http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 06:55:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am playing with my Wii now :) who else has it?  (Read 8316 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:28:11 AM »

Just downloading the update for the system as we speak. Very interesting interface. Very excited for some wiitarded reason. One big big big plus.

15 month warranty if you register the system online. 12 months otherwise. I like that especially in the face of the 360 failure big for Nintendo to give you a free 90 day extension. Like I said in the launch thread I got Zelda, Excite Truck(my review convinced me) and 2 2000 point cards. As well as an extra remote and chuck, I already had Rayman. I will probably go get Tony Hawk from Best Buy tomorrow.

I will have more impressions later when I surface for air.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:38:30 AM »

Note to Sony and Microsoft, You need shopping music in your marketplaces... It is the damn near coolest thing to hear cheesy musak playing behind you as you browse Virtual Console games. About 5 NES, 2 SNES, 1 N64 and 2 Genesis titles available. I have a feeling that Hudson will have Bonk on the First monday because they have been saying that it will be here at launch...

When you select a title it tells you all the controllers that will work with said title... I can't decide to pull the trigger on Solomon's Key... I played the funk out of that when I was young.

Okay this interface beats the hell out of the Dashboard. It's a lot more fluid and easier to use. I hope they will give us customization abilities to make it look more personal. Just downloaded Solomon's Key, 500 points/5 bucks. I think I will hold off on any others for now. Looks like the internal flash is broken into blocks set aside for VC games, and you are told how blocks each one takes and how many you will have left post download. Lots of good information. I definately like the Shop Channel a million times more than the Marketplace. I really hope Nintendo takes the initiative and puts the same effort MS does if not more behind the Shop Channel.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 06:47:48 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 07:01:13 AM »

Now for the big one: My Wii Number... My Freaking Wii Number.. Write this down, I am going to start a thread in the MP forum.

3241 9767 5424 5548

That's it, my gamertag/wii number. Fast and easy and simple as hell to get. It's on your wii message board. In your address book. When I add you guys in I can send you messages about what achievements I've gotten in games, what games I am playing and how long etc. etc.

Okay I had no Idea I could add in Email addresses (and there is a cell phone logo) to my address book, look out folks, you're gonna get Wii-mails from me and wii-texts to my friends. Um.. wasn't MS promising this stuff? It looks like you can do this once we've exchanged Wii Numbers I can send stuff to you.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:06:57 AM by Tebunker » Logged

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 07:11:41 AM »

Okay Played Solomon's Key, you can access a full on manual for the game by hitting the home button and selecting operating guide. On top of that you can suspend the game anywhere by going back to the Wii menu from the home menu. I like that a lot. I can't believe how stupid giddy I am about this thing.

Just playing Bowling in Wii Sports. Best bowling game ever. Good inclusion with the system. I know for fact that my friends and I will play the funk out of the bowling game. Very intuitive, easy to put english on a ball, I was racking up some strikes, but I wasn't a bowling legend. I bowled a 161 and 141 and that's better than real life! smile
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:24:27 AM by Tebunker » Logged

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:20:23 AM »

Congrats, Tebunker on finding one.  thumbsup I'm sitting here with my TRU pre-order slip next to me. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow mornig. Now post some Zelda impressions!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:28:55 AM »

UGH! I have 2 games here taunting me waiting for a wii. Thing that sucks is i went to ebgames at midnight to get zelda and had to watch people with preorders get their wii frown
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 07:31:23 AM »

Yeah so I went to two Walmarts and they had huge ass lines and 20 Wiis each.  Sadly, that means I did not get a Wii  :icon_sad:

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 07:41:42 AM »

Quote from: depward on November 19, 2006, 07:31:23 AM

Yeah so I went to two Walmarts and they had huge ass lines and 20 Wiis each.  Sadly, that means I did not get a Wii  :icon_sad:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 07:42:25 AM »

Tennis rocks, and I do think that there is a little more thinking involved than the videos show. i truly feel that how you swing, right to left and left to right makes a difference as well as how hard(of course) and how you hold the racket. I was getting backspin by holding the racket(sp?)/controller at a slight angle and making the motion more downwards and across.

I just loaded Zelda up and played a little itty bitty bit. I am headed to bed. I think I kicked the impressions thread off right. One thought on Zelda, if you played Shadow of the Colossus, the intro to Zelda reminds me of that. Hyrule looks that freaking huge. Also, who ever says the game is ugly can bite me. It may not have the bext textures or elaborate mapping, but it is a truly wonderful looking game in an artistic way. If you can jive with Okami you should be able to jive with Zelda. The game looks good, but don't kid your self into thinking it's Oblivion etc. I will move the system out of the office tomorrow and on a 42 inch widescreen and I sure things won't look as hot until I get my components on Monday. I will post more impressions tomorrow.

Oh, and if you like puzzle games spend the fiver on Solomon's Key, definately worth it and a good message to Tecmo to bring other titles, like the original Ninja Gaiden.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 08:00:37 AM by Tebunker » Logged

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 08:03:30 AM »

Oh yeah, for all of this I was maybe 3 feet tops away from the tv. I think any and everybody has atleast 3 feet of room to play.

I now have a Wii email address. it's w###your wii [email protected] . I sent the email from my Wii to my Gmail account and can now send email between the two. Hopefully the text messaging function will come soon. This reminds of the original Xbox Live promos where you could page friends on their phones etc. You better damn well know I am will be a geek and text my friends to go play Wii!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 08:13:08 AM by Tebunker » Logged

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 08:17:20 AM »

What exactly do you need to go online with the Wii and download the VC games?  Do you have to have some sort of WiFi access, or is there some other way?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 09:44:33 AM »

Wow!  4:30 Eastern time and I'm finally going to bed.  Got home with my Wii about 12:45.  Very easy to setup and get going.  It detected my wifi and then immediately downloaded a system update.  I fiddled with the options for a bit and then started looking at the channels.  Went into the Mii channel and was instantly hooked.  Spent a good 30 minutes creating my little guy then my wife wanted to create herself so another half hour went by.  Finally, we popped open Wii sports.  FANTASTIC!!  We took turns playing all of them and I have to say they are all incredibly fun no matter which one you choose. 

Between my wife and my three kids, we rotated through twice with each of us playing a different game.  I tried Tennis and Golf and both are huge fun...and not easy by any measure.

Keep in mind I have 6 Wii games...Super Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Red Steel, Zelda, and Trauma Center and the plastic is still on all 6!  Between Wii sports and tinkering with the dashboard, I killed 4 hours just like that.  I did finally pop in Excite Truck just to see how it looked and I was pleasantly surprised by the graphics.  I only played for a few minutes, but I think the poor reviews might be unwarrented.

I also put my SD card from my digital camera in and we watched a slideshow of our pictures from Disney World.  It's not just any slideshow either.  The photos all pan and zoom and you view them.  It's absolutely the coolest thing I've ever seen.  There is also music playing in the background as well.  Definitely one of the coolest features and one that I will use a lot.

Well, I've really got to hit the sack.  First impressions are it is a great system and for the most part, the controller/remote functioned as intended.  It's certainly no gimmick...it's great little system and I feel a lot better about this one than I did my PS3 purchase the other day.

Would love to exchange some friends codes and see some of you guys' little avatar.  I guess I'll post my console number tomorrow.  This thing gets a huge thumbs up from me.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 10:23:27 AM »

congrats on getting one,it doesnt come out until the 8th dec here in uk,but apparently i HAVE been successful on pre-ordering one.....of course i was succesful in pre-ordering a 360 as well...but i got that 2 weeks after launch,so we'll see

but your review is making me more and more anticipated

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 11:22:54 AM »

Congrats everyone that got one!  thumbsup

I'll have mine in about 3 1/2 hours.  icon_biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »

I went to my wal-mart at 6pm last night expecting to be one of the first ones in line.  I was wrong  :icon_sad:  a long line had already formed and I didn't have a chance to get one.  I will look around for one today, but probably wont find one until next week.  I will be reading everyone's impressions while I wait!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 01:45:37 PM »

Only an hour to go!  icon_smile

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 01:55:48 PM »

I predict that the phrase "I'm playing with my Wii" will never, ever, stop being funny.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 02:00:46 PM »

bowdown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 02:18:05 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 19, 2006, 07:11:41 AM

Okay Played Solomon's Key, you can access a full on manual for the game by hitting the home button and selecting operating guide. On top of that you can suspend the game anywhere by going back to the Wii menu from the home menu. I like that a lot. I can't believe how stupid giddy I am about this thing.

Hell fucking yes - pseudo save states. Yeah, it'll only be one save state technically, but it's what made emulators so damn popular over the years. Tired of playing? No problem. It'll save where you were.

And I'll be getting my Wii in...3 hours and 45 minutes. Damned Gamestop opening up at 11am on Sunday.  icon_biggrin
And odds are I'll be adding the original Zelda and F-Zero to my VC catalog as soon as I can. Such classic games.
And I'll make sure to add in my Wii number to the collective. Can't wait to see what comes down the Wii e-mail pipe from you all.

Question for those with wireless - does the Wii support WEP encryption and all of that? I sure as heck hope so.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 02:20:24 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 02:56:42 PM »

I'm really liking Wii Sports: Boxing - that thing gets my heart pumping  icon_biggrin

No Zelda at the Gamestop I picked up the Wii at (my fault for not pre-ordering it) - I'll be off on a mini-quest to look for it today. I did get Rayman and Monkey Ball already - both are very cool.

My Wii Code is:

8263 8536 0852 9592

Three Mii's are up - Me and my 2 kids; all are set to Mingle

Chris.
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 02:58:02 PM »

Destructor:

Yes - WEP keys can be added to the connection - the interface is very similar to the DS WiFi

Chris.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 03:03:45 PM »

Just got back from target- unpacking everything now!  Wiiiiiiii!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
siege

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 03:09:03 PM »

Got mine this morning at Target. All 39 systems were accounted for. So far, I'm loving it. Wii Sports is a ton of fun and Zelda is amazing.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »

I went ahead a stickied the Wii Number thread.  It's located here: http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,16253.0.html

Be sure to post your Wii numbers in there you lucky punks!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 03:15:45 PM »

I failed. My biggest tactical error was thinking Target didn't open till 9. That burned me. My Best Buy had 60 units and a line the width of the building. I wasn't messing with that. I'll just have to keep checking this week at places. I hope everyone who has one has fun.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 03:19:04 PM »

Damn all of you who live on the East Coast!  crybaby

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 03:24:21 PM »

It's intriguing...while I know we should expect the numbers to fluctuate, if you go to Gamerankings right now, and look at the highest ranked games of all time with 15 or more reviews, Twilight Princess is sitting at #2, behind only (wait for it) Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Not that I'm going to read too much into this...but isn't it pretty extraordinary for a launch title to get this kind of acclaim?
Now, you could argue that this is more a GC title than a Wii title, and I won't argue with that.
But even if you feel that way, doesn't it begin to make sense why they might have delayed the GC version
in order to play up the sense that the Wii has what could turn out to be one of the most highly regarded games of all time
available from launch?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 03:29:53 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 19, 2006, 03:24:21 PM

It's intriguing...while I know we should expect the numbers to fluctuate, if you go to Gamerankings right now, and look at the highest ranked games of all time with 15 or more reviews, Twilight Princess is sitting at #2, behind only (wait for it) Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Not that I'm going to read too much into this...but isn't it pretty extraordinary for a launch title to get this kind of acclaim?
Now, you could argue that this is more a GC title than a Wii title, and I won't argue with that.
But even if you feel that way, doesn't it begin to make sense why they might have delayed the GC version
in order to play up the sense that the Wii has what could turn out to be one of the most highly regarded games of all time
available from launch?

It's a Zelda game. Reviewers are automatically going to give it a perfect score no matter what (even if they actually play it or not). Same for Mario games - instant perfection. It being a launch title makes it all the more awesome that a game with it's pedigree would lead the charge as a system-seller.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 03:46:22 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 03:43:49 PM »

Quote from: pricecs on November 19, 2006, 02:58:02 PM

Yes - WEP keys can be added to the connection - the interface is very similar to the DS WiFi
Does it support WPA2? Or am I going to have to change over to WEP in my house?  (Thought I remember reading the DS only did WEP).
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2006, 03:45:16 PM »

Just took a spin over to Target to see what my chances would be by getting there 90 min before they open.  Not good  icon_biggrin so I'll head to Costco when they open at 10 and see if I get lucky there.  The Best Buy, WalMart, and Circuit City all had lines although CC's didn't look that long, probably my best chance there if I wanted to wait.  This was in Santa Maria, Ca fwiw.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 04:00:51 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 19, 2006, 11:22:54 AM

Wait!  I had something before Hetz? eek
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 04:49:56 PM »

Got an hour to wait myself.  Reading all the reviews here on the site and getting ansy waiting for it slywink  Gamestop was supposed to sell them last night at midnight but called yesterday afternoon to say they we're cancelling the midnight plans and just opening early this morning frown

siege

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 04:51:23 PM »

Quote from: spigot on November 19, 2006, 03:29:53 PM

Quote from: Misguided on November 19, 2006, 03:24:21 PM

available from launch?

It's a Zelda game. Reviewers are automatically going to give it a perfect score no matter what (even if they actually play it or not). Same for Mario games - instant perfection. It being a launch title makes it all the more awesome that a game with it's pedigree would lead the charge as a system-seller.

I don't think that's the case. Super Mario Sunshine is no where near the highest rated games.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2006, 05:03:19 PM »

can you use the DS wifi usb dongle with the Wii? 

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 05:18:53 PM »

My BB still had a nice amount and was basically empty at 9:30. If only I was there to get a wii it would have been so easy (Was getting Greys Anatamy for $30 for wifes B-day). They didnt have any demo units up though as I was hoping to try one it since there would have been nobody playing it.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »

I have mine now.   icon_biggrin

Updating the console as we speak....also, the Toys R Us that I reserved at only had enough to cover preorders. They had 30.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2006, 05:31:50 PM »

Quote from: The_Man on November 19, 2006, 04:00:51 PM

Quote from: Hetz on November 19, 2006, 11:22:54 AM

Wait!  I had something before Hetz? eek

He'll probably start sending you nasty PM's out of jealousy!!!!  :slywink:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2006, 05:38:34 PM »

Ugh....this update is taking forever....it will probabily take another 2 hours at this rate! Put up some more servers, Nintendo!  :icon_sad:

Briko
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2006, 05:40:40 PM »

I am one of the lucky one I guess. I went out this morning 7:30am EST and couldn't find a line short enough to get on... I was on my way home and I saw a sears and I decided to check it out and they only got 3 in and there were only 2 people on line. So I am now how and getting ready to unpack my New Wiii. After I am done playing with my wii (I agree this will never get old) I wll give some sort of an impression as well.

Briko

Briko
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2006, 05:41:45 PM »

After phone calls to Walmarts last night revealed that it wasn't worth bothering (all had lines larger than their allocation), I was at Target this morning at 6am and was out of the store with Wii in hand by 8:20.  They got 69 units in and all were accounted for by 7:15 am.  Best Buy got in 80+ and were also sold out before opening. 

Target was offering $20 Gift Card with purchase of 3 Wii games so while I was initially only planning on getting Zelda, I also got Rayman and Trauma Center. 

No impressions from me for a month though- under orders by my wife the Wii and games are going under the tree. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: