http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 08:27:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm trying to find a Diablo-esque clone ....  (Read 2488 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2005, 09:31:58 PM »

There was this demo from a german game maker that was awesome.

You could get mounts, pets, and there was 150000000 different items and powerups. The demo let you chase down quests between 3 towns.. I can't recall the name for the life of me, and I *really* wanted to buy the full version. I dunno if it was Divine divinity or something.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Oh, one unique thing was they had back armor where it looked like six tubes with fire/plasma sticking out.

but it is medival. don't ask. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 09:40:49 PM »

Sounds like Sacred?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 11:05:03 PM »

It definitely sounds like Sacred.  The armor you're describing is the Seraphim's wings.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 12:04:59 AM »

That's making it sound not terrible.

/ponders going offto buy Sacred Gold

Anyone want to scare me off it?
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 01:05:17 AM »

I had it from a PIFF trade, and got rid of it shortly after playing it.

The story was on par with Dungeon Seige, and, well, so was the character advancement and gameplay.  Sure, it had a lot of buttons and shit, but the gameplay was just... off.

Speaking of Diablo-style, wasnt there a SciFi diablo clone?  I cant recall the name; did anyone play it?
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 01:36:17 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Speaking of Diablo-style, wasnt there a SciFi diablo clone?  I cant recall the name; did anyone play it?

Harbinger?  I've never played it.  Back in the GG days a number of people (slambie for one) did buy/play it.  It wasn't favorably received.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 01:54:27 AM »

I didn't find Sacred to play anything like Dungeon Siege.  You only control one character, and all the characters (even melee ones) have many skills to use.  It doesn't play quite as well as Diablo 2, but the setup is basically the same, apart from the randomness.  Sacred also has a gigantic world to explore, which is something you don't see too often in action-RPGs.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 02:18:25 AM »

How diabloesque do you want to go?

Fate is pretty much diablo 1 with diablo 2's interface.

www.playfate.com

yes, there is a demo
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 02:33:13 AM »

I agree. Fate is a good (maybe great if you figure in value) game.

$20 of the best dollars I've spent on gaming, easy.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 02:56:31 AM »

I installed the Fate demo last week but never got around to trying it till this evening.  Holy cow.  If you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 03:16:15 AM »

Got a link to that demo?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 03:21:19 AM »

Here ya go.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 03:24:33 AM »

What the hell ..... I thought that's how you buy the game. Is it shareware or something?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 04:00:40 AM »

Fate or Sacred.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 04:11:32 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Sacred also has a gigantic world to explore, which is something you don't see too often in action-RPGs.

If by explore you mean spend hours running from similar looking place to similar looking place, you are correct.  That was precisely why I quit playing the game- I got tired of running from one side of the map to the other.  It wouldn't be so bad if the areas were obstruction-free, but you are navigating a huge, world-sized maze, and many areas only have a single point of entrance.  Meaning if you miss it, hope you figure it out before you run a half hour in the wrong direction.

I didn't say the game was like Dungeon Siege, I said the story and character progression were like it.  It had a bland boring story, and your character development options aren't really interesting.  Wow, I went up a level- now when I click on that monster, my new skills let that click do more damage.  Joy.

If Fate is like NetHack meets Diablo as people claim, you would likely be happier checking that out.  I'm tempted to get it myself, but my online purchasing options are currently very limited (meaning non-existent).
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 06:24:22 AM »

Sacred certainly has its faults, but I think it's a solid game and one of the better Diablo-style games.  The demo is large, and should give anyone considering buying the game a very good idea of what to expect in the final version.  FATE is a lot more fun, but it's also much simpler in scope and gameplay.

Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 10:56:50 AM »

I played through Harbinger and posted some positive comments. While it's a decent game (and one that I actually finished, as opposed to many others) it's nothing remarkable. There are 3 different characters but I had no real desire to do #2 or #3 after doing #1.

And as for Sacred, I agree with the others - I wrote a big post about that too, where I stated that at one point in the game I just got tired of it, was told to go off and save the world and I just up and quit, because it wasn't compelling. Sure, it was fun, and you can certainly get 20 hours out of it, but I got serioiusly bogged down at that point.

Not that you mentioned it but there's also Spellforce, which was fairly well received - sort of a mix between a RTS and a RPG. Great graphics, eastern european voice work smile

Both Sacred & Spellforce have been out long enough that they should be discounted, and they each have addon packs too. I'd be shocked if you could find Harbinger anywhere at this point.

But I agree that Fate is great. If the art style doesn't turn you off, there's quite a bit of fun there. The "take stuff to the enchanter and see if he gives me something better than what I have now" game is more fun than you can believe.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 11:01:37 AM »

I love DiabloII, and bought Sacred last year. But no, it's just not right. The items are not well balanced (meaning, there are too many bland magic items, and there aren't ones that feel significantly "unique"), there are few skills, and most of em are shared between character classes. Only a couple of skills are actually any good. Your stats level up automatically (like WoW), but you get 1 free point to add to a stat of your choosing. Which is worthless...

The quests are dumb. The characters are dumb. God, I hated the gladiator's comments whenever he said something.

No, it's a good looking game, it's fun for about an hour, then it's faults start to come up, and you ache to play some DiabloII.

My two cents. At the time, I was more enthusiast about it. Now, in hindsight, it's just mediocre.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 02:05:13 PM »

I agree that the best "Diablo II clone" is Diablo II itself. It's just that my head starts to explode when I have to go into the jungle and deal with those Fertishes (that's what my son and I call those jungle guys, as in "oh no, a ton of Fertishes!").

Still, nothing really comes close to the character development, the shininess of the loot, or the production quality of D2.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005, 04:33:20 PM »

Guys, I gotta apologize for the comment but...

"Is NOTHING Sacred??" (a line from the bushy-eyed Avatar Warning is toting around) Speaking of avatars: Unbreakable... KMFDM fan, are ya? slywink

So Sacred seemed to have it's repetitive nature, but I've killed 200+ hours on Dynasty Warriors games. I don't know that repetition is bad. I mean, how much of my life was wasted in Counter-Strike (for PC)?

As to Diablo 2, I was a bigger fan of 1. I liked the skilltree in D2 though. I'm anxiously awaiting Dungeon Siege 2 which looks significantly better than #1.

I've not tried FATE yet, I may just have to give that a spin.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2005, 05:52:41 PM »

I do have one big question on Dungeon Siege two: One of the screen shots I saw for the skills screen for the fighter, all the skills were simply percentage increases to damge/hit/speed/etc.  Does your fighter learn new attacks, or is he stuck with 'i hit things, and that's all I'll ever do' a la DS?  (WHY?!?!?! Why are 10 year old games like Revenant or Diablo 2 the only actions rpg's that understand how to keep melee characters interesting??)

Now, I was thinking about picking up Sacred as well, to say Ive tried most action Rpgs.  However, one quote caught my eye:

It doesn't play quite as well as Diablo 2, but the setup is basically the same, apart from the randomness

Whoa, what part isn't randomized? The loot system? The dungeons? The main map itself?  Please clarify.  If everything is static, I probably won't even bother.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2005, 06:40:50 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
What the hell ..... I thought that's how you buy the game. Is it shareware or something?
It's locked with a level cap.  You can unlock it by buying a license key.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2005, 08:43:54 PM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
Quote from: "Dafones"
It's locked with a level cap.  You can unlock it by buying a license key.

Three dungeon floors, I think, is the limit.

But for the most part, that does give you enough time to see how Fate plays. It's kinda fun, IMHO. I really should give it another run through and maybe buy it...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2005, 10:01:43 PM »

Fate would be great if it didn't have that DRM WildTanget crap associated with it. Rumor has it there will be alternative ways to buy the game, so I am hopeful.

See my list of games I have and want.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2005, 10:25:07 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Whoa, what part isn't randomized? The loot system? The dungeons? The main map itself?  Please clarify.  If everything is static, I probably won't even bother.

As I understood it (way back when) the game *is* more random than Diablo2, but the maps themselves may not be.

I dunno though, I'm having a hard time remembering Diablo 2.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 11:32:44 PM »

In Sacred, the loot is randomized, the monster placement seems somewhat random, but the maps are premade.  It doesn't have a hub setup like Diablo 2, as it's all one big, premade world.

"I do have one big question on Dungeon Siege two: One of the screen shots I saw for the skills screen for the fighter, all the skills were simply percentage increases to damge/hit/speed/etc. Does your fighter learn new attacks, or is he stuck with 'i hit things, and that's all I'll ever do' a la DS?"
From what I've read, I think there are both.  You can have melee powers that are different types of attacks, and you also have passive skills that boost your abilities.  It looks kind of like WoW's skills and talents system.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2005, 03:13:05 PM »

Ah Revenent...i'd almost forgotten about that....the greatest combat system in an action RPG ever made.  Freaking awsome game, absolutely freaking AWSOME.

Worth playing.

Aside from that, D2 clones have a tendency to suck.  Havn't found one I liked long term ever....fate was fun and cool at first but the extreme repetition and hard on the ears sound effects wear off fast.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2005, 06:26:39 PM »

Wait for DS2. I think it is going to really suprise a lot of people.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2005, 08:33:03 PM »

I still need to find me a copy of Revenant... anyone out there want to trade/sell me one?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2005, 09:16:15 PM »

I was never able to figure out what people liked about Revenant.  I actually finished it, and boy was the payoff not there.

Personally, I found it to be a failed Diablo wannabe.

One game I forgot to mention is the best non-blizzard diablo style game:

NOX
It has three uniquely different character classes, and they also have COMPLETELY different stories and endings.  Great game, highly recommended.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2005, 09:23:43 PM »

Nox was an old GG forum favourite.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: