http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 02:04:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I caught one of my local Gamestops in a lie  (Read 4936 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2006, 05:37:19 PM »

A few weeks ago, I was on the fence about whether or not to buy Splinter Cell: DA, so I never pre-ordered it. Launch day comes, the reviews roll in, and the game looks to be a hit. That afternoon, I go to one of my Gamestops to purchase the regular edition of the game and am told that they only have the Collectors Edition, that they didn't get any regular editions except for what was pre-ordered (yeah right). So, I figure, ah, its 10 bucks, big deal, lets bite the bullet and get the CE, and I did that. The same evening, maybe 4 hours later, I call back and get another person (not the store manager I spoke to when I bought my game. He is the person that said they didn't get them) and ask if they have the regular edition. He asks me to hold on, comes back on the phone a few seconds later, and says, "Yeah, we have it". I say, "Can you hold one for me, I want to exchange a game for that particular one", and he says, "We have about a dozen of them, so we should have one when you get here.

I was pissed. They lied to me, a good customer, but someone who rarely preorders games, but almost always buys from that store. This person that manages this GS, ALWAYS stresses pre-orders, and politely lectures me after I rebuff their attempts to preorder this game or that game, even after I explain to them that I rarely plan out my game purchases and often make my decision at the time releases hit the store, when I can read reviews of the games. I see no need to preorder something I may not buy, but they try and beat you over the head with this preorder bullshit, and it bothers me.

I guess this time he saw an opportunity to "teach me a lesson" and make some extra money at the same time. By giving me that version, he made money, and thought he could make me think twice about pre ordering titles (even though I won't preorder anything at his store ever again). This really bothered me, as does the entire preorder thing, in fact, it made me think about something; I wonder if they are using preorders as a vehicle to keep less stock in the store, for whatever reason. With their focus on used games, do you guys think they are doing this to keep the products they make the least amount of money on, at a minimum, while they continue to pimp the used stuff like crazy? It does seem like the new inventories are lower (though for releases like SC:DA they always get kaboodles of them) while the used take up the majority of wall/floor space.

In any event, you guys have any comments about preordering or the policies for buying games at Gamestops and EB's? I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 05:45:12 PM »

Wow. That is pretty low.  I've personally stopped pre-ordering most things as the store I go to usually gets enough copies.  That said, I do pre-order collector's editions that I'm interested in.  This isn't the way to motivate people though....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 05:46:36 PM »

Gamestop/EB games lying?  Oh the shock!

Seriously, this seems to be a part of their business model.  I had a moron at a local EB refuse to sell me a game a few months ago because I didn't preorder it, and I know for a fact he had plenty copies - afterall, PC gaming is dead, right?  Of course, I have had them try to pull the "All we got are collectors editions" on me before, but I am too cheap to spend an extra $10.00 for some dimestore map and fancier box that will be tossed on the floor anyway - so it never works.

Screw EB and Gamestop, I so badly want to see them go out of business..

PS: On your reciept is a web link, file a complaint there so the whiney DM can call you and cry.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 05:50:58 PM »

Before the DS Lite came out I lost track of the number oif people who posted, "I was at my local EB and they only had one pre-order left so I grabbed it." You can't trust anything the counter-monkeys say. Now the latest lie that EB/Gamestops reps are telling people is related to Gears of War. If you pre-order, you can get the game on the 8th. If you don't, you won't be able to buy the game until the 12th." What a crock of shit.

The last straw that broke the camel's back for me with regards to EB/Gamestop was when I was standing in line and watching a GameStop clerk pressuring an 11-year-old boy to purchase game insurance. The kid was obviously down to his last few dollars (he paid for part of the game in quarters) and the clerk was doing just about everything but twist his arm to get the kid to buy in.

I try to avoid GS/EB whenever humanly possible now. If it means waiting a couple of extra days for a game, so be it.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 05:51:12 PM »

I only pre-order a game I know is going to be good (Guitar Hero 2, Final Fantasy XII, etc.)  Otherwise, I need to read reviews (not for the score, but the content of the review) to determine if a game I thought I might like is still worth getting.  From what I have seen, I do think Gamestops and EBs use pre-orders to gauge how many units they need to order on less popular titles.  For something like a Gears of War, they are going to have some extras.  But for a Contact on DS or something like they, they usually don't order more than they have pre-orders for and if they do, it is only like 1-2 units extra, from what I have seen.  Is it Misguided that works for Gamestop on these boards?  Maybe he can comment on whether my perception is reality.

At any rate, the only real reason I go to Gamestop still is because I don't feel like going to a larger store to get my game.  However, I am starting to realize that I think it actually takes more time for me to get a game in a Gamestop because there are only 2 people in there tops and if people have trade-ins, which they usually do, it backs things up.  So, I think the Best Buys and Targets might start getting my stuff unless I have some trade-in credit, because I really am tired of constantly being badgered about preorders.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 05:52:05 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 02, 2006, 05:45:12 PM

Wow. That is pretty low.  I've personally stopped pre-ordering most things as the store I go to usually gets enough copies.  That said, I do pre-order collector's editions that I'm interested in.  This isn't the way to motivate people though....

Here is the kicker Ron, I have almost exclusively done my business with them for over a year now, and gone out of my way to cultivate an excellent relationship with the manager, even preordering games that ordinarily I wouldn't have preordered (NCAA Football, NBA Live, etc), to assist in building the business relationship. Still, even after me spending a shit load of money there, preordering a PS3 and the other games I mentioned, and coming in and buying between 4-8 titles a month, I get that look, or that pause, when they ask if I preordered it and I say no. Why do they care? It's $60.00 either way!!! They get my money and business, and everyone is happy. Why lie to me, or give me the lecture and disappointed tone, when I say I am not interested in preordering, or didn't preorder, but am coming to buy? It kills me and I just don't understand it.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 05:54:34 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on November 02, 2006, 05:50:58 PM

Before the DS Lite came out I lost track of the number oif people who posted, "I was at my local EB and they only had one pre-order left so I grabbed it." You can't trust anything the counter-monkeys say. Now the latest lie that EB/Gamestops reps are telling people is related to Gears of War. If you pre-order, you can get the game on the 8th. If you don't, you won't be able to buy the game until the 12th." What a crock of shit.

The last straw that broke the camel's back for me with regards to EB/Gamestop was when I was standing in line and watching a GameStop clerk pressuring an 11-year-old boy to purchase game insurance. The kid was obviously down to his last few dollars (he paid for part of the game in quarters) and the clerk was doing just about everything but twist his arm to get the kid to buy in.

I try to avoid GS/EB whenever humanly possible now. If it means waiting a couple of extra days for a game, so be it.

If I was the boys parent, that employee and I would have had a chat about that.

If these guys are really struggling financially, like I hear they are, why are they doing their damndest to try to piss off their customers? Especially those with cash in hand trying to buy a game.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 05:56:09 PM »

Quote from: The Grue
From what I have seen, I do think Gamestops and EBs use pre-orders to gauge how many units they need to order on less popular titles.

Yeah, one of the Gamestop's I went to looking for Devil Summoner didn't get a single copy in on release day because no one in the store preordered it. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 05:58:18 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 02, 2006, 05:46:36 PM

Gamestop/EB games lying?  Oh the shock!

Seriously, this seems to be a part of their business model.  I had a moron at a local EB refuse to sell me a game a few months ago because I didn't preorder it, and I know for a fact he had plenty copies - afterall, PC gaming is dead, right?  Of course, I have had them try to pull the "All we got are collectors editions" on me before, but I am too cheap to spend an extra $10.00 for some dimestore map and fancier box that will be tossed on the floor anyway - so it never works.

Screw EB and Gamestop, I so badly want to see them go out of business..

PS: On your reciept is a web link, file a complaint there so the whiney DM can call you and cry.

They won't do anything about it. I literally almost got into a physical confrontation with the former manager in our Bristol Mall Gamestop (he has since been fired for his behavior) over my insistence on purchasing a new game, rather than a used one (he rolled his eyes at me and called me "idiotic" for not buying the used one) and all I got was a $10.00 gift certificate (not even a card) from Gamestop, with no explanation, no letter of apology, NOTHING.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 05:59:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2006, 05:56:09 PM

Quote from: The Grue
From what I have seen, I do think Gamestops and EBs use pre-orders to gauge how many units they need to order on less popular titles.

Yeah, one of the Gamestop's I went to looking for Devil Summoner didn't get a single copy in on release day because no one in the store preordered it. 

Do they just not think that people go into stores for games anymore? I'm sure we have all gotten surprised about a release, or changed our mind about a game, and wanted to pick one up on the spur of a moment kind of thing.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 06:00:25 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 02, 2006, 05:54:34 PM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on November 02, 2006, 05:50:58 PM

If I was the boys parent, that employee and I would have had a chat about that.

If these guys are really struggling financially, like I hear they are, why are they doing their damndest to try to piss off their customers? Especially those with cash in hand trying to buy a game.

Niche titles need to be pre-ordered, no doubt, but for stuff like GoW, I can't see the point.  heh, this reminds me...so as I'm walking out the door after picking up NWN2 yesterday, one of the newbie counterhuggers calls out to me and says "Oh, hey, we are doing Halo 3 preorders!  We'll have all three versions of the game!   Its only 5 dollars, 10 dollars, or 25 dollars down for the regular, CE, or Legendary versions!"   The manager waits for him to finish his speil and says "You can't hard sell this guy.  He is an ex manager and gets most of his games for free." and starts laughing.  The new guy looked like he had been whipped with a newspaper.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 02, 2006, 05:59:40 PM

Do they just not think that people go into stores for games anymore? I'm sure we have all gotten surprised about a release, or changed our mind about a game, and wanted to pick one up on the spur of a moment kind of thing.

That's what bugs me.  I'm not against preordering on principle, but sometimes I don't know I want a game until the release is imminent and I'm not going to take the time to make an extra stop at the store just to preorder something.  If they would get their act together and let me preorder online for local store pickup, I would actually preorder a lot more. 
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 06:05:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2006, 06:03:14 PM

Quote from: jblank on November 02, 2006, 05:59:40 PM

That's what bugs me.  I'm not against preordering on principle, but sometimes I don't know I want a game until the release is imminent and I'm not going to take the time to make an extra stop at the store just to preorder something.  If they would get their act together and let me preorder online for local store pickup, I would actually preorder a lot more. 

Now see THAT is something that would work. I live in Bristol TN, work 25 miles away in Elizabethon, TN, and our Gamestops are in Bristol, VA 3 miles from our house and 6 miles from our house, so its not easy for me to always get around to preordering. The thing is, they GENUINELY get bothered if you didn't preorder the game, and that just confuses the hell out of me.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 06:14:23 PM »

It may have to do with available stock.

If people don't pre-order, they get an allotment that is arbitrary. I don't know why they would TRULY care, but it could be related to running out of the non-preorder stock on day-1 and having pissed off people until the next shipment comes in.

That, or they get badgered by their managers to do so.

I preorder many games, and just move money around. If there was a game I wanted and pre-ordered and the FE (forum effect) pushed me in the OUT! camp, I'd just go in and move the money. There is no penalty to doing that.

I should pre-order 45 copies of Barbie Horse Adventures 2 : Ridin' Bareback and then cancel them all. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 06:18:47 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 02, 2006, 06:14:23 PM

If people don't pre-order, they get an allotment that is arbitrary. I don't know why they would TRULY care, but it could be related to running out of the non-preorder stock on day-1 and having pissed off people until the next shipment comes in.

I preorder many games, and just move money around. If there was a game I wanted and pre-ordered and the FE (forum effect) pushed me in the OUT! camp, I'd just go in and move the money. There is no penalty to doing that.

I should pre-order 45 copies of Barbie Horse Adventures 2 : Ridin' Bareback and then cancel them all. Tongue

This WAS the manager I dealt with and his words to me were that they got no other game copies in, other than preorders.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 06:31:59 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 02, 2006, 06:18:47 PM

Quote from: Purge on November 02, 2006, 06:14:23 PM

This WAS the manager I dealt with and his words to me were that they got no other game copies in, other than preorders.

But that manager is getting badgered by his regional manager, and that person by corporate.  It's a company-wide policy to cram pre-orders down people's throats, and corporate is tracking it.

Doesn't excuse the behavior, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 06:38:54 PM »

I really used to like my GS, but they've really started going downhill since the manager left a month back.  They've gotten way more pushy about pre-orders and 'upgrades' (i.e. regular edition to CE).  I usually pre-order games that I know I'll want or games that are niche titles, but I don't want to have some schlub pushing me on pre-orders I don't want.  The counter monkey asked me 4 seperate times if I wanted to pre-order Halo 3, even after I told him I have no interest in the Halo games.  

I got to the store right when they opened to pick up FF XII on Tuesday.  I had pre-ordered, but there were two other guys there who hadn't.  The new manager told them they were lucky they showed up right at opening because they only had a couple non-reserve copies available, and that they better be sure to pre-order next time.  About 5 minutes later, I overheard him tell the other employee that the entire top shelf (must have been about 50 copies) were the non-pre-orders.  Nice.

However, I am starting to realize that I think it actually takes more time for me to get a game in a Gamestop because there are only 2 people in there tops and if people have trade-ins, which they usually do, it backs things up.  

This is a big problem at my store.  They are horribly understaffed, and even the slightest problem with a transaction leads to very long wait times.  The old manager told me they receive the same amount of schedulable hours as the stores that do 1/3 the amount of business.  

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 06:40:58 PM »

Well you got screwed and lied to Jblank. That behavior is inexcusable and I hope you let them know it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 06:48:23 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2006, 06:38:54 PM

This is a big problem at my store.  They are horribly understaffed, and even the slightest problem with a transaction leads to very long wait times.  The old manager told me they receive the same amount of schedulable hours as the stores that do 1/3 the amount of business. 

The time it takes waiting on trade-ins kills me.  Feels like every time I'm trying to be quick because I've got my wife and daughter in the car I end up behind some guy trading in 40 bargain bin quality titles and his entire DVD collection only to find out that he's only going to get $24.92 in credit and then he has to take 15 minutes to decide whether he wants to do the deal or not. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 07:21:34 PM »

I must have gotten lucky that the Gamestop I previously went to (moved away from it so I had to stop) and my current local EBGames have great staff.  They'll usually ask me if I want to pre-order any games and don't push it.  I haven't had to hear about 'game insurance' for quite some time.  I always try to pre-order as it's the closest video game store to the Ohio State campus and they almost always sell out of the non pre-orders on the first day.

Plus the recently hired a pair of really cute blonde and brunette girls, so shopping there is easy on the eyes  unibrow
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 07:28:41 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 08:10:38 PM »

I stopped buying anything at EBGames-type stores several years ago.  It's just not worth the hassle.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »

Sorry your Gamestop is a pain.  I've always liked the folks at two of the three EBs I frequented over the years.  Going to a Gamestop now due to location, and so far they've given me no reason to complain.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 08:18:28 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 02, 2006, 06:00:25 PM

Niche titles need to be pre-ordered, no doubt, but for stuff like GoW, I can't see the point.  heh, this reminds me...so as I'm walking out the door after picking up NWN2 yesterday, one of the newbie counterhuggers calls out to me and says "Oh, hey, we are doing Halo 3 preorders!  We'll have all three versions of the game!   Its only 5 dollars, 10 dollars, or 25 dollars down for the regular, CE, or Legendary versions!"   The manager waits for him to finish his speil and says "You can't hard sell this guy.  He is an ex manager and gets most of his games for free." and starts laughing.  The new guy looked like he had been whipped with a newspaper.

You know in the two or three stores I frequented I got the same reputation. It almost became a game when a new employee would start and I would let him go into his thing, start talking all the advantages about preordering or what have you. Let him go on, agree with him make him feel like he really sold me on a great idea, and then say No, the manager would bust out laughing as would the regulars. They knew, Shoot I helped put together 3 of the stores in the district, and I am a salesman. You'll never sell a salesman unless they're feeling nice or appreciate your hard work.

Hell, their sales tactics don't even work for the most part. They trade on mis-information and act like they are the only proprietors of this information. It used to work, before the internet, EB/Gamestop employees could almost say anything and customer would go right along. In this day and age you have to go in thinking that your customers almost know you better than you do. Treat them with respect, honesty and a sincere appreciation for their business and you will build a large amount of loyalty. If just one EB/GS employee that knows me as a regular would just ask me what I do for a living and listen to me and get to know just a little about me as their customer, like what's important to me when I come in to a store, I would be their customer for life.

Hmm, I wonder if I could make some sweet consultant fee by teaching GS/EB how to sell games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 08:26:26 PM »

The only times I ever preorder are pretty much the week of the game coming out (normally done the same day I put out my 'what are you buying' threads) and that's it. It avoids the whole 'company making lots of interest on my $5' deal, and it still guarantees my game.

If it's going to be something rare, or a CE edition of some sort, that's the only time when I'll make an early preorder. It's just not worth it otherwise.

And normally once you've become a 'regular' customer, the bullshit from the employees (like the original poster had) stops. The crew there sorta jokingly asks me if I want to preorder anything else for example whenever I make a transaction. They're required to do it, but they know that odds are I won't be doing so.

Also, one last thing to keep in mind - while unlikely, there is a chance that UPS for whatever reason didn't ship their normal edition of the game until late that afternoon. I know that when I visited my Gamestop yesterday for NVN2, they told me flat out that they didn't get any CE editions in yet. Made me glad I only preordered the normal one.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 08:33:59 PM »

well EB and Gamestop days are all numbered.  When the next few generations of consoles come out they will have protection built in them which will link a console to a copy.  Meaning the first time you play a game the console will imprint its number on the software and that cd will only be playable in that one system.  Say goodbye to used games sales ( the only thing keeping gamestop in business).  This will help drive new game sales, since used games make no money for the publishers.  This will also change how rented games work. As we have begun to see, in the next generations ( after this ps3 and 360 one) most if not all rented games will be over the net, you will be able to download and play for as many days as you pay for, again all the money goes to sony, microsoft etc instead of blockbuster.

SO within the next 10 years all these niche gaming stores will be gone, a dinosaur, and something you can tell your grandkids about.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 08:36:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 02, 2006, 08:26:26 PM

And normally once you've become a 'regular' customer, the bullshit from the employees (like the original poster had) stops. The crew there sorta jokingly asks me if I want to preorder anything else for example whenever I make a transaction. They're required to do it, but they know that odds are I won't be doing so.

Sadly, even though I frequent this one Gamestop regularly and have demonstrated that I know more about gaming than they do, time and time again, they still pester me.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 08:39:31 PM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on November 02, 2006, 08:33:59 PM

When the next few generations of consoles come out they will have protection built in them which will link a console to a copy.

If that ever actually happens, I would be done with gaming as a hobby.  Very very very few games are worth the $60 for me to actually buy and keep.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 08:41:23 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2006, 06:48:23 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2006, 06:38:54 PM

This is a big problem at my store.  They are horribly understaffed, and even the slightest problem with a transaction leads to very long wait times.  The old manager told me they receive the same amount of schedulable hours as the stores that do 1/3 the amount of business. 

The time it takes waiting on trade-ins kills me.  Feels like every time I'm trying to be quick because I've got my wife and daughter in the car I end up behind some guy trading in 40 bargain bin quality titles and his entire DVD collection only to find out that he's only going to get $24.92 in credit and then he has to take 15 minutes to decide whether he wants to do the deal or not. 

What kills me is when people trade in systems.  No matter how many people are in line, the one employee behind the counter has to hook up the system, boot it up, and play it for a couple minutes before accepting it.

I got stuck behind one of these when I bought Okami.  I had the game pre-ordered and completely paid for, all I needed to do was pick it up.   The guy in front of me brought in a PS2, an X-Box, and a huge stack of games.   Of course, the idiot cashier couldn't be bothered to hurry his "testing" process, and was having a great time BS'ing with the customer while he messed around with the used systems.  He then used the credit to buy a 360, so of course they had to run the pre-order, warranty, & add-on gauntlet.  All told, it took close to 20 minutes before his purchase was complete, and there were probably 12 very pissed-off people in line by the time they were done.  When I got up to the counter, my transaction took a grand total of 30 seconds.  Needless to say, I was absolutely livid by the time I left the store.

Unfortunately, my "regular" status at this store dissapeared when the last manager left.   Basically the entire staff was replaced except for one guy.  He still recognizes me and is a pretty cool cat (yesterday he told one of the other cashiers to quit bugging me about pre-orders), but I usually have to deal with what has their new crop of pushy, annoying, salesman.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 09:25:10 PM »

My "EBGames lies" story for the week:

The other Tuesday I swung by EBGames to pick up Tiger Woods, only to have the clerk there say "oh it ships today, but we won't receive it until tomorrow".  No problem, pretty normal.   So I come by the next day in the morning and see the exact same clerk there and ask him if its in. 

His response: "Oh yeah man, we had a *ton* of them come in earlier in the week but they all sold out... if you preordered it, it wouldn't have happened.  Want to preorder now?".

Me: "Umm, you told me yesterday it wasn't coming in until today.  Could you open up that FedEx box sitting next to you?"

He gave me a befuddled look, opened up to box (filled with new copies of Tiger of course), and agreed to give me some $$ off if I didn't tell his manager.  Bastard.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 09:28:26 PM »

lol.

I returned three pre-owned games last night.  I bought them in the buy-2-get-1-free sale they had a week ago.

Now, I could go into details about how the desk proles flip the fuck out when you return anything, especially pre-owned anything, but why bother?  It's well-documented.

It gets funny when the prole, in his little return rage, screams "A-HA!  THIS RECEIPT IS ELEVEN DAYS OLD!  YOU ONLY HAVE A WEEK TO RETURN ANYTHING!"

To which I say, "Fourteen days on pre-owned stuff."

He glares at me and starts going over and over the receipt.  After about a minute of this little show of him 'checking the rules,' he growls at the younger kid behind the counter with him "Just fucking do it."  As if I was such an obnoxious cunt that he just HAD to get rid of me by breaking the rules.

--------

Oh yeah.  My friend went to get FFXII on Tuesday.  When he came back with the collector's edition of the game and strategy guide, I gave him a funny look (he's not a huge Final Fantasy fan).  He says "Man, if you didn't preorder, you basically have to buy the Collector's Edition."

Of course, when I was in there last night, the PS2 shelves were covered with copies of the collector's FFXII.  However, someone had just bought one, so there was a gap in this "wall" covering the games behind the Collector's FFXIIs.  And, of course, in that gap were stacks of the regular edition as far as I could see.

---------

Honestly I don't care much about EB's corporate policy of being liars.  I routinely screw the store over, it's no skin off my nose.  For example, I went in and bought NWN2 for $50 last night, just so I can play it a couple days before my GoGamer $38 copy arrives.  And when that GoGamer copy comes in, you better believe it's getting returned to EB.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:35:23 PM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 09:34:55 PM »

Luckily, the people in this thread complaining are actually a minority in the customer base for most of these stores. I was a store manager at both a GameStop and an EB for a while, and you guys wouldn't believe the amount of pressure I was put under to make good numbers. They basically threatened to fire a store manager if they couldn't produce good numbers (numbers meaning pre-orders, subscriptions, used game sales, guarantees, etc.). Honestly, as a manager, I didn't care too much about my net sales because as much as they wanted me to believe it, having higher sales did NOT give me more hours to work with. Like others have said, stores with 1/3 the amount of business as a high volume store gets nearly the same amount of hours. So, all I cared about were people who regularly pre-ordered or traded in and bought used games. When I say I cared about those people, I mean I treated them extremely well. Addressed them by their first name, hooked them up with a magazine from time to time, made small talk, etc. Regular shoppers who were adamant about not pre-ordering and so on just got regular joe schmoe treatment, I could care less if they ever returned. I could care even LESS if they complained about me, because the way my DM put it, if they were complaining about me being too pushy, I was doing my job. At some point, when doing interviews, I would basically give interviewees a disclaimer to let them know that it was a highly competetive environment, we're big on suggestive selling, and if you couldn't keep up you wouldn't be given any hours. I'm not trying to be an asshole about the whole situation, that's just how it works in the GS/EB world, it's a tough game to be played.

I would definately complain if I was being blatantly lied to, or being called an idiot, that's inexcusable. But otherwise, as far as all the pushy salesmanship, your best bet is to just order online if you don't want to deal with sales people.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 09:35:47 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 02, 2006, 09:28:26 PM

When did this happen?  It's always been 7 days on used games, iirc.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 09:36:15 PM »

What really bothers me about the EB/Gamestop preorders is that they pass NO savings on to you. Not even a stinking 10%. You're preorder helps them reduce operating costs, but they refuse to share that savings with you. Do you realize how much money they get to use for a full year while you wait for Halo 3?

I rarely see a reason to preorder through EB or Gamestop. Even for niche titles it is just as easy to do it through GoGamer, Amazon, Play Asia, etc, and they actually give you a DISCOUNT for preorders. Or places like frys, Best Buy or Circuit City put the game on sale during the first day or week. You should see how pissed our local store was with the number of FF XII preorder cancellations due to the $38 Circuit City sale.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:39:56 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 09:38:49 PM »

I don`t even want to start my raving lunatic rant and raving about these places...Yet I still go there...To the ones of course that don`t treat me like that. I said I wouldn`t start the crazy talk so...Here`s to the majority of  EB and Gamestops finger!                                  nod
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 09:39:54 PM »

Wow, some of you have some outrageous stories. You really should make an effort to talk to the district manager of the store you are shopping at if that stuff is happening. It would do a whole hell of a lot more than complaining in a message forum.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 10:38:56 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2006, 09:35:47 PM

From the back of the receipt:

"Returns & exchanges of new and pre-owned mechandise will be accepted within 14 days of purchase."

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 10:40:02 PM »

When the next few generations of consoles come out they will have protection built in them which will link a console to a copy.

I think we'll see digitial distribution take off before that happens. There was a rumour going around that Sony was going to pull something liket his off with the PS3, but the community uproar that followed led Sony to release a statement saying nothing like this was planned for the PS3.

My main gripe with Gamestop has always been there "gutting" practice, and to me NEW means FACTORY SEALED.
I actually watched them gut a copy of the God Father the other day and rent it out to a store employee! I knew they could rent the used games, but I had no idea they could do the same thing on the new ones.. how convient.. break the factory seal, take it home and play it a bit, bring it back and put it back on the shelf and call it "New" still.
And to top it off they won't even give an open-box discount.

I still go to Gamestop sometimes, in particular for used games.. but when it comes to new games, I always go to the bigger stores like Best Buy (who also do pre-orders btw) and Walmart.
When I do buy used games I personally inspect the disc for scratches and if there are any I tell them forgot about it. One employee even said "It still plays fine you can bring it back if it doesn't" and I told him that wasn't the point, I take pride in taking care of my games and I'm not going to buy scratched games.

Guess I have a love/hate relationship with Gamestop, and while one of my local stores has a great crew, it's their practices (that are handed down by corporate) that often make them lose a sales from me as I go next door to circuit city (literally right across the street) to get my new games. I used to think that breaking the factory seal and calling the game new was bad, but I draw the line at employees taking new games home and then returning them and still calling them new.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 10:50:20 PM »

I can't imagine why they'd do that to you. The difference to the bottom line of the store has to be trivial.
I'd ask if there's any way the guy could have been mistaken, but you'd figure the SM either knows or would check.
I will say this...if you get told this week they only have CE for FF XII, they're very likely telling you the truth.
My store only got enough regular edition FF XII to cover the preorders. Not one extra.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 11:15:47 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 02, 2006, 09:39:54 PM

Wow, some of you have some outrageous stories. You really should make an effort to talk to the district manager of the store you are shopping at if that stuff is happening. It would do a whole hell of a lot more than complaining in a message forum.

OH, I have nod. Not to sound like a dick, but...After putting up with so much shit from this one GM at a EB around here. Well, I called and complained and I think it was his 3rd strike icon_lol, because shorty after that he was fired. Obviously he did more than piss me off. I almost got a gamestop manager fired too. With him I should have. What a dick he was/is!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 11:18:59 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 02, 2006, 10:38:56 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 02, 2006, 09:35:47 PM

From the back of the receipt:

"Returns & exchanges of new and pre-owned mechandise will be accepted within 14 days of purchase."

Then they are using old receipt paper, because the stuff we use has no writing on the back except GS and EB logos.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: