at all costs IMHO. With #2 and #3, all you have to do is take the console in and swap it out if it goes bad.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 03:26:05 AM »

Is going through MS really that bad?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 04:53:24 AM »

I am pretty sure the only way to get it at Costco is in there bundle for like $460 or so. But you get an extra wireless controller, play and charge kit and some other stuff too with a premium system.

I think that's the way to go too.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 05:31:36 AM »

I'd say go with #3 as well, but you do have to buy it as part of their package. Right now that's $475 with the extra controller, play and charge kit, and a game (I think PGR3 or Ridge Racer). But I feel very good being able to just exchange it with them if, knock on wood, anything does go wrong with my 360. Screw MS's warranty. We have to pay for shipping? Wow.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 05:43:07 AM »

gees what are you all costco shills?  im half kidding here, but come on $20 cheaper out of pocket AND a free game? (which really makes it $80 less).  not only a free game but a game thats regarded as one of the better and more unique games on the system? am i the only one that sees that as a no brainer?  i have a near launch 360 and its been fine.  even IF your machine breaks once and you went with 1, youre still even as far as options 2 and 3 are concerned.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 12:22:19 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 22, 2006, 05:43:07 AM

gees what are you all costco shills?  im half kidding here, but come on $20 cheaper out of pocket AND a free game? (which really makes it $80 less).  not only a free game but a game thats regarded as one of the better and more unique games on the system? am i the only one that sees that as a no brainer?  i have a near launch 360 and its been fine.  even IF your machine breaks once and you went with 1, youre still even as far as options 2 and 3 are concerned.

Perhaps you have missed my exploits of dealing with MS....

I say go for 3.  (You will find many more things to buy at Costco once you start shopping there, it is a great membership to have.)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 01:28:25 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 22, 2006, 03:26:05 AM

Is going through MS really that bad?

Yes.

Not only do you have to pay for your own shipping of your busted console now (unless you bought one of the models made last year), but the turnaround time is anything but prompt. And yeah, look at Arkon's stories. They're rather depressing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 01:34:31 PM »

Damn...Costco only sells package deals on Xbox 360s and PSPs? I already have an extra controller, so I have no need for a third. And that PSP bundle is #$% $300. If Costco doesn't sell a regular package then they are out, unfortunately. I have no need for the extra bloat.

So, they question now becomes save $20 and get a free copy of Dead Rising plus the 2 year MS warranty, or spend an extra $20, get no game, but have the peace of mind that I can just walk into the local EB and get a system if mine breaks. I'm assuming that it costs less than $20 to ship a broken Xbox 360 to MS, so even if the system breaks once I'm still slightly ahead.

Do EB and MS both give you refurbished or new systems?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 02:06:34 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 22, 2006, 01:34:31 PM

Do EB and MS both give you refurbished or new systems?

EB/GS will replace with what you bought, so if you bought new, you'll get new. MS you might get new, but most likely (based on the various experiences posted here) a refurb.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: