http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 05:15:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don`t agree with this at all, do you?  (Read 2069 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2005, 10:20:58 PM »

"The DS seems to be for a weird set of people: non-gamers, and jaded jerks who want something wacky and unique." -Jeremy Parish, 1up.com

I always see that on the bottom of someone`s posts. Lord ebonstones. I have no issue with him, just the quote.
 That dude you said it must be screwy in the head. I`m a gamer. I have a highend pc, a xbox, a gamecube, a ds, and a psp. I`m not a jaded jerk. I do like wacky sometimes, and I do like unique sometimes, don`t we all? If things are NOT different and they are all the same, people complain. If things are different people still complain.
 Don`t mind me for venting. I`m just puzzled by comments like that, that`s all.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 10:41:48 PM »

The DS is too wacky and unique.  The touchscreen is a gimmick.  Touchscreens are useful for things like inputting information at a cash register....or writing information into a PDA...

A touchscreen to control elements of a video game?  They're trying too hard.  I think all that gamers want is more power to make us happy.  I'd take a better cpu in a system than the ability to use a touchscreen without a second thought.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 10:47:24 PM »

I don't know.  The DS to me really is a gimmick.  Once they can implement the touch screen other than "unwinding" something or "pushing out goldfish from someone's stomach" and make it actually a worthwhile addition to a video game, which I don't really see how they could (even metroid - touching the screen to fire somewhere?  Not my definition of fun), then I'll think it's a more or less worthwhile portable system.

It's a nice technological step, I'll give it that much.  But not one that appeals to me.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 11:20:55 PM »

I see the DS as gimmicky too, but isn't this whole little hobby that we hold so dearly built on gimmicks?

Some work better than others. Some that fail miserably and fade away, while others that work to the point that they get copied into the ground over and over again until they become old and boring and we need another gimmick.

Don't take it all that seriously.

Just do what I'd do: Take shots at LE every chance you get. Maybe you can make him cry!  :wink:

It's all good!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 11:47:38 PM »

The main problem with the DS right now is the lack of software. It has great potential, but I don't think a system has ever had such a weak launch (in my opinion of course). Also, the AAA titles coming out don't due much to debunk the whole nintendo is for kids image - Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Egg Monster Heros, Advance wars (yes, its a deep strategy game, buts its also very cutesty).

That being said, it has great potential. The dual screens and stylus interface would make it a great platform for some robust strategy games. As a recent DS purchaser, I bought the system soley for my import copy of Meteos. Other than that I'm pretty much banking on the system's future rather than its limited usefullness right now.

Basically, its an easy system to pick on right now. Side by side with the PSP it doesn't hold up software wise or hardware wise.

However it  is a system with great potential with several advantages over the PSP: dual screens, a touch screen that could allow for some complex and elegant interfaces rather than just the gimmicky rubbing and drawing games we have seen thus far, and a powerhouse of thus far unused first party franchises. Someone just needs to start exploiting these advantages, I just think nintendo released the system too soon.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 11:50:07 PM »

Ive always viewed the DS as a gimmick. I believe it was just something the big N came up with to draw some attention off the PSP. Ive never had a bit of urge to get one or even try one in the store. Ill stick with my GBA SP till I can afford a PSP. I also think that touch screen will become cloudy and scratched pretty fast.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 11:55:57 PM »

Well, I have played one extensively (not mine, I dont own one) and I have to say it doesnt feel like as much of a gimmick once you play it. It is great.  The only problems I have with it is the lack of games. What is with no huge franchise games coming to it? I cant believe it. not even ports of N64 games. Unbelieveable. They need to start porting games to it at the very least, and also pump some more new games into it. Yoshi tough and go does not constitute a full fledged game. I have played this a lot, and while it is fun, it isnt a big title, and this si the kind of stuff nintendo is pulling out right now. Come on nintendo, get your act together on this one.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 11:57:25 PM »

The quote is taken from the 1up Editor Roundtable on the PSP.  Here's the link to the final page where the quote occurs:  http://psp.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3138812

Quite frankly, I agree with the statement.  The DS is very gimmicky and, in my opinion, cheap.  The system is divergent in architecture, has divergent games, and appeals to a divergent set of people.  And those divergents fall widely into two categories:  people who weren't gamers to begin with, and people who were once gamers, but burned out.

Don't get me wrong.  I like (good) innovation and I like (good) originality.  I don't like either when it's fakely inspired by gimmicky design.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 12:24:51 AM »

ahhh, well...

to me, "unique" is a good thing, even "wacky" can be good, as in loads of fun.  however, i'm not a typical DS user, perhaps that's the problem:  i haven't even used the second screen since i got a DS for Christmas - but as soon as i plugged in my first SP game, i knew it would suit me fine. i like the brighter light and resulting colors, a lot.  and when my dopey nephew bought himself Minish Cap before i could give him the one i got him (Cody!!)... and i started playing that, well i'm actually playing my handheld again, even when not in a waiting room somewhere...

but Lord Ebonstone, though i realize that quantity doesn't make quality... i'm finding it hard to imagine that someone who owns - and uses - three XBoxes, three PS2s, two Dreamcasts, two NES's, and two N64's, plus a Super Nintendo - and the DS - could really be called jaded or a non-gamer or:
people who weren't gamers to begin with, and people who were once gamers, but burned out.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 12:36:54 AM »

You're posting in the wrong place. CG is mostly populated by Xbox/Sony fan-boys, rarely a good thing to say about Nintendo. (There are exceptions of course.)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 12:43:09 AM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
You're posting in the wrong place. CG is mostly populated by Xbox/Sony fan-boys, rarely a good thing to say about Nintendo. (There are exceptions of course.)

Ooook.  Maybe we would say good things about Nintendo if there were good things to say about it.  Right about now all you can say about Nintendo is that there's a Zelda game coming out for GC.  What else good can I say about it if there's no kind of Nintendo news out?

And I'm by no means a fan-boy of any system.  Game genres maybe   biggrin

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 12:45:53 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I see the DS as gimmicky too, but isn't this whole little hobby that we hold so dearly built on gimmicks?

Some work better than others. Some that fail miserably and fade away, while others that work to the point that they get copied into the ground over and over again until they become old and boring and we need another gimmick.

heh... damn good. not much i can add to that one smile ...

tho i'm pretty happy with my sp right now, what with crystal chronicles & animal crossing on the horizon, i can see myself getiing a ds somewhere down the road - which is my way of saying, yeah, i also think the launch was pretty botched, game-wise, & nintendo's yet to really catch up...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 02:18:40 AM »

I remember when handheld gaming in general was considered a gimmick; now more gameboys have been sold than any other console system.

I remember when the rumble feature was a gimmick; now people bitch if their wireless controller doesn't include it.  

I remember when wireless controllers were a gimmick; now I can't imagine playing a game without one.

I remember when HDTV support was considered a gimmick; now I bitch if I play any game that doesn't support 480p.

I remember when mature content in games was considered a gimmick to sell the game; now we have people on this board who call any game not involving women in bikinis and/or extreme violence 'kiddie'.

One man's gimmick is another man's innovation, but what do I know?  I'm just another jaded jerk....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 02:27:23 AM »

None of those things, save for handhelds themselves, are architectural decisions, Dimmona.  They're all flavors or advancements.

Two screens and a touchpad for controls ARE architectural decisions.  They affect EVERY game made for the system.

While there are gimmicks that stand the test of time, like the ones you list, there has yet to be a video game system that's 'survived' and been considered a 'good system' when its very design centered around a gimmick.  Virtual Boy, anyone?

EDIT:  And before anyone tries to mention it, no, I don't consider the move from cartridge to CD to DVD a gimmick.  That's natural evolution of the game media.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 02:44:38 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

I remember when the rumble feature was a gimmick; now people bitch if their wireless controller doesn't include it.  

I remember when wireless controllers were a gimmick; now I can't imagine playing a game without one.

I remember when HDTV support was considered a gimmick; now I bitch if I play any game that doesn't support 480p.

I remember when mature content in games was considered a gimmick to sell the game; now we have people on this board who call any game not involving women in bikinis and/or extreme violence 'kiddie'.

One man's gimmick is another man's innovation, but what do I know?  I'm just another jaded jerk....

You'll have to point out where all this gimmick talk about HDTV, and wireless controllers was because I never saw it. Those are cool ideas that make gaming better and its its to see how both of those would(ok wireless isn't about making gaming better just more convienent). Now the rumble features in controllers? Yea thats a gimmick.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 02:52:00 AM »

Also, I take issue with that.  Kiddie games aren't kiddie because they're not 'mature,' they're kiddie because they're sickeningly cute for the sole purpose of being cute.

Take Super Monkey Ball.  It's an updated Marble Madness.  Sweet.  Why oh why does it need to have a baby monkey with those big watery eyes in the middle of it, gurgling and cooing like an infant?  Way to make me feel awkward when someone asks what I'm playing and doesn't know what Marble Madness was.

There are plenty of games that involve neither bikinis nor ultra violence but simultaneously aren't kiddie.  To name a few:

-Katamari Damacy
-Lumines
-Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
-any Final Fantasy
-Tales of Symphonia
-almost any racing or sports game
-Culdcept
-etc.

Kiddie isn't defined by a lack of something.  It's defined by a presence of childish content.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 04:27:04 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Also, I take issue with that.  Kiddie games aren't kiddie because they're not 'mature,' they're kiddie becaues they're sickeningly cute for the sole purpose of being cute.

Take Super Monkey Ball.  It's an updated Marble Madness.  Sweet.  Why oh why does it need to have a baby monkey with those big watery eyes in the middle of it, gurgling and cooing like an infant?  Way to make me feel awkward when someone asks what I'm playing and doesn't know what Marble Madness was.

There are plenty of games that involve neither bikinis nor ultra violence but simultaneously aren't kiddie.  To name a few:

-Katamari Damacy
-Lumines
-Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
-any Final Fantasy
-Tales of Symphonia
-almost any racing or sports game
-Culdcept
-etc.

Kiddie isn't defined by a lack of something.  It's defined by a presence of childish content.

Agreed 100%.  Well said LE!

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 01:24:35 PM »

Why would it make you feel awkward?  You're playing in your house right?  Who is going to come up to you and make you feel awkward for playing a game like Super Monkey Ball???  A family member?  I never felt silly for playing an odd game.  It never bothers me what people think, especially family members.  I'm not picking, just trying to understand why you would feel "awkward".

You also mentioned Katamari Damacy as not being kiddie???  Wouldn't a little catoonish character with a rectangular head rolling items around in a ball looking to replace constellations in the sky that a king stole be viewed as kiddie-like???  Katamari is a puzzle game just like Monkey Ball.  I enjoyed both.  Both are very unique and offer something quirky and fun, which is what I look for in a game.

That is true.  But, to me I don't think any game is "kiddie" unless it is specifically designed for the very young (i.e., preschool level).  For example, I own and play practically every Mario/DK type of game on the Gamecube and don't see them as childish, as alot of people do.  I simply view them as being "unique" and enjoy them as such.  I never feel awkward if a relative stops by and I'm in the middle of playing Mario Party 6 or Donkey Konga, whether its with my kids or not.  How about Animal Crossing?  Love it!  I'm actually proud to play it AND talk about it.

Games are simply games whether you're playing Halo 2 or Kirby's Air Ride.  Enjoy them for what they are.   Open up your mind (not aimed at you LE - in general) and enjoy the often fantastical, quirky, odd, stimulating, and interesting worlds and characters that these developers create for us - whether or not they have watery-eyed monkeys or uncaring bloodthirsty killing machines.  Just my opinion.  smile

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2005, 06:18:25 PM »

I think that the DS has great potential, but since It's Nintendo I doubt that it will live up to it. It could be amazing for RPGs and Strategy games. There are so many games I would love to have on a handheld, and the touch screen gives mouse control to a console. I have both the DS and the PSP, and my wife adores the DS. She finds a lot of console games have too many buttons, and that the touchscreen is perfect for her. Yet we have had the DS for 4 months and I've yet to find a game that interests me. The DS will be my last Nintendo console as they really haven't got a clue.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2005, 06:33:00 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
I think that the DS has great potential, but since It's Nintendo I doubt that it will live up to it. It could be amazing for RPGs and Strategy games. There are so many games I would love to have on a handheld, and the touch screen gives mouse control to a console. I have both the DS and the PSP, and my wife adores the DS. She finds a lot of console games have too many buttons, and that the touchscreen is perfect for her. Yet we have had the DS for 4 months and I've yet to find a game that interests me. The DS will be my last Nintendo console as they really haven't got a clue.

For the record AOE has been anounced for teh DS, as well as some other strategy games.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2005, 07:43:33 PM »

Yeah, I know. A turn based version. I hope it's good. I'd rather a Civ game though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: