http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 04:23:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Fixed my PS 3 ....YLOD ... It can be done  (Read 1111 times)
outfit79
Gaming Trend Reader

Rollin on Titanium

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2009, 06:49:19 AM »

Okay I do not know if any of you have had your PS 3 do the YLOD..... I thought it would not happen , well 1 week ago my PS 3 YLOD on me... I found a nice fix from Gilksy1, his name on youtube. He takes you step by step on fixing your PS3. Let me tell you, it works... I took it all apart, cleaned, heated ( heat gun ) , appled new thermal compound( used Arctic Silver5 ), and put all back together... Bam on like donkey Kong... Sony wanted 150 to fix, I do not have warranty.. If you have a warranty, by all means send it in to fix, but if you are like me , i have the OG 60 gig 1st  release system... I just wanted to inform everyone on here with a PS3 that is YLOD, there is a fix... If this goes in another area, I'm sorry , I'm just alittle excited that I have my PS 3 back... Oh yeah it runs a helluva lot smoother , nice a quiet......   He also has a pdf file if you want to download for free.......   My hat is off to that guide.....

Quit being boring, Live it Up!!!!
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »

What exactly causes the YLOD anyway? Is it a heating issue, or something else?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 08:08:31 PM »

That's reads like spam. smile [I realize it isn't.]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »

BTW, I've heard it is much easier to scan the original receipt, photoshop the 'year' in the purchase date, and print a new copy to send in with the PS3 to avoid paying $150.   Just what I've heard.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:19:17 PM »

A lot of PS3s can be fixed by sticking the mainboard in a little type of oven made for electronics. It heats them up and kinda melts and reseals the solder on them.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
outfit79
Gaming Trend Reader

Rollin on Titanium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 07:09:25 AM »

Photoshopping the receipt..... what about the bar code that they scan in that tells them the purchase date on the computer???   The YLOD has to do with heating issue. It gets to hot and the thermal compound that the 1st ps 3 came out with was crap... When I saw mine, I was like wow.. I am not kidding when I say it runs quiet..  Only tricky part is the damn ribbon on the BD .. I had to mess with it a couple of times to get it in the clamp...

Quit being boring, Live it Up!!!!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:52:02 PM »

Help out a 360 owner here (who also hopes to be a PS3 owner fairly soon)...

I'm guessing that "OD" must be "of death" as in RRoD in the 360, but what's the rest of it?  And do you know if it has only been an issue on pre-Slim models?

icon_confused

Edit to add - okay, I see my first question in a thread further down the page...  saywhat
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:53:40 PM by mytocles » Logged

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 09:43:32 PM »

So you found that YLoD is "Yellow Light of Death" and is somewhat akin to the 360's RRoD, yes? As to the slims, I don't think they've been out long enough to know yet. Perhaps they fixed the problem by removing the yellow light?  slywink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »

Quote from: outfit79 on September 19, 2009, 07:09:25 AM

Photoshopping the receipt..... what about the bar code that they scan in that tells them the purchase date on the computer???   

You would think they would look at that, or even look in their system to see when the serial # of the PS3 was registered... but apparently they don't.  Or so I've heard smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 21, 2009, 09:43:32 PM

So you found that YLoD is "Yellow Light of Death" and is somewhat akin to the 360's RRoD, yes? As to the slims, I don't think they've been out long enough to know yet. Perhaps they fixed the problem by removing the yellow light?  slywink

Ha-ha, excellent - sounds like a MicroSoft solution!  Though I play more 360 games than anything else, I do realize how dreadful was the level of MS's "quality" control (if "was" is even correct.)  I was just thumbing through some old stacks of magazines, and found one from post-360-release (but pre- RRoD fame) and I almost really rofl'ed.  Here is the title of an article in one of those mags:

XBOX 360 - Make Room for the World's Hottest Console

One of the features of the 360 that was highlighted in that article was:

the "Ring of Light" which "visually connects you to your games, digital media, and the world.

Yup, the Ring does that, actually - if learning how to ship boxes, buy fans, suspend consoles in mid-air (or, conversely, wrapping them in towels!) is the "visual" connection they were going for .  Done... done... and done!

I think I'll put my PS3 Slim purchase off for a month or two longer;  that's about all it took for 360 owners to start hollering.

icon_razz

Btw, outfit79, I neglected to include something in my first post... Congratulations!  I can fix most Dreamcasts and PS2's but I'd be horribly afraid of taking my minor skills to the 360 or the PS3 - well done!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: