http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:20:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am playing with my Wii now :) who else has it?  (Read 8282 times)
KePoW
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2006, 01:09:12 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 20, 2006, 12:57:32 AM

Anybody else playing it like those stupid, fat jackasses on Gamespot?  I can't believe they refused to get off the couch to play a sports game!  Who in God's name sits down when they're bowling!!!

real bowling, or pretend Wii-bowling?

they're two very different things
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2006, 01:23:36 AM »

No they're both bowling.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2006, 01:29:49 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 20, 2006, 01:23:36 AM

No they're both bowling.

Just like Excite Truck is the same as driving a high-speed off-road race or Tony Hawk Downhill is the same as skateboarding down a huge hill.  And lets not even get into Red Steel or CoD...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2006, 01:33:08 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 20, 2006, 01:29:49 AM

No they're both bowling.

Just like Excite Truck is the same as driving a high-speed off-road race or Tony Hawk Downhill is the same as skateboarding down a huge hill.  And lets not even get into Red Steel or CoD...

lol, exactly.  dunno why Canuck is trying to act dense
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2006, 01:43:59 AM »

Spent a couple of hours with my Wii today, just got Zelda and of course Wii Sports. None of the other reviews I read inspired me to buy anything else. Considered Rayman though.

Interface is clean and easy to use with the remote, in fact I really enjoy using the remote, its a lot more like using a mouse. Setting up your Mii (your stick figure) is cute with lots of options. I can't comment on the channels, since I can't download the update for the life of me. My connection tests fine, but I get errors every time I attempt to download the update. I don't use my wireless much, so I am not sure if it's my router or that the Wii servers can't keep up. One time it was downloading very fast, but then it got an error 75% of the way into it. Which brings me to my first real complaint about the hardware. Give me a damn ethernet port. It would be a lot easier that way as much as I appreciate wireless being standard.

Wii Sports is kind of fun in a simple way. The remote works well and even though you feel like a dork doing it, playing is fun. I can see it being a great party game. It's so easy anyone could play it. Graphics aren't great, but not bad.

Zelda looks like crap, not sure if component cables would help that much, because the textures just aren't there. The animation is good though, and the controls are good once you get used to it. Most important, it's fun. Played for 2 hours and really enjoyed myself. Seems like typical Zelda too, if you liked the last couple of them, you will like this one.

Overall I am impressed and glad I got it. It is a bit weird going from Gears of War with lots of speech and amazing graphics to the Wii games, but the game play is there. I look forward to see what they do with it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2006, 01:53:52 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 20, 2006, 01:33:08 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 20, 2006, 01:29:49 AM

No they're both bowling.

lol, exactly.  dunno why Canuck is trying to act dense
My guess is that he is pissed because Gamespot is actually trying to critically evaluate the Wii rather than simply heaping fanboy praise on it (see his comments "fat, stupid reviewers") and is being obtuse beyond that for the sake of his argument. It all makes him sound very silly and rather blindly derogatory of Gamespot.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2006, 01:57:57 AM »

Quote from: Lee on November 20, 2006, 01:43:59 AM

Zelda looks like crap, not sure if component cables would help that much, because the textures just aren't there

do you have an HDTV?  if so, you definitely need to get the component cables
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2006, 01:58:46 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on November 20, 2006, 01:53:52 AM

My guess is that he is pissed because Gamespot is actually trying to critically evaluate the Wii rather than simply heaping fanboy praise on it (see his comments "fat, stupid reviewers") and is being obtuse beyond that for the sake of his argument. It all makes him sound very silly and rather blindly derogatory of Gamespot.

haha, I think you're on to something there...
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2006, 02:04:22 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 20, 2006, 01:57:57 AM

Zelda looks like crap, not sure if component cables would help that much, because the textures just aren't there

do you have an HDTV?  if so, you definitely need to get the component cables

Yeah I do, but I couldn't find component cables anywhere. Can't find them online either. Aren't they supposed to be in stores this week?
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2006, 02:24:39 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 20, 2006, 12:46:49 AM

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on November 20, 2006, 12:44:51 AM

I'm stil a little confused about registering friends. I added everyone from the sticky in the multiplayer forum into my address book, but when  go to create a message everyone in the address book is grayed out. If I go to the Wii Friends options in the Mii channel it says I haven't registered anyone. So, based on what's above, once someone adds me to to their address book I'll just suddenly be able t create amessage to send to them?

Love the console so far. Have't had any time whatsoever today to play any games or really check out te console. Maybe tonight.

Thanks for the info. I see a couple of people are now enabled in my addess book.

The other person has to register you as well in order for them to not be gray.  Also, there seems to be some delay even when you both have it added, though that could have been due to the network problems earlier.  You can also send out emails to people from the Wii itself.  The address it sends it from has you Friends code in it, so it might be a good way to get your code out to the people whose emails you know.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2006, 03:28:07 AM »

Rayman may be the best game out of the launch, I've rarely laughed so hard while playing any game, and this one will have you in stitches. Definately a multiple thumbs up. This game has you doing so many different things, in a very good way. Definately a top notch game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:35:08 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2006, 03:43:51 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 20, 2006, 03:28:07 AM

Rayman may be the best game out of the launch, I've rarely laughed so hard while playing any game, and this one will have you in stitches. Definately a multiple thumbs up. This game has you doing so many different things, in a very good way. Definately a top notch game.

The more I see of this one, the more I want it. The bunnies screaming at me never seems to grow old. Art direction really seems fantastic. I know it was done by the same folks that developed Beyond Good and Evil--never played it, but many people speak highly of it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2006, 03:45:40 AM »

Wii sports is a blast!  I found Golf and Bowling to be very enjoyable tennis and baseball are so-so and boxing was sort of fun.  Bowling is easily my favorite of them all though.  The ball responds very nicely to you arm movements and is a very nice substitute for the real deal yet not quite as fun as actual bowling.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2006, 04:39:03 AM »

Zelda looks like crap, not sure if component cables would help that much, because the textures just aren't there.

So is the consensus that this is GameCube 1.5 with a fancy controller?  I wonder how much different the GC version will look?  I have a nagging suspicion Nintendo delayed the GC release of Zelda to avoid the "OMFG they look the same" complaints from people that just bought a Wii.  That'd be my guess, but it seems like people are really disappointed about the graphic power - or lack thereof - in the Wii.  I know it wasn't promised to knock peoples socks off, but friends I talk to were expecting more than what looks like a slightly optimized GC.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2006, 04:46:57 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 20, 2006, 04:39:03 AM

Zelda looks like crap, not sure if component cables would help that much, because the textures just aren't there.

So is the consensus that this is GameCube 1.5 with a fancy controller?  I wonder how much different the GC version will look?  I have a nagging suspicion Nintendo delayed the GC release of Zelda to avoid the "OMFG they look the same" complaints from people that just bought a Wii.  That'd be my guess, but it seems like people are really disappointed about the graphic power - or lack thereof - in the Wii.  I know it wasn't promised to knock peoples socks off, but friends I talk to were expecting more than what looks like a slightly optimized GC.

And a lot of Xbox 360 launch titles looked like optimized Xbox games.  I'm sure the graphics will get better, but I am not expecting anything close to 360 or PS3 graphics.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2006, 04:49:06 AM »

I'm very happy with my Wii purchase.

So far I've only played Rayman (which I'm not sure I like - I guess I'm just not a fan of games that string together a bunch of mini-games) and Trauma Center (which is very fun but almost exactly the same as the DS version.) My wife and I played Wii Sports bowling and it was great fun. I haven't tried Zelda yet but I'm looking forward to it.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2006, 04:53:25 AM »

You're all making me very jealous, but I'll join the fold in a month or two.

I think what has me most impressed is that I want to play almost every single launch title there is for the Wii. (Sorry, Red Steel, don't think I'm gunna try you out.) And that includes Madden. And I hate football games. I just want to try all of the games out - they all seem like a lot of fun.

I kinda can't wait to pick up a Wii myself.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2006, 05:46:35 AM »

Well, I didn't expect it to look great, but I am so used to the 360, it does take a little to get used to. I really need to get component cables before I can really say for sure. Component cables made a huge difference for the PS2 on the same LCD TV, so I would expect the same here.

I am very happy with my purchase so far, if only I could download that damn update.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2006, 06:08:50 AM »

Does anyone remember where on the Wii you link to your account at Nintendo.com.  It asked me at initial setup and I said no because at the time, I didn't remember my Nintendo.com account name.  Now that I've registered my console and a few games, I want to link my Nintendo.com account with my Wii, but I can't for the life of me figure out where to do it.  Anyone know?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2006, 12:30:38 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 20, 2006, 04:46:57 AM

And a lot of Xbox 360 launch titles looked like optimized Xbox games.  I'm sure the graphics will get better, but I am not expecting anything close to 360 or PS3 graphics.

I think that's reasonable. Zelda in particular, really is a GC title. From what I understand, apart from running 480p wide, it is the same as the GC version graphically. They didn't have time to update it because they focused their energies on the control scheme. I think a Zelda title built for Wii from the ground up would look a little different.

That Wii doesn't expect to compete graphically with 360/PS3 is no surprise to anyone, but to point at Zelda, which is a GC game with a Wii interface, and proclaim the graphics are no better than GC is silly.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2006, 01:18:28 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on November 20, 2006, 06:08:50 AM

Does anyone remember where on the Wii you link to your account at Nintendo.com.  It asked me at initial setup and I said no because at the time, I didn't remember my Nintendo.com account name.  Now that I've registered my console and a few games, I want to link my Nintendo.com account with my Wii, but I can't for the life of me figure out where to do it.  Anyone know?

I believe you do that in the shopping channel or in the back end of the wii otions where you can do stuff with the internet settings.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2006, 01:58:13 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 20, 2006, 05:46:35 AM

Well, I didn't expect it to look great, but I am so used to the 360, it does take a little to get used to. I really need to get component cables before I can really say for sure. Component cables made a huge difference for the PS2 on the same LCD TV, so I would expect the same here.

I am very happy with my purchase so far, if only I could download that damn update.

Yeah, I'm sure that component cables will make a huge difference.  I didn't know that the cables weren't sold in stores when I bought my Cube in 2002 and the graphics were unbearable hooked up with S-Video.  But when I installed the component cables- graphics jumped an order of magnitude and looked great.  I expect the same of the Wii. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2006, 02:53:43 PM »

As somebody who owns the Component Cables, it does make quite a bit of difference. You're doubling the vertical resolution, and everything is a lot sharper. Clear. Words in that range.  icon_biggrin

And besides - why would you not want to play a Zelda game in anything other than the best visual quality available? It's not like there will be another Zelda game in a year. Play it and enjoy it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2006, 03:01:35 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 20, 2006, 02:53:43 PM

It's not like there will be another Zelda game in a year. Play it and enjoy it.

Less than that, actually.

Yeah, yeah, I know.... icon_wink
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2006, 03:14:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 20, 2006, 03:01:35 PM

I've not played any Zelda since Adventures of Link...and not liked any Zelda since: The Legend of Zelda, but I am stoked to play me some Link on my handheld...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2006, 03:20:46 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2006, 03:14:13 PM

I've not played any Zelda since Adventures of Link...and not liked any Zelda since: The Legend of Zelda, but I am stoked to play me some Link on my handheld...

Um, why?  The gameplay isn't really that different there than on the consoles.  If you haven't liked any other Zeldas and didn't like Okami, I can't imagine why you would like Phantom Hourglass.

But if you really want a fantastic Zelda experience on the DS, no reason to wait- go out and pick up Minish Cap.  Awesome game and can probably be had for $19.99 now.  I'd also highly recommend the Oracle games and Link's Awakening but the DS won't play Gameboy games. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2006, 03:49:36 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2006, 03:14:13 PM

Okay wait, am I the only one that sees the problem here? Hasn't played any Zelda since Adventure of Link, which was the second Zelda title ever made. But you haven't like any Zelda since the Original... Explain to me how, if you haven't played any Zelda since the second one, can you even know if you don't like the any Zelda since the original? You've got like 8 games you've never played but you know you don't like. 

Now I will note, that since you weren't thrilled with Okami, you probably won't enjoy most of the other Zelda games. But shoot, A Link to the Past on SNES was one of the best games ever made. For it's time it is definately heads and shoulders above a ton of games. I will say that Wind Waker was mildly dissapointing, and I personally don't care for Majora's Mask and I think that Ocarina of Time gets the Final Fantasy 7 treatment as well. At least grab a copy of Minnish cap or A link to the past for GBA and play em on your DS, worth every penny.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2006, 04:05:31 PM »

Ok, I don't have WiFi, don't want WiFi.  Can someone point out the adapter I would need for a Wii in order to use my hardwired connection.  I need to see the pricing before I let my wife get one of these for Christmas.  She said she wants to get a system since she might actually be able to play it.  I am indifferent on it to be honest, but I refuse to use WiFi of any sort.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2006, 04:15:13 PM »

I plan to pick one of these up to play with.  I think I'll actually be able to get the wife to play some of the games on there.  I'll be waiting to find one at Costco though, just in case.  (although Nintendo does seem to offer a nice warranty)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2006, 04:17:26 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 04:05:31 PM

Ok, I don't have WiFi, don't want WiFi.  Can someone point out the adapter I would need for a Wii in order to use my hardwired connection.  I need to see the pricing before I let my wife get one of these for Christmas.  She said she wants to get a system since she might actually be able to play it.  I am indifferent on it to be honest, but I refuse to use WiFi of any sort.

I believe Nintendo is releasing a USB adapter that plug onto the back on the system that will allow a hard wire solution. I think they were going to sell it for either 19.99 or 29.99.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2006, 04:19:11 PM »

Anyone try out the backward compatiblity with Gamecube games yet?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2006, 05:15:55 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 20, 2006, 04:17:26 PM

I believe Nintendo is releasing a USB adapter that plug onto the back on the system that will allow a hard wire solution. I think they were going to sell it for either 19.99 or 29.99.

Yup. It's buried in the manual somewhere that they'll be releasing a USB to hard wire cable, and it mentions that when it's available, you'll be able to order it via nintendo.com. I read somebody here saying January, but I haven't heard of a release date at all.

And CeeKay - while I haven't tried backwards compatibility, I have tried the Virtual Console. I'm here to report that Zelda and F-Zero work perfectly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2006, 05:19:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 20, 2006, 05:15:55 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on November 20, 2006, 04:17:26 PM

Yup. It's buried in the manual somewhere that they'll be releasing a USB to hard wire cable, and it mentions that when it's available, you'll be able to order it via nintendo.com. I read somebody here saying January, but I haven't heard of a release date at all.

And CeeKay - while I haven't tried backwards compatibility, I have tried the Virtual Console. I'm here to report that Zelda and F-Zero work perfectly.

January... how hard would it have been to include a freaking wired port.  Oh well, telling my wife not to bother with this then.  I'll wait 6 months to a year and get it next year this time.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2006, 05:21:36 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 05:19:07 PM

January... how hard would it have been to include a freaking wired port.  Oh well, telling my wife not to bother with this then.  I'll wait 6 months to a year and get it next year this time.

Nowhere to put it on the motherboard? From what I saw of the guys who ripped the thing apart, there is no real place to put the thing.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2006, 05:23:51 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 20, 2006, 05:21:36 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 20, 2006, 05:19:07 PM

Nowhere to put it on the motherboard? From what I saw of the guys who ripped the thing apart, there is no real place to put the thing.

Dunno, just seems odd to me to include one without the other.  I can see having a wired port and no WiFi but not the other way around.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2006, 05:25:40 PM »

So what's the deal with the USB dongle thing?  What is it used for?

I've got Wireless in my home (with WPA encryption), so should I be good to go to hook my Wii up to the net on Christmas or do I need something else? 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2006, 05:31:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 20, 2006, 05:25:40 PM

So what's the deal with the USB dongle thing?  What is it used for?

I've got Wireless in my home (with WPA encryption), so should I be good to go to hook my Wii up to the net on Christmas or do I need something else? 

I set up my mine to use my wireless network (I use WEP, but I saw an option for WPA as well) with no problems. You won't need any adapters and should be able to set everything up in less than five minutes.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2006, 05:31:54 PM »

Awesome, thanks!  Man, I really wish Nintendo would update the DS to be compatible with WPA. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 20, 2006, 05:31:54 PM

Awesome, thanks!  Man, I really wish Nintendo would update the DS to be compatible with WPA. 

Me too.  The DS is the only device I have that doesn't support it (PSP, Wii, and PCs all support it) and so I have to keep WEP on because I don't feel like swapping things around every time I want to play the DS.

One thing I was wondering about, though, is how they would push an upgrade like that, though.  It might be that they could put it on DS Download stations at stores and have you download it like you would a demo.  I don't think they could do it online unless they allow your Wii to download it first and have the DS download it like they do for a download station, because there is no app on the DS to go connect to the Internet and check for updates.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 20, 2006, 05:59:22 PM

Me too.  The DS is the only device I have that doesn't support it (PSP, Wii, and PCs all support it) and so I have to keep WEP on because I don't feel like swapping things around every time I want to play the DS.

I don't have a DS myself, so I have no idea how this works... are you saying that every time someone plays any DS game, you have to use the wireless port?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: