http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:54:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I finally finished Half Life 2  (Read 1310 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »

I played the demo of Half Life 2 on my PC when it came out a few years ago, but it didn't run well so I didn't buy it.

I played the XBox port a year ago - got to chapter 3 and enjoyed it, but I stopped playing.

Then I bought the orange box. And yesterday I finished Half Life 2.

What an awesome game. I have never enjoyed a first person shooter more. There really were no truly frustrating moments, and everything felt polished.

I didn't understand the guy at the beginning, and I didn't understand the guy at the end.

But I didn't mind. I imagine this is something that the first half life would have explained to me, should I have ever played that. Or the episodic content.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »

Lucky you.... thumbsup I will be getting back to it this week I got side tracked with all the great games that came out in the past 2 months. Simply because I was not driven to complete the game for the purpose of interest but more for Achievements a. It bored the crap out of me. most of the levels just seems so long to the point you just wish it would end. MHO
I realy hope EP1 & 2 gets more interesting.
On the other hand Portal was freaking awesome. Then there is TF2...... a so so game.
I bought and traded HL1 twice because the first level could not hold my interest. so I dont know the whole story either.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »

For me, most parts of Half Life 2 were more satisfying than most games I played. The peon combine guards get pretty boring, because they're mostly not challenging, but when you're fighting against striders and gunships, and you feel REALLY outgunned, the game really shines.

There was one part at the end that I absolutely hated, because it made no sense, but other than that it was a fantastic game.

I'm about 1/2 way thru episode one, and it feels like more of the same so far. Mind you, I'm trying to play thru it to get the 'one free bullet' achievement.

TF2 is very so-so; I'm disappointed because the original team fortress (for Quake) was the first FPS game I played online. I want to like it, but the only map I enjoy is 2fort. I'd be down for a gamingtrend night one night this week though.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »

Great, great game, but one that hasn't aged as well for me as I thought it would. I started replaying it in September hoping for a full Half Life 2 replay leading up to episode 2, and I just got so bored and lost focus after the ponderous canal sections that I stopped and actually haven't played Ep 2 either yet. Maybe I need to try again either way. But the first couple times I played it were pure magic.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:20:47 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on December 17, 2007, 04:12:14 PM

I'm about 1/2 way thru episode one, and it feels like more of the same so far. Mind you, I'm trying to play thru it to get the 'one free bullet' achievement.

Seriously, don't worry about the achievements on a first playthrough- it can ruin the game.  Whatever you do, don't try and do the gnome achievement on your first playthrough of Episode 2. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:26:43 PM »

Picked up The Orange Box for PS3 last week... I'm excited for my second crack (does 45 mins count for a "first attempt"?) at Half Life 2 (and Portal!).  Your positive impressions (along with seemingly every one else's) helped me pull the trigger on the game.  Looking forward to playing it sometime this week!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »

Do the gnome achievement.  You know you want to!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 04:52:39 PM »

Quote from: kathode on December 17, 2007, 04:47:13 PM

Do the gnome achievement.  You know you want to!

Not on the first time!! Listen not to them!!! I keep meaning to go back for it but the daunting nature of it keeps postponing itself for me. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:04:31 PM »

I'm not sure I have it in me to do the gnome stuff.  Especially after reading about what a pain it makes the driving parts.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 05:48:23 PM »

I tried doing the 'keep off the sand' achievement my first playthrough.

What I learned from that is that I will never let an achievement dictate how I play a game. Yes, getting across the sand without stepping on it is an 'achievement'. However, I built the bridge, got across, was pissed off by the time I got across, and didn't get the achievement. I made a mistake somewhere, no idea where, and will never ever go back to get that achievement.

People who play a game for achievements impress me, but I'm never going to play a game 'just for the sake of achievements'. I could take an hour to go through the last bit of Oblivion I need to finish the thieves guild line of quests. But I need to get my lockpicking up, and I just can't be bothered anymore. I finished that game. 940 is a fine score.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 06:02:14 PM »

Just use magic instead of lockpicking. Or buy a wad of lockpicks from the dude outside the main city. (20/per) and hit up the other fences... then run around with 1200 dozen lockpicks.

Oh, and to get your alteration magic skill up, just keep unlocking unlocked doors. biggrin

As to HL2 - I hate the fact that they didn't "consolize" it.

"Root Kanal" FTL. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 06:20:40 PM »

wow, they must have dropped the ball on TF2 for the consoles.  On the PC it was (and probably still is) a blast before the avalanche of new games.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 17, 2007, 06:20:40 PM

wow, they must have dropped the ball on TF2 for the consoles.  On the PC it was (and probably still is) a blast before the avalanche of new games.
Although I love the art style, I am actually not that as high on the game itself as I thought it was.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »

I finished HL2 too on the pc but never got around to either of the extra Episodes.   I'm really considering picking this up to replay it and the Episodes.   I rarely play mp, so TF2 isn't much of a draw for me.

Only issue i ever had with HL2 is that it made me so motion sick on the vehicles i nearly had to stop playing.   I had to force myself through because i loved the game so much.   Might add this to my GF queue and play through it again.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 07:18:30 PM »

got this in a gamefly rental on saturday and quickly went through portal.  much faster than i thought i would on a first playthrough though.  maybe going through the flash game prepped me to the mechanics and the puzzles were too obvious.  still fun game and i liked the last section.  not sure how to get the cameras off the portal proof walls though. 

i did get the gimme achievements in hl2 though, and i wouldn't have gone back to do so if it weren't for the points. 

the game is still fun, and i look forward to a complete playthrough of hl2, ep1 and ep2 when i'm not messing around with the other 8 games i have going.  i'd be up for a little tf2 action, but i haven't touched it since early beta tfc, so calling my skills rusty is a understatement.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 08:49:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 17, 2007, 07:18:30 PM

not sure how to get the cameras off the portal proof walls though. 

You're overthinking it.  You don't get them off.

Here is some help:

Chamber 2: 3 cameras
Chamber 3: 3 cameras
Chamber 4: 2 cameras
Chamber 5: 3 cameras
Chamber 10: 1 camera
Chamber 11: 1 camera
Chamber 13: 3 cameras
Chamber 15: 5 cameras
Chamber 16: 5 cameras
Chamber 17: 2 cameras
Chamber 18: 2 cameras
Chamber 19: 3 cameras
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:55:00 PM by unbreakable » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 10:51:51 PM »

I actually liked the driving parts in HL2 :/

TheMissingLink on PSN
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 07:41:51 AM »

I finished the PC version earlier this year, and I found it to be a good, but not great game.  It had some great moments, but overall, I didn't think it was nearly as good as most reviews make it sound.  The final level was great fun, though, even with the incredibly easy final battle and the horrible non-ending.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »

I finished the PC version about 3 years ago, but never did complete Ep 1. I'm now about 20% into the X360 version and I'm actually enjoying it more than the PC version. I'm hoping to move right on to Ep 1 and Ep 2 just as soon as I complete HL2. I'm not paying much attention to achievments at all, although I have gotten a number of them already.  slywink
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 12:47:44 AM »

I just finished Episode 2 about 10 minutes ago.

Now I must wait patiently for episode 3.

Best first person shooter I've ever played. Everything just feels so satisfying.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 02:04:50 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 when they first came out on PC,  I played through them twice each and had a blast. However, the game has not aged well for me over the years and by the time Episode 2 was released I was sick of the series in its current form. Ep 2 just feels like more of the same and it baffles me why it took so long for it to come out after Episode 1.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 02:53:23 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 26, 2007, 02:04:50 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 when they first came out on PC,  I played through them twice each and had a blast. However, the game has not aged well for me over the years and by the time Episode 2 was released I was sick of the series in its current form. Ep 2 just feels like more of the same and it baffles me why it took so long for it to come out after Episode 1.

playtesting to make sure the Gnome achievement was possible took forever.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 04:06:38 AM »

So you basically pick up the gnome at the start and carry it around for four hours.  nod Good times?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 05:37:53 AM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on December 17, 2007, 03:43:47 PM

I didn't understand the guy at the beginning, and I didn't understand the guy at the end.

The Gman in Half-Life is kinda like the smoking "shadow" guy on the X-Files who was always messing with Mulder's head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: