http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 02:10:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I finished Beyond Good & Evil! [Spoilers]  (Read 1299 times)
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2004, 09:30:15 PM »

I decided to dust off my half finished BG&E game a couple days ago and just beat it today.  Great game!  I haven't heard anything of a sequel, but I hope it gets one.  Too bad the sales were low for this because it deserves more than it got, IMO.

I can't find much wrong with the game as it did a whole bunch of stuff right.  

Some highlights :

- Double H.  This guy gets my vote for best party member.

- The action scene after Jade gets caught in Alpha Sections HQ.  Running and jumping on the rooftops and having Double H swing down and save her at the last minute was awesome!

- Story and the characters were great.  I really cared what happened to them as the storyline deepened.   It was sad to see Pey'j and Double H sucked up by the head Domz at the last fight.  

- Overall production value was really good.  Graphics and animation were top notch.

and some not so good.  These are all pretty minor :

- While Double H was the best sidekick, sometimes he blocked my view.  It would have been nice to have him turn transparent when the camera swung behind him.  

- It would have been nice to see more varied environments.  Most of them are pretty drab since Jade is underground or inside a factory most of the time.

-  There was a show stopping bug at one point.  There's a room that has the two exits blocked by electrical currents and you can't get out if Double H isn't there.  At one point, I got back to that room but HH wasn't there.  If I hadn't had a second save from an earlier point my game would have been over.  Multiple saves are your friend.

-  Replayability.  There isn't much unless you want to go back and find all the wildlife and get the rest of the pearls.  I didn't see any kind of unlockables for finishing the game.

The only time I started to get frustrated was the last boss battle until I found out he attacked in a set pattern. (duh)

It took me a little over 13 hours for me, but I'm sure other better players could probably finish it much faster.  It would have been nice to see it go a little longer or at least have some replay value, but it was great fun while it lasted.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 09:57:29 PM »

I did the same thing a few weeks ago.  After finishing Ninja Gaiden and Riddick,  I went back to finish BG&E.  I don't know whether I was the only one, but I found the second half better than the first (Which is why I quit playing it to begin with).  I agree with your highs and lows.  I don't think the game needed to be any longer though.  I found it to be just the right length without any indication they padded it out with useless battles.  However, the way the pearls were kinda dumped on you (getting 5+ all at once on several occasions)was annoying, it made it feel like the devs intended for the game to be longer, but needed to cut some content.
I finished in 13 hours as well.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 10:06:56 PM »

I totally and completely agree with you Nth Power.  This game had awesome graphics, a fantastic story arc, characters you could care about, and that feeling that you want to keep going.

The final boss was my big letdown in this game.  For a game so focused on stealth, the final boss was squarely focused on action.  When a game prepares you for that with little bits of training or some sort of ramp-up to get you ready for that its cool.  When its the only time you encounter it in the game, its bad.  

I have to admit that I picked this out of the bargain bin.  The marketing for this game was absolutely terrible.  I had NO CLUE that this game was a action/adventure/stealth type game.  The cover art gave me a "Barbie's Adventure" vibe....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 01:38:32 AM »

I agree fully.  To this day I thank the ConsoleGold Forum Effect for putting me onto that gem.  Shame it'll never be continued.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 04:09:51 AM »

It was awesome and i really hope they do make a sequel. Its a shame that gems like these never are well recieved. It happened with ICO and now rumors are surfacing we may never get a sequel to ICO as well.  frown
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 05:20:13 PM »

For those that haven't played, you can get more thoughts on our two reviews!
http://www.consolegold.com/GameInfo/game/757.html
http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/76.html

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: