http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:04:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate to say it...  (Read 4241 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2004, 12:08:01 AM »

But I haven't touched ESPN in more than 2-3 weeks.  I've been playing Madden the last 2 weeks and having a blast now that I got the running game worked out, and the 1st week I was playing doom3.

I never thought I say it, but I like Madden a lot better.  For those who purchased/played both (over an extended period of time) what are your thoughts.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 03:11:19 AM »

I kept trying to get to like Madden but couldn't do it. On top of the running game, which can be overcome, the AI cheating has led me to believe I'll never buy another EA football game again.

During the frustration of a Madden game I looked over on the shelf, saw ESPN, and said to myself "Why am I driving myself insane with this game when there is a GOOD game sitting right there?"

I think I'm done.

:cry:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 12:35:56 AM »

I have been playing Madden and ESPN online pretty consistantly.  Madden is much better than last year.  But it still can be frustrating at times.  The linebackers leaping 5 feet into the air to knock down or intercept passes and yet consistantly dropping balls that hit them right in the chest is killing me.  Also the lack of instant replays online is very disapointing.  Now there has been a major glitch discovered when shifting formations which the cheesers are taking full advantage of.  Online leagues are going to have to outlaw formation shifts it seems.  I do like EA's online service very much though, especially with the premium pass. Meanwhile ESPN has fixed virtually all of my complaints about online league play, fixed the clipping penalty bug, and will release a roster update on the 7th.  

I will continue to play both games through the winter, but to me ESPN is still the best.  I will say that I am only speaking about the online aspects of the games.  I have not really touched the franchise modes yet.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 03:59:50 AM »

ESPN for me, only because I didn't buy Madden, and really didn't want to, either.  

smile

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 05:55:06 AM »

ya the super leaping CB's drive me nuts.  However I turned down the sliders on knockdowns and that seems to help most of the time.  I still have an extremely hard time with deep balls (like 1 out 20) and on fade outs.

I felt ESPN had too many replays and it was driving me nuts.  Madden has enough, but the way it's done is stupid.  You see them while you are picking your play, which is like ESPN, but it's so zoomed in, you don't get the full picture.  

I do miss the atmosphere of ESPN.  Madden seems so dry in that area.

But overall I think Madden is the better game.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 06:27:05 AM »

Hey PrOner I can see why you like ESPN so much after you kicked my a$$ the last game we played  :lol:

Naednek I think we look at the games from different perspectives.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 01:37:08 PM »

Can you elaborate on the clipping bug being fixed.

I didn't hear about it.  What did they do?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 01:52:17 PM »

Clipping penalties no longer deduct yards from your running back's total as they did when the game was released.

I rented Madden and again realized why I love ESPN so much.  No contest for me, ESPN all the way.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 06:09:24 PM »

ESPN hasn't seen the inside of my XBox since the day Madden was released.

Madden's franchise mode is excellent.

Sergi
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 01:45:05 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"
ESPN hasn't seen the inside of my XBox since the day Madden was released.

Madden's franchise mode is excellent.

Sergi

word.  My first week of madden I was so frustrated with it.  You can ask Gellar, I told him it's going back.  Then I put in ESPN, and was bored.  So I put Madden back in found some sliders to my liking that still kept semi-realistic stats (still tuning) and I'm loving it.  

If  we could combine Madden's gameplay with ESPN's animation and presentation, it would be the perfect game.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 02:46:22 AM »

See, I'd rather have ESPN's on the field gameplay and Fluff presentation combined with Madden's easy to use interface and deep franchise.

Sega has yet to figure out a simple way to eidt and use rosters and playbooks. Their substitution system is borked as is the depth chart. It's one thing that they MUST rip off Madden. It's just so easy to do things off the field in Madden.

The only on field change I really want in ESPN is to get rid of the really slow animations, especially when they're not necessarry. Why did the receiver just dive backwards six yards like he was reaching for the ball when I led him on a fade? Doesn't happen all the time but enough to be disparaging.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 04:19:51 AM »

If I want a great franchise mode I go with Front Office Football.  I play console based football games to play against other people.  I still think the on-field gameplay in ESPN is superior.  Hey Tebunker, what don't you like about the depth chart manipulation in ESPN? Personally I kind of like the way they did it.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 04:20:53 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
See, I'd rather have ESPN's on the field gameplay and Fluff presentation combined with Madden's easy to use interface and deep franchise.

Sega has yet to figure out a simple way to eidt and use rosters and playbooks. Their substitution system is borked as is the depth chart. It's one thing that they MUST rip off Madden. It's just so easy to do things off the field in Madden.

The only on field change I really want in ESPN is to get rid of the really slow animations, especially when they're not necessarry. Why did the receiver just dive backwards six yards like he was reaching for the ball when I led him on a fade? Doesn't happen all the time but enough to be disparaging.

I'd want bits and pieces of both from the gameplay side.  I really enjoy Madden's momentum running game, as it's so fluid.  However it is frustrating to get your back stuck onto a lineman.  Some combo of the two would be nice... Madden's momentum and flow with ESPN's animations (minus the long and unnecessary ones) would be cool.

On the passing side... I'd pretty much want all things Madden.  The Madden passing game is infinitely more rewarding for me, though there's absolutely nothing wrong with the ESPN game.

Defensively, I'd want the linebackers from ESPN with the DBs and D-Line from Madden.

Obviously I'd want the ESPN graphics, license, and damn near everything from the presentation side other than the sound effects.  Madden's crowd was better this year, though NCAA still pwnz them both.

To dream...

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 04:24:19 AM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
If I want a great franchise mode I go with Front Office Football.  I play console based football games to play against other people.  I still think the on-field gameplay in ESPN is superior.  Hey Tebunker, what don't you like about the depth chart manipulation in ESPN? Personally I kind of like the way they did it.

Ever want your Defensive End to learn how to play Defensive Tackle?  Not gonna happen in ESPN unless you do it per formation.

Want a TE to double as your backup FB?  No dice, home fry.

You can see the frustration.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 04:47:42 AM »

I guess my bias of playing these games multiplayer makes me gald it is not easy to put Jevon Kearse at tackle and Tony Gonzales in the backfield.  But I agree that if you want to do that it is much easier in Madden.  Just don't do it in the GG League  :lol:

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 11:45:10 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Quote from: "denoginizer"

No dice, home fry.

gellar

I like that.  

"No dice, home fry."   That sounds sorta old school suburban white ghetto.  Nice.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 10:03:54 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
I like that.  

"No dice, home fry."   That sounds sorta old school suburban white ghetto.  Nice.[/quote

You should talk to the guys in GGIRC.

I'm all about the old school suburban white ghetto.

gellar
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 10:34:22 PM »

LOL

Excellent !

LD

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 12:12:39 AM »

Just to add to what gellar said, go try and set up the depth chart for special teams.. what, there's no depth chart? I can't pick which two guys I want as return men? It's just easier and smoother to put guys where you want in Madden. Ea has a great interface that's easy to use. Don't even get me started on the obtuse weekly game plan that was lauded as a great thing in the reviews and previews.

Still like ESPN's on field play better, but man I want to run my team with ease.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 05:22:46 AM »

Hmm.  I've never had any problems selecting which players I want as my return men on ESPN.

Mike

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 05:37:44 AM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
Hmm.  I've never had any problems selecting which players I want as my return men on ESPN.

Mike

Niether have I.  Interesting....

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2004, 04:09:01 PM »

Tebunker just has a case of operator error, methinks.

Mike

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2004, 06:57:00 PM »

No no  no, if I put Kennison as my returner, Dante Hall gets kicked out completely from returning. You can't pick you backup or second guy. It just says pick who you want to start. It's not like the rest of the depth chart system.

I know how to use the game, it's just not an easy to use system.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2004, 08:23:53 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
No no  no, if I put Kennison as my returner, Dante Hall gets kicked out completely from returning. You can't pick you backup or second guy. It just says pick who you want to start. It's not like the rest of the depth chart system.

I know how to use the game, it's just not an easy to use system.

Sure you can.  Playing online lately, I notice my special teams are borked, but I have no problems whatsoever getting Dante Hall as my number 1 kickoff returner and Derrick Blaylock as my number 2.

Mike

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2004, 10:50:41 PM »

My biggest issue with this comes in playing as the Niners.  In the Dime package, I'd MUCH rather have Julian Peterson as my left end than Brandon Whiting.  It's actually what the Niners do in real life.  Can't do it in ESPN though.

gellar
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2004, 11:02:51 PM »

You should be able to do substituions by package in ESPN.  At least, I remember seeing the screens in the game for doing so.

Mike

Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2004, 11:45:00 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Clipping penalties no longer deduct yards from your running back's total as they did when the game was released.

Wha?

Did they send out replacement disks, like Madden did last year to fix the draft import bug?    :?
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2004, 03:22:29 AM »

Quote from: "Exodor"

Wha?

Did they send out replacement disks, like Madden did last year to fix the draft import bug?    :?

I believe that this was updated through Xbox LIVE.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2004, 02:27:24 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Quote from: "Exodor"

Wha?

I believe that this was updated through Xbox LIVE.

Yup, that is correct.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: