http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 01:30:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going to LA and I'm going to be a bastard (DS Related)  (Read 1349 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2005, 01:40:00 AM »

So I'm going to "rent" a DS from Future Shop (best buy) by buying it, playing it for a week, and then returning it.
Since I can't do that with games, I'm gonna do the $10 thing at my EB games... I need 2 or 3 game recommendations.

So give'er... which are the best ones? I don't have any interest in Nintendogs; ( I already have a dog to love me and make me clean up crap).

[update : use this thread for new responses... biggrin ]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 01:43:07 AM »

Since you most likely won't import a $50 game (Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan), Mario Kart and Meteos both absolutely rock.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 02:07:39 AM »

Metroid Pinball

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 02:19:38 AM »

Mario Kart is awesome.  GOTY contender for me.  Castlevania is also a swell game, seeing as how I wasn't a big Castlevania fan but was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed playing it.

Meteos is good as well - great puzzle game.

Heard good things about Metroid Pinball if you enjoy that type of game.

Marfio & Luigi 2 - Partners in Crime is coming out Tuesday if that peaks your interest.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 02:28:05 AM »

There's a damn good chance you may not want to bring it back.

That said, I would recommend Advance Wars DS and Mario Kart
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 03:28:57 AM »

At least you're honest about being a bastard.

I've heard great things about the lawyer and surgery games, though I don't recall what they're called.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 03:56:41 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
At least you're honest about being a bastard.

I've heard great things about the lawyer and surgery games, though I don't recall what they're called.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - which is fun, fun, fun.
Trauma Center: Under the Knife - haven't played it.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 07:04:04 AM »

Not counting the import, Meteos and Castlevania are my top two games for the system so far.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 08:40:04 AM »

What about the Kirby game? Wasn't it a great use of the DS's features?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 09:00:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
What about the Kirby game? Wasn't it a great use of the DS's features?

Oh yeah!  Forgot about Kirby - gotta vouch for that one.  Very fun game!

There's, really, a great deal of "good" DS games out there.  Any game that has been mentioned is a good game to get along with your "borrowed" DS.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 02:27:46 PM »

With all the great games I have in my collection, I don't see how you could possibly want to bring it back after you've played it.  My favorite games:

Mario Kart
Kirby Canvas Curse
Tony Hawk American Sk8land
Meteos
Advance Wars
Castlevania
Mario 64
Metroid Pinball

I have other games than that which I like, but don't consider them to be must-haves.  I bought SOnic RUsh for my son to go along with his new DS, but I haven't played it yet, so I can't comment on it.  I need to get this Ouendan everyone talks about.  Oh, I also need to get Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, and Viewtiful Joe after Christmas during the dreaded gaming drought.  THose are games I wanted, but didn't consider mandatory.  Next up in purchases are Mario and Luigi and Animal Crossing.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 06:20:41 PM »

Oh yeah, how is Sk8land? Reviews were pretty solid, as far as I remember.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 06:41:38 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Oh yeah, how is Sk8land? Reviews were pretty solid, as far as I remember.

I absolutely love it.  If you are a fan of the Tony Hawk series, you will love it.  I also like all the WiFi integration, like downloading new challeneges, board and grafitti art, and uploading my scores to see how I rank against my peers.  Plus, you can download replays of those sick scores you see high in the rankings to see how in the hell they did it.  The WiFi for the game kicks Mario Kart's ass as far as coolness and implementation.  I just beat story mode yesterday and am now working on beating each of the Classic modes with different skaters to get those unlockables.  The music is good, too, but starts to repeat after about 30 minutes of play.  Good thing I like the songs, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 07:57:29 PM »

Oh, I - sadly - don't have a DS. I'm just impressed that, after a questionable launch, the DS is rockin'. Especially the Wi-Fi.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 09:24:38 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
I need to get this Ouendan everyone talks about.

Ossu!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 11:09:33 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
I need to get this Ouendan everyone talks about.

You sure as hell do!  SUCH a great game.  My brother and I split our first copy, but now I'm getting my own copy of the game.

Ouendan is the best music game I've ever played.  It has great songs.  There isn't ONE that I don't like.  And they have variety too - a sort of asian semi-rap one (which, the stage it goes along with is HILARIOUS).  The game has the same charm as Gitaroo-Man when U-1 sings to Piku and plays the acustic guitar for her.  Same SORT of thing with one stage in Ouendan, but unbelievably, better.  It's really probably the most sincere thing I've ever really seen in a video game before.

Plus it gets hard!  There's a definate challenge.  But I even go back to the easy difficulty to just play the songs because they're so much fun.

And yeah DiscoJason - my "DS Buy List" is about the same length as yours.  And I already have six games for the DS (well, we'll say five since I accidently "misplaced" the Meteos cartridge in Canada while I was visiting).  And I want to get Snowboard Kids, Puyo Pop Fever, Mario and Luigi 2, and Animal Crossing along with Phoenix Wright sometime and my own copy of Trauma Center.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 12:13:12 AM »

I'll add another big Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! recommendation.  I'm so glad I gave into the peer pressure on this one, it's a very fun little game.  The music is great, but the hilarious scenes that play out because of your cheering are the icing on the cake.  I was skeptical of all the praise I was reading about the game, but they really do pull off a sort of 'stylus choreography' that connects you to the music.

My girlfriend and I have even started yelling "Ouendan!" when we're in some kind of frustrating situation, like having trouble cooking dinner or if we can't find our keys.  ("Ouendan!" is what the people-in-trouble yell (dramatically) to get the cheer squad to come help them with their woes.)

Oh, and you can find it for $33 + $6 shipping from this ebay seller.  He was recommended by a bunch of people on another forum.  I ordered from him and got my copy in 3 days.  In case that link dies, the guy's ebay name is "kyoto_temple_artist".
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 12:34:38 AM »

Here's an IGN page with some vid clips of Ouenden in action.  I have no idea what is happening but I do know that it is unfiltered gaming genius.  They need to translate it and bring it over untouched.  I think they'd be a significiant market for it.

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/746/746980/vids_1.html

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 12:43:40 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Oh, and you can find it for $33 + $6 shipping from this ebay seller.  He was recommended by a bunch of people on another forum.  I ordered from him and got my copy in 3 days.  In case that link dies, the guy's ebay name is "kyoto_temple_artist".

Craaaap!  I ordered mine through Lik-Sang a couple of days ago.  Wish I would have seen that auction!  That's a great price for Ouendan too!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 12:52:32 AM »

Bwahaha!  I checked my order on Lik-Sang and it still hadn't shipped!  So cancelled it and bought that seller's item.  Wooo!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 02:55:38 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Bwahaha!  I checked my order on Lik-Sang and it still hadn't shipped!  So cancelled it and bought that seller's item.  Wooo!

I did the $12 shipping with insurance, and I had a USPS worker deliver it 3 days later on Sunday.  [seinfeld]"Mail on Sunday?" "Oops!"[/seinfeld]  I guess the USPS knew how important Ouendan was.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: