http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:40:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm preloading Day of Defeat: Source right now  (Read 3862 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2005, 08:37:20 AM »

Finally felt that "arcadey" sort of feel with it tonight.  Well, I guess I can't think that it will retain everything from the previous versions.  But eh, so it goes.

I do pretty well with the Axis MP40 or whatnot.  Good stuff.  I can't seem to do anything with grenades though.

Still very fun, don't get me wrong.  Still getting adjusted to it somewhat though.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2005, 01:56:26 PM »

After some more time with it last night, I really wish they slowed it down to the speed of the original. I like it, and I am sure it will grow on me but thats the most noticeable thing.

Other things I would like to see changed are:

Restrict the number of classes. Too many automatic gun battles..The original game allowed servers to restrict the classes to a certain amount chosen per battle.

Allow the sergeant to pick between the thompson machine gun and the carbine!!

It's fun, it will grow on me as the original did.

Man, I miss Caen frown
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2005, 05:37:27 PM »

I like the big Machine Gun.  It's a laugh riot.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2005, 07:07:09 PM »

Carbine-rpg's are really annoying.
Machine guns are too powerful.
Sub-Machine gun battles are way too prevalent.
Limits on class numbers would be nice, but there has to be a way of doing it that doesnt just allow first come first serve-experience points maybe?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2005, 10:27:12 PM »

How the f-ck do you access the console in DoD Source?  ` isn't working.

Also, wtf is a server's 'Tickrate' and how the hell do I disable the intro Valve movie?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2005, 10:52:03 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Also, wtf is a server's 'Tickrate' and how the hell do I disable the intro Valve movie?

Well, you could try turning on the console in the options menu. So much anger in that post though.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2005, 11:00:12 PM »

Tickrate?  No clue.  I've seen it and thought the same.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2005, 11:05:55 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Yeah, the console has to be turned on in the options menu, under keyboard and advanced I think.

And if you add +nointro to your shortcut's command line it will disable the valve movie.

Mine looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 300 +nointro

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2005, 08:01:26 AM »

Well, chalk it up to just plain wackyness or something :? , maybe that small fix on tuesday fixed it. After monday I didnt even try to play until today(I was pissed :roll: ), so I fired it up today and it plays great. So I hope that`s the end of that :wink: , that`s for sure! And BTW, DOD:S just plain rocks. Great game, and funny enough...even with that new lighting on etc, it runs smoother thats cs:s for me. Cs:s runs good, but this seems even smoother.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2005, 11:54:24 PM »

Just had a frustrating 2 hour session of DoD:S.  I've heard the debate that rifles suck, and some people don't think they do, but having played just TONS of DoD 1.3/2.0, boy, rifles suck.  Before, you could usually count on taking someone down with a shot.  Maybe sometimes two.  But now, I'd say it's about 25% of the time I'll take someone down with one shot.

Thing is, the german rifleman, for instance, has a bolt-action rifle.  What's the point if I'm going to have to reload after a shot when someone with a Thompson or Car can plug two into me like that?  Argh, it's frustrating.  And I'm seeing more moving-while-shooting, which would be suicide in earlier versions of DoD, but with Source, it seems like I've been killed often that way.  It's so frustrating, grrr.  I don't get too upset while playing games, but today, my God, I was pretty irked.  I expect an even ratio of kills/deaths but that was not the case today.  Not even close.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2005, 03:19:43 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Just had a frustrating 2 hour session of DoD:S.  I've heard the debate that rifles suck, and some people don't think they do, but having played just TONS of DoD 1.3/2.0, boy, rifles suck.  Before, you could usually count on taking someone down with a shot.  Maybe sometimes two.  But now, I'd say it's about 25% of the time I'll take someone down with one shot.

Thing is, the german rifleman, for instance, has a bolt-action rifle.  What's the point if I'm going to have to reload after a shot when someone with a Thompson or Car can plug two into me like that?  Argh, it's frustrating.  And I'm seeing more moving-while-shooting, which would be suicide in earlier versions of DoD, but with Source, it seems like I've been killed often that way.  It's so frustrating, grrr.  I don't get too upset while playing games, but today, my God, I was pretty irked.  I expect an even ratio of kills/deaths but that was not the case today.  Not even close.

I agree with this entire post. It is exactly how I feel about rifles.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2005, 04:52:47 PM »

I don't get the problems people are having with the K98.

One buy was bitching about it the other day while I was running through the map as an allied rifleman kicking ass with a stolen K98.

I just don't see it. There have been a few instances where the person didn't die in one shot, but in all of those they were shots to the legs, or in at least one case to the guy's arm. Which I don't really expect that to be lethal anyway.

On the same token, I think it's easier to have a really good game now with the assault/support classes. My best games have all been during my uses of the BAR, which I don't consider a coincidence, since I sucked something fierce with the BAR in the original DoD.

On the other hand, I have had little to no luck getting similiar results out of the german support class.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2005, 05:34:58 PM »

Thats because the STG-33 has a phenomenal amount of recoil-its very hard to learn how to use it well, but its extremely powerful-I had a good game with it last night but continued to suck ass with rifles. I unloaded almost an entire M1 Garand clip on a prone Nazi machinegunner and it took at least 5 of the shots to kill him.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2005, 06:35:24 PM »

The Garand is awfully weak.  I've decided to just not be the Rifleman class for the Allies, ever.

I usually get 60 damage when I hit someone with the Garand.  But what I've found is that if you don't have the iron sights up, your bullets can go pretty much anywhere.

With the K98, it nearly, almost always, does a hit of 82 for me.  What's the problem with that?  It's bolt-action.  While I'm sitting there and reloading, a semiautomatic can just pump me full of lead.  And I can't change to a pistol, either.  It may just be the maps, and how every one of them have close-quarter's combat more than long-distance, though.

Of course, a headshot is fatal with any rifle, but with the Garand, the shots are so wacky, GL hitting the head consistently.

Last night I used both of the bazooka classes and I had a few great rounds.  The bazooka is perfect for taking out snipers and the secondary guns (the Car [my favorite in 2.0] and this crazy german auto pistol thing WHICH ROCKS, btw) worked well for me.  I think I'm gonna stick with that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2005, 06:41:02 PM »

The Garand is awfully weak.  I've decided to just not be the Rifleman class for the Allies, ever.

I usually get 60 damage when I hit someone with the Garand.  But what I've found is that if you don't have the iron sights up, your bullets can go pretty much anywhere.

With the K98, it nearly, almost always, does a hit of 82 for me.  What's the problem with that?  It's bolt-action.  While I'm sitting there and reloading, a semiautomatic can just pump me full of lead.  And I can't change to a pistol, either.  It may just be the maps, and how every one of them have close-quarter's combat more than long-distance, though.

Of course, a headshot is fatal with any rifle, but with the Garand, the shots are so wacky, GL hitting the head consistently.

Last night I used both of the bazooka classes and I had a few great rounds.  The bazooka is perfect for taking out snipers and the secondary guns (the Car [my favorite in 2.0] and this crazy german auto pistol thing WHICH ROCKS, btw) worked well for me.  I think I'm gonna stick with that.

You were racking up the kills with the bazooka class. I was suprised.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2005, 07:05:50 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

SURPRISED!?   :evil:  I'll shoot a bazooka into your neck you vagabond!

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2005, 07:09:29 PM »

My bazooka shots were going right over the heads of people as they pumped me full of Thompson fire from across the screen.

Ah well.  Just need to get used to it I suppose.  It's fun, yep, but, to me, I think they need to do a bit of tweaking to make it REALLY enjoyable.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2005, 09:28:37 PM »

SURPRISED!?   :evil:  I'll shoot a bazooka into your neck you vagabond!

ROGUE!! Hey! We need to figure out the deal with smoke effects today ok? Cause if you are right thats very ghetto.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2005, 04:21:54 PM »

I think the patch tomorrow (hopefully) to BF2 will pull me away from WoW and DoD for a few days...but I'm liking DoD.  My clan has some links to Dayofdefeat.net that show some skin changes and (hopefully) some new maps that people have been working on since Valve released the map editor for CS:S.  I'm talking like a crazy person.  Carry on.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
depward

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2005, 06:10:59 PM »

Quote from: "WarPig"
My clan has some links to Dayofdefeat.net that show some skin changes and (hopefully) some new maps that people have been working on since Valve released the map editor for CS:S.

Ahh cool!  Nice to hear they're working on some new maps and such already!
Quote from: "WarPig"
I'm talking like a crazy person.  Carry on.

We all talk like crazy people around here!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2005, 07:25:45 PM »

Meh, very frustrated again. The Thompson is grossly superior to the MP32, which is ok because I prefer allies, but still-it can kill anything. The MGs are still absolutely dominant if a team is smart and puts them in the right places. Some of the maps are still designed so that certain flags will become unwinnable choke points (we played a whole map last night fighting over one CP with nothing happening for about 30minutes). Im just not sure if I like the game, although I do usually have fun playing.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2005, 05:07:46 AM »

Meh, very frustrated again. The Thompson is grossly superior to the MP32, which is ok because I prefer allies, but still-it can kill anything. The MGs are still absolutely dominant if a team is smart and puts them in the right places. Some of the maps are still designed so that certain flags will become unwinnable choke points (we played a whole map last night fighting over one CP with nothing happening for about 30minutes). Im just not sure if I like the game, although I do usually have fun playing.

Thank God you said choke point instead of "bottleneck" because if you would have said "bottleneck" you would have been chained to a cross and beaten verbally like I was when I said "bottleneck" insetad of choke point in that server last night.

Is it REALLY that important to correct my vocabulary of what a "choke point" is?  Apparently that dude thought so.  Isn't a "bottle neck" kinda sorta the same thing?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2005, 05:36:31 AM »

Quote from: "depward"

Thank God you said choke point instead of "bottleneck" because if you would have said "bottleneck" you would have been chained to a cross and beaten verbally like I was when I said "bottleneck" insetad of choke point in that server last night.

Is it REALLY that important to correct my vocabulary of what a "choke point" is?  Apparently that dude thought so.  Isn't a "bottle neck" kinda sorta the same thing?

All those guys are douches, never you worry.

How freaking cool was my dash for that flag though man?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2005, 06:18:48 AM »

LOL that was pretty badass hahaha biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: