http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 02:09:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I enjoyed Dawn of War's story  (Read 1259 times)
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2004, 04:20:28 PM »

The first time I enjoyed a story in an RTS was Starcraft, I liked all the characters and the cutscenes definately kept up the pacing. Dawn of War marks the second time out of all the RTS titles I've played through where the storyline was a huge factor which kept me interested during the campaign. A lot of times in an RTS I get 70% through the campaign, lose interest and jump to skirmish or online.

*spoilers*

Much of the story was about betrayal. I liked the plot twists, even though they were a little predictable. The Chaos Marines dude betrayed his commander, Isador (names might be off) betrayed the Space Marines, and so on. It was cool at the end how the stone was destroyed yet that wasn't the end, it turns out they released another powerful daemon but thats fine with me, opens up the story for an expansion.

One thing I wished is the mission where the Eldar are your allies, I wish there could have been the ability to control them or at least have them make more of an impact in the mission. I don't know how the mission went for you guys, but for me the Eldar got wiped out within the first 10 minutes, I didn't have the resources to help them. I'm hoping the expansion's focus, if there is one, is on SP.
Juntei
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 12:57:12 AM »

Yeah I too liked the story, I found it a bit short but definately set it up for an expansion.
Jow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 03:09:44 AM »

Makes me wonder if they're gonna do additional parts for the other races.  That could be entertaining.
SuperHiro
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 04:22:30 PM »

I really hope they release free content... like they did with Impossible Creatures.  That would be so awesome.  I'd want new units/races before a new campaign though, even though I realize that it's nearly impossible.

The single player campaign was alright. Frankly though, after the glorious epic that was Starcraft/Brood War everything just feels blah.  Even WCIII was pretty blah. I can't help but feel a little disappointed that the people behind Homeworld did just a standard plot.

Just Hiro will do.
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 05:24:06 PM »

I was really into the story too.  As SH mentioned, after Starcraft, everything is blah though.  DoW's SP campaign could have been so great if we could play through the eyes of each of the races.  I was hoping for a Starcraft style single player portion.  I'd definitely pick up an expansion with an emphasis on SP.
Jow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 08:54:21 PM »

I'd much rather they fix and balance some of the racial problems than introduce new ones any time soon.  The Eldar are a real mess right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: