http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 12:07:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I've always been a PSP man, but....  (Read 3559 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »

I'm buying a DS today using my Christmas loot....I feel dirty and cheap for abandoning the PSP, but I like my portable gaming.     I will be picking up Chrono Trigger and Phoenix Wright for my new DS library

So today I make note that henceforth, I'm a DS man.  The PSP has failed me
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:51:05 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:15:31 PM »

Well, that's all fine and good, until you find a game you like on the PSP. slywink

Although honestly, I'd like to know how it failed you, there's a lot of good, cheap games for it.  On top of that you can use the PSN Store to buy games.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 29, 2008, 07:15:31 PM

...there's a lot of good, cheap games for it.

And a whole lot of nothing scheduled for 2009.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:26:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 29, 2008, 07:18:29 PM

...there's a lot of good, cheap games for it.

And a whole lot of nothing scheduled for 2009.  frown

Dissidia, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Phantasy Star Portable all in the first half of the year.  Those three titles alone should keep my PSP busy during 2009...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »

There's more than that too, lots of stuff scheduled for the PSN Store via download.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 08:11:01 PM »

I haven't touched my PSP since the God of War game.

I play my DS nearly every day.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »

I need to get my PSP-1000 fixed.  The analog stick seems to think I'm pulling down on it...when it is centered. :/  I've been trying to enjoy Wild Arms XF on it, but the jailbreak level is frustrating me to no end.  I still want this fixed for when Phantasy Star and MH:Unite come out.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 08:37:07 PM »

You guys have forgotten LocoRoco 2!  That game will OWN FACES!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

Well, that's all fine and good, until you find a game you like on the PSP. slywink

Although honestly, I'd like to know how it failed you, there's a lot of good, cheap games for it.  On top of that you can use the PSN Store to buy games.

Maybe failed me is a little harsh.  There is nothing in the works that excite me with the PSP.  So, my PSP sets unused.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 29, 2008, 09:12:40 PM

Maybe failed me is a little harsh.  There is nothing in the works that excite me with the PSP.  So, my PSP sets unused.

still have yggdra union & star ocean 1 to play, but, yeah, my psp & wii usually see a little more downtime than my other game machines - i don't really see it as a problem, as i pretty much always have something to play, & what i do finally end up playing on them i enjoy (& i'm definitely looking forward to the 3 games dep mentioned)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »

welcome to the real handheld. my psp is sitting collecting dust. I don't even remember where I set the charger and have no will to find it. Sony really dropped the ball on their consoles with games.

if you like music games get the quendan series as well. i'd go with 2 since it's not as brutal as the first. FF4, DQ4 and the world ends with you are also great RPGs to add to your collection as well.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »

Everything in gaming seems to be cyclical.   Two months ago all I was playing was my PSP (God of War, Hot Shots Golf 2, etc.) and hadn't touched the DS the entire time.  This month I'm hitting Chrono Trigger and the Castlevania:OOE pretty hard while the PSP gathers dust.

That said, I am getting a little worried looking at Sony's anemic release schedule for the PSP for the next 6 months.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 11:13:13 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 29, 2008, 07:26:41 PM

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Questions:

1) Is this one going to feature online internet multiplayer?
2) Is it MHF2+ or does it remove/scale back anything?

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 11:47:07 PM »

Resistance Retribution

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 11:47:23 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on December 29, 2008, 11:13:13 PM

Quote from: depward on December 29, 2008, 07:26:41 PM

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Questions:

1) Is this one going to feature online internet multiplayer?
2) Is it MHF2+ or does it remove/scale back anything?

Rumor is it'll support the PS3's ad-hoc tunneling program... whenever that comes out in NA.  Aside from that, out of the box, it'll be just like MHF 1 & 2 - ad-hoc only.  Xlink Kai works SUPER well.

It is MHF2+, pretty much.  New areas.  And you can have a felyne actually fight with you.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 12:48:39 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on December 29, 2008, 10:17:49 PM

That said, I am getting a little worried looking at Sony's anemic release schedule for the PSP for the next 6 months.

Yeah, I brought that up in one of my "What are you buying" threads - EBGames.com has a TOTAL of 17 games in their 'coming soon' lineup for the PSP, compared to 74 for the DS. Yeah, I know they aren't the final word when it comes to future release dates, but I think I can at least make my point.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 05:20:06 AM »

I had a DS first and picked up a PSP last year. I think they go good together.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 07:29:32 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 30, 2008, 12:48:39 AM

Quote from: Dimmona on December 29, 2008, 10:17:49 PM

Yeah, I brought that up in one of my "What are you buying" threads - EBGames.com has a TOTAL of 17 games in their 'coming soon' lineup for the PSP, compared to 74 for the DS. Yeah, I know they aren't the final word when it comes to future release dates, but I think I can at least make my point.

Most of those will be crappy cash in games that are rubbish.  Then depending on the gamer you can halve that again, or more.  Pure number of games just means the DS leads greatly in hardware sales, but I think the PSP has a nice core of games out there, a lot of them with demos, that offer things that DS games don't, and probably won't.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »

My DS Lite is next to Toilet being used everyday.

My PSP is somewhere in my room collecting dust.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on December 29, 2008, 09:25:43 PM

still have yggdra union & star ocean 1 to play, but, yeah, my psp & wii usually see a little more downtime than my other game machines - i don't really see it as a problem, as i pretty much always have something to play, & what i do finally end up playing on them i enjoy (& i'm definitely looking forward to the 3 games dep mentioned)...

Yggdra Union was out over a year ago for the DS. smile  So it seems like the PSP is just getting hand-me-downs from other systems - Yggdra Union, Chrono Trigger, etc.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on December 30, 2008, 02:22:04 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on December 29, 2008, 09:25:43 PM

Yggdra Union was out over a year ago for the DS. smile  So it seems like the PSP is just getting hand-me-downs from other systems - Yggdra Union, Chrono Trigger, etc.

yggdra union was actually one of the last gba titles. & chrono trigger (as well as ff4, rhapsody, resident evil, etc) is on - the ds!...

both systems have their share of re-dos. &, if you want to refer to the psp versions of disgaea & fft are simply 'hand-me-downs', well, i'll take all the hand-me-downs ya got, thank you smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 05:33:30 PM »

True.  I was just teasing. 

I have both and love both at different times. 

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »

My poor PSP.  It sits there doing nothing.  Does it have great graphics for a handheld?  Yes.  Does it have some good games? Yes.  However, crappy loading times for most games and people trying to make games for it that really just require a second analog stick, not to mention horrible battery life means I just look at it and then say, nope...not worth booting up.  It's really weird how I view the device, but I go to play it and think of the things I don't like about it and change my mind.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 08:12:48 PM »

I only use my PSP for DJ Max Portable these days.  I still use my DS fairly regularly, most recently with the new Castlevania.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 08:46:24 PM »

Quote from: biggercup on December 30, 2008, 12:36:35 PM

My DS Lite is next to Toilet being used everyday.

My PSP is somewhere in my room collecting dust.

I'm not sure which is getting the worse deal there.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 11:02:59 AM »

One thing that could be key to the PSP's success or failure in 2009 is getting the PSN PSP store integration working flawlessly, and at the same time advertising it to gamers, and then providing more tools to easily get stuff onto the PSP store.  I suppose they already have the integration down now that you can access the psp store directly from the PSP.

The major strength of the DS is that it has a lot of smaller games as well as a few large ones.  The PSP, on the other hand, doesn't have that massive amount of smaller games because the UMD production and then trying to get shelf space for them is a pain.  So, if they can make it easy for publishers and developers to put stuff up on the PSP store, it could end up working much like the iPhone apps store.  It also deals with loading times, and also can dissuade people from piracy if their reasoning was keeping a bunch of games on hand instead of carrying around bulky and fragile UMDs.

There does seem to be a move in this direction, Capcom is bringing a bunch of older games to the PSP store and they already announced all first party PSP games will also be available for download from the psp store.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 11:07:46 AM »

If I could buy games like Arvale and Orion:Legend of Wizards and whatnot for only $2.99 each then I would be all over that!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 01:54:43 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 31, 2008, 11:02:59 AM

One thing that could be key to the PSP's success or failure in 2009 is getting the PSN PSP store integration working flawlessly, and at the same time advertising it to gamers, and then providing more tools to easily get stuff onto the PSP store.  I suppose they already have the integration down now that you can access the psp store directly from the PSP.

The major strength of the DS is that it has a lot of smaller games as well as a few large ones.  The PSP, on the other hand, doesn't have that massive amount of smaller games because the UMD production and then trying to get shelf space for them is a pain.  So, if they can make it easy for publishers and developers to put stuff up on the PSP store, it could end up working much like the iPhone apps store.  It also deals with loading times, and also can dissuade people from piracy if their reasoning was keeping a bunch of games on hand instead of carrying around bulky and fragile UMDs.

There does seem to be a move in this direction, Capcom is bringing a bunch of older games to the PSP store and they already announced all first party PSP games will also be available for download from the psp store.

I've never even looked into downloading games for the PSP, mainly because I haven't upgraded to a bigger memory stick yet.  Can you DL from your PC if you don't own a PS3?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »

The major strength of the DS is that it has a lot of smaller games as well as a few large ones.  The PSP, on the other hand, doesn't have that massive amount of smaller games because the UMD production and then trying to get shelf space for them is a pain

I think the major strength of the DS is a kid focus.  The PSP doesn't have nearly the number of kid titles and really kids are who plays handhelds. 

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 03:36:28 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 31, 2008, 01:54:43 PM

I've never even looked into downloading games for the PSP, mainly because I haven't upgraded to a bigger memory stick yet.  Can you DL from your PC if you don't own a PS3?

You can now DL straight to your PSP.  Both the direct to PSP and the via PC connections require that you are running the latest firmware...  I've bought several games recently that way, and would buy more if my analog stick wasn't causing me problems.  Been enjoying PS1 Castlevania, Wild Arms, Echochrome, and I want to add Super Stardust Portable to that list.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 07:45:05 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on December 31, 2008, 02:09:31 PM

and really kids are who plays handhelds. 

Wrong.

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 08:03:11 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 31, 2008, 07:45:05 PM

Wrong.

Is that just your opinion, or have you read something statistically about this?  Because I would definitely agree that the majority of handheld users are kids.  Just wondering if I'm wrong about that.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »

Wrong.

While I agree that the comment isn't correct, I do think that kids make up a larger section of the DS demographic than what you'd find on all other console and handheld systems other than the Wii or GB. That IMO one of the reasons the PSP hasn't been as successful; it's very easy for an adult to be influenced by their children's positive experiences with the DS when they purchase a handheld for themselves or another adult.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 08:06:33 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on December 31, 2008, 08:03:11 PM

Wrong.

Is that just your opinion, or have you read something statistically about this?  Because I would definitely agree that the majority of handheld users are kids.  Just wondering if I'm wrong about that.

I didn't say anything about whether more kids play than adults and neither did he.  He says that kids play handhelds, inferring that adults do not and I have seen so many PSPs and DSes in the hands of adults, it isn't even funny.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 08:15:46 PM »

Which is why I recommended a stronger staple of smaller games, usually those are much more kid friendly, cheaper to buy for kids as well.  Meanwhile the PSP will still have its big games that are PS2 quality for more mature gamers.  The key is coverage.  Have enough for kids to want to play, but also enough so adult gamers can also enjoy the system.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 09:30:09 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 31, 2008, 08:15:46 PM

Which is why I recommended a stronger staple of smaller games, usually those are much more kid friendly, cheaper to buy for kids as well.  Meanwhile the PSP will still have its big games that are PS2 quality for more mature gamers.  The key is coverage.  Have enough for kids to want to play, but also enough so adult gamers can also enjoy the system.

If you're suggesting the PSP library going forward will have a good age balance then I think you're incorrect. Just look at the 2008 releases for the 2 handhelds. A majority of the quality (AA and AAA) games released on the PSP were E rated whereas E rated games were a minority of the quality games on the DS. I agree that if PS2 like graphics are important to you the PSP is the best choice, but if quality games not targeted at young children are important the DS is actually a better choice.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 11:33:43 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 31, 2008, 08:06:33 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on December 31, 2008, 08:03:11 PM

Wrong.

I didn't say anything about whether more kids play than adults and neither did he.  He says that kids play handhelds, inferring that adults do not and I have seen so many PSPs and DSes in the hands of adults, it isn't even funny.

He also didn't say anything about adults not playing. I don't know how you can infer that he saying adults don't play handhelds.  Of course they do.  I think its pretty clear he was saying that more kids play than adults.  And I think that is true.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 02:52:25 AM »

Quote from: Mithridates on January 02, 2009, 11:33:43 PM

He also didn't say anything about adults not playing. I don't know how you can infer that he saying adults don't play handhelds.  Of course they do.  I think its pretty clear he was saying that more kids play than adults.  And I think that is true.

Here is what he said:

kids are who plays handhelds.

I don't think I am inferring anything into that statement.  The statement says kids are who play handhelds.

Davidbld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 01:10:50 AM »

I'm pretty much the exact opposite, I picked up a PSP in early december and have been loving it ever since (DS collecting dust). I have the 3000 edition and the battery life of 8 hours has been more then enough, I went over to the inlaws and played for around 5 hours and still had half a charge left. The first game I bought for it at 14.99 was Killzone:Liberation and I loved it so much I finished it in about a week or so (it was a little short but hard). I cant really say I've done that on almost any DS games I bought. I think, overall, I spent about 90 bucks for the 13 games I bought for it including castlvania that I downloaded from the PSN store (I did that at the inlaws since I dont have a Wireless network). Gamestop had a buy 2 get 1 free on used games so I went a little nuts.
90% of DS games I see are for the young kidez which I have kinda outgrown, though I defenitly agree this is why the DS is doing so well. Which system is a parent gonna buy for there kids?...most likely the DS. When I'm browsing PS stuff in stores I see more teens to adults in the PSP section. I dont mind there not being a massive amount comming out this year, money and Time-wise I still have plenty to play and look forward to. One downside is I'm gonna have to buy a bigger memory stick if I wanna download more games, oh well. I've also been thinking about buying the Handle grips/external battery which make the PSP look like a PS2 controller and also extends the battery life 10 hours, down side is it blocks the UMD bay in back and I heard it slides a little in place. Maybe a future purchase.

Dave
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 01:24:47 AM »

Quote from: Davidbld on January 04, 2009, 01:10:50 AM

I'm pretty much the exact opposite, I picked up a PSP in early december and have been loving it ever since (DS collecting dust). I have the 3000 edition and the battery life of 8 hours has been more then enough, I went over to the inlaws and played for around 5 hours and still had half a charge left. The first game I bought for it at 14.99 was Killzone:Liberation and I loved it so much I finished it in about a week or so (it was a little short but hard). I cant really say I've done that on almost any DS games I bought. I think, overall, I spent about 90 bucks for the 13 games I bought for it including castlvania that I downloaded from the PSN store (I did that at the inlaws since I dont have a Wireless network). Gamestop had a buy 2 get 1 free on used games so I went a little nuts.
90% of DS games I see are for the young kidez which I have kinda outgrown, though I defenitly agree this is why the DS is doing so well. Which system is a parent gonna buy for there kids?...most likely the DS. When I'm browsing PS stuff in stores I see more teens to adults in the PSP section. I dont mind there not being a massive amount comming out this year, money and Time-wise I still have plenty to play and look forward to. One downside is I'm gonna have to buy a bigger memory stick if I wanna download more games, oh well. I've also been thinking about buying the Handle grips/external battery which make the PSP look like a PS2 controller and also extends the battery life 10 hours, down side is it blocks the UMD bay in back and I heard it slides a little in place. Maybe a future purchase.

Dave

David, did you make sure to download Chapter 5 for KZL?  If you haven't do so, it adds a whole chapter, along with online play, and continues the story leading into Killzone 2.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: