http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 02:46:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm playing Diablo 1 and I'm having FUN!  (Read 5248 times)
Orgull
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2008, 07:51:04 PM »

Seriously. The recent announcement of Diablo 3 got me thinking so I re-installed good old classic Diablo.

I miss the 'alt' key for highlighting items, I wish I could run instead of walk, and I wish there was more loot. Other than that the game rocks! I can't believe how much more fun and atmospheric this game is even compared with modern games. I recently bought NWN 2 and got bored of it after three days. I bought Hellgate London hoping for a Diablo fix and when I, playing a blademaster, discovered mobs that FLY that I can't REACH since I use a sword and I'm not playing multiplayer so "fuck me", I quit that game quick.

The low resolution doesn't bother me at all since the art direction is so damn good. The gritty images, the eerie music and the good old-fashioned "when you die, you're dead and have to reload" gameplay makes me regret the "let's make uninspired games for frightened cattle since that'll make us more money" direction that the industry seems to be taking. I am really enjoying the stark, brutal simplicity of this game.

Go Diablo!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 08:13:43 PM »

I was tempted to restart it but I'll be firing up Titan Quest instead.  What class did you go with, and how many times did you die on the Butcher this time around? slywink
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 02, 2008, 08:13:43 PM

I was tempted to restart it but I'll be firing up Titan Quest instead.  What class did you go with, and how many times did you die on the Butcher this time around? slywink

More like how much did you jump?  Killing him was easy.  You just lock him in a room with golem.

"Fresh Meat" still freaked me out when I did the reinstall shortly before DII came out.  The game had lost a lot of luster though.  Surprisingly DII still holds up for me though after all these years when I am in the mood for it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:16:52 PM by LordMortis » Logged
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:17:59 PM »

I'm playing a Warrior first time through. Sadly The Butcher quest was not in this game, maybe next time?

I love the random quests btw. I am so happy that they are coming back for Diablo 3.

P.S. I have heard several people talk about playing Diablo 1 at various levels of difficulty. I don't remember there being more than one level of difficulty in Diablo 1. Am I missing something?

LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:22:13 PM »

Quote from: Orgull on July 02, 2008, 08:17:59 PM

I'm playing a Warrior first time through. Sadly The Butcher quest was not in this game, maybe next time?

I love the random quests btw. I am so happy that they are coming back for Diablo 3.

P.S. I have heard several people talk about playing Diablo 1 at various levels of difficulty. I don't remember there being more than one level of difficulty in Diablo 1. Am I missing something?

I remember it having normal, nightmare, and hell but that could be my memory being faulty.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »

I think you only get the higher difficulties if you play it as a multiplayer session--which can still be you alone.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:44:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 02, 2008, 08:30:00 PM

I think you only get the higher difficulties if you play it as a multiplayer session--which can still be you alone.
Ahh! That explains it. I would never have tried multiplayer back then. Thanks for the tip WP, I'll give that a try as soon as I finish with this character.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:47:48 PM »

Diablo "1" consumed my life in about 1996-1998 [technically Diablo came out in January 1997, but I had so much fun with the "Butcher demo" included on a PC gamer disc in late 1996], although that nasty Ultima Online ultimately peeled away nearly all the Diablo battle.net buddies that I made at that time, including the guild (Alliance of Divine Harmony) I was in. For a time, I played it so much that my weekends would be a complete blur, and I'd be stumbling into grocery stores at 11 p.m., or taking out the trash at midnight Saturday, wondering where my day went.

I thought what made it more strategic than Diablo II was simply the inability to run (Sierra's Hellfire add-on at least added a sort of "jogging" ability in town). You couldn't just run like a jackrabbit out of bad decisions. You'd have to fight it out.

I think that's partly an outgrowth of Condor (David Brevik and the Schaefer brothers) originally doing the game as a turn-based RPG. If I remember my Diablo history correctly (it's explained in the Diablo strategy guide), Blizzard suggested the switch to "real-time," they begrudgingly (at first) made the switch, and realized they had something special.

And some of us still think the game actually looks better in some cases than the sometimes pixelicious-looking Diablo II (esp. in D2's early, first levels). I remember some complaints in 2000 claiming that D2 "looked worse" than D1, if you can believe it.

OTOH, when I tried the Diablo demo last year (Fileplanet was doing a fun thing of digging up demos from past classics), the 640X480 VGA graphics basically made my eyes bleed. I just couldn't bear to look at it for very long.  icon_razz But the music -- wow, still sent a shiver up my spine to hear that familiar theme. icon_cool

The gold duping ultimately was ridiculous, and I got tired of teaming up with people who simply didn't want to do anything but "jiggle" gold piles all night long. Little did I know what it would lead up to in MMOs, gold farming and the like.

Although I'm not a PVPer, my best Diablo bud (a Texas 7-Eleven clerk, he would tell me later) came about because he and I had teamed for the first time. We let some higher level player (who turned out to be a warrior with Godly everything) join us, and he promptly chased down and cut down both of us as we fumed about it. The 7-Eleven guy tracked me down in chat, said he enjoyed playing with me, and then we teamed up regularly probably for a year or more, and stayed in touch on ICQ for some years after that.

I can't really explain why but I made more gamer buddies playing Diablo "1" than I did D2, or really most other games in general. I guess it was just so easy to get into, and so much fun in co-op that it had that effect, for me, fwiw.  icon_smile

Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm perhaps strange in that I'm far more nostalgic about Diablo "1" than the better known II. The rogue was my favorite character, and even though she really had no bow "skills" in the first game (it was just a matter of getting bows that did fire damage, ice damage etc., if I recall), I had the most fun with that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:56:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »

If I pick up an MSI Wind then I'll probably also pick up the Diablo battlechest and install it on that.  Perfect game for a low resolution screen, methinks.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »

Great story BlackJack!  icon_cool

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »

all this Diablo talk convinced me to restart Titan Quest last night...never finished the game when it was first released due to some serious technical issues that seem to be fixed now.  while it's going to take me a while to hit areas i haven't seen before, i'm still enjoying the action so far.  while i still have Ninja Gaiden 2 to finish on my 360, it's kind of nice having a lull in console releases so that i can get back to a little PC gaming icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »

I've played a bit of the Lord of Destruction module for Neverwinter Nights.  It's pretty cool.  And 1680x1050!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 10:26:46 PM »

I loaded up D2 and have made 2 new toons
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 11:41:18 PM »

I installed Diablo 1 over the weekend also.  I had played D2, but for some reason never finished D1 and figured I'd give it a shot.  It's certainly taking a little getting used to.  640x480 graphics dont look great blown up on a 1900x1200 monitor.  There's also a lot of modern conveniences - running, key to highlight loot, etc - that I've gotten used to.

I am also playing TQ + IT and have been for about a year on and off.  I generally play about 15 minutes a day, or however long it takes me to get to the next save point.  Damn shame about Iron Lore; TQ is a damn fine game.  Lots of fun and quite beautiful.

Don't know if I'll continue with Diablo.  I ahve a few older games I'm trying to play or replay and not nearly enough time to do so.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 03:44:13 AM »

I finished it and I'm never going back. Why? Because when I stopped playing all those moons ago I was literally maxed the fuck out. Every stat was maxed. Every resistance? Maxed. Big-ass brutal two-handed battle axe in hand(s) that could kill Diablo in three (count 'em!) three hits? Check. Fun to one-shot literally every since monster and beast in the game, but after multiple runs of that I grew tired. Knowing that I'd have to work like hell to get back to that point, I opt to wait patiently for Diablo III to hit 14 years from now when it's finished and when gamers wake up to realize that the Witch Doctor is only the new skin for the Necromancer, albeit with the cool ability of the wall of zombies.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 03:47:13 AM »

I remember D1 having alot of issues with people hacking their characters since they were stored on the users PC and not on a Battle.Net server.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 04:42:52 PM »

I fired up Diablo 1 a while back, and was amazed to see how much of the art and sound assets were copied directly over to Diablo II.   Some of the enemies (i.e. zombies) are exactly the same in both games.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 05:33:29 PM »

So I restarted in Multiplayer, playing by myself on BattleNet with a password. So much better.

Now my warrior actually stands a chance of beating Diablo  nod

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »

I have a confession... I have never even considered play a Diablo game until two days ago  paranoid
After watching the DIII video and thinking "That in some ways reminds me of Gauntlet", am now thinking about trying out a Diablo game.

So can this game be purchased now days? Should I look for DI or DII? Will only playing now make me not want DII?

LiveTAG: happydog
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 08:50:12 PM »

Diablo was one of the first hardcore PC games I played. Before that I only played console games. The game sort of blew me away. But I never finished it. Over the years I've reinstalled and started up again, only to quit about half way through. Most recent was about a year ago. I love the game, but it can never hold my interest for very long.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »

Quote from: happydog on July 03, 2008, 08:40:30 PM

I have a confession... I have never even considered play a Diablo game until two days ago  paranoid
After watching the DIII video and thinking "That in some ways reminds me of Gauntlet", am now thinking about trying out a Diablo game.

So can this game be purchased now days? Should I look for DI or DII? Will only playing now make me not want DII?

You can get the Diablo Battlechest which contains both games and the D2 expansion.  It shouldn't be hard to find, I still see it on the shelves at most places.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »

There's a battlechest that can be purchased for around $30 if I'm not mistaken.  It contains D1, D2 and the D2:LOD expansion as well as the strategy guides (at least for the D2 games).

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »

Is there, perhaps, a battlechest which might contain both games and the expansion?

One wonders...
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »

I played it last year and thought it was still great. The only thing is it's too short. The Hellfire expansion helps this somewhat even if it isn't up to the original Diablo standards.

Ye Olde Farte
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »

Wow the memories Diablo brings back. 

Diablo is one of the few games that really hooked mel, Tetris and Wolfenstein 3-D the others. 

I used to live about 20 minutes from work and I can remember driving home for lunch to play the game.
I had about 20 minutes of playtime before I had to go back(gas was cheap then).   
Then hooking up with friends online. I just remember going through some kind of dungeon and a bunch of bats
everywhere killing us I can still replay that memory just like it was today.

Skylark
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 12:27:37 AM »

Quote from: warning on July 03, 2008, 09:12:46 PM

Is there, perhaps, a battlechest which might contain both games and the expansion?

One wonders...

I think there is. It's called the Battlechest, and includes both games and the expansion for the second one.

Errr... Wait a minute...

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 08:32:55 AM »

If I were Blizzard, I'd seriously consider creating a special package that would include both games, an expansion, and possibly a strategy guide, and giving it a cool name. Something like ...oh, let's just use "Battlechest" as a placeholder for now.

I bet if they'd have done that, they would still be selling it on various store shelves around the country to this day.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on July 04, 2008, 08:32:55 AM

If I were Blizzard, I'd seriously consider creating a special package that would include both games, an expansion, and possibly a strategy guide, and giving it a cool name. Something like ...oh, let's just use "Battlechest" as a placeholder for now.

I bet if they'd have done that, they would still be selling it on various store shelves around the country to this day.

Man if the did something like that I would be all over it... if only.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 10:26:39 PM »

Maybe if it sold well, they would consider doing the same for their other franchises - maybe even WoW someday.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 02:05:29 AM »

i tried playing it online today - did NOT have fun. no real desire to go back to it anymore.

but if they were to remake the first games with the new engine and artwork... hmmm
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 03:15:51 AM »

Looks like D2 and the expansion are now available for download at blizzard.com/store
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »

Quote from: faide on July 03, 2008, 08:53:16 PM

You can get the Diablo Battlechest which contains both games and the D2 expansion.  It shouldn't be hard to find, I still see it on the shelves at most places.
Bchest's a good deal, just make sure if you get DII that you're getting a package that includes the terrific Lord of Darkness expansion.

I agree, I have endless affection for Diablo but the crude (by today's standards) graphics, inability to sprint (if you can still find Sierra's Hellfire expansion, that at least adds sprinting in town) and lack of skills (as opposed to Diablo II's relatively varied and intricate skill system) make it hard for me to stomach today. I burned out on Diablo II and the expansion far quicker than I did on Diablo. I got a few DII characters into the 60s, but somehow my interest faded off in 2001 into military shooters and other things.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 03:20:40 AM »

I thought the Butcher quest was hard coded into every game.  I'm almost sure it was.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 03:29:18 AM »

Quote from: Redfive on July 07, 2008, 03:20:40 AM

I thought the Butcher quest was hard coded into every game.  I'm almost sure it was.

It's hardcoded into every multiplayer game, but the first game I played was single-player. I've butchered the Buthcher a few times now since switching to multiplayer! smile

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 06, 2008, 03:15:51 AM

Looks like D2 and the expansion are now available for download at blizzard.com/store

So as a possible first time player should I just jump on this and skip D1? Will I regret skipping it?

Also, does either of these allow LAN play? I 'might' be able to get my wife into this game... maybe.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2008, 09:47:45 PM »

Diablo 1 was in the good old days when Blizzard games would let you "spawn" a copy on a computer strictly for LAN play. The spawned version would only let you join a game hosted by someone with the full version and CD-ROM in the drive. I'm not sure if that works now that the game's been patched and so forth. Can you patch a spawned version?  icon_confused

You can definitely still have a good time with the first game if you can cope with the 640X480 chunky graphics. I maintain it's an entirely different sort of gameplay experience because you can't just run out of trouble, and it almost feels like a turn-based game in comparison to DII (I mean that in a good way). And I think at least one run through Diablo I is a good prep for Diablo II. You'll better understand the Hidden Cow Level, you'll feel goose bumps when you hear Cain in Diablo II because you got familiar with his Sean Connery wannabe voice etc.

The DII skills system is oceans beyond Diablo 1's gameplay, but I could argue Diablo was in some ways a "purer" experience. You just clicked, squashed, used a few simple skills, and obsessed over loot.

Dammit, I should see if I can still run the game. Vista, especially 64-bit, is proving very finicky with games of this age. tear

Back in '96-'97 I was in a really fun Diablo guild, "Alliance of Divine Harmony." We had a regular meeting every Saturday evening. I would send whispers during the "formal meeting" back and forth with guildmates I'd played a lot with. After the meeting, we would organize guild games together. It was great. I only wish I could find an MMO guild today that well organized, and that emphasized playing and having fun together that much.  icon_smile

The founder Flagstaff was great, although he eventually got all stressed out about the guild, esp. after he reconciled with an old girlfriend, got married, had a kid. Not much room for Diablo after all that, of course.  icon_smile Ultima Online's fancy new monthly-fee, gigantic online world features eventually tore our guild apart basically although I did keep some of the veterans in touch via a free message board for maybe a year after UO's release. I felt bad I couldn't keep the guild together somehow long enough for Diablo II. I never found any sort of guild home for D2.

Because of Diablo's wacky "loose everything on you and all your loot when someone/something kills you" style, guilds like "Diablo Rescue Squad" would turn up, focused on helping you get your loot back or help you beat a nasty boss you couldn't tackle alone. I seem to recall some "bounty hunter" guilds. Quite a lot of variety in guilds and groups in the game's heyday.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:56:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2008, 09:56:14 PM »

BlackJack that is a terrific summation of Diablo and it helps clarify why I like it so much. Don't get me wrong I've played D2:LOD frequently for the past nine years but classic Diablo sure feels like a simpler more elegant game. I love them both really.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 01:27:51 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on July 02, 2008, 08:15:18 PM

More like how much did you jump?  Killing him was easy.  You just lock him in a room with golem.

"Fresh Meat" still freaked me out when I did the reinstall shortly before DII came out.  The game had lost a lot of luster though.  Surprisingly DII still holds up for me though after all these years when I am in the mood for it.

If you check out the disc, there is a bink video you can watch that shows the Butcher doin' some chopping.  It didn't make the final disc (probably to make a T for Teen rating) but it's a cool Easter egg.  There is one for Lazarus too if I recall correctly.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Khoram
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 04:37:44 PM »

Put me in the same group that had more fun with Diablo 1 than Diablo 2.

The deal with the quests was this: in single player, they randomly gave you a subset of the quests from the whole set. There were some quests that I think you could only get in single player, though - the ones where the whole level would revolve around an item to get or something similar. In Multiplayer games, you pretty much had access to every non-Single player quest element. Which is why you always got the Butcher in MP.

I remember first seeing Diablo previewed in PC Gamer in about January 06. There were pictures of skeletons and fire wall. It looks so amazing! Then they released the demo, which was only supposed to let you play the first 2 levels, but there was a crack that unlocked it so you could play down to level 4, but it was basically just the same stuff from level 2 on 3 and 4. I played that so much. It's a good thing I graduated from college in May of 07, because from the time of release until then I pretty much played Diablo non-stop when I wasn't in class or at the bar for my favorite band's weekly gig. Was in a clan called The Silver Blades. My favorite character was the rogue, too: got enough mana to use chain lightning liberally (though not as insanely as the wizard) and use Mana Shield to good effect, but also more staying power than the wizard if things got hairy. I loved plinking away with my bow. Amazon with bow in D2 didn't scratch the same itch for some reason. I also loved the distinct feel of each of the 4 (was it 4?) areas. Acid spitting dogs and those damn star-shooting succubi - I think those were responsible for the most deaths.

Ah, good times, good times. Can't wait for D3. Looks incredible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: