http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 03:49:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am a sucker for average to just above average games  (Read 2484 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2005, 07:40:46 PM »

With Geist coming out this week I am probably going to jump on it.

After playing the demo, first level sucks, but possession and scaring is good, I had decided that this would be worth a purchase. I like what I've seen from the story, control is okay, and I like the gist of the gameplay.

But as far as FPS games go, it's average to just above average. EGM slammed it 6,6,5 but IGN gave it a respectable 7.8 .

Is it just me? Or is anyone else here a sucker for a mediocre to just okay game that has either an interesting story or gameplay gimmick but isn't quite a complete package. Heck I was just thinking that the fact that it isn't a perfect game or one of those highly touted games that makes it appeal to me, I dunno, I still think I have a tendency to buy games and enjoy ones that most people and reviews think are in that weird gray area.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 07:53:49 PM »

I'm a sucker for them too, but after playing them I almost always walk away with the feeling that my time would have been better spent.  Geist has me interested as well, but I know I won't be buying for some time.  No more day one purchases on any game this generation.  Saving money for the next.  Have about 1/2 of my Xbox 360 paid for, IF I go that route.  That one is still out for debate.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 08:23:58 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Is it just me? Or is anyone else here a sucker for a mediocre to just okay game that has either an interesting story or gameplay gimmick but isn't quite a complete package. Heck I was just thinking that the fact that it isn't a perfect game or one of those highly touted games that makes it appeal to me, I dunno, I still think I have a tendency to buy games and enjoy ones that most people and reviews think are in that weird gray area.

I have a ton of games that fit this description and have found some real overlooked gems in the process.  However I don't pay full price for them,  I wait until the price drops to around $20 to decrease the risk.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »

I pucked up 3 'average' games last week, and promptly realized why they received their respective ratings.  Wrath Unleashed (the description of an updated 'Archon' intrigued me), Drakenguard, and Tsugunai:  Atonement were all basically terrible.  

Thank goodness for Gamestop's used game return policy, as it allowed me to pick up Baldur's Gate 2 for the PC and Burnout 3 instead.  2 games that I already know I enjoy.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 10:03:07 PM »

I love average games if and only if they are cheap.  Maybe it's the Dutch in me, but if the world's crappiest game is on sale for the right price, I'm all over it.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 10:51:40 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Thank goodness for Gamestop's used game return policy

What's this?

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 10:55:51 PM »

"Wrath Unleashed (the description of an updated 'Archon' intrigued me), Drakenguard, and Tsugunai: Atonement were all basically terrible."
A local used game store has had a copy of Tsugunai for $10 for a long time, and it keeps calling out to me to take it home slywink  I know it got mediocre reviews, but I love timing-based RPG battles, a la Shadow Hearts.  What didn't you like about it?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 03:24:33 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"Wrath Unleashed (the description of an updated 'Archon' intrigued me), Drakenguard, and Tsugunai: Atonement were all basically terrible."
A local used game store has had a copy of Tsugunai for $10 for a long time, and it keeps calling out to me to take it home slywink  I know it got mediocre reviews, but I love timing-based RPG battles, a la Shadow Hearts.  What didn't you like about it?

It was tough to put my finger on, but the game simply had no personality at all.  The graphics, the battle system, the story...everything about just screams mediocre and second rate.  Granted, I only put a few hours into it, but there were no even remotely interesting characters, the only thing different about the battles is the block mechanic, and some of the puzzles - even in the opening portions - are obscure to the point of infuriating.  When you have to consult GameFAQs to figure out what you're supposed to be doing next within the first hour of play, that's never a good thing.  For $10 it's probably worth a shot to see if it turns your crank, but it did nothing for me at all.

The one saving grace is the soundtrack, which is absolutely brilliant.  I've had the soundtrack for a few years now, and that's really the only reason I wanted to try the game.  Last time that happened was with Shadow Hearts, which became one of my all time favorites.  It's done by Yasounori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger/Cross, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga), and has some incredibly moving and haunting pieces.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 03:26:14 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Gratch"
Thank goodness for Gamestop's used game return policy

What's this?

Gamestop (well, at least the Gamestop by me) will let you return any used game for full credit within 7 days.  It's a lifesaver when you drop a chunk of change on some duds.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 07:25:52 AM »

I just read the IGN review for Geist, and seriously, it sounds pretty damn cool.  I had no idea you were a ghost and could possess things (and items) and the way in which you do it seems interesting.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 09:50:40 AM »

I just read another review for Geist and I'm purchasing it this Wednesday.  Average game or not, I like innovation and Geist seems cool as hell.

Thanks for making the thread, Tebunker Tongue

TheMissingLink on PSN
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 12:29:27 PM »

Geist is interesting, but there is no way I will drop $50 on an average to slightly above average game anymore.  I pick and choose the games I pay for very carefully.  I believe the next one is Burnout Revenge at the end of September, although I'll have to look at the release list again.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 03:28:13 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Is it just me? Or is anyone else here a sucker for a mediocre to just okay game that has either an interesting story or gameplay gimmick but isn't quite a complete package.

Well said!  I am the same way, but I generally wait until the game hits $20 or less before grabbing it.  I can still have several unplayed A-list titles on my shelf, but then I will read about some B- or C-list title that has some interesting element or setting and bam -- suddenly that is the game I must play next.  Then I will start checking prices and availability to see if I can go out and grab it in town.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 09:04:14 PM »

I usually find that most average type games just aren't that good when it comes down to it. I might enjoy them for a couple of hours (Bloodrayne is a good example), but they quickly become either repetitive or stale or boring or just lose their charm-something which seems to keep so many games from reaching that great status.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 09:16:39 PM »

If there is a sale on a new release game, then I'd go check out the reviews / forums/ etc to see what everyone says about it before I decide to pick it up right away.

otherwise, I prefer to rent it first to see if I like it, then wait for a price drop before picking it up.

I'll definitely give Geist a try, but I don't know how n-space can top mary kate and ashley's sweet sixteen driving (or whatever it's called)  biggrin .
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 10:19:17 PM »

Sucker here, definitely (he said while installing Advent Rising on his PC [at least I went with the PC version, not the $50 Xbox version that's been tempting me for months]).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 12:24:40 AM »

looks like Geist just grabbed a 7.8 from Gamespot, and an 8.0 from Planetgamecube.

So it's scoring in the above average range, I think I am going to bite, technical issues aside, I liked what I played.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 04:44:39 AM »

so I'm assuming this is the semi-official geist impressions thread...so I'll post mine here...

rented this and played a few hours.  good game with a lot of rough edges.  the possession stuff is really cool and fun, figuring out how to get to the next area is what makes the game.  

I love when you possess a creature...if you ever wonder what it's like for a rat to move through a small crawlspace, this game is for you.

graphics range from ok to really good so far, sounds arep[retty good.  AI is terrible, but I'm thinking they did that to make up for the clumsy controls.

boss fights are pretty unique so far, but I really wish they put less emphasis on the shooting aspects or even get rid of it, and have it so you use your possession abilities to clear a room (maybe something where you scare the people so they start shooting each other)

anyone else care to chime in?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 11:59:50 AM »

I played the demo in the gamestore and decided to never become interested in Geist again. biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 03:12:26 AM »

so yeah, the possession aspects are definitely fun and original, but damn it, the pure shooter parts are just frustrating and stupid....

I'll see how far I can get to before I have to return it, and then I'll never be picking this up again.....EVAR.......
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 02:01:49 AM »

this just in, Geist is above average, quite enjoyable actually, nothing amazing go out and get it right now, but it's definately better than what some reviews have given it. I got it used for under 40 bucks, and I have really liked it. The graphics get better as the game goes on, and the story definately gets more interesting. Shame the AI doesn't get much better, but at the least the enemies take cover :p

I'd definately say it has been worth the price of admission. It's enjoyable and I don't find the shooter parts frustrating, just not as interesting as the possession part.

lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2005, 03:18:40 AM »

yeah, I got to the point where:

Spoiler for Hiden:
 you are in the training simulator again and have to defend a doorway and have only have two guys, one rocket guy and one with a gun that takes at least 10 seconds to reload.  ARGH!!! that frustrated the hell out of me.  

I stopped playing after that.  I guess I suck at FPS on the consoles way more than I thought.  I really hate the fact that at certain points you were forced to play the game as a shooter.  Give me a choice to either posess or shoot my way through a problem.

it looks like the new hello kitty game is getting a better rating on gamerankings, maybe it won't try my patience as much... :lol:
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2005, 04:34:08 AM »

I think if the FPS controls were as tight as, say, the TimeSplitters series, this would have been an A-list title.  So far, I haven't had a real problem (had to fight the Thing at the Top of the Elevator twice, but not a big hassle), but I've been lucky a couple of times, and I can see getting to a spot that I just don't want to continue past.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 05:23:49 AM »

Speaking of timesplitters, did anyone ever play the new one? Timesplitters Future Perfect?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2005, 06:03:14 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Speaking of timesplitters, did anyone ever play the new one? Timesplitters Future Perfect?

From what I have read it is a fun game.  Plenty of little extras scattered about.  I liked the first two but I thought they were a little too difficult for my limited console FPS skillz.  I am just too cheap to buy it at full price.  Come on, price drop!

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005, 01:39:06 PM »

You know what else impresses me about this game? It's made by N-space, creators of tons of trash titles.

This is their first original IP and I think it is a solid first effort, hopefully someone, or Nintendo, will give them another chance at creating original content because these guys really just need better AI scripting smile

Hell, I was surprised that NOA didn't just take the Metroid Prime engine and hand it to N-space and said enjoy, make the game gorgeous and control well.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2005, 07:25:59 PM »

The new one is great.  If you liked 2, you'll like this one.  It's more of the same, but there's an actual story to this one, and it's very amusing.  They play with the notion of time travel a lot, quite humorously.  And I find the main character amusingly dim.  I especially enjoy the way he keeps trying to make the phrase "It's time to split" into a catch phrase, despite everyone around him hating it.  Good stuff.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Co-op is a blast on FP. I love how the second character is the "guide" for that time level.  You get different weapons and skills, and frankly some of the dialog in the game is just a-frickin-mazing. smile

I'm waiting for a used copy to fall into my hands. I don't know if the game changes like the Timesplitters2; TS2 would actually change based on difficulty level (so if you played on easy you couldn't open certain sections of the map, making the game play COMPLETELY different on harder settings).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2005, 03:38:18 PM »

So I beat it today, after a marathon session yesterday. I'd put total play time around 10 hours or so. Which is about average for a shooter these days.

I messed around with Multiplayer, and it's good, if you've got the friends to play with.

I could've done without the MP if they would've focussed more on tightening controls and adding some more levels. Otherwise it worked out great. I really enjoyed the game and it will go up in the trade section for a few hours today.

Wholly recommend it. Change the controls options, take some time and realize the first few levels are not representative of the rest of the game. Especially enjoyed the underground house/servant's quarters etc. Loved the art deco style. I think this team has a lot of talent to build on.

Rent it at the least, buy it on sale if you want to play MP with friends and bots.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: