http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 06:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I caught one of my local Gamestops in a lie  (Read 4995 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 11:27:04 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 02, 2006, 11:18:59 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 02, 2006, 10:38:56 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2006, 09:35:47 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 02, 2006, 09:28:26 PM

To which I say, "Fourteen days on pre-owned stuff."

When did this happen?  It's always been 7 days on used games, iirc.
From the back of the receipt:

"Returns & exchanges of new and pre-owned mechandise will be accepted within 14 days of purchase."

Then they are using old receipt paper, because the stuff we use has no writing on the back except GS and EB logos.

Mine too.  No writing on the back and it says 7 days on the front.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2006, 11:41:13 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on November 02, 2006, 10:40:02 PM

My main gripe with Gamestop has always been there "gutting" practice, and to me NEW means FACTORY SEALED.

I don't buy gutted games, a couple years ago I bought a gutted one from EB and the CDKey was being used when I tried to go online.  My guess is someone copied it when the clerk wasn't looking since it was sitting right there unsealed OR the employee did it.  Either way, if it ain't sealed, I don't buy it.

You'd think they'd invest a bit into an RFID system like every other retailer on the planet.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006, 12:41:57 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 02, 2006, 09:39:54 PM

Wow, some of you have some outrageous stories. You really should make an effort to talk to the district manager of the store you are shopping at if that stuff is happening. It would do a whole hell of a lot more than complaining in a message forum.

YOu may have missed it, but I mentioned I had complained about certain GS managers in the past, only to receive nothing but a gift certificate. To the best of my knowledge, my complaint falls on deaf ears and the DM didn't even bother to call me back to find out the particulars of my story.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 12:47:17 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 02, 2006, 11:18:59 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 02, 2006, 10:38:56 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2006, 09:35:47 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 02, 2006, 09:28:26 PM

To which I say, "Fourteen days on pre-owned stuff."

When did this happen?  It's always been 7 days on used games, iirc.
From the back of the receipt:

"Returns & exchanges of new and pre-owned mechandise will be accepted within 14 days of purchase."

Then they are using old receipt paper, because the stuff we use has no writing on the back except GS and EB logos.
Ah.  Well, their mistake!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 01:24:17 AM »

For the record I wan't intending to argue with you...just mentioned it as a point of fact. Kind of like having a price sticker on something that's incorrect, but you honor it anyway.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2006, 01:41:46 AM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on November 02, 2006, 08:33:59 PM

well EB and Gamestop days are all numbered.  When the next few generations of consoles come out they will have protection built in them which will link a console to a copy.  Meaning the first time you play a game the console will imprint its number on the software and that cd will only be playable in that one system.  Say goodbye to used games sales ( the only thing keeping gamestop in business).  This will help drive new game sales, since used games make no money for the publishers.  This will also change how rented games work. As we have begun to see, in the next generations ( after this ps3 and 360 one) most if not all rented games will be over the net, you will be able to download and play for as many days as you pay for, again all the money goes to sony, microsoft etc instead of blockbuster.

SO within the next 10 years all these niche gaming stores will be gone, a dinosaur, and something you can tell your grandkids about.

what a bunch of bullshit.  The small modding scene will go crazy and piracy will be even more rampant.  I'll have no problem with that happening either.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2006, 02:59:16 AM »

I rarely go into GameStop or EBGames stores at all.  The GameStop close to me I have gone in before but have yet to ever even have a sales person say one word to me.  There was one time I had game in hand ready to purchase and after 5 minutes of standing at the counter they never once came over to take my money.  The EBGames store close by seems to have a nice staff but the only thing I have purchased there was when they had used PC games going for dirt cheap.

What I fail to understand though is the big deal with pre-ordering a game?  Pretty much any game I have wanted on release day can easily be found at Best Buy, Target, Circuit City, Walmart, etc. on release day.  Some times I see deals where you get a free t-shirt or whatever but other than that what benefit is there?  The one time I pre-ordered a game was for BattleField 2 on PC.  Game came out release day and I had to wait 3 freaking days later for it to show up.

Regards,
Pig
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2006, 01:12:13 PM »

I've preordered games; but primarily because I've traded in old games at points where values were higher and didn't necessarily want to buy anything new yet.  At one poiint I had that credit on a gift card, which I managed to lose (with $8 on it so wasn't really that big a deal).

But in general, if I can't play even a highly anticipated game on day one, I'll survive quite nicely.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »

I was looking for FIFA 07 yesterday and went to a GameCrazy and asked if they have any copies.

"Got that preordered?"

"Nope, impulse purchase."

"We have 3 copies, all preordered."

So he calls the closest GameCrazy and they say they have a "few" copies.

So I drive down there, in a new area, so it's a little stressful, and it's a bit of a drive in traffic, and I get to that GameCrazy, ask them if they have any copies of FIFA 07 and they do!  Except they're all preordered. 

WTF.  What a waste of time!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 03, 2006, 01:33:31 PM

I was looking for FIFA 07 yesterday and went to a GameCrazy and asked if they have any copies.

"Got that preordered?"

So I drive down there, in a new area, so it's a little stressful, and it's a bit of a drive in traffic, and I get to that GameCrazy, ask them if they have any copies of FIFA 07 and they do!  Except they're all preordered. 

Yep, that'd be an instant call to the DM for me.  What a load of shit.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2006, 03:02:31 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2006, 06:03:14 PM

I'm not against preordering on principle, but sometimes I don't know I want a game until the release is imminent and I'm not going to take the time to make an extra stop at the store just to preorder something.  If they would get their act together and let me preorder online for local store pickup, I would actually preorder a lot more. 
I would like this too.  I hate going into the store and having to hear their bullshit sales pitches.  'Did you bring your trade-ins?' What the fuck do you think?  Do you SEE them?  'Do you want to pre-order <random shit console game_001> today?'  Etc etc.

I want games ASAP and I dont want any lip, thats all.  I used to just get them all mail order next-day from ebgames.com but that was when the 1 day shipping was a lot cheaper and I wasnt being charged sales tax.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2006, 03:14:13 PM »

When I ran an EB, they started telling everyone to greet every customer by asking "Did you bring in anything to trade in today?"  I got into an argument with my regional manager, who apparently came up with the idea, because I told him it was stupid to ask that to someone who comes in empty-handed.

I caught a bunch of flak from him, and he actually threatened my job, but I had my guys just greet customers with a simple "How's it going."  I'm so glad I don't work there anymore.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2006, 03:21:40 PM »

When you call up a game store and they go into their 60 second "Thank you for calling...have you heard about...did you know we are offering...where you can get...for only...how may i help you" speech, is there a preferred polite way to tell them you don't care and you just want to ask them a question?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2006, 03:23:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 03, 2006, 03:21:40 PM

When you call up a game store and they go into their 60 second "Thank you for calling...have you heard about...did you know we are offering...where you can get...for only...how may i help you" speech, is there a preferred polite way to tell them you don't care and you just want to ask them a question?

Short of telling them to shut up, or letting them blabber on for a while, I don't think so.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2006, 04:05:22 PM »

"Got that preordered?"

Dude, I thought it was just the one store! WTF man, complain!
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2006, 04:22:17 PM »

I'm so happy that I have a solid alternative locally-owned gameshop to rely upon.

I stepped into a Gamestop this week for the first time since this spring, and had one of the most horrible shopping experiences of my life. When the moron clerk started ripping on "that other store across the street" (my friendly local game shop), I came this close to putting my credit card away and saying "you know what, I think I'll just wait until I find this at 'that other store across the street'".  I was picking up Deadwood Season 2 used for a great price and the Ultima Online 9th Anniversary edition, the former on a whim and the latter because I doubt I'll find it anywhere else.

I regret not listening to my gut and leaving the store with those items unpurchased. It's been bugging me all week. icon_evil

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2006, 04:35:10 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 03, 2006, 03:14:13 PM

When I ran an EB, they started telling everyone to greet every customer by asking "Did you bring in anything to trade in today?"  I got into an argument with my regional manager, who apparently came up with the idea, because I told him it was stupid to ask that to someone who comes in empty-handed.

I caught a bunch of flak from him, and he actually threatened my job, but I had my guys just greet customers with a simple "How's it going."  I'm so glad I don't work there anymore.

That's similiar to back when I worked for WaldenSoftware. I got shopped once by a lady in a business suit looking for some office software. I ended up getting a 95, because I didn't mention to her about some nintendo promotion or something (it's been a while). Even though I got a 95, the DM still complained, because that was the big promotion. I just figured that even if this lady had a nintendo or something, she was coming in to look at office software and didn't want to be bothered by any game promo's.
This is just to say that a LOT of the "stupid" things we see are coming down from corporate and they push the stores real hard. Sometimes even to the point of firing people.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2006, 05:45:23 PM »

"Got that preordered?"

This is EXACTLY the kind of shit that has spawned new "Prick-Customer" movement.  I admit to partaking in this movement.  I routinely charge-back shit on my credit card if I get screwed.  I routinely  exploit loss-leader sales, mis-priced items, stacked coupons and other shady tactics. I don't feel bad for doing it at all, as all of the companies I do this at have a history of screwing over customers. 

I call every company I do business with to bitch, moan, cry or threaten to cancel. It always works, I got $20 off my monthly cable bill, I got $5.00 off my monthly Blockbuster Online bill and many more things. (good ole' customer retention departments)  Is it cheap and sleezy?  You betcha!  Its dog eat dog out there, and I treat any business transaction as a hostile transaction thanks to bastard companies like EB/Gamestop and others from souring my general attitude about retail corporations.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2006, 07:35:43 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 03, 2006, 05:45:23 PM

"Got that preordered?"

This is EXACTLY the kind of shit that has spawned new "Prick-Customer" movement.  I admit to partaking in this movement.  I routinely charge-back shit on my credit card if I get screwed.  I routinely  exploit loss-leader sales, mis-priced items, stacked coupons and other shady tactics. I don't feel bad for doing it at all, as all of the companies I do this at have a history of screwing over customers. 

I call every company I do business with to bitch, moan, cry or threaten to cancel. It always works, I got $20 off my monthly cable bill, I got $5.00 off my monthly Blockbuster Online bill and many more things. (good ole' customer retention departments)  Is it cheap and sleezy?  You betcha!  Its dog eat dog out there, and I treat any business transaction as a hostile transaction thanks to bastard companies like EB/Gamestop and others from souring my general attitude about retail corporations.

I can't wait for the day this tactic backfires on you.

[Kobra] Whine whine whine!
[Company] Ok, we don't need your business.  Your services are all turned off.  Kthxbye.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2006, 07:49:14 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 03, 2006, 05:45:23 PM

"Got that preordered?"

Dude, no one is at all suprised. Just about everything you suggest or espouse is some sort of whiny, shady, or questionable business practice. Starforce FTW.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2006, 08:17:31 PM »

Kobra said:
I call every company I do business with to bitch, moan, cry or threaten to cancel.

Ouch, where's your dignity? I mean you are right, it's a dog eat dog world out there, and you've decided to be a bitch.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:19:14 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2006, 08:24:35 PM »

I think some of you are taking this too far, it's not THAT horrible of a retail environment. Sure, they can pressure you with suggestive selling, but is it that difficult to interrupt them and say "Sorry, I'm not interested, please don't offer me anything else"? That would shut them up right there, and if they make some snide remark, ask to talk to that person's manager (even if it's the store manager).

Oh, and I have a tip for people who wish to make their complaints heard. There is actually an 800 number that you can call, I forget what the heck the number is though, and the number of calls is actually tallied in each district. If a district gets a lot of these calls, they go on some sort of list and the DM is given hell from the Regional Manager. I remember my DM telling me about that. So if you wan't to beat them, beat them at their own game by hurting their productivity.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2006, 03:30:42 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 03, 2006, 08:24:35 PM

I think some of you are taking this too far, it's not THAT horrible of a retail environment. Sure, they can pressure you with suggestive selling, but is it that difficult to interrupt them and say "Sorry, I'm not interested, please don't offer me anything else"? That would shut them up right there, and if they make some snide remark, ask to talk to that person's manager (even if it's the store manager).

Oh, and I have a tip for people who wish to make their complaints heard. There is actually an 800 number that you can call, I forget what the heck the number is though, and the number of calls is actually tallied in each district. If a district gets a lot of these calls, they go on some sort of list and the DM is given hell from the Regional Manager. I remember my DM telling me about that. So if you wan't to beat them, beat them at their own game by hurting their productivity.

Or just kick them in the jimmy and run like hell!  icon_biggrin

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2006, 04:44:13 AM »

I'm looking forward to picking up my copy of Gears of War on Wednesday.  I was in earlier this week to order that and Guitar Hero 2.  While there, I asked when each would be available.  Guy looks in the book, tells me GoW is Nov. 8, and Guitar Hero is Nov. 1.  That is odd, thinks I, since GH should be street dated.  Ah! I think, he's looking at the ship date, not the street date that's earlier in the entry.  I ask him if he's sure that GH isn't street dated.  He repeats that it's due on the first.

Fast forward to the first.  Surprise, surprise, no call to get my copy of GH2 at Gamestop, but Wonderpug finds copies at a Strawberries, and we both partake.  Joy surrouds us both, and the multitudes gnash their teeth and rend their garments.

On Wed, I'll be going in to get GoW.  While I'm there, they'll say, "Oh, we also have your copy of Guitar Hero!"  To which I will reply, "Keep it, and apply the money toward GoW, as I aquired my copy last week."  I'm sure they'll tell me I'm bullshitting them, at which point I will produce my GH2 reciept, and grin smugly.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2006, 04:55:30 AM »

Heh heh. Don't be too terribly hard on them. It could be a new holiday hire slywink

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2006, 06:04:34 AM »

I think it might have been, but that's really no excuse.  I know I trained my holiday hires to be able to read the release list within the first hour they worked for me because, what with it being the pre-holiday season, it might come up once or twice.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2006, 07:44:24 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 03, 2006, 04:05:22 PM

"Got that preordered?"

Why are you getting upset at this, seriously? It doesn't sound like the guy lied to you. It's always a big title. That's one of the problems with making an impulse purchase. It may not always be around.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Some of you people are sounding like the biggest whiners there are.

Just say no thanks or you aren't interested for the counter talk. I could take it when I was there. I simply stopped whatever offer was being said and moved on with the transaction. I can't believe that none of you people have ever worked for a company that made you do and say things that I you didn't like while working there. I hated pushing the preorders and trade ins on people. I had to do it if I wanted to keep the position. Admittedly it was not a full time thing and I wasn't too worried about it but even so it wasn't the end of the world. As for the clueless employees that you encounter, take it up with the manager there on duty if it's a huge deal to you.

It's a shame that you people always seem to have problems with your stores and transactions. I'd hate to see what happened if there was a real emergency bigger than not getting a game when you went into a store...  Roll Eyes

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2006, 08:08:07 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on November 07, 2006, 07:44:24 AM

"Got that preordered?"

Why are you getting upset at this, seriously? It doesn't sound like the guy lied to you. It's always a big title. That's one of the problems with making an impulse purchase. It may not always be around.

Just say no thanks or you aren't interested for the counter talk. I could take it when I was there. I simply stopped whatever offer was being said and moved on with the transaction. I can't believe that none of you people have ever worked for a company that made you do and say things that I you didn't like while working there. I hated pushing the preorders and trade ins on people. I had to do it if I wanted to keep the position. Admittedly it was not a full time thing and I wasn't too worried about it but even so it wasn't the end of the world. As for the clueless employees that you encounter, take it up with the manager there on duty if it's a huge deal to you.

It's a shame that you people always seem to have problems with your stores and transactions. I'd hate to see what happened if there was a real emergency bigger than not getting a game when you went into a store...  Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Spoiler for Hiden:
Roll Eyes

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2006, 08:28:47 AM »

"Got that preordered?"

I'll whine when I'm, after calling another store, being told they have a "few" copies only to drive 30 minutes in rush-hour traffic expecting to grab one of these "few" copies only to find out they were already preordered.  I don't know about you, but time's a premium for me.  I consider myself a very patient person, but when something as easy as saying "the few copies have already been preordered" could save me an hour of my time, and isn't said, I'm a little irked about it. 

My apologies for being one of those "people" who value their time.  Next time an hour of my time is wasted because of someone's laziness, I'll reference your post and sock myself in the nuts for being such a drama queen.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2006, 08:30:59 AM »

"Got that preordered?"

Winnar for clueless post of the night. Utterly ignoring the inconvenience, rudeness, miscommunication, misinformation, and frustration. And goddamnit, when did people start forgetting its customer service. Its not the other way around. He doesn't owe anyone in that store a damn thing. They owe him service and appropriate behavior. Its their job, its why they get paid. I know TML, and I know he reacted 1/10 of the annoyance than 9/10 people on this forum would have over this whole thing. Seriously, read the entire thread, and then come back and tell us all to stop whining.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2006, 08:35:14 AM »

Quote from: Kagath

I think you need to re-read the section of of the thread that you quoted and then go over what TML actually said. If you still don't understand why he's mad, go over it again. If at that point you still don't understand his general frustration with the employees of Gamecrazy then maybe you should work on your reading comprehension and then check out what other people would consider to be good customer service in TML's situation. I think you'll find that both are lacking.

Doing stupid shit like that got people written up when I worked retail. If it was a repeat problem then you generally got fired.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:38:04 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2006, 08:59:19 AM »

Aww I must have hurt some feelings here.

Yes I did read the thread. It didn't seem to be asked if it was available for a impulse purchase. Admittedly, it should have been asked but wasn't. That's what happens when you deal with clueless counterjockeys.

I think my biggest beef with people's responses here are that they generally don't do anything about it. Aside from running home and posting in forums about it. People complain all the time about the stores/franchises and yet make it sound like they keep frequenting the places even after the problems occurred. Have a problem with someone? Pick up the fucking phone and let them know. Make a scene. Refuse to go there regardless of their offers. Offenses like that would have gotten me fired as well. They didn't because I was courteous and tried to help the person. It's not a huge deal. Go do business somewhere else if you don't like thiers. Oh I forgot. It's cool to hate and complain about clueless gaming sales people and stores without doing anything about it. I wish there was an emoticon for me twirling my finger in the air.

Yes, I'm an evil bastard for not joining in the majority of the thread...

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2006, 12:27:46 PM »

"Got that preordered?"

You can't be serious.......right?

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2006, 12:33:18 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on November 07, 2006, 08:59:19 AM

Aww I must have hurt some feelings here.

Yes I did read the thread. It didn't seem to be asked if it was available for a impulse purchase. Admittedly, it should have been asked but wasn't. That's what happens when you deal with clueless counterjockeys.

I think my biggest beef with people's responses here are that they generally don't do anything about it. Aside from running home and posting in forums about it. People complain all the time about the stores/franchises and yet make it sound like they keep frequenting the places even after the problems occurred. Have a problem with someone? Pick up the fucking phone and let them know. Make a scene. Refuse to go there regardless of their offers. Offenses like that would have gotten me fired as well. They didn't because I was courteous and tried to help the person. It's not a huge deal. Go do business somewhere else if you don't like thiers. Oh I forgot. It's cool to hate and complain about clueless gaming sales people and stores without doing anything about it. I wish there was an emoticon for me twirling my finger in the air.

Yes, I'm an evil bastard for not joining in the majority of the thread...

You have no idea what you are talking about. Every single person in this thread has a valid beef and if you can't see that, then it HAS to be intentional. Posting the info on a message board does do something about it; it alerts others to potential problems, and maybe causes others to not patronize the company with their time.

As someone else pointed out, you don't seem to be understanding the concept of customer service, or at a minimum, decency. You don't lie, mislead, or try to intimidate your customers, but I guess in Kagath world, its fine to do so, and if they "whine about it", its their problem.

Spare us.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2006, 01:08:15 PM »

The only thing that TML doesn't make clear is what he said or did when he got to the other store and was told they were all pre-ordered. Did he say, I was just at XXX store and they called and you said you had some copies so I drove all the way over to get one? I don't know because he didn't tell us. I think this is really what Kagath is pointing out. TML just got upset and posted on a message board without saying anything to the store clerk.

TML's complaint is valid, but it would be nice to know if he asked the second store about why they said one thing and now another. Otherwise it's partly his fault for taking it in the rear on a game he wanted.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2006, 01:40:20 PM »

I went in last night to my Gamestop to put my copy of Bully towards GoW.  The guy behind the counter I've dealt with a couple times, and just 'gets' that I'm not the type who really cares if I get a game on release date or not.  But I asked when they'd have GoW in (Wednesday afternoon)...  I went on to ask when my preorder for Viva Pinata would be in -- and the other clerk who hadn't been paying attention finally tuned in when he said "Viva Pinata will be here on Friday" -- she piped in "Oh that looks like a really cute game, did you preorder yet?".  He looked at her with a look similar to the one I give my dog when I tell her to get in her basket.  It did my heart good.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2006, 01:42:37 PM »

Quote from: TML
I consider myself a very patient person, but when something as easy as saying "the few copies have already been preordered" could save me an hour of my time, and isn't said, I'm a little irked about it.

Yeah, it used to be if I called and asked if a game was in they would usually say something like "Did you preorder?  If so, yeah, we got it in."  Now, if I call and ask it's usually just "Yes" or "No" but I find that, even if they answer with a "Yes", I have to ask "Do you have copies available for non-preorders?" just so I make sure I don't waste my time. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2006, 02:32:07 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 07, 2006, 01:08:15 PM

The only thing that TML doesn't make clear is what he said or did when he got to the other store and was told they were all pre-ordered. Did he say, I was just at XXX store and they called and you said you had some copies so I drove all the way over to get one? I don't know because he didn't tell us.

I wondered about that, too. It's not acceptable to me to have a customer go that far out of their way for nothing.
We all make mistakes, but you have to view mistakes as an opportunity to provide great customer service.
I think people almost expect you to screw things up these days, but they don't expect you to go out of your way to make it right.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2006, 03:03:34 PM »

Eh, I guess I'm a giant wuss since I'm an introvert and am not really into the whole creating-a-scene stuff, then.  Shame on me on secretly hating the place and whining and whining and whining (I'm going back there to pick up Gears of War + Guitar Hero 2, it's not like I'm emotionally scared, it was just a story I shared). 

I'd say that when one GameCrazy employee calls another and asks about the availability of a title, that about 99.999999% of the time, it's for somebody who wants to buy the game, not someone who's merely interested if the title got shipped, or doing a survey on when games get to GameCrazy's or something.

And yeah, I did tell the GameCrazy employee that another employee had called about the title and that they had a few copies...but his response was a shrug and "yeah, they're all preordered."

Eh, I thought it was a nice, harmless little story to keep the discussion going (rah, rah, rah!), but apparently I'm a clueless idiot for not kicking over a magazine rack.

TheMissingLink on PSN
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2006, 03:07:02 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on November 07, 2006, 03:03:34 PM

Eh, I guess I'm a giant wuss since I'm an introvert and am not really into the whole creating-a-scene stuff, then.  Shame on me on secretly hating the place and whining and whining and whining (I'm going back there to pick up Gears of War + Guitar Hero 2, it's not like I'm emotionally scared, it was just a story I shared). 

I'd say that when one GameCrazy employee calls another and asks about the availability of a title, that about 99.999999% of the time, it's for somebody who wants to buy the game, not someone who's merely interested if the title got shipped, or doing a survey on when games get to GameCrazy's or something.

And yeah, I did tell the GameCrazy employee that another employee had called about the title and that they had a few copies...but his response was a shrug and "yeah, they're all preordered."

Eh, I thought it was a nice, harmless little story to keep the discussion going (rah, rah, rah!), but apparently I'm a clueless idiot for not kicking over a magazine rack.

No you aren't, don't sweat this other guy and the crap he said to ya.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: